{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Graham Coughlan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Graham Coughlan

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:04 pm

We have made an approach for Bristol Rovers manager Graham Coughlan.

Up to 4th in League One tonight, but has supposedly told his players he is quitting.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Graham Coughlan

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Absolutely incredible scenes. What a coup this would be.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:10 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Apparently they don’t have money, so doesn’t know how far to take them and his family live in Sheffield. I presume we have sacked JD to approach him
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Exclusive: Graham Coughlan set to leave Bristol Rovers and take job at League Two Mansfield Town

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ve-3645101
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Blimey :o
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby kyle b » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:21 pm

This would be great if he came here
kyle b
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby wink68 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:21 pm

As much as sacking DF and replacing him with JD were both massive mistakes by John Radford it looks like he is putting his money where his mouth is. This will not all be coming cheap. Now we look at Chesterfield and County and realise how lucky we are.
Last edited by wink68 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Do not know much about him, stats etc. We have needed someone with experience for weeks.
This is a bolt out of the blue.
If true well done to the Radfords
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Reg Holdsworth » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Should be a good appointment.
Reg Holdsworth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Reg Holdsworth wrote:Should be a good appointment.

He must have been given assurance from the Radford’s that he will have money to spend in the “window”
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Don't know anything about this bloke, but if true, good on the Radfords.

They certainly make their mind up when they have to make a decision.

Quality owners. They deserve the best.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:33 pm

This is unreal, what a night!’
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:36 pm

The One wrote:Do not know much about him, stats etc. We have needed someone with experience for weeks.

55 games managed at Bristol. 43% win rate and lost 13 games.

4 wins on the trot and playing some great football (according to a quick google)

Seems it could be a good fit for him as it’ll get him close to His family.

Not overly sure on the “lack” of experience. Hopefully it’s opened up to other CVs
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:38 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:
The One wrote:Do not know much about him, stats etc. We have needed someone with experience for weeks.

55 games managed at Bristol. 43% win rate and lost 13 games.

4 wins on the trot and playing some great football (according to a quick google)

Seems it could be a good fit for him as it’ll get him close to His family.

Not overly sure on the “lack” of experience. Hopefully it’s opened up to other CVs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Coughlan

Seems he was a lower league stalwart. Bit of a bruiser.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Intresting reading on the gas forum. They hate us even more now after sending them out the football league. Also reads as they want Darrell Clarke back (if Coughlan leaves) and some fans a few weeks back had been wanting Coughlan sacked....not sure how true it is given their league position as just taken off their forum.

Family lives in Sheffield so clearly a closer commute.

Either way well done the radfords if true. :D
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Graham Coughlan has informed the Bristol Rovers players he's leaving the club and is ready to take a job at League Two Mansfield Town. Just a few minutes after a brilliant 2-1 victory over Ipswich Town which lifted the Gas into fourth in League One, Coughlan astonishingly revealed he is considering his future at Rovers and will make a decision on Sunday morning. Coughlan has informed the squad he has been offered a job at a club closer to his home in Sheffield and take assistant manager Joe Dunne with him, just 12 months after replacing Darrell Clarke at the Memorial Stadium.

The Dubliner implied during his remarkable post-match press conference at Portman Road that a lack of financial resources and a feeling he has taken the club as far as he can go have made him question is future. And while that is true to a point, the fact he has been effectively commuting from Bristol to Sheffield, where his family are based, has begun to take its toll on his overall happiness. Coughlan shares a flat with Dunne in Bristol city centre and while he tries to maintain a settled home life by travelling back to Yorkshire at least once a fortnight, the pressures of the job and the relentless fixture schedule make it incredibly difficult.

A major source of frustration for the 45-year-old has been the condition of the club's training ground at Cribbs which he believes is responsible for a number of injuries to key players, in particular the stop-start campaign of Clarke-Harris.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ve-3645101
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Bristol Rovers manager Graham Coughlan has admitted he could quit the Gas tomorrow after their stunning triumph over Ipswich Town on Saturday. The Gas won 2-1 at Portman Road thanks to a brilliant away performance which lifted Coughlan's team to fourth in League One, but after the game he revealed his time in charge could be over.

Before the game the Dubliner, without being specifically questioned on the matter, said he needs support in the January transfer window, and he conceded afterwards he does not know how far he can take the club without investment and he has "a decision to make". "I need to go home and see my wife and kids this evening and spend some time with them," Coughlan said, with his family based in Sheffield. "I've got a decision to make in my own life and my own career and where I'm going. I'm going to make that decision tonight when I go home. I don't know where I can take this football club. I'm going to spend this evening with my wife and kids and see which way I wake up in the morning."

Coughlan, who was involved in animated celebrations in front of the travelling Gasheads at full-time, said a mix of personal and professional reasons were behind his doubts.

Rovers were without a trio of senior players – Jonson Clarke-Harris, Abu Ogogo and Mark Little – at Portman Road, and had six academy graduates in the matchday squad as their depth was pushed to the limit. Coughlan believes Rovers, "can be a Championship club", effectively giving the club's owners an ultimatum that he needs more resources. Since replacing Darrell Clarke 12 months ago this weekend, Coughlan has won 25 of 56 games and over two transfer windows has not spent a single pound in reshaping the Gas squad. "How far can we go with the club? How far can we take it? I don't know, I'm emotional at the minute. I'd like to get away from Portman Road this evening and have some time with my wife and kids," he added. "The opportunity and change is there for the football club to push on. Let's see where it goes and see what happens. Look at that fanbase. Look at the players we've got. This is a massive club. This club could potentially be a championship club. That's the frustrating part.

Coughlan has been in charge for a year, overseeing a remarkable turnaround of Rovers' fortunes as at this stage in 2018 they were 23rd having taken 17 points from 22 games. "I haven't achieved it," he said. "The players have achieved it and the credit goes to the players and the fans for their support. I only oversee things, put a few cones down in the week and give them a couple of instructions and encourage them. It's down to the players."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... an-3644915
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:42 pm

He will make a decision tomorrow apparently
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:44 pm

If he is coming why have we put jamma in charge ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Looks curtains for DB nLG
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:45 pm

If it comes off must have been quite hard work to pick practically the only manager who hasn’t been mentioned on this forum!
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum