{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Scared to lose

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Scared to lose

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:10 pm

Every person in the crowd could see we should have changed it at least 5mins before they scored

I genuinely think we'd have won had we changed earlier

On a positive note, excellent performance by logan

Says it all when your keeper is motm

Am i being harsh? They were a good side
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Scared to lose

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Dempster is absolutely clueless, if the board don’t sack him after that then I’ve lost total faith in them
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:14 pm

They were good but I agree, the change was far too late. Well done Logan, fantastic performance.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Dempster is absolutely clueless, if the board don’t sack him after that then I’ve lost total faith in them

He’s a Murray mark 2.

He worried and frets over over the opposition to the deferment of himself and our team.

He’s really not got a clue what he’s doing. I’m surprised the board were naive enough to make the decision to appoint him after Murray
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Every person in the crowd could see we should have changed it at least 5mins before they scored

I genuinely think we'd have won had we changed earlier

On a positive note, excellent performance by logan

Says it all when your keeper is motm

Am i being harsh? They were a good side

They were a good side and we had actually turned the tide by the time they scored.
As you say they should have made a change 5 to 10 minutes before that. Drew Broughton appeared to be pushing for Mellis to come on earlier but was overruled.
I have always been supportive of Dempster as many of the issues were lack of experience but what holds us back is his fear of taking a risk at 1-1. You rarely see a manager overcome that timidity so i fear that we will not move forward under John Dempster.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Agree re Conrad, I've given him some stick in the past, but he was outstanding today.

Seems he's the only player trying to keep JD in a job.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Reactive not proactive, doesn't watch the same game as us.

To be fair, at least Bishop was involved whereas Shaungnessy was anonymous again, Macca just not good enough, Khan flits in and out.

Mellis has to come in and no decent shots on a zippy pitch???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:33 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Reactive not proactive, doesn't watch the same game as us.

To be fair, at least Bishop was involved whereas Shaungnessy was anonymous again, Macca just not good enough, Khan flits in and out.

I agree him being reactive. Bishop was dreadful though, never laid a glove on them and kept giving it away.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:40 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

I agree him being reactive. Bishop was dreadful though, never laid a glove on them and kept giving it away.

It's 4-4-2 with no width, the players at full back have no one in front to work in tandem with and yet even though Macca and Khan come narrow teams still cut through the centre as they aren't quick enough in foot or speed of thought.
In fact the full backs are being asked to be wing backs but in a back four, it's suicide
Once again I can't fathom out what he's trying to achieve??
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:40 pm

Tisdale sacked. He’d undoubtedly be a better option than Dempster.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:41 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Tisdale sacked. He’d undoubtedly be a better option than Dempster.

Get him in.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Tisdale sacked. He’d undoubtedly be a better option than Dempster.

Get him in.

this
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

It's 4-4-2 with no width, the players at full back have no one in front to work in tandem with and yet even though Macca and Khan come narrow teams still cut through the centre as they aren't quick enough in foot or speed of thought.
In fact the full backs are being asked to be wing backs but in a back four, it's suicide
Once again I can't fathom out what he's trying to achieve??

Good comment. Gordon goes too far forward, he was still playing like he’s a wingback but he hasn’t got three centre halves to cover.

On the other side Benning seemed to hang much further back.

I thought they looked like a good team, pacey up front and had players willing to take a man on - see their second and third goals.

Worrying if I remember right their front line was supposed to be weak because they had two of their best strikers out.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Conrad Logan was excellent today, one rush of blood to the head aside. Well done, two weeks in a row.

Their five in midfield walked all over our four, which is three and even two at times. That was clear to see after 5 minute but nobody did anything about it. Mal Benning has a birthday to forget, Preston was pants, Khan was anonymous, Bishop all over the shop, Shaughnessy quiet. Macca should’ve been dragged before Khan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:12 pm

First half was dire, we was lucky to be level. Colchester could of been way out of sight by HT.

Second half we played well at times, some good football but just could not get the ball over the line. The funny thing is we could of been ahead in the game and potentially won it!!

A bloke behind me said it was 18 seconds from our free kick which went into their box to them scoring at the other end.

A strange end to end game, but it sadly sums up the season. We didn't take our chances and we got punished, even if we didn't deserve anything from the game.

If we fail to beat Chorley, then I'm afraid he has to walk.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:17 pm

And I'm sick and tired of pulling all eleven players back at corners. ...for gods sake it's logical that if you leave Maynard on the half way they are going to have to leave two to mark him. Equally no one left up means there is no get out ball or escape and they have as many players in our area. Why can't that clueless Dempster see this? ??
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm

Slackythestag wrote:First half was dire, we was lucky to be level. Colchester could of been way out of sight by HT.

Second half we played well at times, some good football but just could not get the ball over the line. The funny thing is we could of been ahead in the game and potentially won it!!

A bloke behind me said it was 18 seconds from our free kick which went into their box to them scoring at the other end.

A strange end to end game, but it sadly sums up the season. We didn't take our chances and we got punished, even if we didn't deserve anything from the game.

So a win over the mighty Chorley saves his job !!!!!
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:And I'm sick and tired of pulling all eleven players back at corners. ...for gods sake it's logical that if you leave Maynard on the half way they are going to have to leave two to mark him. Equally no one left up means there is no get out ball or escape and they have as many players in our area. Why can't that clueless Dempster see this? ??

He's not alone in that. It's like every manager we have has 'thou shal't not leave one up' at cornered stamped on the forehead.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:28 pm

The One wrote:
Slackythestag wrote:First half was dire, we was lucky to be level. Colchester could of been way out of sight by HT.

The result of the Chorley game is irrelevant. If it’s right to replace the incumbent manager, then it’s because of league results.

I actually believe that our performances have been better in the last month, but the results don’t reflect this.

Is it right to remove Dempster? I don’t know. We are all disappointed by our unrequited expectations and some Stags fans are an impatient bunch. If the club displace JD, who do they bring in?

I am one of those that felt the sacking of David Flitcroft was a mistake, but that’s history now.

Colchester applied a perfect game plan today. They had no interest in possession football, relying instead on breakaways where they had some really mobile players. They took chances well (and no blame should be aimed at Logan). When we went searching, it was increasingly likely that they would snatch more goals - and they did. On another day, we might have won. But, hey ho, that’s football.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:31 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
The One wrote:

The result of the Chorley game is irrelevant. If it’s right to replace the incumbent manager, then it’s because of league results.

I actually believe that our performances have been better in the last month, but the results don’t reflect this.

Is it right to remove Dempster? I don’t know. We are all disappointed by our unrequited expectations and some Stags fans are an impatient bunch. If the club displace JD, who do they bring in?

I am one of those that felt the sacking of David Flitcroft was a mistake, but that’s history now.

Colchester applied a perfect game plan today. They had no interest in possession football, relying instead on breakaways where they had some really mobile players. They took chances well (and no blame should be aimed at Logan). When we went searching, it was increasingly likely that they would snatch more goals - and they did. On another day, we might have won. But, hey ho, that’s football.

Big yella posted a few weeks ago ,about giving managers till fa cup 1st round week then do it sounds about right now
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
The One wrote:

With respect Edders they were a class above us and should have been out of sight before we equalised. Their individual control of the ball.... speed of thought and attack. ..incisiveness and cohesiveness made us look distinctly second best. I was relieved we only lost by one goal. I thought some of their football was scintillating to watch apart from it being against us !
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:00 pm

It was a bit like watching us this time last season!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:03 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Get him in.

this

Tisdale wouldn’t last 2 minutes here.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:19 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
The One wrote:

It's not just the performances on the pitch. The lack of fitness, the lack of discipline at the beginning of the season, the apparent lack of passion and leadership from the touchline have all impacted on the season.

It was two mistakes regarding the manager's position, the initial sacking and the resulting appointment ( but you are right it's history now).

JR and the board have a big decision to make " stick or twist".

I don't think relegation is a real prospect ( thankfully only one will go down this season ), even if JD remains in charge. Two things do concern me however. What will recruitment be like next season with JD in charge. The other is that attendances will surely dwindle if results and performances don't significantly improve.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:21 pm

If I didn't have a season ticket today would have finished me until Dempster goes back to the academy.

Some very good players in a very poor side, OK Colchester had some brilliant individuals and their effort had purpose. We just ran around like headless chickens, afraid to shoot, afraid to take a chance.
Whilst ever we play 424 but demand the full backs be wing backs we will always be caught short at the back as with Salford and with Colchester today.

Whoever convinced JR to authorise £150k to buy Cook needs locking up, he's nowt but a pub player.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum