{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm

Can you confirm that Hayden White’s first step over since returning from injury was on the 35th minute?

Welcome back Hayden.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Listening today martin ,your criticism of macdonald ,to me seemed poor ,at least he tried ,and your comment in the second half saying he was getting worse ,was totally out of order ,just my opinion
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 pm

spanishstag wrote:Listening today martin ,your criticism of macdonald ,to me seemed poor ,at least he tried ,and your comment in the second half saying he was getting worse ,was totally out of order ,just my opinion

“At least he’s tried”.

He’s a professional footballer, he’s paid very VERY good money. It should be the bare minimum.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:54 pm

spanishstag wrote:Listening today martin ,your criticism of macdonald ,to me seemed poor ,at least he tried ,and your comment in the second half saying he was getting worse ,was totally out of order ,just my opinion

But he did get worse over the course of the game.
Two years ago, he was rumoured to be the subject of a quarter of a million pound offer and today people laughed when he was made man of the match.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:58 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:

Two years ago, he was rumoured to be the subject of a quarter of a million pound offer and today people laughed when he was made man of the match.

At least he made an effort ,i thought he put a shift in ,,people laughed ,ok name me one player who deserved it
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:10 pm

spanishstag wrote:

At least he made an effort ,i thought he put a shift in ,,people laughed ,ok name me one player who deserved it

None of them deserved it. Shame really.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:11 pm

player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Wil0211 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Thought Ogbu up front for Grimsby was excellent

Could not believe it when they took him off as he was a real handful
Wil0211
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Wil0211 wrote:Thought Ogbu up front for Grimsby was excellent

Could not believe it when they took him off as he was a real handful

True, Ogbu and his replacement Rose were outstanding in holding the ball up and making runs.
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 pm

I’m pretty sure White did make one good cross early in the second half, can’t recall the exact circs off the top of my head.

Mellis played one excellent pass to MacDonald to put him through on goal but his touch was awful. Also a nice pass to CJ on the right channel in the second half.

Also it was Maynard who set up the Mellis chance in the second half, not CJ.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:54 pm

The fans hero, McDonald have been poor for weeks. All rush and no end product, time to leave him out.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:05 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’m pretty sure White did make one good cross early in the second half, can’t recall the exact circs off the top of my head.

Mellis played one excellent pass to MacDonald to put him through on goal but his touch was awful. Also a nice pass to CJ on the right channel in the second half.

Also it was Maynard who set up the Mellis chance in the second half, not CJ.

certainly nothing came of the White cross, but ok.

on the Mellis chance, it was good play from Hamilton to win the ball back after losing it, but you're right it was then Maynard who teed up Mellis. Amended, thanks.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby TiminBrazil » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:12 pm

The Stags have lacked a decent midfield player and it has shown since the beginning of the season. Chipping the ball forward (often to nobody) is not a great strategy. McDonald did get worse as the game went on. Which of our midfielders can beat their man and attack the defence to start breaking up their organization? The short answer is none of them.
TiminBrazil
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:21 pm

Kernow wrote:The fans hero, McDonald have been poor for weeks. All rush and no end product, time to leave him out.

He’s not a league standard player. I’ve said that for ages.

He runs around lots like a headless chicken, occasionally manages to get the ball and immediately loses it or kicks it out of play.

As georgefostersbeard mentions we all laughed and were in disbelief when they afforded him the luxury of MOTM.

He’s the exact type of player that we need rid of at the earliest possible convenience.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:23 pm

spanishstag wrote:

The at least he tried argument always baffles me . I can confidently say that if I was given the chance to start next week then there would not be a player giving more than me .my 63year old knees and extra 5 stone would make me completely useless but in some people’s eyes I would get man of the match for effort.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Hard to believe that the Chad, sponsors, and my man of the match is given less than the totally ineffective CJ, and only a point more than the awful Mellis.
Normally Hamilton is my favourite player, but largely anonymous this time. Macdonald never gave up, played in midfield and defence at the same time, had shots on goal, and sprayed quality passes forwards throughout. I'm sure that he had more than half of our effective possession, and put in some decent corners as well. I thought he got better as the second half went on.
White was a threat going forward but really should have been subbed earlier, before he burnt himself out. He clearly blamed himself for the goal, as his tired legs left him out of position and unable to fulfil his defensive duties. You could see that he was inconsolable after the goal.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Alex MacDonald was my Man of the Match just for sheer hard work and effort in the 2nd half even though there was a lack of quality with his passing. He was also clearly fouled at the start of the build up for the Grimsby goal (tackle from behind). Who Scored also gave him the top rating of 7.5 for the Stags. His overall stats were good compared to the other Stags players:

8.7% of our possession (Mal Benning 8.5%, Jacob Mellis 7.5%, Neal Bishop 3.6%, CJ Hamilton 2.5%)
69% pass succession (42 out of 61 and 1 key pass)
4 tackles
3 aerial duals
2 dribbles
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum