{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Glover interview & EFL highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Glover interview & EFL highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 am

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Glover interview & EFL highlights

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:41 am

Glover delivers the most uninspiring interview yet!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:15 am

Sounds good that the lads are just 'messing about' in training.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:56 am

Stoney wrote:Sounds good that the lads are just 'messing about' in training.

i thought the same, poor choice of words
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:03 am

I have no problem with the players messing about as long as it is with a football. Individual skills and tricks often develop from informal play when players can try things out without the rigidity of formal training patterns.

As long as they are doing the formal stuff as well, then fine as far as I am concerned, in fact it should be encouraged in my opinion.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 am

Wow - that's a very worrying insight into the way things are being conducted behind the scenes.

I do worry about the authority of those in charge.
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:12 am

fox in the box wrote:Wow - that's a very worrying insight into the way things are being conducted behind the scenes.

I’m tempted to concur, FITB
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:34 am

These two are Steady Eddies. They are operational, not leaders. When you leave operational people in charge, it falls apart as they struggle to make decisions or instruct delegates properly. JD and Golver come across as operational. They're probably good at being told what to do and do it well, but I don't believe they, as a pair, can succeed without direction from above.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:56 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:These two are Steady Eddies. They are operational, not leaders. When you leave operational people in charge, it falls apart as they struggle to make decisions or instruct delegates properly. JD and Golver come across as operational. They're probably good at being told what to do and do it well, but I don't believe they, as a pair, can succeed without direction from above.

Agree with this. Listened to every interview with Dempster & Glover and I’m yet to be remotely inspired or feel motivated by a single one and my concern is if interviews are that flat how are they conveying themselves to the team? There was a video from Portugal also which showed snippets of them both talking to the squad at training and it felt flat even watching that.

It’s difficult to put this across in a way that doesn’t seem like a character assassination which I don’t intend for by any means.. it’s fine that they’re like that, there’s times when a calm head is what’s needed, and there will likely be aspects of the role they do well, but personally I just worry about their ability to motivate and I think that’s a big factor at this level. Obviously only the squad will have a true reflection of how they are but it’s just my feeling from what we’ve seen coupled with results.

*last nights result has no baring on this, largely irrelevant.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Imagination often varies wildly from the truth. It is the sister of suspicion and the parent of mistrust.

Some fans have very active imaginations.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:29 pm

People on here didn't like Cox's interviews because of his 'good honest boys' and 'errrmmm'. People didn't like Evans interviews moaning about ref decisions, people didn't like flitcrofts interviews using the galvanised and people don't like Dempster/Glover interviews because they 'lack motivation'

I honestly dont think some will ever like any press conferences from any managers, just don't watch them?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Imagination often varies wildly from the truth. It is the sister of suspicion and the parent of mistrust.

Possibly so, but I’m not imagining that neither of them seem particularly motivating in interviews/videos in training, on the touch line, or that the results aren’t good. It’s just an observation.

bobbystagsfan wrote:People on here didn't like Cox's interviews because of his 'good honest boys' and 'errrmmm'. People didn't like Evans interviews moaning about ref decisions, people didn't like flitcrofts interviews using the galvanised and people don't like Dempster/Glover interviews because they 'lack motivation'

I honestly dont think some will ever like any press conferences from any managers, just don't watch them?

For what it’s worth, I always thought Evans interviews were a good watch whether you could believe what he was saying or not. Flitcrofts weren’t too bad either.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:43 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:People on here didn't like Cox's interviews because of his 'good honest boys' and 'errrmmm'. People didn't like Evans interviews moaning about ref decisions, people didn't like flitcrofts interviews using the galvanised and people don't like Dempster/Glover interviews because they 'lack motivation'

I thought Flicker was the most boring person on the planet until I heard Dempster talk. Dreadful.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby WVStag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Imagination often varies wildly from the truth. It is the sister of suspicion and the parent of mistrust.

Yeah... it's clear as day that they're boring as toast mate.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:03 pm

WVStag wrote:

Yeah... it's clear as day that they're boring as toast mate.

Is that burnt toast, undercooked toast or perfect toast? Is it white bread, brown bread or marshmallows even? Is it spread with butter margarine, jam honey, marmite, Nutella or even dripping? Who said toast was boring? :D :D
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:24 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
fox in the box wrote:Wow - that's a very worrying insight into the way things are being conducted behind the scenes.

Well that has undermined any validity you had then Foxy!!!!

He made a simple comment that the players had informal penalty sessions during some training sessions. He didn't say they were messing about in training, he said that they actually were practising penalties more often than the management team were directing them.

It is almost as though people are trying to find the slightest chink in an interview so they can have a go at the management. And then they wonder why we end up with anodine interviews where nothing is said and nothing is risked for fear of some forum expert to dissect it and find fault
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:01 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Well that has undermined any validity you had then Foxy!!!!

He made a simple comment that the players had informal penalty sessions during some training sessions. He didn't say they were messing about in training, he said that they actually were practising penalties more often than the management team were directing them.

It is almost as though people are trying to find the slightest chink in an interview so they can have a go at the management. And then they wonder why we end up with anodine interviews where nothing is said and nothing is risked for fear of some forum expert to dissect it and find fault

Opinions, eh?! ;)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum