{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Incident on Leeming Street

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Incident on Leeming Street

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:We should be aggressively pursuing Woodward if he is available and within budget.
Superb player.

Where does he fit in though???

He’s a defensive midfielder with not much attacking instinct. We already have three other midfielders like that IMO we need players who are comftable in position when being marked, can pick a pass, travel with the ball and score a few goals.

Khan...

Khans a left winger imo and only played well in the centre on a few occasions. Even if we do go with Khan we’re still going to need back up for him.

What ever happens we need one more midfielder and the answer is not another defensive midfielder unless we’re getting rid of one of Macca, Tomlinson or bishop.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:20 pm

victor A block wrote:Gotta say I don't get the love in with Mellis , regardless of what he has done or not done off the field . He's had literally a handful of good games in two seasons.

[he] has contributed zero so far this season .

Jacob Mellis clearly had more than a mere handful of good games last season for the reasons I have already stated. He had a very good season and was very important to the team.

Jacob Mellis has only played 68 minutes this season at Newport before he was sent off and he whipped in the free kick for Krystian Pearce to head home for the first goal and was involved in the build up to the second goal. He also played in Nicky Maynard in the 2nd half who blasted a shot over the bar.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:We should be aggressively pursuing Woodward if he is available and within budget.
Superb player.

He’s a defensive midfielder with not much attacking instinct. We already have three other midfielders like that IMO we need players who are comftable in position when being marked, can pick a pass, travel with the ball and score a few goals.

Khan...

Khans a left winger imo and only played well in the centre on a few occasions. Even if we do go with Khan we’re still going to need back up for him.

What ever happens we need one more midfielder and the answer is not another defensive midfielder unless we’re getting rid of one of Macca, Tomlinson or bishop.

Khan was exceptional at the start of last season playing centrally, and his assists/chances created record backs that up too.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 pm

oldweststander wrote:Footballers have always abused the rules re going out drinking, the problem is the alleged assault that took place.
Provided Mellis is cleared by the Police of assault, he had not done a great deal wrong, he was not eligible to play due to suspension.
Donohue is different, he was in Saturdays squad and should be fined for his drinking and sacked if convicted of assault.

That's pretty much how I see it too oldweststander. I would add if club rules were such the Mellis shouldn't have been out drinking he should also be fined.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
victor A block wrote:Gotta say I don't get the love in with Mellis , regardless of what he has done or not done off the field . He's had literally a handful of good games in two seasons.

[he] has contributed zero so far this season .

Jacob Mellis clearly had more than a mere handful of good games last season for the reasons I have already stated.

Jacob Mellis has only played 68 minutes this season at Newport before he was sent off and he whipped in the free kick for Krystian Pearce to head home for the first goal and was involved in the build up to the second goal. He also played in Nicky Maynard in the 2nd half who blasted a shot over the bar.

he will be hard to replace (if he has to be). not irreplaceable, but good playmakers in league two can be hard to come by
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:57 pm

nick_stags wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Superb player.

Khan...

Khan was exceptional at the start of last season playing centrally, and his assists/chances created record backs that up too.

He had three or four good games and in two of them ended up drifting out towards the left.

He’s deffo not a central midfielder though ready to do the same role as Mellis.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 pm

my name is jonas wrote:We shouldn’t sack Mellis or Donahue imo.

Hefty fine and a suspension is enough for me. If we get rid, guarantee another club comes in for them and potentially mugs us off more down the line.

Yes what they have done is not defendable but the same time it’s up to the police now to further any punishment to them.

The photo that I saw would amount to to a charge of ABH which is an indictable offence. CPS decision, not police. May take a couple of weeks for CPS decision if they have been released under investigation.

Mellis and Donahue will find out the results of this whether they are being charged of NFA'd, not MTFC.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Stoney wrote:I'm probably alone in thinking this but I reckon we already have a midfielder who is more creative than Mellis.

Willem Tomlinson.

Tomlinson definitely has the ability and vision. Cheltenham at home last season showed that. The question mark is whether he could do it under pressure. He struggled in those crucial games towards the end of last season but he’s a young player who won’t have been in that situation before.

So Stoney has a point here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Stoney wrote:I'm probably alone in thinking this but I reckon we already have a midfielder who is more creative than Mellis.

Willem Tomlinson.

Tomlinson definitely has the ability and vision. Cheltenham at home last season showed that. The question mark is whether he could do it under pressure. He struggled in those crucial games towards the end of last season but he’s a young player who won’t have been in that situation before.

So Stoney has a point here.

It still leaves us short with 2 midfielders down. With Macca, Bishop, Tomlinson and Smith we still need more creativity imo although I'm not sure on what kind of midfielder Smith is
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Footballers have always abused the rules re going out drinking, the problem is the alleged assault that took place.
Provided Mellis is cleared by the Police of assault, he had not done a great deal wrong, he was not eligible to play due to suspension.
Donohue is different, he was in Saturdays squad and should be fined for his drinking and sacked if convicted of assault.

That's pretty much how I see it too oldweststander. I would add if club rules were such the Mellis shouldn't have been out drinking he should also be fined.

Sorry but if Mellis was there and didn't stop or try to stop it then hes as guilty. If you stand by and watch your mate battere someone your a low life and not the kind of person we should employ.

Footballers are role models, my 7 year old thinks Mellis is the bees knees... With the fame and fortune comes responsibility. Those that abuse it should have no place in the game and dont deserve the riches. If all clubs took a more responsible approach you'd soon see players cleaning up their act.

If he was there, tried to stop it. Helped the lad after and testifies to the same then yeah i agree. He gets a punishment for being out but clearly acted in everyone's best interest when DD 'lost it'... anything but that and he should be done.

It's bad enough what happened. But to a former player, a youngster, a stag. Its beyond unacceptable. Good riddens.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:39 am

nick_stags wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Superb player.

Khan...

I do really rate Khan and think he can be a big player for us, but he isn’t an out and out CM so I don’t really see him as somebody who will cover properly for Mellis and Donohue being out. He can play in the attacking role but we need somebody to come in who can play in one of the 2 deeper midfield roles, be comfortable on the ball and dictate play particularly in home games. The signing also needs to be comfortable playing in a 2 If we were to switch up to a 442. If we don’t find somebody capable of doing this I won’t be at all surprised to see us all frustrated more often in the same way we was against Morecambe in the league.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:37 am

Mellis is a good player for us overall and could play league 1 easily but think we can live without him
Donohue turned out to be a strange signing and I think a bit of a problem child to be honest.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
mansfieldarmy wrote:Alex Woodyard ex Lincoln and posh captain last season been told today he can leave on a free

It's not like Darragh MacAnthony to let players go for free. He would not drop the "small" transfer fee that he wanted from Lincoln for Mark O'Hara In fact, I'm sure the Cowleys would love to have Alex Woodyard back if they have any money left.

MacAnthony thinks every player he has is worth 3 times there real worth.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am

Jamie wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Sorry but if Mellis was there and didn't stop or try to stop it then hes as guilty. If you stand by and watch your mate battere someone your a low life and not the kind of person we should employ.

Footballers are role models, my 7 year old thinks Mellis is the bees knees... With the fame and fortune comes responsibility. Those that abuse it should have no place in the game and dont deserve the riches. If all clubs took a more responsible approach you'd soon see players cleaning up their act.

If he was there, tried to stop it. Helped the lad after and testifies to the same then yeah i agree. He gets a punishment for being out but clearly acted in everyone's best interest when DD 'lost it'... anything but that and he should be done.

It's bad enough what happened. But to a former player, a youngster, a stag. Its beyond unacceptable. Good riddens.

But you’re extrapolating a scenario out of nothing. I thought we were in concordance that we need for the facts to be fully established
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am

Amber Andy wrote:

If found guilty, I would sack them both.
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 am

Jamie wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I agree with much of that. It depends on what Mellis did or didn't do.

If it was just about drinking in the early hours then I think a club fine and a warning would be sufficient .

The facts will eventually come out, an appropriate decision will be made by the club, so it's best to wait and see.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:00 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

But you’re extrapolating a scenario out of nothing. I thought we were in concordance that we need for the facts to be fully established

It's not extrapolated out of nothing. The fact is that two senior Mansfield players have been suspended due to their involvement in an incident that happened at 4am the day before a game. Their involvement in the incident lead to the players being arrested.

What we do not know is their level of involvement or what actually happened during the build up to a young lad being put in hospital, so it's serious.

Agree we need to wait for the facts, as I and others have been filling in the blanks...
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 am

And I’ve no issue with that.
No one has answered my question as to whether anyone knows whether Melli’s has an escape chitty for that night as he was suspended.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:51 am

bellwhiff wrote:And I’ve no issue with that.
No one has answered my question as to whether anyone knows whether Melli’s has an escape chitty for that night as he was suspended.

Even if he had a free pass and gets the all clear on assault charges - being arrested should mean he gets a heavy fine.

Bad press for the club!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby joethestag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:

Even if he had a free pass and gets the all clear on assault charges - being arrested should mean he gets a heavy fine.

Bad press for the club!

How could they possibly give him a hefty fine if he was:

1. Given permission to go out
2. Cleared of the charges

Makes absolutely 0 sense. Imagine if you were arrested for something you didn't do, you cleared your name but then your employer fined you 2 weeks wages?
joethestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MOTG » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm

By the way, does anybody know how the young injured man in this case is doing in his recovery etc. Hopefully he makes a quick and full recovery.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm

omg nobody has answered your question?, how dare they!

get that foot stamping :lol:

why don’t you phone the manager up and demand your kept in the loop

i’m sure you will be able to bleat on for another few pages haaaa haaaaa
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:58 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

omg nobody has answered your question?, how dare they!

get that foot stamping :lol:

why don’t you phone the manager up and demand your kept in the loop

i’m sure you will be able to bleat on for another few pages haaaa haaaaa

You’re both just naughty boys
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:19 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:

Bad press for the club!

so if I go out friday night and get arrested for something I didnt do or had nothing to do with my employer is entitled to whack me with a big fine?
Do you live in North Korea by any chance? and do you think witches should still be burned alive just because they looked at you in a funny way?
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:33 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:

Bad press for the club!

That’s just ridiculous. Being arrested is not an indication of guilt. What a stupid comment

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum