{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Away facilities

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Away facilities

Postby stag861 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:04 am

After getting very, very cold and very, very wet at FGR I wonder why so many clubs do not care about visiting supporters. When we first visited FGR we had a covered stand behind one goal and those wanting to sit in the main stand. Now it's down one side with hardly any cover from the elements. You can understand old grounds like Macclesfield and Morecambe to name two being rubbish, while Exeter as part of their ground improvement have covered the away standing area.
With all the money floating around the hierarchy of football from tv stations, surely it's a simple procedure to give grants to cover open areas.
At Mansfield we have a great facility for visiting fans (although Clownty fans complain every time they get beat).
Perhaps the EFL should insist that visiting fans have covered seating and standing then clubs will do something when their fans complain of being very,very cold and very, very wet.
John, Carolyn perhaps this should be raised at the EFL meetings.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Away facilities

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:45 am

Away fans should be afforded the same facilities or the price should be reduced.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:49 am

Regarding FGR yesterday, the weather was awful, but the facilities are awful whatever the weather. Last season it was cold and dry but their away marquee was under three inches of water. The seats were in the water and only when asked did the stewards move them to the drier area. Poor performance towards the away fans. All the stewards were soaking wet also.

The covered area is a falsehood as it is no more than a gantry. I would have had an extra waterproof layer if I had known the cover was so inept.
Why is it that every time we arrive in the coach that the stewards look as if we are the first coach to arrive in the history of transport. Swindon away last season the stewards allowed us to drive a coach into a cul de sac, let's see some help and support for the drivers.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chris M » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Regarding FGR yesterday, the weather was awful, but the facilities are awful whatever the weather. Last season it was cold and dry but their away marquee was under three inches of water. The seats were in the water and only when asked did the stewards move them to the drier area. Poor performance towards the away fans. All the stewards were soaking wet also.

The covered area is a falsehood as it is no more than a gantry. I would have had an extra waterproof layer if I had known the cover was so inept.
Why is it that every time we arrive in the coach that the stewards look as if we are the first coach to arrive in the history of transport. Swindon away last season the stewards allowed us to drive a coach into a cul de sac, let's see some help and support for the drivers.

I have said that so many times. The last thing that a football club expects is a coach full of visiting supporters to turn up! Trips to Swindon, Yeovil and Wimbledon have left me wondering why I bother. That coupled with body searchers, overpriced food and a general feeling of being unwelcome has made me question why I would want to spend money at any ground but Field Mill.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Awful away facilities it had two tiers like our old West stand with terracing pitch side and seating behind, just the terrace was 2 steps and the seating was 2 rows, it was a tinpot temporary stand and the roof didn't work...

However their 'main stand' should be the blueprint for our new Bishop Street.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:02 pm

The facilities at Forest Green are a disgrace. I remember that tent from last year, it was soaking in there, the benches were marooned in water and as Berry Hill says we had to ask the stewards to move them out of the flooded areas. This is the reason I did not travel down this year as the away fans and there were a lot of us, were crammed on a small terrace open to the elements. You cannot treat people like this and Forest Green need to take a long, hard look at themselves in terms of customer service.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Chris M wrote:
Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Regarding FGR yesterday, the weather was awful, but the facilities are awful whatever the weather. Last season it was cold and dry but their away marquee was under three inches of water. The seats were in the water and only when asked did the stewards move them to the drier area. Poor performance towards the away fans. All the stewards were soaking wet also.

I have said that so many times. The last thing that a football club expects is a coach full of visiting supporters to turn up! Trips to Swindon, Yeovil and Wimbledon have left me wondering why I bother. That coupled with body searchers, overpriced food and a general feeling of being unwelcome has made me question why I would want to spend money at any ground but Field Mill.

Though we are treated like second rate citizens at away games, great strides have been made in the last twenty years. Previously at away games we used to be herded like cattle and generally treated like dirt. Can anyone remember being herded down the alley at Rotherham only to be subject to the usual home v away fans battle on the street at the top???
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Terrible facilities at Forest Green. That tent behind the stand for away fans before the game is beyond a joke, particularly with the only other options for a pre match drink being down in Nailsworth. Luckily we opted for that being there early enough instead of being stood in that tent freezing cold and wet.

Secondly, that stand is comfortably the worst in the football league. How they can charge extra for ‘covered standing’ I don’t know, it’s a complete con as everybody standing under that roof was completely soaked.

The whole facility for away fans is not fit for purpose, don’t know how they cope when teams take big followings. If you’re a non league club coming up you should be given a years grace to get the ground up to scratch.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm

After nearly being crushed last season at County and Chesterfield, I will never go to an away game again!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:34 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Though we are treated like second rate citizens at away games, great strides have been made in the last twenty years. Previously at away games we used to be herded like cattle and generally treated like dirt. Can anyone remember being herded down the alley at Rotherham only to be subject to the usual home v away fans battle on the street at the top???

They didn’t wait until we got to the top. Used to chuck things at us from the scrap yard above the alley while we were held in by police horses.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby sunray » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:31 pm

The "water" overflowing into your shoes in Accrington's toilets, stones in snowballs at Macclesfield and the alleyways at Luton and Rotherham - those were the days.

Who will attend the presumably Tuesday night rematch at FGR when it will be on Ifollow.

Thanks to Haslam the away facilities at Field Mill are up there with the best in league
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bros » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 pm

I hope JR has a word with their chairman and complain about the awful situation we were subjected to yesterday
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:51 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Yes and the lovely glass shards set in conconcrete on top of the surrounding walls. Nice. For me this WAS the derby with the hatred AFTER games against the dippers. Guarenteed a toxic atmostphere after the miners strike. The only good thing about visiting that craphole was the quality meat and potato pies.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The Source » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:32 pm

BEHOLD

I just press the button, You provide the face
The Source
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 pm

PRL13 wrote:After nearly being crushed last season at County and Chesterfield, I will never go to an away game again!

Funny that, waited under the stands on the concourse until everybody had dispersed, your just looking for excuses youth
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:57 pm

HU7stag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Yes and the lovely glass shards set in conconcrete on top of the surrounding walls. Nice. For me this WAS the derby with the hatred AFTER games against the dippers. Guarenteed a toxic atmostphere after the miners strike. The only good thing about visiting that craphole was the quality meat and potato pies.

You didn't have to wait until the end of the game at Rotherham... Can remember numerous times pint pots flying out the doors of that pub right on the corner at the top of the alleyway. We used to drink in the Queens head or something like that then we used to run the gauntlet passing that pub. . Happy days
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:51 pm

stag861 wrote:After getting very, very cold and very, very wet at FGR I wonder why so many clubs do not care about visiting supporters. When we first visited FGR we had a covered stand behind one goal and those wanting to sit in the main stand. Now it's down one side with hardly any cover from the elements. You can understand old grounds like Macclesfield and Morecambe to name two being rubbish, while Exeter as part of their ground improvement have covered the away standing area.
With all the money floating around the hierarchy of football from tv stations, surely it's a simple procedure to give grants to cover open areas.
At Mansfield we have a great facility for visiting fans (although Clownty fans complain every time they get beat).
Perhaps the EFL should insist that visiting fans have covered seating and standing then clubs will do something when their fans complain of being very,very cold and very, very wet.
John, Carolyn perhaps this should be raised at the EFL meetings.

Nowt wrong with Morecambe. :?
Last two seasons I've been it was a good view in a good stand.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Chris M wrote:

They didn’t wait until we got to the top. Used to chuck things at us from the scrap yard above the alley while we were held in by police horses.

Remember it well. I was near the police and they were goading the Stags fans, trying to get trouble to erupt. The holding in the alley was to get everyone wound up.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:36 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Terrible facilities at Forest Green. That tent behind the stand for away fans before the game is beyond a joke, particularly with the only other options for a pre match drink being down in Nailsworth. Luckily we opted for that being there early enough instead of being stood in that tent freezing cold and wet.

Secondly, that stand is comfortably the worst in the football league. How they can charge extra for ‘covered standing’ I don’t know, it’s a complete con as everybody standing under that roof was completely soaked.

The whole facility for away fans is not fit for purpose, don’t know how they cope when teams take big followings. If you’re a non league club coming up you should be given a years grace to get the ground up to scratch.

We paid extra for covered seating, but the seats were wet through when we arrived and the roof didn’t keep us totally dry. Wouldn’t be bothered if I never went to FGR ever again.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Hon Sec wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Terrible facilities at Forest Green. That tent behind the stand for away fans before the game is beyond a joke, particularly with the only other options for a pre match drink being down in Nailsworth. Luckily we opted for that being there early enough instead of being stood in that tent freezing cold and wet.

We paid extra for covered seating, but the seats were wet through when we arrived and the roof didn’t keep us totally dry. Wouldn’t be bothered if I never went to FGR ever again.

Has anyone blamed Conrad Logan yet ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:06 pm

No refunds on Saturdays tickets either
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Hon Sec wrote:

Has anyone blamed Conrad Logan yet ?

:lol: :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 am

FGR must have been aware that the game was going to be called off as a few stewards appeared by us before half time. One had "Stadium Manager" or equivalent on the back of his Hi-vis.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:53 pm

PRL13 wrote:After nearly being crushed last season at County and Chesterfield, I will never go to an away game again!

Wow.

What an excuse
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:

Wow.

What an excuse

Although this is a little dramatic, he does have point. I was in amongst the crowds in the stand because people didn't want to move and get their seats. It could have gone very wrong very quickly.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum