{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:33 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:What should be say then?

All I am saying is calling your own players unfit and overweight in the press is not wise. Best left to the training ground. As I said, he might be right, but to me the interview was "It's not my fault" when I thought the tactics he employed were hard to fathom. I am very wazzed off after that inept, pathetic display. Utterly gutless.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Rob wrote:

All I am saying is calling your own players unfit and overweight in the press is not wise. Best left to the training ground. As I said, he might be right, but to me the interview was "It's not my fault" when I thought the tactics he employed were hard to fathom. I am very wazzed off after that inept, pathetic display. Utterly gutless.

Listen again & take the wax out your tabs.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Re: Coughlan post match

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Rob wrote:Listened to him on Radio Forest on way home, not impressed at all, pretty much just slagged off JD. Yes they are not your players but they are your, ahem, tactics, which were very hard to ascertain.

As others have pointed out, I think you listened to a completely different interview. :shock:

He didn’t ‘slag off JD’ at all. What is wrong with you?!

How DARE you question Rob ?

How very dare you indeed.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:It's not the tactics Rob, it's the inability to carry them out as they are not match fit.

The same reason we had so many red cards early in the season because they were a yard slower than the opposition.

Also the reason why we have had so many injuries, because conditioning has been poor.

That is down to having amateurs running the show and not having a proper pre season. Which was JD's fault

Bang on.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Rob wrote:

You have interpreted what GC said - Wrongly in my opinion.

Nothing he said in the interview was inaccurate. He didn’t name names. He didn’t use the word “overweight”. I find it hard to understand how you have translated what was said into “its not my fault”

You’ve every right to feel “wazzed off”. Most of us are. But your credibility is eroded by the bizarre slant you have applied to the manager’s words.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:It's not the tactics Rob, it's the inability to carry them out as they are not match fit.

The same reason we had so many red cards early in the season because they were a yard slower than the opposition.

Also the reason why we have had so many injuries, because conditioning has been poor.

That is down to having amateurs running the show and not having a proper pre season. Which was JD's fault

Bang on.

Nailed it.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Ok have it your way, the manager got everything bang on tactically and we lost because the players were not fit enough to carry out his instructions. For that, he did not blame his predecessor and he did not mention players having too much body fat. Ok now :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Rob wrote:

Good Lord.

He gave an honest appraisal.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Rob wrote:Ok have it your way, the manager got everything bang on tactically and we lost because the players were not fit enough to carry out his instructions. For that, he did not blame his predecessor and he did not mention players having too much body fat. Ok now :lol:

Strop on.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Rob wrote:

OK, tactically he got it wrong, he admitted his substitutions didn't add anything.

He didn't blame JD, he did say the club had already lost one manager this season and he didn't want to be the second. Coming in when he did was not at an ideal time with games coming thick and fast, the timing was not his fault but the clubs decision makers loyalty to JD.

Preston for one is very unfit, add Mellis, Cook, Logan and maybe Pearce too. Hamilton is a waste of a shirt unless he gets the service and he then delivers, neither was the case.

A mate of mine would say the team has lost its mojo, that suggests to me that most would leave tomorrow if the opportunity came along, but sadly for them and for the supporters, they have little or no value in the transfer market
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:38 pm

Rob wrote:Ok have it your way, the manager got everything bang on tactically and we lost because the players were not fit enough to carry out his instructions. For that, he did not blame his predecessor and he did not mention players having too much body fat. Ok now :lol:

So you were wrong and misquoted made up what he said ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm

The One wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:

Bang on.

Nailed it.

But they did it NYD against 10 men against a side higher in the table,and imo they looked fit enough then. So why not today?

They didn't look 'unfit' just thoroughly clueless and woefully inept.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Being unfit doesnt just mean running... it's being switched on as well, making the right decisions during a game. We lack some physical fitness and have all season but the group seems mentally unfit too.

Sorry to say but it was tactically wrong today against 10 men. We kept going long and kept getting naff all. They let us play around the back 4 and just dealt with out powder puff long ball game. We needed to work it round midfield and should of introduced Khan instead of a 3rd striker, imo.

The manager needs time. Its unfair to judge so soon having not had any proper time between games. But I'm nervous, and gutted this season is now officially dead. I had hoped he might rescue it but it seems clear his way of playing doesnt suit our team of snow flakes and I doubt he'll be able to make enough changes this month to sort that.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:04 pm

But long ball's his game according to Brovers fans so tint gonna change a deal.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:15 pm

Spiritater wrote:But long ball's his game according to Brovers fans so tint gonna change a deal.

We didn't play long ball on Wednesday.
His major error today was trying the same tactic against a very different team and then not having the nous or guts to change it when it was clear it wasn't working
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:16 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Spiritater wrote:But long ball's his game according to Brovers fans so tint gonna change a deal.

His major error today was trying the same tactic against a very different team and then not having the nous or guts to change it when it was clear it wasn't working

That's how I saw it too. The players were poor, so were our tactics.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:17 pm

Bit like JD then.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:40 pm

Bet that supposedly crap hotel down south doesn’t seem such a bad idea to him now :lol:

I bet he didn’t actually think in his worst nightmares we’d be this bad
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:03 pm

You can understand why he picked an unchanged side after such a good winning performance on Wednesday, but in hindsight he should have freshened it up by not starting Bishop ( cant play two games in three days).

Also it didn't help that Mellis was playing with an injury after being clobbered by Waterfall in the sending off.

So in effect we played with no midfield and it showed.

Subs had no effect especially with Rose having to play left wing when Cook came on.

It just seemed that GC was making a point to JR that he needs a lot of fresh blood in January, however I am not sure he will get it.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Warsop Stag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:04 pm

He gave me the impression that he’s now assessed the squad and knows what he needs to do. Personally, I was very encouraged by how he spoke.

Our results for the rest of this season are, like it or not, largely irrelevant. This season’s a gonner and is now all about how we prepare for next year.

Cogs has had 5 games and two weeks with someone else’s players, any criticism of him is unjust and utterly ridiculous.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Rob wrote:

He admitted that the subs and change's he made in today's game didn't work. He also said players weren't fit, he didn't mention their weight. Stop trying to pick something to point out so you can slate him.

If you don't like him, or the team don't bother coming
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:48 pm

His comments in his interview with Stevo sort of insinuated that he maybe thinks just one or two signings this window won't be enough.

We looked like relegation fodder today.
Imagine if Grimsby would have had 11 players, which they should have had really as that was never a red.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:10 pm

stagmanrob wrote:His comments in his interview with Stevo sort of insinuated that he maybe thinks just one or two signings this window won't be enough.

Imagine if Grimsby would have had 11 players, which they should have had really as that was never a red.

It was blatantly a red
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm

adamstag wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:His comments in his interview with Stevo sort of insinuated that he maybe thinks just one or two signings this window won't be enough.

It was blatantly a red

It was mis-timed, Mellis just got there before he did. If that was one of our players getting a red for the same thing, we'd be complaining about it. Game has gone totally soft.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:03 am

Rob wrote:

That's how I saw it too. The players were poor, so were our tactics.

If you don't hang about too much i'm sure you can still pick up a half season ticket, at Bolton, hes doing such a sterling job they have won less games than us this season
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum