{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Granty - Murray's second coming

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Granty - Murray's second coming

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Granty is this generations Adam Murray.

Last time we got to L1, a young Adam Murray came in on loan and got us over the line.

It's like watching history repeat it's self.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Re: Granty - Murray's second coming

Postby geoffhill » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Grant is better than Murray imo.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Grant is a magician, not since Liam have i had the pleasure of watching a player find time on the ball when there is none in a Stags shirt.

absolute baller
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Plays a lot like Liam Lawrence.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:20 pm

A lot of this time reminds me of those seasons and it’s a pleasure to be a part of. Now, have the quality to score goals out of nothing. If we had that in the first 3 months of the season we would be clear at the top
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kenwood » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 pm

He was better second half, at times first half he left Bish with too much to do, as did Melis.

You have to earn the right to do all the fancy offensive stuff, second half we did that and forced them into mistakes
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 pm

geoffhill wrote:Grant is better than Murray imo.

Murray MK1 got us over the line in 02, like Grant might. That's the comparison. Not the 2012 Murray.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:34 pm

I liked both versions of Murray, one got us over the line with class, the other led by example
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Not a mellis fan. I will be very suprised if he is here next season if we achieve promotion.

Grant is cut from a different cloth to mellis. Exceptional player at league 2.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 pm

tibby wrote:Not a mellis fan. I will be very suprised if he is here next season if we achieve promotion.

Erm what? Mellis is brilliant and has been red hot the past two months. A player that was always dubbed as lazy in the past, but he works his socks off now and works perfectly alongside Bish.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Mellis is great. Overshadowed by Bish and Grant who are insanely good. Also people forget just how good Murray was for us. At his best he would be in this team!!! Twice he dragged us up.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Grant is better
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:20 am

Stag95 wrote:
tibby wrote:Not a mellis fan. I will be very suprised if he is here next season if we achieve promotion.

Erm what? Mellis is brilliant and has been red hot the past two months. A player that was always dubbed as lazy in the past, but he works his socks off now and works perfectly alongside Bish.

Mellis has improved since Grant has been in the side. Grant is pure class for this league
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 am

yellowstagsfan wrote:
Stag95 wrote:

Mellis has improved since Grant has been in the side. Grant is pure class for this league

I disagree. Mellis was in great form prior to Grant arriving. Having Grant in the side seems to have overshadowed Mellis a bit and he's gone off the boil again. He was running games a few weeks back, now a bit quieter.

Maybe hes having to do a slightly different role. Grant isn't really one for getting stuck in or racing back - which is fine, but maybe that's effected Mellis.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:39 am

Grant’s come in and had a great impact, like many have said his style reminds my more of Lawrence but I can see the comparison with Muzza MK1.

Mellis is being asked to do a different role and doing a decent job, it’s less high profile and more of a team role and is doing a decent job, he’s less visible with Grant here but that’s fine with Grant delivering in my opinion.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 am

Jimstag wrote:Grant’s come in and had a great impact, like many have said his style reminds my more of Lawrence but I can see the comparison with Muzza MK1.

Mellis is being asked to do a different role and doing a decent job, it’s less high profile and more of a team role and is doing a decent job, he’s less visible with Grant here but that’s fine with Grant delivering in my opinion.

Grant is obviously a good player but a couple of small things he could change to improve, in my opinion.

Firstly, he tries to hard trying to find Walker even when there are better options.
Secondly he can overplay it at times.

Just my observations, good players create things others don't expect, I wouldn't want him to stop trying something different even if it seems like he is over playing it but there times when it is obvious to do the simple things - fine lines.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:58 am

Fine lines indeed. Only Mayor at Bury and possibly Smodicz are in the same league as Grant imo. If those I’ve seen much of I add.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 am

You can't compare Murray and Grant . Different kind of players imo
If I had to chose someone I'd chose Murray everyday of the week . We have had Grant for . a few weeks . Yes he's been quality but when he's been as consistent as Murray season after season then I'd have a rethink . Murray was excellent going forward but also a battler in midfield excellent tackler . He was a born leader , amber and blue running through his veins
Grant is more of a Lawrence kind of player . Sometimes we get caught with the emotions of the preset and forget some of the past

Regarding Mellis . The guy i's quality . We need to keep him next season .
Last edited by tmwilson on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am

Grants control and weight of pass are rarely seen at this level. He seems to have more time on the ball than everyone else.

Mellis has moved from number ten to eight, lost his free role and is now play making from deep. He still carries the ball better than any other player and his combination play is excellent. Keep saying it but against the top sides I don’t think Mellis and Grant can both play. As good as Grant is going forward, he doesn’t help Bish and Mellis out as much as Mellis did when he played ten.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:04 am

I can now understand why county did so well when he was in thier team.

Truly a cut above and I doubt we will get the chance to sign him.

Our midfield is the difference between a play off team and an automatic one.

Every game is huge but the county game for me could well define both teams final push for either safety or going up as possible champions.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 am

stag324 wrote:I can now understand why county did so well when he was in thier team.

Truly a cut above and I doubt we will get the chance to sign him.

Our midfield is the difference between a play off team and an automatic one.

Every game is huge but the county game for me could well define both teams final push for either safety or going up as possible champions.

Find it hilarious that County fans still slating him saying that 'he's good when you're playing well but as soon as it goes raspberries he doesn't perform'. Ever thought that he was dragging that crap team as much as he could?
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:03 pm

If they were honest most Clownty fans'd give their left testicle to have him back.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:13 pm

He’s ridiculously good on the ball, it’s a bit daft he’s playing at this level really.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum