{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby scorefred sponsored by fishing for 3 more points

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grimsby scorefred sponsored by fishing for 3 more points

Postby nick_stags » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:03 pm

WVStag wrote:Not one Mansfield player played well today and Coughlan tactically got it wrong.

When down to 10 men, generally always become more organised and resolute because they have to be. In these times, you have to have the ability to break teams down with some creativity and we did not have it. Bringing Bishop off and switching to a narrow CF trio was an error. Instead, we played with an asymmetrical 433 with only one 'wide' player, CJ, who was poor today. Widening the pitch is critical (and obvious) to opening up space between the opposition. We didn't do that.

Coughlan claimed he 'couldn't have done anymore' and I do not agree at all. He got the shape wrong, as well as the personnel in my view. Khan should've been introduced when we needed more creativity and the reshuffle of shape was ineffectual.

Both manager and players let us down today.

Thanks Pep.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:03 pm

adamstag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Well, I haven’t seen anyone mention that we’re in a relegation battle as of yet. The meltdown hasn’t been quite as bad I expected.

We're not out of the woods though are we?

We probably need 20 more points this season to stay up.

Show me where they're coming from.

Whether you actually meant it or not we’re quite clearly not going to go down.

He does mean it.

Do we? We’ve played over half a season and Morecambe and Stevenage have 18 points.

There’s also six teams below us wondering where their points are coming from.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:08 pm

nick_stags wrote:
WVStag wrote:Not one Mansfield player played well today and Coughlan tactically got it wrong.

When down to 10 men, generally always become more organised and resolute because they have to be. In these times, you have to have the ability to break teams down with some creativity and we did not have it. Bringing Bishop off and switching to a narrow CF trio was an error. Instead, we played with an asymmetrical 433 with only one 'wide' player, CJ, who was poor today. Widening the pitch is critical (and obvious) to opening up space between the opposition. We didn't do that.

Coughlan claimed he 'couldn't have done anymore' and I do not agree at all. He got the shape wrong, as well as the personnel in my view. Khan should've been introduced when we needed more creativity and the reshuffle of shape was ineffectual.

Thanks Pep.

Yeah stop talking tactics and think that’s actually make sense.

Can’t you talk about the gate being closed or where the dugouts are or the half time warm up?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Came from 2 v 0 down three times under JD's tenure all against 11 men I think too Adam
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Spiritater wrote:Came from 2 v 0 down three times under JD's tenure all against 11 men I think too Adam

Fair enough, if there were 2 relegation spaces I’d be more concerned in a normal season.

Whereas we shouldn’t take the eye off the ball - the combination of Stevenage, morecambe and Macclesfield should be enough for everyone else to be fine.

That were contemplating relegation actually happening with the budget we’ve got is pretty pretty extraordinary though
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:13 pm

adamstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Well, I haven’t seen anyone mention that we’re in a relegation battle as of yet. The meltdown hasn’t been quite as bad I expected.

Maybe not this season !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
adamstag wrote:

He does mean it.

Do we? We’ve played over half a season and Morecambe and Stevenage have 18 points.

There’s also six teams below us wondering where their points are coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're odds on or anything like that, but while we're fraternising with lowest echelon of L2, I'll be worried. Agree 9 points is a nice cushion but we just dont know which team will turn up from game to game. The side who clawed it back at Cambridge or the side that capitulated today? I hope that these players have the professionalism to see us safe even if they know that the manager doesn't fancy them for next season. I don't trust them to do that despite believing that GC is the man to sort it out in the long term. what scares me is if the players reject GC and his philosophy and just plod along toward another manager sacking regardless of what happens to the club. I think there are a few in the squad who still miss their mate Flitcroft.

All we need to do is look after ourselves and not rely on those below us not turning it round. I can't wait to be safe this season so we can just put it behind us. Like I said, 20 more points ASAFP, then breath, and take stock.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:32 pm

I doubt Morecambe will top 40 points. But we have to play them again, so there's three of them for them
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:44 pm

Some of the posts on here ,my god new manager ,same old players ,macdonald suddenly thinks he's hoddle trying to ping 30 yard balls about ,but give him his due he did try rose ,does nothing ,bishop needs binning ,bad day today
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

Thanks Pep.

Can’t you talk about the gate being closed or where the dugouts are or the half time warm up?

You’re spot on. Can’t apologise enough. Slap me if I do something silly like debate tactics again.

My PM’s are open to anybody who wants a football discussion, mind.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:59 pm

WVStag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

Thanks Pep.

You’re spot on. Can’t apologise enough. Slap me if I do something silly like debate tactics again.

My PM’s are open to anybody who wants a football discussion, mind.

I agree with everything you said.
It was crying out for Khan, and more width.
The problem is though, we have no decent wide men capable of even a half decent cross.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:33 am

I thought we were far too cautious today after Grimsby went down to 10 men in the first half. We should have gone three at the back straight away. You don't need four defenders marking one attacker. Added to that was that both Neal Bishop and Jacob Mellis were playing very deep and were almost sat on top of Krystian Pearce and Matt Preston. There were a couple of times where we had 5 outfield players behind the ball when Mellis/Bishop had possession and Grimsby were tightly marking the other 4 players (CJ and Macca out wide and Nicky Maynard and Danny Rose up front). We needed to push up the pitch and play Jacob Mellis or Otis Khan as an advanced midfield player in the hole with CJ Hamilton and Hayden White as wing backs.

I would also have brought Andy Cook on for Danny Rose at half time as we were smashing it long but Andy Cook was hopeless today. I don't think he won one header.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:40 am

Completely agree Darren. We said at half time we needed to go to a back 3. I'd have taken MacDonald off, played White and CJ as wingers and played 3 up.top, so 3-4-3. In the end we did nothing, which was very frustrating.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 am

Tippy Tappy has highlighted the problem, we had too few players to aim for. There were more Stags players behind the ball than in front, no runs, no movement as we were overrun with their two banks of four. Needed to be quicker, switch quicker, move quicker it wasn't.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:04 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Evens Dempster beat these. Courtesy of a 96th minute pearce goal. We even had White sent off after the hour mark.

Ho dear :shock: :think: :oops: things need to pick up sharpish :banghead:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:01 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Evens Dempster beat these. Courtesy of a 96th minute pearce goal. We even had White sent off after the hour mark.

Ho dear :shock: :think: :oops: things need to pick up sharpish :banghead:

We also lost 4-0 at home to Cambridge under dempster and won 3-2 away under GC.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum