{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Time to point the finger at the players?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Time to point the finger at the players?

Postby FarnieStag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:26 am

Have we all criticised either or both Dempster and Flitcroft too much? Shouldn't we be aiming more anger at those on the pitch? Is it time for a clear out of the players? It seems to me that we have an overpaid bunch of prima donnas with over inflated egos that don't match either their ability or work ethic. For a few years now, Mansfield has been the destination of choice for greedy players and even greedier agents. In my opinion it's time to get back to the basics with players who genuinely want to be at Field Mill and not just here for a big pay day. As yes, I'm afraid that need to be back to a Paul Cox-style mentality and perhaps even style of play (I have my tin hat on). I can't remember seeing Sandy Pate, Colin Calderwood or George Foster making fancy little 5-a-side-style passes across the back line, they just effectively got it away from the danger area quickly. The game and the club I love has bought in to this ridiculous circle of paying huge wages for lazy players who think they have Premier League ability, and paying those wages via barmy pay-on-the-day (£25+!) prices. I've been saying it for a while.. it can only end in tears!
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Time to point the finger at the players?

Postby JLStag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 am

I'm afraid the game has changed now. Players aren't loyal to clubs and i can't honestly say i blame them, its a very short career so i'd go to wherever offered me the best money as well.
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adoptedstag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:01 am

JLStag wrote:I'm afraid the game has changed now. Players aren't loyal to clubs and i can't honestly say i blame them, its a very short career so i'd go to wherever offered me the best money as well.

That doesn't mean you cannot give 100% ,and give all to your employer and boss , even if it's just out of your own self respect.
adoptedstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby James » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 am

adoptedstag wrote:
JLStag wrote:I'm afraid the game has changed now. Players aren't loyal to clubs and i can't honestly say i blame them, its a very short career so i'd go to wherever offered me the best money as well.

That doesn't mean you cannot give 100% ,and give all to your employer and boss , even if it's just out of your own self respect.

I can't say there was a lack of effort last night, nor all season to be honest. The players look lost to me.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 am

Players down tools when they want rid of a manager. They know it's easier to change the manager than the players.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:04 am

Managerial changes tend to happen when they lose the dressing room. Sadly, I'm not sure Dempster ever had it in the first place.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:07 am

I question the players fitness and attitude, full stop?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 am

does not matter what your profession is .If you think your manager is asking you to do a job that you feel could be done in a better , faster ,cleaner more creative or whatever then it very hard to apply yourself fully regardless of your own work ethic.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:11 am

James wrote:
adoptedstag wrote:

I can't say there was a lack of effort last night, nor all season to be honest. The players look lost to me.

Thats how i see it too. When we have scored you can see what it means to them.

All the chopping and changing and players out of position has created a mindset of they dont seem to know how he wants to play as he still doesnt either, it lays squarely at JDs door and hes been the architect of his own downfall
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:22 am

I know the players bottled it at the end of last season, but it was so close. I think they played for Flicker and really liked him. There was always talk of the dressing room being strong. I wonder whether the players are resentful that he was sacked.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:56 am

it would appear from the outside looking in that the tail is wagging the dog
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Given we now cant change the players, there seems little point in flaming them all out. We've seen they can do it. We just need a manager who can get the best out of them.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:29 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:does not matter what your profession is .If you think your manager is asking you to do a job that you feel could be done in a better , faster ,cleaner more creative or whatever then it very hard to apply yourself fully regardless of your own work ethic.

Bang on. The players obviously don't believe in the way they are being asked to play hence the performances we are seeing.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 pm

James wrote:
adoptedstag wrote:

This.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Its been said in many posts players are culpable also in this.
Preston deserves a kick up the backside and has let us down again.

The main issue with JD is that nobody still, after nearly 10 games and a full pre season, have any clue what his style of football or ethos is and that's at the root of it
If it was all long ball hoof we would at least know that as we did with Cox.

Come on JD try some sort of brand at PV and see what happens it might save your neck but think its too late
A lot on here, although we are not football experts but do watch a few games did tell u that u needed a style of some sort.. good or bad!!

Can't see Steve Hymas having all the say on appointment of a manager but then again there is the easy way and the MTFC way
I sometimes think that we are destined to always be a league 2 type of club as we have been for the majority of our time in football apart from odd moments of glory and no matter what the aspiration of anybody maybe its just not going to happen.

How's that for pessimism...sorry guys...feeling a bit deflated today.. should be ok by tomorrow.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Things not going Dempsters way so far.Not sure of his selections.Playing Bishop and Shaughnessy as defensive midfielders with nobody pulling the strings.Mellis can do that job he should have started.I know he goes missing but he can always be subbed.I would have expected Knowles to be on the bench with Maynard being injured.Hoping for better at Vale Park.I will be there cheering on the manager and players.Some of the fans last night are complete morons.It does no good slagging off another human being like some were.If they have a bad day at work feel sure they will not get abused like Dempster was.Disgraceful.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:30 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:it would appear from the outside looking in that the tail is wagging the dog

How? Why?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:43 pm

You can point the finger at Preston for his idiotic reckless challenge, yes but even in the first half which IMO was the best we have performed all season was still nothing special and we sat far to deep off the ball.

The tactical set up of the team after the sending off was a good example of showing how out of depth Dempster is.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Conker wrote:You can point the finger at Preston for his idiotic reckless challenge, yes but even in the first half which IMO was the best we have performed all season was still nothing special and we sat far to deep off the ball.

The tactical set up of the team after the sending off was a good example of showing how out of depth Dempster is.

So how would you have done it?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Conker wrote:You can point the finger at Preston for his idiotic reckless challenge, yes but even in the first half which IMO was the best we have performed all season was still nothing special and we sat far to deep off the ball.

Come on Spiro, You have seen teams with ten men beat us.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 pm

ParisStag wrote:I know the players bottled it at the end of last season, but it was so close. I think they played for Flicker and really liked him. There was always talk of the dressing room being strong. I wonder whether the players are resentful that he was sacked.

:lol: :lol: :lol: The same players who failed for him when they only needed a point you mean?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 am

The One wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Come on Spiro, You have seen teams with ten men beat us.

in general it's done by a team with bottle, a team with a modicum of spunk. usually a top side is so much better man 4 man that losing a player makes little difference. sadly from what i've seen of this shower so far they anything but a top side. for them to collapse like that against a powder puff poor utd side was scarily concerning.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum