{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Wow!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 12:22 pm

I am genuinely shocked it’s happened, though you can understand why.

I’m even more shocked at John Dempster getting the job! Not to be Doctor Doom but I fear we may be reigning it in a bit with the budget just like with the Murray appointment. Not writing him off by any stretch, he’s done a great job with the youth team but this is a different kettle of fish.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 12:22 pm

John Dempster has done really well with the youth, and considering managers with proven promotions has let us down (Evans, Flitcroft) I don’t see why not giving something different a go.

Hopefully JR is still giving him the backing that Flitcroft got, that’s my only concern.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Massive risk this, it seems to me like the big budgets are gone and we are going to consolidate and cut our cloth accordingly.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Cannot see for the life of me JR entrusting Demps with the same size budget to work with as Flitcroft had. Screams a cut back this, can't see any other way round it.

At least I know I won't need to fork out for a season ticket now off the back of this news. Can put that money towards my holiday instead. Every cloud.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stag95 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Wow did not expect that. Is this the Radfords pulling the plug financially? I hope not.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm

JR has invested too much in the infrastructure of the club to step back from the promotion hunt.

He obviously knows and trusts John Dempster so his judgement is good enough for me. There will now be good odds for pundits as bookies will not expect us to go up
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 12:27 pm

To all those who said Flitcroft's job wasn't under threat if we failed to get promotion........
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Wasn't expecting him to get the bullet but the pressure to produce next season would have been huge,wonder if Dempster will be fielding more of our own when his job depends on results.Brave decision by JR,hope the budget is at least competitive.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wink68 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Stag95 wrote:Wow did not expect that. Is this the Radfords pulling the plug financially? I hope not.

Yes.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 pm

WVStag wrote:Cannot see for the life of me JR entrusting Demps with the same size budget to work with as Flitcroft had. Screams a cut back this, can't see any other way round it.

At least I know I won't need to fork out for a season ticket now off the back of this news. Can put that money towards my holiday instead. Every cloud.

Thats the spirit
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 pm

WVStag wrote:Cannot see for the life of me JR entrusting Demps with the same size budget to work with as Flitcroft had. Screams a cut back this, can't see any other way round it.

Glory supporter....no better than them Man City fans in green dragon on Sunday.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Ballsy move by JR. It does feel like a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Perhaps a little unfair, given what has occured over the last 18 months or so that was out of DFs control. Are we still going for the top 3 budget or is it cut? Are we scared off because of the spending power of Salford and the large teams coming from league 1. The league does seem like the league will be stronger this coming season based on new teams entering and their financial power.

DF is the first manager for a long time who has moulded a team where our main striker is a hot property (Tyler was just "Des Walker's kid") or a fringe player developed to being potentially worth £1m. Maybe the Radfords wanted to sell Hamilton to recoup some money and DF has said he needs him next season to be successful.

I am very surprised by this and even more surprised that we've gone for the cheap option. Dempster is untested in any league except kids league. Does he have the contacts? Maybe Adam Murray in as assistant?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby weststander » Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm

With the cryptic Chipperfield quote, you wonder if it was purely down to results?
Just a guess obviously. So will the players we keep now have to start playing with a
Different formation and tactics? Will his contacts be sufficient? Etc etc.
Not completely shocked at the news, but really didn't expect Dempster to get the job.
How long a contract?
weststander
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue May 14, 2019 12:30 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:

Least if we have an excellent season he'll be forking out match day prices each game. every cloud
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue May 14, 2019 12:30 pm

He's one of our own John Dempster he's one of our own

Good Luck John

Now I'm thinking of renewing my season ticket even though I walked away on Sunday thinking I've had enough of paying good money n watching the same old anon committal rubbish over the last 4 months

Well done JR who said this guy didn't care because he spends most of his time abroad or was an easy walkover yeahhhh right NOT
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue May 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Wow, very shocked that he's done this. Can't say i blame him, the fans were split over his future and JR is the one who has footed the bill... To me, this suggests we'll have a season next year where we do actually try and run within our own means. So that suggests a more modest mid table budget.

Can't say i'm happy with Dempster, they can dress him up however you like but he's got zero experience and we're basically taking a role of the dice here. It could end up any number of ways, he could build a great team and take us up, we could have a mediocre season, or he could take us down. A complete gamble by JR. Its one thing taking a risk but this one is a bit crazy IMO.

He'll get my full support and i'll be there next season as i've been the there the last 20+.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 pm

You can be as good as want with the youth team. League Two manager is completely different. Yes every manager has to start somewhere but promoting from within usually happens when your struggling and have no money.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Least if we have an excellent season he'll be forking out match day prices each game. every cloud

Get a grip. After what has happened for the last two seasons, and with this appointment, you think there are going to be LOADS of people inspired to buy a season ticket again?
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm

pretty shocked about this one.

are the flitcroft out camp happy now?

good luck demps!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Should have gone and got Ryan Lowe before someone else does....
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Chander Lear wrote:

Thats the spirit

He’s got a point about it looking like a cheap option

I thought Radford was better than this. It’s insane
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm

WVStag wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Get a grip. After what has happened for the last two seasons, and with this appointment, you think there are going to be LOADS of people inspired to buy a season ticket again?

Club really doesn’t need supporters like you....you belong to the sky sports brigade.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 12:35 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:I’m guessing we will see some youngster and hopefully a big budget to bring in some good players to help the young ones out.

I think radford will still supply a promotion budget and sorts as he won’t want to lose the momentum of the growing fan base.

I suspect he's already done that. No disrespect to JD as he's done a great job with the youngsters. But ( a bit like Brexit), JR has probably upset fans on both sides of the devide. Those ( like me who think DF should be given a bit more time ), and the others that wanted rid of DF but expected experienced managers like Clarke, Hiil or Coleman as a replacement. I think a lot of fans will see this as a gamble. Maybe an experienced number two and Adam Murray doing the recruitment will make it more palatable. I trust JR to do the right thing, but it's a very surprising decision.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 14, 2019 12:35 pm

1. Sacking Flitcroft is a stupid decision.
2. Giving Dempster the job is ludicrous.

It smacks of money saving.

Disgraceful lack of loyalty.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum