{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport scorefred sponsored by Earwig O

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport scorefred sponsored by Earwig O

Postby WVStag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:28 pm

tibby wrote:We’ll be a better side without Mellis. Roll on next game

Behave.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Never a red in a million years!

If that’s a red then any sort of handbags should result in a red card.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:59 pm

The problem is the short delay before Mellis goes over, I don't think it was deliberate but I can see why the officials may have thought it was.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Full marks to everyone for showing grit and determination. Two down at half time, missed penalty and a man sent off, and to come back with a point, shows fight. Well done.

t'is a pity some on here haven't the same attributes. i've never known such a bunch of cry babies
Last edited by Spiritater on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:40 pm

Sneag wrote:The problem is the short delay before Mellis goes over, I don't think it was deliberate but I can see why the officials may have thought it was.

Even if it was deliberate, it’s just a yellow - it’s not like he stamped him in the face. Handbags at best, similar to a push in the chest.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:50 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Sneag wrote:The problem is the short delay before Mellis goes over, I don't think it was deliberate but I can see why the officials may have thought it was.

Even if it was deliberate, it’s just a yellow - it’s not like he stamped him in the face. Handbags at best, similar to a push in the chest.

It wasn't even a yellow. Intent was taken out of the laws of the game many years ago, how can you judge what a player means to do? This was a nothinig incident, nothing.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:56 pm

WVStag wrote:
tibby wrote:We’ll be a better side without Mellis. Roll on next game

Behave.

Crazy, literally nothing to back this up whatsoever. If you want a midfield that can’t pass the ball then you’re bang on, if we want to do something with it it’s well off the mark, in my opinion.

That said, I expect us to probably play a different system next week and will probably look better against a poor Morecambe side, but nevertheless Mellis is still our best midfielder for me.

For what it’s worth I don’t think it’s a red card at all. The incident looks absolutely pathetic on the video and if that’s a straight red from the angle I can see then the games gone completely but we’ll see what happens. Will effect us if he is out for 3 games.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:44 am

bellwhiff wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I’d have taken a draw this morning.

Point here is that some of our supporters need to have a good look at themselves. Utterly utterly spineless. I’ve just read this thread and it’s pretty embarrassing.

Same old mate.

These lot and the usual knee jerk reaction morons at the game who don't have two brain cells to rub together. The booing at half time was laughable.

It could be argued that they’ve bought tickets and committed to a long away trip (unlike their Stagsnet critics) with high expectations, to be then proffered a way-below average first half performance.

I’m not defending moronic barracking but, at the end of the day, they are entitled to “support” our club in any way that they wish.

Stags fans have never handled disappointment well!

It could be argued that the comments when we were two down before half time in our first league game, away from home and against a play off team were cringeworthy. Literally embarrassing to read.

This, we are in accord.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:21 am

I haven't read all the thread but the parts I have are typical fodder, praise Rose, slag off Logan but very little talk of others, Khan for instance and Gordon both were quality.

JD should have learned today that Khan must start and Gordon is a natural at RB, White has real competition when he's fit and there's no need to play CJ there.

I struggle to understand what Macca's role was yesterday, was he supposed to play a defensive role or provide ammunition going forward, did neither, an ongoing problem in my mind.

Hopefully we will only have to play Newport one more time, Flynn has them really disciplined in terms of hitting the deck as if they have been shot, sadly with a view of getting the opposition carded. It's a big part of their game plan, no doubt he will mention his stock interview answer of us being a physical team.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:48 am

It looked to me that he deliberately dropped his knees on to the player. I can see why it was given.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:06 am

Red card for me.

Regarding the game. Shocking first half performances and feared the worse for the second half. Hamilton was wasted in that position. We need to play two central defenders. Fair play to Dempster for changing it.
Shame we didn't score the penalty as I think we would not only have won but scored more. Can't grumble though. I would of taken a point before the game started
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 am

CassellsCap wrote:The wisest words are those left unspoken and I wish people who are quick to slam blame on players or managers would pause a while and think before they do so...get behind the stags , support our club and owners and realise where we are. Solidarity will be rewarded and good times are sweeter when done with class...

You have to remember that some prefer expending their oxygen on shouting loudly, rather than thinking rationally :P

A manager with zero league experience, probably still working out his team, with a team still working on implementing his style, put in a rusty performance at the time of season you'd expect it.

Anyone thinking we would be the finished article & roll Newport over clearly has nurse Ratched as their carer ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:27 am

Reddish yellow card to me Mellis def drops deliberately and thought he could get away with it and another day he would have yellow maybe with softer red
Silly sending off and one that probably cost us 3 points
Happy with one in the end but those 2 points may haunt us come April next year
Going to ge an interesting season and hoping Bishop is going to improve as he was one of the main drivers last season
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:28 am

]Reddish yellow card to me Mellis def drops deliberately and thought he could get away with it and another day he would have yellow maybe with softer ref
Silly sending off and one that probably cost us 3 points
Happy with one in the end but those 2 points may haunt us come April next year
Going to be an interesting season and hoping Bishop is going to improve as he was one of the main drivers last season
Gordon and Rose and Khan should start next week and agree Macca looks out of sorts and unsure what hi role is myself.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:43 am

Red card for me. I thought at the time Jacob Mellis could have avoided it but then adjusted himself to make sure he landed on the Newport player's back with his knees. He knew what he was doing. It was completely stupid and unprofessional as we were on top at the time.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:51 am

Agree, he tried to be sly and got caught. Whether it was a red or not I’m not sure, but he definitely knew what he was doing.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 am

Ridiculous red card, especially when you consider the two that weren’t given to Newport in the playoffs for the last man on Walker & the shocking elbow on Rose. I still can’t believe that wasn’t a red to this day, awful premeditated assault that was.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:03 am

I'm not sure mellis has the defensive discipline to play the deeper role you know, watch him on the first goals. He doesn't even attempt to help Hamilton out.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:36 am

I think Mellis tackled Labadie in the 2nd play off and labadie went off injured.
I thought goalies were not allowed to move in penalties ,King was jumping about all the time
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Just watched the video. Conrad seemed to dive in slow motion for their first goal.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:44 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Just watched the video. Conrad seemed to dive in slow motion for their first goal.

Get out of town. I was expecting a real ricket after the bilge and bile I read on here

Not his fault.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spitfire37489 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Proof enough for me

Spitfire37489
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:35 am

Sedgwick wrote:Text in from a PA images photographer from Rodney parade... "your new manager just lost his raspberries in there" Super HT team talk

Interesting that John Lomas has just reported Neil Bishop has just told him that he was surprised that there was no half time rollocking from the manager at half time. He said the players had a bit of a go at each other and Dempster walked in calmly and explained the changes he was going to make.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:50 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Text in from a PA images photographer from Rodney parade... "your new manager just lost his raspberries in there" Super HT team talk

Interesting that John Lomas has just reported Neil Bishop has just told him that he was surprised that there was no half time rollocking from the manager at half time. He said the players had a bit of a go at each other and Dempster walked in calmly and explained the changes he was going to make.

That’s the way it should be done. The players need to take some responsibility for the way they played first half, and they did. A calming influence might be good. The way they came out second half bodes well imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:

That’s the way it should be done. The players need to take some responsibility for the way they played first half, and they did. A calming influence might be good. The way they came out second half bodes well imo.

The sign of a great team - one that can self administer and take accountability for themselves. Also, if the picture painted is true, it's great management from JD to allow that to happen and for him to then calmly change the system.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum