{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

100 % Confidence In GC to sort this sheite out.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

100 % Confidence In GC to sort this sheite out.

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:04 pm

I personally have 100% confidence GC will sort this shower of show ponies out.

It may take him till next season granted but look at the difference in attitude and work rate in less than a fortnight ....

Wait till he gets HIS players in and watch us go...

GC Barmy army .....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Re: 100 % Confidence In GC to sort this sheite out.

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:05 pm

He says all the right things post match again. Very likeable. Says his idea of hard work and the players idea is very different.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07 pm

So do I.... think hes got everything to make a very good manager.

Would love him to be here long term.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:27 pm

The football, if you can call it that, was atrocious today, absolute hoofball with very little end product. Once Mellis Khan and Maynard came on, we played some better football and scored some goals, the 2nd goal especially shows why his tactics don't work. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but today was abysmal, and if you want to see that week in, week out, good luck to you.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Totally agree with those comments. This season is a write off due to the Dempster appointment so give GC the January and summer transfer windows and watch us go next season.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:28 pm

He’s got a lot of work to do in January and beyond.

This squad of players have now failed for a third consecutive season.

Gonna take a lot of changes and I don’t just mean in personnel. In the dressing room, on the training pitch, and around the club, too.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:31 pm

1970Stag wrote:The football, if you can call it that, was atrocious today, absolute hoofball with very little end product. Once Mellis Khan and Maynard came on, we played some better football and scored some goals, the 2nd goal especially shows why his tactics don't work. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but today was abysmal, and if you want to see that week in, week out, good luck to you.

I don't think you can judge his style after two games. It wasn't bad against Northampton.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:35 pm

1970Stag wrote:The football, if you can call it that, was atrocious today, absolute hoofball with very little end product. Once Mellis Khan and Maynard came on, we played some better football and scored some goals, the 2nd goal especially shows why his tactics don't work. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but today was abysmal, and if you want to see that week in, week out, good luck to you.

Coughlan clearly does not want to build from the back and play through the thirds. He wants us to go back to front as soon as possible. Using today as an example, the problem was that once the ball goes forward into the final third via the channels or to a focal point, you’ve then got to have some quality in those key areas to fashion and finish chances. When those second balls, knockdowns, channel balls are falling to Rose, MacDonald, Bishop, there’s not much chance of end product because they don’t have the quality required.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:38 pm

The only thing is that we are 19th and only 7 points above bottom side. We're below Morecambe and troubled club Macclesfield. That's really poor however you cut it.

We need a win, quick. GC's problem is he doesn't have the luxury of time to experiment or learn without picking up points. His fixtures aren't that kind. Looking ahead we've got Bradford twice, Plymouth and FGR all in a short space of time.

I squarely blame John Dempster for this mess. His pathetic attempt at management totally undone all the previous good work. 5 wins this season so far - GC got his work to do.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 pm

WVStag wrote:

Coughlan clearly does not want to build from the back and play through the thirds. He wants us to go back to front as soon as possible. Using today as an example, the problem was that once the ball goes forward into the final third via the channels or to a focal point, you’ve then got to have some quality in those key areas to fashion and finish chances. When those second balls, knockdowns, channel balls are falling to Rose, MacDonald, Bishop, there’s not much chance of end product because they don’t have the quality required.

The knock downs fell to port vale players most of the time and we rarely actually won any headers and got any balls to our players down the channels, so I'm not sure how that is rose bishop or macdonalds fault really?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:00 pm

1970Stag wrote:
WVStag wrote:

The knock downs fell to port vale players most of the time and we rarely actually won any headers and got any balls to our players down the channels, so I'm not sure how that is rose bishop or macdonalds fault really?

The point I’m making is that Coughlan’s preferred style of football still requires a degree of quality, not just workhorses. Hope this helps.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:15 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:The only thing is that we are 19th and only 7 points above bottom side. We're below Morecambe and troubled club Macclesfield. That's really poor however you cut it.

No we aren’t.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:18 pm

ParisStag wrote:

I don't think you can judge his style after two games. It wasn't bad against Northampton.

Pretty sure we can and we played exactly the same again Northampton...

Agree the football is non existent but we knew that would be the case from his interviews etc. I'm ok with direct play so long as it gets results. When hes got them in shape and playing as he wants the results will come.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:33 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:The only thing is that we are 19th and only 7 points above bottom side. We're below Morecambe and troubled club Macclesfield. That's really poor however you cut it.

No we aren’t.

Yeah that's a load of crap. Ignore that.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:14 pm

We played a mix of direct and passing play under Evans and failed. We played some of the best football we've seen in yours under DF and failed. We tried to build from the back and play a possession game under JD and failed.

Give GC a chance to get through the door and implement his ideas and personnel, before you spout off. Some of the crap on here is pure madness.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:15 pm

WVStag wrote:

managers like to go from back to front quickly when they know the players aren't capable of playing out from the back... low on confidence and 18th in the league hes not going to be screaming at Preston to walk the ball out is he? DF made this mistake when he came in.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Jamie wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Pretty sure we can and we played exactly the same again Northampton...

Agree the football is non existent but we knew that would be the case from his interviews etc. I'm ok with direct play so long as it gets results. When hes got them in shape and playing as he wants the results will come.

We mixed it up fairly well against Northampton. It definitely wasn't just hoofball. I wasn't there today so I can't comment on that, but I still say that 2 games isn't enough to judge him on. I'll be at Bradford anyway so we'll see what he does there, though you'd expect most managers to play more direct away against a good side.

Anyway I agree that it doesn't matter how good the football is if we get results.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:39 pm

We need a win, quick. GC's problem is he doesn't have the luxury of time to experiment or learn without picking up points. His fixtures aren't that kind. Looking ahead we've got Bradford twice, Plymouth and FGR all in a short space of time.

I squarely blame John Dempster for this mess. His pathetic attempt at management totally undone all the previous good work. 5 wins this season so far - GC got his work to do.

I'd say he DOES have the luxury of time. He will have been given time to assess and build his own team. We aren't going down and Radford isn't going to sack another manager, especially one who has just inherited this shambles of a team. He'll have a brief of using this season to build for next and if we go up then it's an unexpected bonus.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:41 pm

ParisStag wrote:

I'd say he DOES have the luxury of time. He will have been given time to assess and build his own team. We aren't going down and Radford isn't going to sack another manager, especially one who has just inherited this shambles of a team. He'll have a brief of using this season to build for next and if we go up then it's an unexpected bonus.

Still needs to get results fairly quickly or our amazing fans will turn on him.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Still needs to get results fairly quickly or our amazing fans will turn on him.

A couple already have!!!!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:54 pm

There’s always a few ‘fans’ desperate to whinge. It’s obtuse to attribute the present standard to the new gaffer. He has the time and, I assume resources, to re-build. Judge him after next season.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:07 pm

I would only judge him on next season. If we improve for the rest of this season that will be great. Under JD we might have gone down, and we still could imo although it’s unlikely. What a disaster this season is. How many wins have we managed at home this season?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:43 am

The mess isn't JD's fault it lays fully with the board ( apart from Carolyn ). To promote the youth team manager would have made some sense if sufficient numbers of the youth team players were ready and capable of playing in league two. They clearly arnt and JD was clearly not ready for handling the senior pros. They should have stuck with what they had.

Now we have someone who clearly will play route one football ( not a pretty sight ). After the honeymoon period, fans will start complaining ( as they always do ), about the lack of football being played ( similar to what the Bristol Rovers fans did on their site ).

I think this is another knee jerk management appointment, that hasn't been thought through.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Maldon Stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:01 am

Amber Andy wrote:
I think this is another knee jerk management appointment, that hasn't been thought through.

I agree, why not interview candidates to get the best one? GC's football will be scruffy to say the least but, like you mentioned above it will be route one.
Last edited by Maldon Stag on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maldon Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 am

Amber Andy wrote:

The mess isn't JD's fault it lays fully with the board ( apart from Carolyn ). To promote the youth team manager would have made some sense if sufficient numbers of the youth team players were ready and capable of playing in league two. They clearly arnt and JD was clearly not ready for handling the senior pros. They should have stuck with what they had.

Now we have someone who clearly will play route one football ( not a pretty sight ). After the honeymoon period, fans will start complaining ( as they always do ), about the lack of football being played ( similar to what the Bristol Rovers fans did on their site ).

The majority of fans will take wins over quality football......if you can have both the Heaven.....but seldom do promoted teams achieve that........two recent examples from the Championship were Bournemouth and Wolves but you cant say that Cardiff, Sheffield Uts, Lincoln and Accrington played scintillating football but ask their fans if they were unhappy to get promoted?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum