{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is The Squad Stronger Than this time a Fortnight Ago?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Is The Squad Stronger Than this time a Fortnight Ago?

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:23 am

For me, no.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Is The Squad Stronger Than this time a Fortnight Ago?

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 am

wow i agree !!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:07 am

No it’s not, however we have to trust GC a judgement he is the manager he knows what he’s got to play with. Don’t forget we can still sign free agents.
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:11 am

yorkshire stag wrote:wow i agree !!
bellwhiff wrote:For me, no.

Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my keyboard, oh Lord, why don't we?

:lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:29 am

No, the squad is emphatically weaker than it was 2 weeks ago but the team is only affected by Cook's departure.
We have lost high earners at a time when it is strongly rumoured from within the club that our last three managers were paying over the odds.
The manager can only be judged on the window by whether anyone else comes in and how we play.
This squad has failed us and taken the mickey in terms of performances and fitness for more than 13 months so I will not be mourning any departures unless this is now our squad settled until season end.
Let's wait for the manager to explain it and watch his new squad and then decide
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:18 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:No, the squad is emphatically weaker than it was 2 weeks ago but the team is only affected by Cook's departure.
We have lost high earners at a time when it is strongly rumoured from within the club that our last three managers were paying over the odds.
The manager can only be judged on the window by whether anyone else comes in and how we play.
This squad has failed us and taken the mickey in terms of performances and fitness for more than 13 months so I will not be mourning any departures unless this is now our squad settled until season end.
Let's wait for the manager to explain it and watch his new squad and then decide

He’s (GC) is weeding, that’s all.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:40 am

Squad is fitter, if that means stronger, it is.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby James » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 am

How do we know until we‘ve seen all the signings play?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:53 am

Huge risk replacing Mellis & Khan who both have ability with 2 lads who have barely played a competitive game of men’s football between them.

Riley made sense with Whites injury problems.

Cook should never have been let go, we’re now light up top.

On the face of it I’d say our options feel weaker, but we’ll see how it materialise’s and hope GC’s judgement is correct.. we need it to be!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 am

On paper we have weakened but all great players started out without a league game under their belt. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:04 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:No, the squad is emphatically weaker than it was 2 weeks ago but the team is only affected by Cook's departure.

Absolutely agree.
If this had been last Monday (before the Oldham debacle) we would have not questioned it as much
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:11 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Is that another name for cost cutting ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:17 am

Amber Andy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Is that another name for cost cutting ?

It is cost cutting, but in a good way imo. Mellis and Khan weren't playing under GC and didn't look like they were gonna burst onto the scene under him either. They won't have been on small wages either I don't think. We are still light in midfield but if they weren't playing for us it's no big loss really
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:35 am

Stronger in skill....NO. Stronger in all players pulling in the same direction as the manager wants....Possibly. Only Cook worth his subs place out the three that have gone imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:40 am

A bit conflicted but I was happier when another midfielder arrived late on as I was concerned about squad depth more than anything, I still am a little. 1 or 2 injuries and the bench could look very young?

I think the first team is about the same strength when I’d have really liked to see strengthening. The benefit I see is a few younger and fitter player that can play the GC way but can any of them pick a pass like mellis and Khan or impact a game like cook off the bench?

I generally agree with the weeding comment it was players GC had decided weren’t going to start that has left. Are we stronger for it? Not so sure but he had to change something to improve.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:44 am

It's hard to say because we have essentially signed 3 going lads who haven't kicked a ball between them, they may turn out to be gems however.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:50 am

lifestags wrote:It's hard to say because we have essentially signed 3 going lads who haven't kicked a ball between them, they may turn out to be gems however.

I'm pretty sure they've all kicked a ball before. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:56 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Absolutely agree.
If this had been last Monday (before the Oldham debacle) we would have not questioned it as much

Gfb is absolutely spot on, for those that travel to the away games, energy and effort is required from all the players not one or two. Now makes sense why Cook didn't celebrate his goal last week. .
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:02 am

As stated elsewhere, our conference squads under Cox were far, far stronger in depth than what we have now.

Worrying.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:18 am

Yes. We have removed 3 players who didn’t want to play for us and were probably on big wages.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:36 am

We obviously arent stronger. I'm hoping that GC can galvanise this smaller group but let's be honest the window has been pretty disastrous. The owner, manager and majority of the fans have spent the last couple of months panning this group of players and now we need them to keep us in the league. Okay, the maths are on our side points-wise but if Stevenage can do a Macclesfield from last season then it becomes nervous.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:37 am

You're saying Logan Khan and cook didn't want to play for us, how do you know that, maybe the manager froze them out, which then makes you feel like that. There is very little skill or creativity left, and if the manager wants a fight I'd have thought Cook was that sort of player!
So for me no, we are weaker, Riley looked good on Saturday, the other three are untried at this level and should only be back ups, who's the competition for their places? Saying that I hope we stuff Carlisle, but I can't see it.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:59 am

bellwhiff wrote:For me, no.

Stronger? - time will tell.
Weaker? - No
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:05 am

Bad apples gone

The rest have a third of a season to prove they are worth a contract next season.

Are we weaker? individually yes, but as a team? watch this space I suppose.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:12 pm

In my opinion the squad is significantly weaker now.
Even if the likes of Mellis, Cook & Khan don't start games, they offered some attacking intent as impact subs - and they haven't been replaced.
The loss of Cook has definitely weakened our attack.

I am concerned that GC has told too many players that they can look for another club. That is a massive risk when he needs players to raise their game in a relegation battle and they are going to be out of contract in a few months. I mentioned this a few weeks ago - and we are sliding ever nearer the bottom of the table.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum