{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bishop

Postby Random Hero » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 am

Beano wrote:
Rob wrote:
Beano wrote:
Rob wrote:So Bish is the new CJ. You lot are too pathetic for words.

You realise this is a discussion board Rob?

Yep. I don't agree with slagging our own players off. Soz and all that but feel free to slag them off, it truly will help.

And there was me thinking this was forum for discussion. No one is 'slagging him off'... grow up.

They're (quite rightly) stating that he isn't the player he was last season.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 am

I think hes ok in a 3....

Exposed in a 2.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:39 am

Captain Cunno wrote:I think hes ok in a 3....

Exposed in a 2.

Agreed. Needs two in front of him. Doesn't work in a 4-4-2.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:49 am

Captain Cunno wrote:I think hes ok in a 3....

Exposed in a 2.

Just like our CBs, especially Pearce...
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:58 am

yorkshire stag wrote:The lack of quality in midfield it should not be a shock to anybody, the majority of fans have been screaming this since preseason, a huge glaring hole in the middle of the park why has this not been addressed?

Tbf me owd Pontefract pikelet, we did sign Dion 'dont give a crap' Donoghue in summer, except he stayed around less than a gnat's fart in Typhoon Hagibis
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:30 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:The lack of quality in midfield it should not be a shock to anybody, the majority of fans have been screaming this since preseason, a huge glaring hole in the middle of the park why has this not been addressed?

Tbf me owd Pontefract pikelet, we did sign Dion 'dont give a crap' Donoghue in summer, except he stayed around less than a gnat's fart in Typhoon Hagibis

But there was time before the end of the transfer window to replace him with someone the same and they didn't.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Armstrong501 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm

What you all have to realise is that you are asking a 38 year old to play Saturday Tuesday 90 minutes in a 2 man midfield the fact that this happens shows how much faith Dempster has in his other midfielders. Bish had a decent game last night and is still one of first names on team sheet
Armstrong501
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:54 pm

I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily exposed in a two, but his lack of ability on the ball becomes more prevalent. He still gets around the pitch ok.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:27 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Get him in the dugout. Promote from within, that's what we do now.

Going well that policy
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:00 pm

BigGuy wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Get him in the dugout. Promote from within, that's what we do now.

Going well that policy

Probably not far from the truth, Carolyn very friendly with his wife.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
BigGuy wrote:

Going well that policy

I very much doubt Carolyn or John for that matter has an influence who plays in the team. If indeed that's what you are alluding to. Apologies if your not.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 pm

For gods sake - stop bashing the bishop!

How would you explain it if your mother or wife walked in and caught you!!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
BigGuy wrote:

Going well that policy

I very much doubt Carolyn or John for that matter has an influence who plays in the team. If indeed that's what you are alluding to. Apologies if your not.

No I was alluding to him being lined up as the next manager.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
BigGuy wrote:

Going well that policy

No I was alluding to him being lined up as the next manager.
ok. Someone had alluded to it earlier on in this thread.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:09 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Yes, some of Bishop's s passes were very poor last night but you cannot fault his break up play. He is at it for 90 mins, oh how I wish Tomlinson had that energy at his tender age. Bishop needs to play in front of a back four disrupting the opposition, not pushing forward and leaving a hole that other players don't cover. I will not knock Bishop, all I will say is we expect far too much of him whilst other players coast, Khan being but one.

How can you say Khan coasted last night? He was at the heart of most good things we did yesterday going forward, particularly first half and I thought he was one of our better performers last night behind Shaugnessy. Khans role is to find pockets and try and create, not make lung busting runs back towards his own goal. Nobody is saying there’s a lack of effort with Bishop as that is not the case, but there has been a lack of quality in recent games. I think it’s asking too much of him now to be playing 2 games in 4 days.

I agree with old West Stander here. Neal Bishop had a better game last night than Otis Khan and Alex MacDonald. Macca hardly got in the game (only 23 passes) and Otis Khan yet again had no impact on the game. The phrases "flatters to deceive" and "no final product" are often used by some Stags fans when discussing Otis. He is supposed to be our No 10/playmaker but has scored no goals and is not a threat when we are attacking. If I were an opposition manager, I would be far more worried about CJ Hamilton than Otis Khan. If Otis is given the luxury of being our attacking midfield player and does not have to track back then he needs to start producing the goods on a regular basis. He needs to make an impact on games. If he is not doing this then the No 10/playmaker role needs to be given to a fit Jacob Mellis who is the best passer in our squad.

A more radical approach is to even think about giving Alistair Smith a go in this position as he can pass a ball and will make runs forward. Alistair has a tendency to dwell on the ball and be caught in possession when he is playing as a holding midfield player and so he might do better playing behind our front two.

Here are the stats for last night:

Neal Bishop
63 passes 52 accurate = 83%
6 shots (1 on target, 2 blocked, 3 off target)
2 Offensive Aerials won
3 Defensive Aerials won
2 Tackles
0 Dispossessed

Otis Khan
36 passes 28 accurate = 78%
1 shot off target
1 Dribble
0 Aerials won
2 Tackles
Dispossessed twice

Alex MacDonald
23 passes 18 accurate = 71%
1 shot blocked
0 Aerials won
0 Dribbles
0 Tackles
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Those statistics sound very good Tippy except that 95% of Bishops passes were backwards and sideways along the line of our unmarked back four as Salford sat back and allowed him to do just that. Pity he didnt make a THIRD tackle on the player who got the assist for Rooneys goal had a tackle even been attempted the goal may never have been scored, rather than stand ball watching as Rooney hammers it past Logan completely unmarked. If he did his job properly we would maybe win more often and concede less.
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Darren, Otis Khan is not playing in the playmaker/number ten role. He's playing as an out and out left winger. He aslo tracked back several times last night, particularly in the first half. I do agree that he needs to impact games more, but before last night he had two assists in two games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Darren, Otis Khan is not playing in the playmaker/number ten role. He's playing as an out and out left winger. He aslo tracked back several times last night, particularly in the first half. I do agree that he needs to impact games more, but before last night he had two assists in two games.

I know Sam but essentially he is our "luxury" attacking midfield player who does have more of a free role to play between the lines and make an impact and is not expected to track back as much. He also does wear the No 10 shirt! :lol: He is certainly not a left winger which CJ definitely is. 0 goals and 3 assists is just not good enough. We paid a six figure fee for him and he needs to start to deliver the goods otherwise other players should be given a chance in the team. Furthermore, as Part Time Pete points out, he only seems happy playing on the left which makes it difficult for CJ Hamilton to get in the side. I thought he deserved to be subbed last night along with Alex MacDonald.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Darren, Otis Khan is not playing in the playmaker/number ten role. He's playing as an out and out left winger. He aslo tracked back several times last night, particularly in the first half. I do agree that he needs to impact games more, but before last night he had two assists in two games.

I know Sam but essentially he is our "luxury" attacking midfield player who does have more of a free role to play between the lines and make an impact and is not expected to track back as much. He certainly is not a left winger which CJ definitely is. 0 goals and 3 assists is just not good enough. We paid a six figure fee for him and he needs to start to deliver the goods otherwise other players should be given a chance in the team. Furthermore, as Part Time Pete points out, he only seems happy playing on the left which makes it difficult for CJ Hamilton to get in the side. I thought he deserved to be subbed last night along with Alex MacDonald.

He is a left winger. He's played there all his career, he said it himself. CJ Hamilton has 0 goals and 1 assist from a similar amount of minutes.

Where has this clap trap come from as well that he only wants to play on the left? And which other position do you want him to play in?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:56 pm

He was bought by DF to be a goalscoring attacking midfield player or a No 10 and not as a right footed left winger :lol:

We didn't need a left winger as we had CJ Hamilton and also DF played with wing backs and not wingers. More poor recruitment!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:21 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He was bought by DF to be a goalscoring attacking midfield player or a No 10 and not as a right footed left winger :lol:

We didn't need a left winger as we had CJ Hamilton and also DF played with wing backs and not wingers. More poor recruitment!

Cristiano Ronaldo was a right footed left winger. Lionel Messi is a left footed right winger. Are you saying Khan can't play on the left wing because he's not left footed? Wayne Corden? The list is endless.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagtastic1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:29 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:Those statistics sound very good Tippy except that 95% of Bishops passes were backwards and sideways along the line of our unmarked back four as Salford sat back and allowed him to do just that. Pity he didnt make a THIRD tackle on the player who got the assist for Rooneys goal had a tackle even been attempted the goal may never have been scored, rather than stand ball watching as Rooney hammers it past Logan completely unmarked. If he did his job properly we would maybe win more often and concede less.

Why would he feel the need to tackle Pearce who set the volley by Rooney up perfectly
stagtastic1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:32 am

We need another Jamie Maguire type of player but with much more football skill and delivery!!
Bishop should for me should be always on the team sheet first but needs help and some players to cover when he is flagging...not sure we got that.
Shame about Donohue could have been just what we needed.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He was bought by DF to be a goalscoring attacking midfield player or a No 10 and not as a right footed left winger :lol:

Otis Khan is a winger who has always played on the left... If a right footed left winger doesn't make sense to you, then football isn't for you mate.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:08 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I know Sam but essentially he is our "luxury" attacking midfield player who does have more of a free role to play between the lines and make an impact and is not expected to track back as much. He certainly is not a left winger which CJ definitely is. 0 goals and 3 assists is just not good enough. We paid a six figure fee for him and he needs to start to deliver the goods otherwise other players should be given a chance in the team. Furthermore, as Part Time Pete points out, he only seems happy playing on the left which makes it difficult for CJ Hamilton to get in the side. I thought he deserved to be subbed last night along with Alex MacDonald.

He is a left winger. He's played there all his career, he said it himself. CJ Hamilton has 0 goals and 1 assist from a similar amount of minutes.

Where has this clap trap come from as well that he only wants to play on the left? And which other position do you want him to play in?

This clap trap came from the horses mouth when I was talking to him at the Retford game in pre season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum