{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sweeney's Permanent Move

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sweeney's Permanent Move

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:02 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Paul M was a great player. I remember him having an issue with his shoulder dislocating but he was the unsung hero of that side.

Paul was indeed a svelte player who brought visible quality to the Stags sides he played in.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Wilfred wrote:
robeyre wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Some of the older fans will remember Paul Matthews who was in the sides that won two promotions in the seventies.Paul's grandson who is nearly seventeen has signed for the stags on a two year deal.His name is Ethan Hill.He played in trial matches with nine league clubs but chose us.He is a central midfielder and was released by Forest.He was offered terms with Lincoln.Glad he didn't go there.

Ill be watching this lad closely. If ge turns out as classy a footballer as his grandfather he'll be well worth a look.
A proper creative midfielder and much tougher than he looked

Totally agree Rob. And Paul Matthews perception and reading of a game was sublime.

Sandy Pate thinks Paul Matthews is the most underrated player in Stags history.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:42 pm

I’ve been watching Stags since the mid-50s and the only better midfielder I’ve seen in the amber shirt was Gordon Hodgson. And I am including Peter Morris and Paul Holland in my estimation. (And before anyone comments, I do accept Paul Matthews was a different type of midfielder from PM and PH.)
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Anyways back on top of brilliant signing. Could make us a good profit, in a couple of years.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Agree with all about how excellent Paul Mathews was, and Sweeney could very well develop into a top class central defender, and we have had more than out fair share of those in the past.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Matthews was terrific, very under-rated though I guess in part that was down to how brilliant Hodgson was. For me, Paul Holland just had that bit more. Can you imagine a midfield of Holland, Hodgson and Bishop ..... blimey!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

I’m not sure who signed Paul Matthews but I recall he started off on the right wing.
It didn’t work for him there but he became a rolls Royce midfielder, a brilliant reader of the game who did things with a touch of class and never seemed to be hurried, he was a massive part of our success back then.
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Anyway - back to Sweeney. A really good signing of a talented player who will continue to improve.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum