{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 04, 2019 9:50 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 pm

do you think we can do it Martin?

we don't look anything like the team we were earlier in the season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

do you think we can do it Martin?

we don't look anything like the team we were earlier in the season

There's a whole paragraph on that in my report Bobby.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 pm

The 1st half we had no composure and looked like our players had never played together!!!

2nd half we played, in spells, our more normal passing game, with added hoof, but created very few chances.

Disappointing, but we didn't lose promotion today, we lost it at the bottom 6 teams away from home,
4 points from a possible 18.
Crawley........0-0
Port Vale......1-2
Cambridge...1-1
Macclesfield..1-1
Notts Co......0-1
Yeovil..........2-2

However, promotion is still there if the players want it enough.

Que sera sera whatever will be, will be we're going to Wembley!

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 05, 2019 6:46 am

KirkbyStag2 wrote:The 1st half we had no composure and looked like our players had never played together!!!

2nd half we played, in spells, our more normal passing game, with added hoof, but created very few chances.

Disappointing, but we didn't lose promotion today, we lost it at the bottom 6 teams away from home,
4 points from a possible 18.
Crawley........0-0
Port Vale......1-2
Cambridge...1-1
Macclesfield..1-1
Notts Co......0-1
Yeovil..........2-2

However, promotion is still there if the players want it enough.

Que sera sera whatever will be, will be we're going to Wembley!

:coys:

Added to Yeovil at home :oops: these are the sort of results we've suffered too many of to deserve an automatic spot imo.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 am

I woke up this morning and the first thought on my mind was still trying to work out why Flitcroft started Macca at RWB - I just can not comprehend how a man who’s paid to manage a professional football team thought that was a good idea.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:13 am

Conker wrote:I woke up this morning and the first thought on my mind was still trying to work out why Flitcroft started Macca at RWB - I just can not comprehend how a man who’s paid to manage a professional football team thought that was a good idea.

I agree. Didn't seem to know what to do.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 am

Conker wrote:I woke up this morning and the first thought on my mind was still trying to work out why Flitcroft started Macca at RWB - I just can not comprehend how a man who’s paid to manage a professional football team thought that was a good idea.

It was a strange one, but he keeps playing Jones there and subbing him off nearly every game for Rose. He was trying to do something different probably, but I would've stuck with Jones personally.

In hindsight Macca should've played in midfield ahead of the poor Tomlinson
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun May 05, 2019 8:39 am

Tomlinson been brilliant every time I have seen him, unfortunately the bad game came at the worst time!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 05, 2019 8:43 am

Tomlinson was rubbish in the last 2 games as was Bishop. Bishop looks to slow for me now. Out thought and bullied yesterday. If we lose in the playoffs a clean sweep is required imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 am

Conker wrote:Tomlinson been brilliant every time I have seen him, unfortunately the bad game came at the worst time!

he has been good but against Stevenage and mk he wasnt. it will be interesting to see who he plays against newport
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Sun May 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Can anyone remember the last time we lost three league games in a row? I’m struggling...
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 05, 2019 12:57 pm

TBS wrote:Can anyone remember the last time we lost three league games in a row? I’m struggling...

Last season when DF took over think we lost 4 in a row.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm

A couple of interesting stats I read last night which speak volumes on our performance yesterday.
Yesterday’s game was MK Don’s first clean sheet since the beginning of March (and that never looked like being seriously threatened at any stage of the match) and MK Don’s striking partnership (I forget their names) have 37 goals between them.
While not taking anything away from Tyler’s contribution this season, he’s basically had to do it on his own. (And I know assists are credited now.) Since the mid-50s when I started supporting the Stags our really successful seasons have been built on a striking partnership:
Wagstaff-Chapman, Clarke-Eccles, Moss-Randall.....even Green-Reid (although Reidy didn’t score so many, he certainly had plenty of assists.) If we look at our recent history, since JR became really serious, it’s forwards we’ve lacked. Neither AM nor the fat Scotsman signed any of any calibre, and although DF loaned a good ‘un, he’s had to play without support. How many goals do you think he’d have scored at the side of Reidy in his pomp? Perhaps the loss of Davis has been as detrimental to our season as the loss of White.
Whoever is in charge next season, whichever division we’re playing in, I hope JR impresses on the manager the absolute necessity of having 2 top forwards with one more-than-1-competent
back-up.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Suttonian » Sun May 05, 2019 1:11 pm

cerfjaune wrote:A couple of interesting stats I read last night which speak volumes on our performance yesterday.
Yesterday’s game was MK Don’s first clean sheet since the beginning of March (and that never looked like being seriously threatened at any stage of the match) and MK Don’s striking partnership (I forget their names) have 37 goals between them.
While not taking anything away from Tyler’s contribution this season, he’s basically had to do it on his own. (And I know assists are credited now.) Since the mid-50s when I started supporting the Stags our really successful seasons have been built on a striking partnership:
Wagstaff-Chapman, Clarke-Eccles, Moss-Randall.....even Green-Reid (although Reidy didn’t score so many, he certainly had plenty of assists.) If we look at our recent history, since JR became really serious, it’s forwards we’ve lacked. Neither AM nor the fat Scotsman signed any of any calibre, and although DF loaned a good ‘un, he’s had to play without support. How many goals do you think he’d have scored at the side of Reidy in his pomp? Perhaps the loss of Davis has been as detrimental to our season as the loss of White.
Whoever is in charge next season, whichever division we’re playing in, I hope JR impresses on the manager the absolute necessity of having 2 top forwards with one more-than-1-competent
back-up.

During pre season JR insisted we had too many forwards and had to get some off the wage bill
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Sun May 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Suttonian wrote:
cerfjaune wrote:A couple of interesting stats I read last night which speak volumes on our performance yesterday.
back-up.

During pre season JR insisted we had too many forwards and had to get some off the wage bill

Maybe we should have kept Lee Angol and sold Danny Rose.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Sun May 05, 2019 2:12 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

It was a strange one, but he keeps playing Jones there and subbing him off nearly every game for Rose. He was trying to do something different probably, but I would've stuck with Jones personally.

Atkinson has played RWB on several occasions and done reasonably well there, he even scored against Cheltenham from that position, surely that would have been a better option than Macca, I felt sorry for Macca yesterday, he looked totally confused and lost in that position. Just what was Flitcroft thinking when he made that call.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Sun May 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Hitchcocks size 10s wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Atkinson has played RWB on several occasions and done reasonably well there, he even scored against Cheltenham from that position, surely that would have been a better option than Macca, I felt sorry for Macca yesterday, he looked totally confused and lost in that position. Just what was Flitcroft thinking when he made that call.

Was he thinking 'I'll show all my doubters what a football genius I am'?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 pm

amendment to my report:

The attendance of 20,718 was the biggest for a Stags league game home or away for over 40 years since the only season the Stags have had in the second tier of English football, when there were two higher attendances: Tottenham away 36,288 (27 Dec 1977) and Brighton away 22,647 (21 Jan 1978).
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ST4GS » Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:amendment to my report:

The attendance of 20,718 was the biggest for a Stags league game home or away for over 40 years since the only season the Stags have had in the second tier of English football, when there were two higher attendances: Tottenham away 36,288 (27 Dec 1977) and Brighton away 22,647 (21 Jan 1978).
MK
Dons!!!. In the last 40 years the biggest league crowd we have been involved in is v MK Dons!!!. In this time we have had games v Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Stoke, Sunderland, Hull. Huddersfield, WBA , Wolves, QPR, Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea, Coventry, Fulham, Bolton ,Portsmouth, Preston, Middlesbrough, Bristol City etc
MK Dons trumps them all.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 05, 2019 9:42 pm

What was MK Dons average home crowd until yesterday?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 am

Martin Shaw wrote:amendment to my report:

Was at both of those matches.

According to my records, think i've been to Stags last ten competitive fixtures where the attendance was over 20,000.

02-04-77 at Brighton 22,954
14-05-77 at Wrexham 22,000 (est,)
27-12-77 at Tottenham 36,288
21-01-78 at Brighton 22,647
07-02-78 at Bolton 23,830
24-05-87 at Wembley 58,586
31-05-04 at Millenium 37,298
07-01-06 at Newcastle 41,456
07-05-11 at Wembley 24.668
04-05-11 at MK Dons 20,718
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team