{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft out

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 07, 2019 2:10 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:I would definitely replace him before the playoffs after seeing the last 3 games with a return of 0 points and how the team has under performed. But it looks like he will be here for the playoffs.

The big question is if by some miracle we do go up do we still part company with flop or is all forgotten.

Please discuss

I asked that question further up the thread about 6 hours ago but none of the 'flitcroft out' gang seem to want to comment !!

I'll comment, I don't think he's good enough for league 1 with an even larger budget.
He's had one promotion from league 2 in his career and NOTHING anywhere else.
Not good enough, not tactically astute enough, no plan B (or A come to that).
I'll support him through the play-offs but after that not for me.
:mtfc:

and Stevie Evans kept coming out with the '9' promotion bullocks but didn't get promoted with either Mansfield or Peterborough.

How can you know he's not good enough for league one if you've never seen him manage there?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 07, 2019 2:30 pm

I honestly think this team would have done better playing in league 1 this season. The problem is we are in league 2 and there just isn't enough muscle and strength down the spine of the team.

That is what is required at this level and we all knew back in August we were lightweight up front. We did go through a phase when I thought we had overcome this but we've just faded away since February.

Hand on heart does anyone really think if we had played at the current standard for the full season that we would even have made the play offs? I don't think we would and questions about the manager's future wouldn't have gone on this long.

Nice as the bloke is, his team hasn't performed to the required standard for a large part of the season. I don't know if he can recover that next year or not but if we don't escape this league, I think he should go. If we get up he should stay, not because of the promotion but because league 1 will better suite the style of play. Repeating mistakes in league 2 won't get us up next year either.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 07, 2019 2:37 pm

I think lots of folk are over analysing it. We just didn’t play enough good football in the last 3 games. Forget the other games, we should have won at least one of those games, if we turned up. This team wouldn’t do better in league 1. We would get mullered imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I honestly think this team would have done better playing in league 1 this season. The problem is we are in league 2 and there just isn't enough muscle and strength down the spine of the team.

That is what is required at this level and we all knew back in August we were lightweight up front. We did go through a phase when I thought we had overcome this but we've just faded away since February.

Hand on heart does anyone really think if we had played at the current standard for the full season that we would even have made the play offs? I don't think we would and questions about the manager's future wouldn't have gone on this long.

Nice as the bloke is, his team hasn't performed to the required standard for a large part of the season. I don't know if he can recover that next year or not but if we don't escape this league, I think he should go. If we get up he should stay, not because of the promotion but because league 1 will better suite the style of play. Repeating mistakes in league 2 won't get us up next year either.

Long ball to walker?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I think lots of folk are over analysing it. We just didn’t play enough good football in the last 3 games. Forget the other games, we should have won at least one of those games, if we turned up. This team wouldn’t do better in league 1. We would get mullered imo.

It's not just the last three games though and if you look at who the seasons defeats were against they are mainly against teams from the bottom half of the league all of whom play with strength as their main assets..

I will clarify that I am talking about style as opposed to team. The defence is fine and obviously did well in league 2. When you get to midfield and forwards they are mostly too lightweight and don't fare well against teams who press hard. That type of play isn't as prevalent in league 1 so you can afford more of the luxury type players. Obviously as you climb you need players with higher skill levels as it is skill that is more important as opposed to strength and effort. Mr Flitcroft's style would bring rewards in league 1 but I'm not sure he can get us there as he doesn't seem to want players who are robust and can push back.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue May 07, 2019 3:10 pm

The turn in form coincided with the turn of the year.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:00 pm

adamstag wrote:The turn in form coincided with the turn of the year.

Form for the last 23 games has us 10th in the league. (34 pts) 1.48 points per game not even good enough for play-offs.

Possibly a surprise but Crewe where the form club over the last 23 games tied with Bury on 40 pts.

First half of the season we were 3rd possibly 2nd given timings of games and we had a game in hand over second. (42 pts) 1.83 points per game.

Its clear that the league became tighter in the second half of the season which will have been impacted by the transfer window. Unfortunately the window weakened us despite at the time thinking the signings where fantastic.

For me the biggest loss we incurred was when Frank Nouble (ironically ex.Newport) decided to smash Hayden Whites ankle into smithereens. A key moment after what had been the best comeback of the season.

The stats back it up.

Form before Haydens injury.
28 51 - 1.82 points per game

Form after Haydens injury.
18 25 - 1.39 points per game (Form which drops us to 14th in the league).

It makes worrying reading.....is Hayden fit for Thursday?!? :think:
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
adamstag wrote:The turn in form coincided with the turn of the year.

Form for the last 23 games has us 10th in the league. (34 pts) 1.48 points per game not even good enough for play-offs.

Possibly a surprise but Crewe where the form club over the last 23 games tied with Bury on 40 pts.

First half of the season we were 3rd possibly 2nd given timings of games and we had a game in hand over second. (42 pts) 1.83 points per game.

Its clear that the league became tighter in the second half of the season which will have been impacted by the transfer window. Unfortunately the window weakened us despite at the time thinking the signings where fantastic.

For me the biggest loss we incurred was when Frank Nouble (ironically ex.Newport) decided to smash Hayden Whites ankle into smithereens. A key moment after what had been the best comeback of the season.

The stats back it up.

Form before Haydens injury.
28 51 - 1.82 points per game

Form after Haydens injury.
18 25 - 1.39 points per game (Form which drops us to 14th in the league).

It makes worrying reading.....is Hayden fit for Thursday?!? :think:

bang on. I think we'd have been promoted without the injuries to White and Olejnik. Hayden was a key player in this system and its just not the same with Jones/Macca/Hamilton/Atkinson and RWB.

On a side note some friends saw Hayden walking around the ground on Saturday, surely he can play if he can walk :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue May 07, 2019 7:23 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:I would definitely replace him before the playoffs after seeing the last 3 games with a return of 0 points and how the team has under performed. But it looks like he will be here for the playoffs.

The big question is if by some miracle we do go up do we still part company with flop or is all forgotten.

Please discuss

I asked that question further up the thread about 6 hours ago but none of the 'flitcroft out' gang seem to want to comment !!

I'll comment, I don't think he's good enough for league 1 with an even larger budget.
He's had one promotion from league 2 in his career and NOTHING anywhere else.
Not good enough, not tactically astute enough, no plan B (or A come to that).
I'll support him through the play-offs but after that not for me.
:mtfc:

The thing is its not about supporting him ,or whoever its about supporting the team ,JR will make the decision as he sees fit ,so if he decides DF is the man surely you have to support him
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum