{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Field Mill pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Field Mill pitch

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:28 am

Have to say, even with the silky skills of Mezz n the team & how much has been spent on it, it’s a right cut up mud bath at the moment
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Field Mill pitch

Postby Sneag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:46 am

Not sure how other pitches round the EFL are holding up, but this has been the wettest Autumn since records began.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:05 am

Defiantly contributed to the type of match we had yesterday.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:18 am

As stated above, the pitch has been subjected to enormous amounts of water in recent months and I'm surprised we haven't had games called off.

Although it wasn't at its best yesterday, I'm sure it is better than it would have been in past years if subjected to the same amount of rain. Credit to the ground staff for their efforts. Hopefully with all the brussels consumed over the past few days, there will be a bit of wind about to dry it up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:29 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Have to say, even with the silky skills of Mezz n the team & how much has been spent on it, it’s a right cut up mud bath at the moment

Just one game called off in more than five years. I think that's a fantastic record.

There was a lot of rain building up to this game, especially in the morning. I thought the pitch played well in the circumstances.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby west country stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:39 am

mez & his team do very well with the care of the playing surface , but cant control mother nature .
:coys:
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:04 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Have to say, even with the silky skills of Mezz n the team & how much has been spent on it, it’s a right cut up mud bath at the moment

Just one game called off in more than five years. I think that's a fantastic record.

There was a lot of rain building up to this game, especially in the morning. I thought the pitch played well in the circumstances.

observation not a criticism Marty lad
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:07 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

That doesn’t really explain the patches ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby BigDave » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:29 am

Andy O out with the fork saving us all
BigDave
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jimstag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 am

I agree Martin, Mez and team do a great job. I remember when we were always the first match off if there was a hint of heavy rain!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:41 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

The patches can be a result of stadium geography, i. e. the way in which sunlight moves around the ground and how rain gets in. Some of the patches appear to be in the shadow of the main stand
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:57 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

The patches can be a result of stadium geography, i. e. the way in which sunlight moves around the ground and how rain gets in. Some of the patches appear to be in the shadow of the main stand

The patches could also be explained by the fact it's not just used the by mens team a point I think a few forget.

Ladies and youth teams also use it which gives it significantly less time to recover.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:49 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Have we got one of those light gantries that they use on the grass?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Have we got one of those light gantries that they use on the grass?

I dont think we do have a heat light gantry which may be good idea for the future for the patches that dont get enough sunlight.
December has been a very wet month, the u18 cup fixture against QPR had to be cancelled do to a waterlogged pitch recently as 12th December and its not recovered since they played the rearranged game
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby HU7stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Yes, i think they do, as in the below on a tweet by Mez (unless we hire these in). Second tweet by Mez shows the pitch condition on the 7th December.

Incidentally, I think Mez and his team do a great job. As others have already have said, the sheer amount of rain we've had not just in the build up to the game but in the months prior as well, along with the amount of matches played on the pitch will have taken its toll.

HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:16 pm

We need a desso pitch.......

Think they cost between £300k-£500k though.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:44 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:I dont think we do have a heat light gantry

Yes we do. It's often been in place by the time post match interviews take place.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby DogsDoDahs » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:I dont think we do have a heat light gantry

Yes we do. It's often been in place by the time post match interviews take place.

Thanks for that Martin I had seen some behind JD during interviews but thought they were at away games
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:34 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:We need a desso pitch.......

We have some sort of hybrid pitch, although I don't know whether it's "Desso". That's why it has to be watered so much, as Merriman explained during the summer break IIRC.

Tha patches have always been there, and seem to remain a weakness even when the whole pitch is dug up and relaid. It's obviously to do with the West Stand shadow.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Bradders wrote:

We have some sort of hybrid pitch, although I don't know whether it's "Desso". That's why it has to be watered so much, as Merriman explained during the summer break IIRC.

Tha patches have always been there, and seem to remain a weakness even when the whole pitch is dug up and relaid. It's obviously to do with the West Stand shadow.

We have a sand based fibre pitch I think which is why it needs a lot of water.

Desso is a totally different phenomenon in its own right.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:15 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Desso Grassmaster would cost a lot but the lifespan is about 15 years. Phenomenal. I think the lowest ranked team with one is Wycombe.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:32 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Desso Grassmaster would cost a lot but the lifespan is about 15 years. Phenomenal. I think the lowest ranked team with one is Wycombe.

Thought Newport and Rochdale had them too.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby cornish stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 pm

I recall hearing that we use a fibresand pitch, is that correct?
cornish stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:31 pm

cornish stag wrote:I recall hearing that we use a fibresand pitch, is that correct?

Yes
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum