{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Matt Preston

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Matt Preston is absolute sewage

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:59 pm

I know, if JD had signed him there'd be posts on here saying he lacks the contacts etc.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:00 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:He needs dropping, that’s definitely a fair assessment even ‘against the grain’ Rob can surely agree with.

I will say there’s a good player in there, as last season shown.

Probably inaccurate to describe him as “sewage” though, don’t you think?

True, I’d call him an embarrassment.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:Sick of reading hearing people say I can't believe it's the same team as last year.......

After February we were garbage or 2nd half of the season teams had worked out how to play against us.....

Alas we've took the 2nd half of last season into what looks like its going to be a full season this season

We were garbage? Give it a rest. You really count being in contention for automatic promotion right up until the final whistle of the final game of the season as garbage? People say from Feb we weren't great, we lost our 5th game of the season so far by the end of Feb, that's not garbage. We won half our games in Feb. March was a poor month we won 2 out of 6. April was 2 out of 5. I'm getting a little sick of people rewriting history. For a club with our history last season was a great season the last 3 games of the regular season were a disappointment but it was a platform to build on.

Don't come on hear talking sense. Highest league position in 15 years complete failure. Rip up the book and start again.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:14 pm

adamstag wrote:What I don’t get is that players like macca and Preston - blatantly obviously not good enough for league football at present keep getting games.

They’re absolutely raspberry, I find it really concerning.

Then we go sign a midfielder who’s played 1 competitive game. Lord almighty - but I hope he turns out to be a great player and we’ve signed lads like that before

I agree regarding Charlsey. I hope GC has spotted a gem and that he can help improve our absolutely awful midfield, but it’s a big ask of him considering he’s played 1 professional football match and is coming off a serious injury.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dp1976 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Attitude stinks, body language terrible, embarrassingly poor season, to me plainly obvious he does not want to be here
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Too many on here with too much anger.

Avoid Twitter this evening then, at least one Stags ‘fan’ has laid into Bishop and Preston. After the shameful incident with Sir Mal won’t people ever learn?

There is no comparison between passing on your feelings to a player who you think is underperforming and racist abuse.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:05 am

bellwhiff wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Avoid Twitter this evening then, at least one Stags ‘fan’ has laid into Bishop and Preston. After the shameful incident with Sir Mal won’t people ever learn?

There is no comparison between passing on your feelings to a player who you think is underperforming and racist abuse.

Hiding behind a keyboard whilst ‘ passing on feelings ‘ in an abusive manner is the same method of operation as the young Spirite lad used to ‘pass on his feelings’ about Sir Mal.

It is not the content I was alluding to but the manner in which it was delivered. Stop and think before you post whatever the forum for how many people would have the plums to say what they type to someone’s face - very few.

There was an old saying, roughly along the lines of ‘I hope you are as good with your fists as you are with your mouth’ which sadly is lost on the keyboard generation.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am

I am Spartacus wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Hiding behind a keyboard whilst ‘ passing on feelings ‘ in an abusive manner is the same method of operation as the young Spirite lad used to ‘pass on his feelings’ about Sir Mal.

It is not the content I was alluding to but the manner in which it was delivered. Stop and think before you post whatever the forum for how many people would have the plums to say what they type to someone’s face - very few.

There was an old saying, roughly along the lines of ‘I hope you are as good with your fists as you are with your mouth’ which sadly is lost on the keyboard generation.

Could not have put it better myself. Being accused of being against the grain on here is a nice place to be, so many short termist, angry supporters happy to slag off all our players. I agree Preston has had a poor season, so have many of our players since the stupid decision to sack DF, backed by so many on here including most of the current angry mob. So where I sit, and always have sat, is that it is right to discuss the merits of our players, whether they should be played or not. However, these people are human beings and I believe deserve to be spoken about with respect. Sadly respect is a word so many on this forum just do not understand. I object to Preston being called sewage, it is pathetic, childish and an embarassment for the person (whoever he is) who posted it.

As for your comments belly about passing on comments about a player, do you think the original poster made an intelligent, objective assessment of Matt's season so far? One of the best decisions I ever made was to deliberately avoid Twitter, FB, Instagram etc, just the best decision ever! People kill themselves every day because of what is written on these social media outlets and if you have ever dealt with the repercussions of that, then you will perhaps gain a better perspective.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:57 am

Preston made it clear when he joined that he had turned down other clubs to sign for Mansfield because of Flitcroft and Futcher, who he felt could really help his career. They did, he was very good last season despite what some people are trying to rewrite. Our defence hasn’t been the same since Flitcroft and Futcher left, and I think Futcher was probably mostly responsible for the defensive side of things.

It is also very clear from changing room videos etc. last season that he is very close with Krystian Pearce. He may have been effected by Pearces unhappiness or the treatment of him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:36 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Preston made it clear when he joined that he had turned down other clubs to sign for Mansfield because of Flitcroft and Futcher, who he felt could really help his career. They did, he was very good last season despite what some people are trying to rewrite. Our defence hasn’t been the same since Flitcroft and Futcher left, and I think Futcher was probably mostly responsible for the defensive side of things.

It is also very clear from changing room videos etc. last season that he is very close with Krystian Pearce. He may have been effected by Pearces unhappiness or the treatment of him.

Don't make my heart bleed mate.

The guy is a pro footballer, earning very good money for doing something we would all have probably sold our soul to do but he iseis just not on the same page as he was last season.

Always comes out last, maybe something he likes to do, never looks "up for it", always clutching a bottle of something or other, slow, rash in the tackle and his body language awful.

Maybe he should drop out of footballing duties and go live in Canada with some others who are finding work difficult.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 am

Needs dropping after that. Hes a total liability and seems incapable of learning from his countless mistakes. He might train hard or whatever but on the pitch is where it matters and hes been awful.

You can make all the excuses about last season, DF etc. But pushing a striker over, in the box, as he heads away from goal is nothing short of raspberry.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:46 am

Good player in their somewhere, but his tendancy to do something stupid is killing this team, we need another centre half.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 am

Rob wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Could not have put it better myself. Being accused of being against the grain on here is a nice place to be, so many short termist, angry supporters happy to slag off all our players. I agree Preston has had a poor season, so have many of our players since the stupid decision to sack DF, backed by so many on here including most of the current angry mob. So where I sit, and always have sat, is that it is right to discuss the merits of our players, whether they should be played or not. However, these people are human beings and I believe deserve to be spoken about with respect. Sadly respect is a word so many on this forum just do not understand. I object to Preston being called sewage, it is pathetic, childish and an embarassment for the person (whoever he is) who posted it.

As for your comments belly about passing on comments about a player, do you think the original poster made an intelligent, objective assessment of Matt's season so far? One of the best decisions I ever made was to deliberately avoid Twitter, FB, Instagram etc, just the best decision ever! People kill themselves every day because of what is written on these social media outlets and if you have ever dealt with the repercussions of that, then you will perhaps gain a better perspective.

That’ll be the Bellwhiff, a grandad in his fifties who’s received several bans from various social media platforms for his inappropriate behaviour.

He’s even been known to boast about such behaviour.

Quite embarrassing when you think about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 am

Very saddened to see some of these insulting posts about Matt Preston and if the player visits this site and reads these comments its not going to help him regain his form. Whatever you think of the player good or bad please remember he is one of ours and whilst you are entitled to your opinion sometimes it can have a negative effect on the entire team not just the player.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Jamie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:33 am

diablo wrote:Very saddened to see some of these insulting posts about Matt Preston and if the player visits this site and reads these comments its not going to help him regain his form. Whatever you think of the player good or bad please remember he is one of ours and whilst you are entitled to your opinion sometimes it can have a negative effect on the entire team not just the player.

It works both ways... If Preson had engaged his 3 brain cells yesterday and not needlessly shoved a player, conceding a penalty and the game, he wouldnt be getting pelters.

I hope the player reads this. I hope he knows that his constant and continual mistakes are costing this club dear. Hes stealing a wage this season and needs a rocket up his backside, no a cuddle and a pat on the back.

If he wont learn, doesn't like it here and has had enough. Im sure if tells the gaffer that he'll be allowed to leave. On recent form he wont he missed either.

We shouldn't accept abject failure. We shouldn't accept people making the same mistakes week in week out. If you do that at a normal job you get sacked.
Last edited by Jamie on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 am

I don't care if Preston reads this. He can have the arm around the shoulder after the first or 2nd mistake but that fact is he is incapable of learning from his mistakes, his body language & attitude stinks and clearly no longer wants to be here. He needs a kick up the backside, left to rot in the reserves or sent off to Bolton so he can join his mate DF.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am

I agree that the title of the thread just needs changing to Matt Preston.

In fact there should be just one thread for each player so we don't keep having multiple threads :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 am

Tre Cool wrote:I don't care if Preston reads this. He can have the arm around the shoulder after the first or 2nd mistake but that fact is he is incapable of learning from his mistakes, his body language & attitude stinks and clearly no longer wants to be here. He needs a kick up the backside, left to rot in the reserves or sent off to Bolton so he can join his mate DF.

Yeah but you’re not allowed to say that because the virtue signalling wasters will cry into their chai lattes.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:11 pm

I'm not one for singling out players but the second goal yesterday was crucoal and, let's face it, it's not the first time Preston has lost his head and cost us points this season. After DF''s departure I don't think he wants to be here. We are probably best to go Pearce and Sweeney and then move Preston on in the summer.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Close to signing a Center Back apparently.. who I have no idea
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Close to signing a Center Back apparently.. who I have no idea

Ask Musings he'll be in on the deal :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:08 pm

oldweststander wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Preston made it clear when he joined that he had turned down other clubs to sign for Mansfield because of Flitcroft and Futcher, who he felt could really help his career. They did, he was very good last season despite what some people are trying to rewrite. Our defence hasn’t been the same since Flitcroft and Futcher left, and I think Futcher was probably mostly responsible for the defensive side of things.

Don't make my heart bleed mate.

The guy is a pro footballer, earning very good money for doing something we would all have probably sold our soul to do but he iseis just not on the same page as he was last season.

Always comes out last, maybe something he likes to do, never looks "up for it", always clutching a bottle of something or other, slow, rash in the tackle and his body language awful.

Maybe he should drop out of footballing duties and go live in Canada with some others who are finding work difficult.

It should be remembered professional footballer's are also human beings, subject to the same emotions and life problems as all human beings.

Calling someone " absolute sewage " in these circumstances is abuse, plain and simple.

As I said earlier in the thread, some on here need to find a scapegoat. It has usually been Logan. He's now out the picture, so Preston has been given the mantle.

Time for some on her to show empathy rather than throwing their dummies out of the pram.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:11 pm

diablo wrote:Very saddened to see some of these insulting posts about Matt Preston and if the player visits this site and reads these comments its not going to help him regain his form. Whatever you think of the player good or bad please remember he is one of ours and whilst you are entitled to your opinion sometimes it can have a negative effect on the entire team not just the player.

you wouldn't think so at times. He's lacking in so many areas, not switched on and some of his decisions... well you'd think the oppo manager'd slipped him a thick plain envelope pre match.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Preston is nowhere the player he was last season.He has had 2 red cards I think and has given away 2 needless pens.Bradford and Plymouth.His distribution is poor as well.Until we get a replacement he will be in the side.The same applies to Macca and Bishop.You can only play the players who are in the squad.We are in a relegation battle there is no doubt about that.Can't wait for the season to end and hope we are still a league 2 club.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:51 pm

geoffhill wrote:Preston is nowhere the player he was last season.He has had 2 red cards I think and has given away 2 needless pens.Bradford and Plymouth.His distribution is poor as well.Until we get a replacement he will be in the side.The same applies to Macca and Bishop.You can only play the players who are in the squad.We are in a relegation battle there is no doubt about that.Can't wait for the season to end and hope we are still a league 2 club.

Absolutely right, Geoff.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum