{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Midfield

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Midfield

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:29 am

We’ve played 18 games in all competitions so far this season. Not one midfielder has scored a goal yet. An absolutely shocking statistic - we must be the only team in the EFL to not have a midfielder score yet. You can see why too. Our shots from distance are consistently pathetic, it seems like nobody can strike a ball properly.

When was the last time a Stags player rifled one in from 20 - 30 yards?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Midfield

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:31 am

We’ve played 18 games in all competitions so far this season. Not one midfielder has scored a goal yet. An absolutely shocking statistic - we must be the only team in the EFL to not have one score yet. You can see why too. Our shots from distance are consistently pathetic, it seems like nobody can strike a ball properly.

When was the last time a Stags player rifled one in from 20 - 30 yards out?

If you include wing backs as well, then it’s just 1 goal - Gordon at Port Vale.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:47 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:We’ve played 18 games in all competitions so far this season. Not one midfielder has scored a goal yet. An absolutely shocking statistic - we must be the only team in the EFL to not have one score yet. You can see why too. Our shots from distance are consistently pathetic, it seems like nobody can strike a ball properly.

When was the last time a Stags player rifled one in from 20 - 30 yards out?

If you include wing backs as well, then it’s just 1 goal - Gordon at Port Vale.

From memory Jacob Mellis last season and Jorge Grant if you count his free kick at the away end
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:49 am

Teams that do well always score goals all over the park.

We didn't score enough of these goals last year either.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:02 am

Sedgwick wrote:Teams that do well always score goals all over the park.

When Luton got promoted from league two I'm sure they had multiple midfielders scoring 10+ goals that season. In fact they scored a crazy amount, but it's a problem we've had for years. The only midfielder we've had who scored goals for us recently was Ben Whiteman and then before that Adam Chapman I think
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 am

I’ve heard a few people mention how poor we are at getting a good connection on the ball when shooting now, it’s pretty embarrassing at times. You’ve just got no confidence of us lashing one in when it drops to the edge of the box.

Agree it’s ridiculous that we’ve gone 18 games without a midfielder scoring. If you look at the last 10 games of last season as well including the playoffs, the CM’s only contributed 1 goal... Mellis in a 4-0 win at home to Morecambe. So one goal from the CM’s in 28 competitive games!

This should have been addressed in the summer, you can’t go in to it with the same options and expect a different output. The only midfield addition is Shaugnessy and whilst he looks a good player he’s not going to be a goalscorer.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:39 am

Forgot about Mellis, is he out of the picture completely now?
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:56 am

I made the point to DF at the start of last season that we needed another goalscoring midfield player and he told me that was why he had bought Otis Khan.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:00 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I made the point to DF at the start of last season that we needed another goalscoring midfield player and he told me that was why he had bought Otis Khan.

Khan’s an interesting one. I think he’s put in some good performances lately and has a several assists to show for it, however his goal scoring output has been disappointing since joining us after he chipped in with goals regularly for a very average Yeovil side. Having said that, I’d definitely continue to stick with him and have him in the starting 11 every week.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:34 am

I'm losing faith in Otis. He does not have enough impact on games. I'd rather have Jacob Mellis or a confident CJ Hamilton in the team. If I was an opposition manager then I would not be worried at all about Otis as an attacking threat whereas CJ scored 14 goals last season. I hope he starts to score some goals and proves me wrong.

I think Otis is getting an easy ride from fans at the moment compared to CJ, Bish, Macca, the Chief etc
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:43 am

Mal Benning is another player who has got into good goalscoring positions this season but not bagged one. He scored 3 league goals last season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:09 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm losing faith in Otis. He does not have enough impact on games. I'd rather have Jacob Mellis or a confident CJ Hamilton in the team. If I was an opposition manager then I would not be worried at all about Otis as an attacking threat whereas CJ scored 14 goals last season. I hope he starts to score some goals and proves me wrong.

I think Otis is getting an easy ride from fans at the moment compared to CJ, Bish, Macca, the Chief etc

I think Khan is doing OK though he needs to start chipping in with goals now. We should be getting Mellis AND Khan in the side in my opinion and Mellis should be coming in for Bishop or Macdonald. There’s a point to be made that if you get more natural passers/technical players on the pitch they will bring the best out of each other. I’m sure Maynard, Khan, Mellis even Shaugnessy would love to link up together instead of being hampered by midfielders who if we’re being honest aren’t at the required level in terms of quality on the ball and building attacks. Khan and Mellis are moaned at for not creating enough but it’s difficult when the move breaks down once they give it somebody else.

Mellis isn’t a world beater by any stretch but I don’t buy in to the opinion that he’s lazy, he just doesn’t run as much as Bishop or Macdonald, who by the way can’t receive the ball or pass anywhere near as well as Mellis so it’s swings and roundabouts! Our midfield needs balance. We always have at least 2 but more often than not 3 of Bishop, Macca, Tomlinson, Shaugnessy in the side. It’s ‘defensive’ midfielder overkill - there’s no wonder we have little quality or goals coming from midfield.

It’s the first area that needs sorting when we get the chance and it needs a complete overhaul in my opinion, but we have to work with the squad we have for now seen as though we didn’t do it in the summer.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:22 am

Agree we need to find more midfield goals, I think it’s a symptom that we have been overrun in the centre at times this season and have generally been dropping deep and leaving a gap to the forwards.

There’s probably only CJ who would naturally run past the strikers in open play, this is where he’s most effective for me. Khan appears to either run the flank or cut in looking for a through ball, so less likely to score himself. I think he’s come close from a couple of free kicks but with the centre backs causing a threat it’s probably more effective put balls in the box.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 am

tillydog123 wrote:Forgot about Mellis, is he out of the picture completely now?

Hes been injured and back in training... should be in contention for walsall... its all on the website, do keep up.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:35 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm losing faith in Otis. He does not have enough impact on games. I'd rather have Jacob Mellis or a confident CJ Hamilton in the team. If I was an opposition manager then I would not be worried at all about Otis as an attacking threat whereas CJ scored 14 goals last season. I hope he starts to score some goals and proves me wrong.

I think Khan is doing OK though he needs to start chipping in with goals now. We should be getting Mellis AND Khan in the side in my opinion and Mellis should be coming in for Bishop or Macdonald. There’s a point to be made that if you get more natural passers/technical players on the pitch they will bring the best out of each other. I’m sure Maynard, Khan, Mellis even Shaugnessy would love to link up together instead of being hampered by midfielders who if we’re being honest aren’t at the required level in terms of quality on the ball and building attacks. Khan and Mellis are moaned at for not creating enough but it’s difficult when the move breaks down once they give it somebody else.

Mellis isn’t a world beater by any stretch but I don’t buy in to the opinion that he’s lazy, he just doesn’t run as much as Bishop or Macdonald, who by the way can’t receive the ball or pass anywhere near as well as Mellis so it’s swings and roundabouts! Our midfield needs balance. We always have at least 2 but more often than not 3 of Bishop, Macca, Tomlinson, Shaugnessy in the side. It’s ‘defensive’ midfielder overkill - there’s no wonder we have little quality or goals coming from midfield.

It’s the first area that needs sorting when we get the chance and it needs a complete overhaul in my opinion, but we have to work with the squad we have for now seen as though we didn’t do it in the summer.

Yes yes yes yes yes. I agree with all of this. Having a midfield consist of Shaugnessy, Mellis (when he's recovered from his injury) and Khan would be fantastic. They're all good footballers and they'd bring the best out of each other as well as the strikers. The brand of football would improve so much, and the results would too. Having three 'combative' midfielders, many of whom don't offer a great deal on the ball, (Macca, Bishop and Tomlinson) clearly isn't working.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:39 am

Jimstag wrote:Agree we need to find more midfield goals, I think it’s a symptom that we have been overrun in the centre at times this season and have generally been dropping deep and leaving a gap to the forwards.

There’s probably only CJ who would naturally run past the strikers in open play, this is where he’s most effective for me. Khan appears to either run the flank or cut in looking for a through ball, so less likely to score himself. I think he’s come close from a couple of free kicks but with the centre backs causing a threat it’s probably more effective put balls in the box.

That's what's funny. We have 3 defensive minded midfielders on the pitch and we still often get overrun in midfield, particularly away from home. Are the likes of Bishop, Macca and Tomlinson actually any good at the side of the game that they're supposed to be good at?

If you can't keep the ball and control the midfield through maintaining possession and building attacks, then of course the opposition will come onto you.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 am

Sedgwick wrote:Teams that do well always score goals all over the park.

This.

I’ve said this so many times, if you can get an extra 10-15 goals from midfield not only does it help your chances of being at the right end of the table it also takes pressure off the strikers
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 am

What Midfield?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 am

Khan has bags more skill than CJ but unfortunately ,not his speed . He scored well at Yeovil and started off ok here.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:28 pm

daddycool wrote:Khan has bags more skill than CJ but unfortunately ,not his speed . He scored well at Yeovil and started off ok here.

I like Khan, but he gets knocked off the ball far too easily. Macca is like a headless unfit chicken and Bishop is beginning to play like his age. Shaughnessy is good but not our player, so we need a massive rebuild imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Smith has looked to have a very powerful shot when he has played, and hasnt been shy at trying one one from the edge of the area.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:14 pm

garlic wrote:Smith has looked to have a very powerful shot when he has played, and hasnt been shy at trying one one from the edge of the area.

He’s not quite good enough yet and looks a little lost sometimes when I’ve seen him play.

Though you can tell he’s got potential and one that deffo needs nurturing.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:23 pm

We need a holding midfield player to break up attacks. Ebou Adams was excellent at doing this on Saturday for FGR. Both Neal Bishop and Alex MacDonald can do this job but I would only play one of them next to Conor Shaughnessy who is a good passer and keeps the ball moving. I would then play a fit Jacob Mellis in front of them. I think this position suits Mellis as he can try and find the crucial passes in the final third and also does not have to do so much tracking back/defensive work which he's not as good at (like Otis).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need a holding midfield player to break up attacks. Ebou Adams was excellent at doing this on Saturday for FGR. Both Neal Bishop and Alex MacDonald can do this job but I would only play one of them next to Conor Shaughnessy who is a good passer and keeps the ball moving. I would then play a fit Jacob Mellis in front of them. I think this position suits Mellis as he can try and find the crucial passes in the final third and also does not have to do so much tracking back/defensive work which he's not as good at (like Otis).

What formation then Darren? Diamond? Back to three at the back?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need a holding midfield player to break up attacks. Ebou Adams was excellent at doing this on Saturday for FGR. Both Neal Bishop and Alex MacDonald can do this job but I would only play one of them next to Conor Shaughnessy who is a good passer and keeps the ball moving. I would then play a fit Jacob Mellis in front of them. I think this position suits Mellis as he can try and find the crucial passes in the final third and also does not have to do so much tracking back/defensive work which he's not as good at (like Otis).

What formation then Darren? Diamond? Back to three at the back?

I don’t mind the three at the back as long as we try to play possession football.

Although we currently don’t have a midfield two I’d trust to play the formation.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum