{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Holloway apologises

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Holloway apologises

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:47 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07xsfw7

Approximately 30 minutes in.

Seemed to be reacting to fans behind the dugout.

Probably the same folk who have riled our past 3 managers in the past?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: Holloway apologises

Postby Random Hero » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:44 pm

stagmanrob wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07xsfw7

I was right behind the away dugout. I saw season ticket holders getting quite animated who never usually so much as shout at the referee. Holloway was constantly goading the fans behind the dugout. A young girl in front of us put in an official complaint with the EFL as Holloway had allegedly said something to her.

There may be one or two morons who sit near there, but this was all Holloway’s doing, trust me.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:44 am

I sit in that area too. We all applauded Holloway as he made his way to the dugout at the start of the game. As soon as the game started it was not long before he started telling home supporters sat behind him to go forth and multiply though. At one point he seemed to lose it altogether and threaten anyone sat in earshot. I have always liked Holloway until Saturday but expected better from him. The most telling moment for me was when he suggested Hayden was faking injury as he nursed his leg injury on the floor in front of him. There was no doubt who Hayden was eye balling as he was substituted.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 am

He was a disgrace. Finger gestures from from his anus and various other goading antics. Got a bit back from the fans and our rubbish stewards start on the fans
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:17 am

Holloway is a sort of Steve Evans clone with more experience and slightly more credibility. A good manager though and should get Grimsby going well up the table would have been happy with him here if honest.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 am

At least hes apologised. Most dont...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:11 am

Random Hero wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07xsfw7

I was right behind the away dugout. I saw season ticket holders getting quite animated who never usually so much as shout at the referee. Holloway was constantly goading the fans behind the dugout. A young girl in front of us put in an official complaint with the EFL as Holloway had allegedly said something to her.

There may be one or two morons who sit near there, but this was all Holloway’s doing, trust me.

He’s a crazy carrot muncher ! Lol
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Well done for apologising.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:11 pm

He wouldn't have apologised had stags won........
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Nothing great in apologising, he shouldn't be doing this kind of stuff and typifies a lot that's wrong with the game.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Nothing wrong with fans baiting players or managers its part of the game ,managers and players respond or wind up fans it outrages some fans ,its time some grow a pair ,swearing at young uns is a bit of a stretch,but he has apologized fair do,s
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:13 pm

No need to apologise, having been down to ten for over a hour and held us at bay when we scored for them I felt like jumping up and screaming at the crowd and sky believe me, agony and ecstacy are very close to each other in a very cruel sport
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Holloway has a slate loose.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:55 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:11 am

He can’t complain about that tackle by waterfall, Preston’s 2 reds weren’t much worse and equally out of control.

I like how the article turns into an advert for his new car and the dealership that helped him!

Not sure whether the players and families were thinking the same after a 40 minute lecture
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:31 am

Jimstag wrote:I like how the article turns into an advert for his new car and the dealership that helped him!

Yes, that's quite funny. But he seems to be the complaining type. I don't know how long he waited for Coughlan after the match, but I expect that the Stags manager had other priorities when the final whistle went. Half an hour talking to the players, then radio interviews, then perhaps a chat with the opposition manager (who would surely have left by then?).

It's sort of good if he's criticising Stags players for making the most of suffering a bad challenge. We've all seen what you get for being sporting and trying to get on with the game - absolutely nothing. When we had that record-breaking penalty-free run I'm sure that there were fouls worthy of a penalty, but our players' laudable efforts to play fair meant that we probably lost points over that period. It might not look like it matters this season now, but an extra point or two might just turn out vital one way or another. If just one exaggerated injury or protest to the ref brings us that point or two, then I say bring it on.

One tactic that we should train for is an attacking player entering the penalty area and looking for a foul. Not simulating one, but if there's no obvious way through or useful pass then I'd encourage players to plough on towards goal. Ours seem to give up, or hit a weak shot straight at a defender, or try a pass and give the ball away. As a defender you don't mind that, but would be fearful of the attacker continuing straight at you and forcing you to try and time a hurried tackle perfectly in a confined space - a difficult skill, with a fair chance of a penalty resulting. If the tackle isn't perfect, then the attacker should take the opportunity to allow contact and hit the ground.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum