{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Washed up/past it/has-been signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Washed up/past it/has-been signings

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:42 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It's a disgrace that Johnny Miller has been described as washed up/past it/has been on this thread.

One of the finest footballers to ever turn out for the Stags with an absolute Exocet of a shot. He was far from past it when he came to this club and still a relatively young man. He was only 26 when he came here and made 113 appearances before going on to Port Vale and played for a further 2 seasons.

He was that well respected that he gained employment with the council in their leisure department before becoming the mayor's driver.

If that is how we are judging players then I'm very pleased that posters on here are not in our scouting network.

Miller was a class player in our best ever season. Bordering on legendary IMO.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 am

smulls wrote:Arthur Mann

Good player.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 am

Jon Olav Hjelde
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:57 am

Sneag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It's a disgrace that Johnny Miller has been described as washed up/past it/has been on this thread.

One of the finest footballers to ever turn out for the Stags with an absolute Exocet of a shot. He was far from past it when he came to this club and still a relatively young man. He was only 26 when he came here and made 113 appearances before going on to Port Vale and played for a further 2 seasons.

He was that well respected that he gained employment with the council in their leisure department before becoming the mayor's driver.

If that is how we are judging players then I'm very pleased that posters on here are not in our scouting network.

Miller was a class player in our best ever season. Bordering on legendary IMO.

It's this type of thread that sorts out those that know what they are talking about and those that don't. It should be a sticky to use as a handy reference tool for when the mud slinging starts.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:32 am

Apologies - I think my post was misunderstood. I was trying to say that we had some legends who many people thought were ‘washed up’ when they came to us, but were by no means past it and they were excellent for us. (Eg Johnny Miller and all those other great players I mentioned, who were excellent for us). I’m a big Johnny Miller fan.
My fault for not making that clear.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:07 am

Billy the fish wrote:David Kelly

He did ok for us . Scored a few goals!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:19 am

David Kelly was a good signing. 4 goals in 11(6) appearances in our Division 4 (League 2) promotion season in 2001-2002. He added that vital bit of experience to get us over the line.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Decent player in a great team. But boy that penalty.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:51 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:David Kelly was a good signing. 4 goals in 11(6) appearances in our Division 4 (League 2) promotion season in 2001-2002. He added that vital bit of experience to get us over the line.

As said, an old head coming off the bench. Can remember him being fouled on the halfway line and managing to fall over in the box to get a pen.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:57 pm

I agree with you. Wonderful player for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Dan.

End of!!!

:lol: Could not resist, sorry.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Dan wrote:Daley Thompson.

I still regret that he never actually played for us. I know that his football skills were probably rather basic, but surely he could have been afforded five minutes on the pitch, if only for Stags PR reasons.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:02 pm

Bradders wrote:
Dan wrote:Daley Thompson.

I still regret that he never actually played for us. I know that his football skills were probably rather basic, but surely he could have been afforded five minutes on the pitch, if only for Stags PR reasons.
He did play for our reserves.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:24 pm

Vice President wrote:Frank Wignall
Johnny Miller
John Matthews
Steve Whitworth
Barry Daines :roll:
Emlyn Hughes (pre season friendlies - but still looked good though)
Tony Lormor
Scott Sellars
Mark Stallard

... all good players in their day (apart from Barry Daines), but all well past their peak by the time they came to us.

And Peter Morris was a 'washed up' signing as a player, but give him his due - he was a successful player/manager.

Ian Greaves signed a few: (Whatmore, Whitworth, Cassells [class act], Chamberlain, Vinter, Trevor Christie, Brian Cox) - but they were all significantly superior to our current crop.

There has been a misunderstanding. I have conflated 'those that were past it' with 'those that people thought were past it, but clearly were not'. Ignore this post, because clearly players like Johnny Miller, Keith Cassells, Neville Chamberlain, Mick Vinter & Trevor Christie were fine players for MTFC, and were defintely not washed up!I hope I have cleared that up? ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm

Vice President wrote:
Johnny Miller
John Matthews
Steve Whitworth
Tony Lormor
Scott Sellars
Mark Stallard

... all good players in their day (apart from Barry Daines), but all well past their peak by the time they came to us.

And Peter Morris was a 'washed up' signing as a player, but give him his due - he was a successful player/manager.

Ian Greaves signed a few: (Whatmore, Whitworth, Cassells [class act], Chamberlain, Vinter, Trevor Christie, Brian Cox) - but they were all significantly superior to our current crop.

There has been a misunderstanding. I have conflated 'those that were past it' with 'those that people thought were past it, but clearly were not'. Ignore this post, because clearly players like Johnny Miller, Keith Cassells, Neville Chamberlain, Mick Vinter & Trevor Christie were fine players for MTFC, and were defintely not washed up!I hope I have cleared that up? ;)

I have put you on my list.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 pm

Jacob Mellis?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:55 pm

The One wrote:
Vice President wrote:
Johnny Miller
John Matthews
Steve Whitworth
Tony Lormor
Scott Sellars
Mark Stallard

What is that supposed to mean?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:59 pm

Vice President wrote:
The One wrote:
Vice President wrote:
Johnny Miller
John Matthews
Steve Whitworth
Tony Lormor
Scott Sellars
Mark Stallard

What is that supposed to mean?

Don't tell him your name Pike.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:03 am

I am Spartacus wrote:Dan.

End of!!!

:lol: Could not resist, sorry.

Grow up, it doesn’t even make sense :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:45 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Joe Laidlaw

I remember when he signed and was warming up, first game of the season we were in the North Stand and he was shooting towards us, I turned to my Grandad and asked who the new coach, the tubby chap with the tash was.

It's a bit sad that Keith Cassells, Johnny Miller and John Matthews have been mentioned on this list, three of the finest footballers ever to grace our shirt, they really, really did grace it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:20 am

Vice President wrote:
Johnny Miller
John Matthews
Steve Whitworth
Tony Lormor
Scott Sellars
Mark Stallard

Conflated - has to be the word of the day
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby northern stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:56 am

Anybody remember Dennis Martin ?
One of the first players I ever saw that wore gloves while playing, he always looked like he wanted to be somewhere else when he played for us.
Another one was Gordon Owen
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 am

northern stag wrote:Anybody remember Dennis Martin ?
One of the first players I ever saw that wore gloves while playing, he always looked like he wanted to be somewhere else when he played for us.
Another one was Gordon Owen

Martin was one of the slowest players I've ever seen. Missed a pen v Spurs.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby kentish stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Paul Goodwin. I think thats how you spell his name, always reminded me of a horse running when he ran.
A SHIRE HORSE ,
kentish stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 pm

kentish stag wrote:Paul Goodwin. I think thats how you spell his name, always reminded me of a horse running when he ran.
A SHIRE HORSE ,

Do you mean Dave Goodwin?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum