{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby eggy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Not the decision I would’ve made, but...

JR has our best interests at heart, that belief I will never waver on. He’s generally been patient and given managers time so I don’t doubt he was 100% sure this was the time for Flitcroft to go. I’d have given DF more time but it’s hard to not say that this season was a failure. Dempster has done a very good job with the youth team, and while it’s a leap to the first team, we have to remember that we are a lower league team and this is where new managers will get their chances.

Whether you agree with this or not our job now is to back JR, JD and the boys all the way.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Beano wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:1. Sacking Flitcroft is a stupid decision.
2. Giving Dempster the job is ludicrous.

It smacks of money saving.

Disgraceful lack of loyalty.

1) Flitcroft failed (twice)
2) Dempster is a gamble, but how have we faired with the last 2 experienced managers?

Money saving, have you seen next seasons budget? (no)

I didn’t think “hissy fits” were your thing

And how did we fair with the last inexperienced manager!

He had a much smaller budget and brought in Pearce, Benning and CJ.

Failcroft has been given everything from the owners and didn't meat his objectives.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:I’m guessing we will see some youngster and hopefully a big budget to bring in some good players to help the young ones out.

I think radford will still supply a promotion budget and sorts as he won’t want to lose the momentum of the growing fan base.

I suspect he's already done that. No disrespect to JD as he's done a great job with the youngsters. But ( a bit like Brexit), JR has probably upset fans on both sides of the devide. Those ( like me who think DF should be given a bit more time ), and the others that wanted rid of DF but expected experienced managers like Clarke, Hiil or Coleman as a replacement. I think a lot of fans will see this as a gamble. Maybe an experienced number two and Adam Murray doing the recruitment will make it more palatable. I trust JR to do the right thing, but it's a very surprising decision.

Still not a reason to avoid the club On match days which fans in here and twitter have already said they will do.

I agree with you 100%. But tell that to the ones who will be expecting miracles from an inexperienced manager, when we are mid table or worse.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:52 pm

jpstags wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
WVStag wrote:Cannot see for the life of me JR entrusting Demps with the same size budget to work with as Flitcroft had. Screams a cut back this, can't see any other way round it.

At least I know I won't need to fork out for a season ticket now off the back of this news. Can put that money towards my holiday instead. Every cloud.

Thats the spirit

He’s got a point about it looking like a cheap option

I thought Radford was better than this. It’s insane

Wind your neck in you naive fool. You know nothing of Flitcroft's piss taking demands and acting like a Prima Donna behind the scenes.
It wouldnt be so bad if you went to games :shock:
More urban myths ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:53 pm

HughesyStag89 wrote:What a joke ?? Highest league position in years and now we have a rookie ?? Not even proven at professional level ?
What players could Dempster attract that will benefit us ?? I can also see a few more players leaving now too so let’s enjoy that mid table yo-yo again

I agree, especially about the highest finish in years.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:55 pm

jpstags wrote:
Random Hero wrote:What if this isn't actually Radford's decision?

Perhaps Flitcroft has been offered a position elsewhere, higher up in the leagues...

Cuckoo !!

On that. If Bury lose their manager to Plymouth and DF goes to Bury !

Oh the irony :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tiptop » Tue May 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
HughesyStag89 wrote:What a joke ?? Highest league position in years and now we have a rookie ?? Not even proven at professional level ?
What players could Dempster attract that will benefit us ?? I can also see a few more players leaving now too so let’s enjoy that mid table yo-yo again

I agree, especially about the highest finish in years.

I have too agree with this, great post.....

Our chairman for the last 2 years has told us we nearly break even and that the commercial side generates good income, also no payment for the ground.
Adding extra attendances, I just don't get why risk all for a rookie??? Keith Hill with dempster as his no2 for me would be the wise choice....

If we are budget cutting, guess cheaper season tickets and match day tickets...
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue May 14, 2019 3:11 pm

If we are budget cutting to recoup outlay over the past two years guess increased season ticket prices and match day tickets
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 14, 2019 3:19 pm

I can see someone like Jordan Graham or Jimmy Knowles having a few games at the start of the season and doing really well under demps
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm

I was in the DF in camp....however if it were my money and my manager had screwed up 2 promotions in 2 seasons with the biggest budget in our history I would be thinking the same as JR. Dempster can’t do much worse other than get us relegated imo. DF employed some embarrassingly negative tactics in those last dozen games. Anyway, thanks DF for your efforts!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagparty » Tue May 14, 2019 3:35 pm

I have no problem with the decision.

Had we fielded one of Dempsters youth sides for the last five games my bet is we would have secured the points required for league 1 football.
20/04/2013 Back where we belong.
stagparty
First Team
First Team

Postby Bradders » Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 pm

I didn't see it coming, but it could well be that it's a performance related thing.

The other likely option is that Flitcroft made promises and failed to deliver - a bit too similar to last season. Obviously we're not privy to private conversations, but JR must have been hopping mad at the end of last season and wanted to hear how a similar season ending would be avoided this time.

It's certain that in his original job interview Flitcroft would have assured him that he could see the 2017/18 season out and at the very least challenge in the playoffs. He may have excuses, but the fact is that he didn't deliver, and couldn't seem to motivate the players to get the odd few points necessary.

This season, I'm sure that JR would have asked for assurances that the end of the season wouldn't just tail off again. Again, the players didn't seem to be motivated for the big games, and couldn't even scrape the single point necessary for promotion. That the season tailed off again is seriously disappointing. So the sacking is not a massive surprise.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Wow JR, that's bold.
Shock shock, like the thought of Dempster as a sort of temp but NOT as full time boss.
Somebody like Keith Hill would have brought something for us I think.

A really fresh face was needed in my humble view
I will of course give him 100% support and good luck John and John.

JR is certainly thinking out of the box.......lets hope he can bag a striker or 2 to score in it!!
Last edited by tillydog123 on Tue May 14, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:Its worked for Southgate and the national team, why can't this model work for us?

We keep hearing about the promising youth team we have, that door has well and truly been blown open now to progress upwards. JD will know who can make it, coupled with some really strong additons in the transfer window it really could work.

Yes its a gamble, but isn't it always.

JD has my full backing.

This :-P :-P :good_post: :good_post:
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Well, really surprised JR has pressed the eject button now, it’s a very brave call, not all together the wrong call, as this might come as a shock to some but even though DF was really nice guy on camera I did have reservations on his inability to not get the team over the line twice two years running, it’s the appointment of JD which I find baffling tbh, his infrastructure will need to be pretty good and I await to be impressed as it should start coming together pretty soon one would guess.

In relation to the budget, JR last season In his end of season speech stated that DF would have the same budget as fat man did, I never heard that this year in his speech, however his passion and investment in us should never be questioned until now maybe, all we need is a statement from him informing us we need not worry!

Here’s hoping we get one petty soon to stop this lot worrying their tits off

I really do wish we had tapped Daryl Clarke up last week though just in case.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby shirestag » Tue May 14, 2019 4:01 pm

not sure how I feel. people saying would have given him 10/15 games next season but it seems to be end of seasons he has problems with so could have stayed and done same as this year. I said when the scot went give demps the last games see how he got on. not sure its the cheap option only JR knows why he given him the job. I for one will be there next season its an hard habit to break after 35 years. has Adam ant once said 'don't drink don't smoke what do you do' :coys: :roll:
shirestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Sure a lot of folk wanted Dempster in when Evans was sacked!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby shirestag » Tue May 14, 2019 4:11 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Sure a lot of folk wanted Dempster in when Evans was sacked!!!

yes I know a few that did
shirestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Whilst I was in favour of giving Flitcroft another season or at least until Xmas, I can understand the decision taken. Quite simply if the outcome hasn't been met, you're gone, happens in most professions. The bit I can't get is the quick appointment of Dempster. If course I will back any new manager but I thought it was about progress. Sticking with Flitcroft would have either maintained the rate of progress or thereabouts. Dempster is a total gamble in terms of whether it will be a case of 2 steps forward, one back. Very odd and I hope for more of an official statement soon.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Gruff » Tue May 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Firstly, I would like to thank DF for bringing the right kind of disappointment to Mansfield. We're disappointed about not being promoted, not because we have been relegated. He seemed a really genuine bloke, but in a results based business, then he must have known the expectations of the Radfords, and must accept the consequences of failing to achieve them.

I'm pretty sure he won't be unemployed for long, and would also like to thank him for the style of football he tried to bring to the club, and the development of some of the players in the squad.

The Radfords could have gone for anybody, but have put faith in a coach that has worked at the club for a number of years, developing youth and achieving impressive results with the crop of players he has worked with.

As with any manager at Mansfield (even Steve Evans) I would like to wish him all the success that the Radfords, the team and the supporters deserve.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Herts Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Good luck to Demps. He has been successful with the youngsters and none of us really know what sort of man manager he is. The facts are that from a strong position we have struggled badly to get over the line. Yep the injuries to Bobby and Hayden White didn't help but as may have said there was no evidence of a plan B or change in the way we played for those most important final games and DF has paid a high price. Lets get behind JD. Ijust hope that his backroom staff includes a seasoned assistant manager that Adam Murray shied away from. MIke Flynn had Lennie Lawrence guiding him. I think JD needs the same.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stagsfan11 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Players have to respect their manager. If they dont, jog them on. No player is bigger than a club

There was a bust up the night before the Newport first leg between the manager and couple of players. I don’t know which players were involved.

This comes from a text from one of the players to a family member. I don’t mind naming the player who sent the text if they no longer play for us next season. A couple of people on this board have also seen the text.

Oddly it actually improved our performance too.
Stagsfan11
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:08 pm

I don't see how Demps is a 'gamble'. We aren't going to go down so even if he doesn't work out, we'll be mid-table at worst. Priming a young coach in house is a better way of knowing your candidate - where perhaps we didn't know Flicker or Evans that we'll - and lots of good young managers seem to come out of nowhere look at the Cowleys. They'd only managed school teams and amateurs before getting the Braintree job.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Amberheart wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:Its worked for Southgate and the national team, why can't this model work for us?

We keep hearing about the promising youth team we have, that door has well and truly been blown open now to progress upwards. JD will know who can make it, coupled with some really strong additons in the transfer window it really could work.

JD has my full backing.

Good post

Because Southgate doesn't have to sign players.

Will the right type of players want to come with a rookie manager in charge ?

I think who comes in as JD's assistant will define our season. We will need someone who knows the league and has contacts.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Amberheart wrote:

JD has my full backing.

Good post

Because Southgate doesn't have to sign players.

Will the right type of players want to come with a rookie manager in charge ?

I think who comes in as JD's assistant will define our season. We will need someone who knows the league and has contacts.

Surely this is the responsibility of the Director of Football? Is Greg Abbott still there?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum