{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stewards

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stewards

Postby Chris M » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:18 pm

I have dealt with the general public on a daily working basis for twenty five years in stressful situations, but I have rarely if ever had the sort of confrontations that we are now seeing on a regular basis with safety stewards. A firm but fair approach can often diffuse a situation rather than inflame it.

I wonder if they are given any advice to you use common sense when necessary rather than the one rule fits all approach.

Yesterday I was shocked to see one of the guests invited to take part in the British Legion pre match march being evicted from the car park in his vehicle as no one had thought to allocate him a parking space. Perhaps the car park stewards did not realise that the gentleman needed a wheel chair to get around after he left his vehicle, I don't know.

Later after finding somewhere to park elsewhere I was pleased to see the gentleman take part in the parade on his electric chair.

I am sure that given a little sympathy and understanding the stewards may have found a parking space for him rather than the generic, "not on the list, not coming in approach".
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Onelove » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Jamie wrote:Give over sneag. The two are a millions miles apart. What I'm saying is if you behave like a dick expect to filmed and banned. If your behind being a dick you've nothing to worry about.

That's not entirely true Jamie. The strapline is always that you have nothing to worry about if you are not doing anything wrong. This is not entirely true. Whilst I condemn the vile comments aimed at JD, I do not want to be filmed constantly. It is a civil liberties matter. These things are often marketed as only being used against a minority of aggressors which legitimises their use. The problem comes when you then want to make a legitimate peaceful protest and find that the same tactics are then being employed against you, and that all of a sudden, a difference of opinion now deems you the aggressor. Whilst some surveillance is necessary, the constant monitoring of behaviour throughout society is a form of social control, there to render us docile and unable to challenge anything. May not be so bad in a civil democracy, but things can soon change
Onelove
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Be careful what you wish for. Civil liberties are eroded slowly and then at the end they are gone. Those in power will tell you it’s all for your benefit whilst they are doing it.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Onelove » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:05 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:Be careful what you wish for. Civil liberties are eroded slowly and then at the end they are gone. Those in power will tell you it’s all for your benefit whilst they are doing it.

See my comment above. Couldn't agree more mate
Onelove
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Random Hero » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:00 pm

After a chat today between myself and the Mrs, we’ve - regrettably - decided that we’ve had enough, and won’t be attending the next few home games. Hopefully in that time, things will improve. We used to love attending, and are Mansfield Town through and through. It’s a bit gutting that it has got to this.

There are better things to spend money on at the moment, places that would actually appreciate it and not treat us like crap.

The wife has, for a couple of months now, been feeling more and more uncomfortable with the way us and others are treated at football. I can’t say I disagree. Saturday was a shambles from start to finish. From the steward on the gate upon arriving who rudely said to her ‘open your bag’ rather than politely ask to check its contents, to being filmed for no reason whatsoever by thugs in hi-viz upon leaving... what other business would treat their customers like this?!

See you in the new year...
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:05 pm

Random Hero wrote:After a chat today between myself and the Mrs, we’ve - regrettably - decided that we’ve had enough, and won’t be attending the next few home games. Hopefully in that time, things will improve. We used to love attending, and are Mansfield Town through and through. It’s a bit gutting that it has got to this.

There are better things to spend money on at the moment, places that would actually appreciate it and not treat us like crap.

The wife has, for a couple of months now, been feeling more and more uncomfortable with the way us and others are treated at football. I can’t say I disagree. Saturday was a shambles from start to finish. From the steward on the gate upon arriving who rudely said to her ‘open your bag’ rather than politely ask to check its contents, to being filmed for no reason whatsoever by thugs in hi-viz upon leaving... what other business would treat their customers like this?!

Do not blame you mate.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Random Hero wrote:After a chat today between myself and the Mrs, we’ve - regrettably - decided that we’ve had enough, and won’t be attending the next few home games. Hopefully in that time, things will improve. We used to love attending, and are Mansfield Town through and through. It’s a bit gutting that it has got to this.

Don't just take this line and decision invisibly. Write to the club or Paul Broughton and explain what you've decided and why? If enough people start to do this then maybe the ivory tower can be shaken
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Would the Supporter Liason Officer care to comment I wonder?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:37 pm

You are assuming Billy can read, mind you someone can read it to him, just need to take his crayons away for a time.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:00 pm

For this, and other reasons, I find going to away games more enjoyable. Yesterday had some police dog sniffing round me when I went in, just after the search of my Boots bag.

Does the One Call really have a drugs issue? Was that really necessary? It’s not a Customs check is it so let us just get on with going into the ground and watch the game.

In contrast the Walsall stewards could not have been nicer or more helpful last week. Let me out the ground to find a programme and were generally very friendly.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Chris M » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Couldn’t agree more. The match day stewards make visiting Field Mill a thoroughly unpleasant experience. More should do this too but make sure you write to the club explaining you reasons.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:03 pm

buried within masses of stuff on facebook, there are a couple of comments by PC John Albanese (successor to Carl Gabbitas):

John Albanese
To clarify the devices are owned by the club as part of their security system in place. They are smart phones which allow stewards to report back to control any incidents, which can also contain video or photographs with gps location. Everything belongs to the club and nothing will be stored by the individuals concerned. I would imagine they were asked to switch on the cameras as a precaution should any abusive comments be directed towards the players and manager, which was an issue at a previous match in which Dempster highlighted in his post match interview.

John Albanese
firstly I’m not the safety officer, nor am I employed by the club or have any responsibility for the stewards or warriors as you address. Secondly I wasn’t at the game today so can’t comment on any decisions made or if any profanities were captured. I was merely trying to clear up the devices used belong to the club and that the individuals have no retention on anything captured. As part of the ground regulations by entering you are agreeing to being filmed, so the argument about is it legal is answered they can film whoever they like.
With regards to Dempster’s press conference, in which he commented about being abused and told to die, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be faced with that when your just trying to do your job, so if the club utilise cameras to prevent such abuse and none is reported then I’d say the tactic was successful. Not sure what being a Burnley fan has to do with anything, other than we got beat to today!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Is abuse aimed at JD acceptable? No it isn't.

Is the club's response proportionate? If fans who are just going to a game to watch the football feel criminalised and unwelcome at Field Mill, then the answer to that is also no.

The security levels at Mansfield home games are the most OTT in any of the lower divisions.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Which stand do you guys sit in, just out of interest?

Apart from the sniffer dog as you go in, in all the time I’ve been going I can honestly say I’ve never ever spoke to a steward, apart from saying bye on the way out. There’s very rarely steward intervention where I sit, perhaps because I’m not in shouting distance of the dugout or tunnel.

I’m not really brother about the filming this personally but can see how others might be, and the attitude of the stewards sounds terrible from what some have said.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:31 pm

i've had no probs and never been sniffed either.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm

I sit in P but don’t get to every game at home.

I haven’t seen any issues with filming (but I think it’s wrong in principle. If someone starts abusing then start filming then).

There’s no need for the dog though. Maybe for a pop festival or on a Border check but you don’t need it for a league two football game fgs.

Some people don’t like dogs and that thing jumping around near your groin is not enjoyable, proportionate or required.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 pm

i think it's a pyrotechnic sniffer
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:43 pm

I didn’t know that. Is there a problem with that sort of thing?
Won’t find any near the home dressing room that’s for sure!

:lol:
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:18 pm

I personally am one of those people who don’t like dogs and am nervous around them but they always seem pretty friendly. But yes I do believe they are looking for flares rather than drugs.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

Don't just take this line and decision invisibly. Write to the club or Paul Broughton and explain what you've decided and why? If enough people start to do this then maybe the ivory tower can be shaken

Write to Paul Broughton? Might as well address it to Sammy Stag.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Write to Paul Broughton? Might as well address it to Sammy Stag.

And Postman Pat will deliver it.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:buried within masses of stuff on facebook, there are a couple of comments by PC John Albanese (successor to Carl Gabbitas):

John Albanese
firstly I’m not the safety officer, nor am I employed by the club or have any responsibility for the stewards or warriors as you address. Secondly I wasn’t at the game today so can’t comment on any decisions made or if any profanities were captured. I was merely trying to clear up the devices used belong to the club and that the individuals have no retention on anything captured. As part of the ground regulations by entering you are agreeing to being filmed, so the argument about is it legal is answered they can film whoever they like.
With regards to Dempster’s press conference, in which he commented about being abused and told to die, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be faced with that when your just trying to do your job, so if the club utilise cameras to prevent such abuse and none is reported then I’d say the tactic was successful. Not sure what being a Burnley fan has to do with anything, other than we got beat to today!

I can smell bull. Why film people if it's not being 'captured'. That's like me saying 'yes I took your photo but "I have no retention on anything captured". Would you believe me having just seen me take your photo?! They really do think we're thick don't they. So if they capture someone shouting to Dempster to die are you telling me they wouldn't keep it as evidence?! :lol: :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Dan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:buried within masses of stuff on facebook, there are a couple of comments by PC John Albanese (successor to Carl Gabbitas):

John Albanese

I can smell bull. Why film people if it's not being 'captured'. That's like me saying 'yes I took your photo but "I have no retention on anything captured". Would you believe me having just seen me take your photo?! They really do think we're thick don't they. So if they capture someone shouting to Dempster to die are you telling me they wouldn't keep it as evidence?! :lol: :roll:

you've misread it Dan. He says the individuals have no retention (ie the stewards filming have no retention). He does not say the club have no retention.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:23 pm

Also the ground guidelines I posted above state cctv and bony worn audio and/or video deceives are used. The steward had a mobile phone type device in his hand. That's not body worn nor is it cctv.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:34 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Also the ground guidelines I posted above state cctv and bony worn audio and/or video deceives are used. The steward had a mobile phone type device in his hand. That's not body worn nor is it cctv.

I think you are misinterpreting this Gazza. The guidelines are not saying that cameras and mobile devices are not used for recording. They are just saying that body worn cameras may be used.

John Albanese
As part of the ground regulations by entering you are agreeing to being filmed, so the argument about is it legal is answered they can film whoever they like.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum