{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Squad Depth 2019/20

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Squad Depth 2019/20

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:39 am

I’m only listing the senior pros

GK
Logan
Olejnik
Stone

RB
White

CB
Pearce
Preston
Sweeney

LB
Benning

RWB
White
CJ

DM

LWB
Benning
CJ

RM
CJ
Khan
Macca
OSJ

CM
Bishop
Macca
Mellis
Tomlinson

LM
CJ
Khan
OSJ

AMC
Melli’s
Khan
OSJ

ST
Cook
Davies
Maynard
Rose

IMO still required :
A defender who can cover both full back positions, or a CB who can cover full backs, possible two.
A quick right winger
A holding midfielder
A number ten
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad Depth 2019/20

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:44 pm

This, in my humble opinion, is a promotion-winning squad. I can’t wait for the start of the new season.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Stone goalkeeper
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:14 pm

daddycool wrote:Stone goalkeeper

Yeah, I don't consider him to be a senior pro.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
daddycool wrote:Stone goalkeeper

Yeah, I don't consider him to be a senior pro.

think he will/could be
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:07 pm

On paper our team looks very strong indeed. I'm far more optimistic than I was this time last year. Just hope we start on the front foot with two strikers, especially at home. We need to just go out and attack and let other teams worry about us, rather than adapting our game to counter the opposition. If we're going to lose let's lose 5-4! Fortune favours the brave
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 pm

I’m not being stung again after the last two seasons, one game at a time thanks.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Would still like to see the addition of Timi Elsnik to the squad. In my opinion he has the ability to knit the defence to the forwards whilst playing the ball on floor. He gives us another dimension to the game.

Anyone know where he is bound this summer?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:17 pm

Bish not listed as DM... very odd.

I think the squad is about right when you consider we've got a couple of half decent youngsters who could play if needed. Probably a CB short if we're gonna play a back 3 again.

We'll no doubt add to the squad in January again too. So what we have now only has to get us through 4 months.

If running a tight squad is the sacrifice for getting a couple of quality forwards then so be it.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:28 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Would still like to see the addition of Timi Elsnik to the squad. In my opinion he has the ability to knit the defence to the forwards whilst playing the ball on floor. He gives us another dimension to the game.

Shirebrook
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:Would still like to see the addition of Timi Elsnik to the squad. In my opinion he has the ability to knit the defence to the forwards whilst playing the ball on floor. He gives us another dimension to the game.

Shirebrook

He is Slovenian, not Polish so would Stand no chance of getting a job there! :shock:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Jamie wrote:Bish not listed as DM... very odd.

I think the squad is about right when you consider we've got a couple of half decent youngsters who could play if needed. Probably a CB short if we're gonna play a back 3 again.

We'll no doubt add to the squad in January again too. So what we have now only has to get us through 4 months.

If running a tight squad is the sacrifice for getting a couple of quality forwards then so be it.

He's not a DM, he's a central midfielder. Defensively minded, but he doesn't stay sat in front of the back four.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

He's not a DM, he's a central midfielder. Defensively minded, but he doesn't stay sat in front of the back four.

Maybe it's just me, but having watched him all last season that's pretty much exactly what he does... it's also what Tomo did most of the time he played too.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Jamie wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but having watched him all last season that's pretty much exactly what he does... it's also what Tomo did most of the time he played too.

While i dont like pigeonholing players i think of bish as more of a breaker upper ,than as an attacking midfielder
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Jamie wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I class a defensive midfielder as someone who sits in front of the defence and doesn't move. Bish doesn't do that. In fact, he chases the ball almost constantly, sometimes to the detriment of the teams structure. You also wouldn't see a DM in the box trying to get on the end of attacks as Bishop does.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:53 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Jamie wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I class a defensive midfielder as someone who sits in front of the defence and doesn't move. Bish doesn't do that. In fact, he chases the ball almost constantly, sometimes to the detriment of the teams structure. You also wouldn't see a DM in the box trying to get on the end of attacks as Bishop does.

Jamie, give up, this youth's never wrong!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Jamie wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

:roll:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:47 pm

No one from stags has spoken to him yet.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm hoping we can do better than Elsnik. His contribution is overstated a bit I think purely because his departure coincided with a downturn in results. He's a steady player but he couldn't get a game for Northampton for most of his loan spell.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:05 pm

A right back/Left back has to be priority now. Who would we like to see signed for the full back positions?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Dont we have a very good youngster who is a full back - cannot think of his name a the moment but, why buy when you can already provide.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:A right back/Left back has to be priority now. Who would we like to see signed for the full back positions?
Paul Anderson :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 pm

garlic wrote:Dont we have a very good youngster who is a full back - cannot think of his name a the moment but, why buy when you can already provide.

Jason Law was played at full back a few times last season, but I thought he was originally a striker.

He's so very good you don't know his name :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
garlic wrote:Dont we have a very good youngster who is a full back - cannot think of his name a the moment but, why buy when you can already provide.

Jason Law was played at full back a few times last season, but I thought he was originally a striker.

He's so very good you don't know his name :lol:

It`s an age thing, you`ll have to one day.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Jamie wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Thought it was just me getting that feeling.
I know forum's are all about opinions but Musings thinks only his matter and shouts down anyone who disagrees with him.
Was beginning to think SAF had become a Stags fan because he obviously knows so much more about football than the rest of us.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum