{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Craig Davies/ Matt Green/Lawrence Shankland

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Craig Davies / Matt Green

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:22 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Green is NOT better than Walker!!! Amazed folk think he is. What backs those thoughts up? I still love Matt and would have him back if we have room for him but otherwise maybe we should aim a little higher.

His goal against Hereford....although it was 5 years ago. (Time flies)

That's the problem though a younger Matt Green would be a quality signing, but we need to be aiming higher than Lincoln's cast off's no matter the sentimental attachment to a MTFC legend.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:47 pm

He’s 32 next month and not currently a regular starter, I’d hope we could do better
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Can’t we have a thread about Sharon Davies rather than these two strikers. She would look much better covered in etc, etc

:lol: :roll:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Green is NOT better than Walker!!! Amazed folk think he is. What backs those thoughts up? I still love Matt and would have him back if we have room for him but otherwise maybe we should aim a little higher.

That's the problem though a younger Matt Green would be a quality signing, but we need to be aiming higher than Lincoln's cast off's no matter the sentimental attachment to a MTFC legend.

That’s the problem. That’s in the past.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Walker has had a flurry of goals and dried up, he has a lot to prove still, not one for tracking back, pressing or anticipating anything.

Greeny has a proven track record he can do all those things, granted Walker has potential.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:52 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:

That’s the problem. That’s in the past.

That was my point....many are sentimentally attached to the past and what Matt did for us but we need to look forward.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 pm

pemill wrote:

Walker has had a flurry of goals and dried up, he has a lot to prove still, not one for tracking back, pressing or anticipating anything.

Greeny has a proven track record he can do all those things, granted Walker has potential.

What about trying to get Greenacre back from NZ? He had a great record a few years ago as well. Only a bit older than Green?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Re: Davies

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:30 am

mousemousemouse wrote:I think Green not playing at Imps is down to their style of play, as opposed to Greens ability.

He wants more game time and appearances and I doubt that would change if he came here. I think we would be asking about both, it's not mutually exclusive

But the Eisa rumour is an interesting one. The three times sniffing around him will be Us, Lincoln and I feel MK dons.

If he goes to Lincoln, they'll be unstoppable but I think we play football more suited to his style. Financially, we can outbid anyone in this league but if it's a loan then our main selling point is style of play. We can get Eisa playing good football and send him back to Bristol full of confidence

More likely Forest Green than us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 am

pemill wrote:

Davies has a proven track record, but the past is the past.

We need someone better than Davies and Green if we are to progress.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:29 am

Not sure why such a debate, I wish people will take their rose tinted glasses off!

He probably will do well at Salford because he's a good non league striker and an average league 2 striker, his stats back this up.

If this was anyone else but Matt Green with his goals to games ratio since returning to us, people would DEFINITELY be asking the club to sign better, his wages for one would be far too high for what you get in return.

And for all those people who said Lincolns style doesn't suit him.... what are you guys on?

He was most successful under Paul Cox and what was his style? Pretty similar to Lincolns but people have very selective memories.

We can sign better and would have been disappointed had we signed him.
Alwaysa5tag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:13 am

Let’s move on from Matt Green. Stags legend but the past is the past. Had the Scottish turd not been employed here then Greeny would probably have still been here enjoying the latter stages of his career playing football that suited his style instead of being used as a lone striker as he was last off. Thanks fo the memories Matt but we move on to bigger and better times
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:27 am

Would Matt Green not be a good signing on the right terms?

He could help us get over the line, it's either someone like Matt or a big money purchase?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 am

If the right terms were low wages and acceptance that he's a backup then yes he might be worth bringing back as cover. Neither of those are going to be acceptable to him though, I assume.

CJ must keep playing up front, we then have Rose, Walker and the young lad. We don't need another like Green. We need something different like a proper big man. I'd be looking lower down the leagues for the next Matt Rhead. Someone looking to make a step up who will accept limited game time but be a proper, header winning, big man.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 am

Main reason Green does not start for Lincoln.Akinde.I would have him back.He still has pace and would score goals for us.Prefer him to Rose.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:04 am

Salford will be a good move for Green. I think his injury at Birmingham took an edge off him somewhere along the line but still a good player and I think he now contributes more than goals as he’s not always the out and out striker at Lincoln.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 pm

oldweststander wrote:Would Matt Green not be a good signing on the right terms?

He could help us get over the line, it's either someone like Matt or a big money purchase?
Matt Green was a great striker for us, but things have changed, and we need to take off our rose coloured specs as far as he is concerned.

As another poster has said, if we were signing a back up striker from Lincoln to get us over the line, most fans wouldn't be impressed.

We need to be pro active like Lincoln and try and sign Eisa or someone of his ability.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
pemill wrote:

Not seen enough of Davies so I find that conclusion strange.

Jump to a decision to early with a manager? Heaven forbid, but a player it’s fair game apperantly :P
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
pemill wrote:

Jump to a decision to early with a manager? Heaven forbid, but a player it’s fair game apperantly :P

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make Conker ?

But look at Davies record with his previous clubs (in particular our none league neighbors) and you will see Davies has scored goals at a higher level.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
pemill wrote:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make Conker ?

But look at Davies record with his previous clubs (in particular our none league neighbors) and you will see Davies has scored goals at a higher level.

So just to be clear Amber Andy, we are both clearly aware of the double standards regarding how it’s not fair to judge a manager over half a season but it is a player BUT the important question is - do you think Davies is good enough or not?
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:03 pm

The point I'm making is like Green, Davies has been a good player and goalscorer in the past, but I don't think he is now good enough to take us to the next level.

What that has got to do with judging our manager escapes me.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm

I’d like to see Matt Greens proven league goal scoring record. Has he done anything higher than league 2?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm

If we can get Matt Green from our promotion season then definitely. As it happens he's not getting a game for our promotion rivals and if he came here I would suspect he'd be in the same position. CJ did fine in striker role. I'd be looking for a striker who is good in the air because we have the exact same problem as last season, we get all these set pieces but do naff all with them.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:33 pm

No. He’s in our past. Move on.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Amber Andy wrote:The point I'm making is like Green, Davies has been a good player and goalscorer in the past, but I don't think he is now good enough to take us to the next level.

What that has got to do with judging our manager escapes me.

The point is you’ve made that judgement very harshly because you have barely seen him play and he’s only been at the club since the summer.

You need to show him the patience you did Flitcroft, give him a chance.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:If we can get Matt Green from our promotion season then definitely. As it happens he's not getting a game for our promotion rivals and if he came here I would suspect he'd be in the same position. CJ did fine in striker role. I'd be looking for a striker who is good in the air because we have the exact same problem as last season, we get all these set pieces but do naff all with them.

Yep. That's why I mentioned Greenacre - if it's possible to roll back Matt Green to how he was all those years ago, Greenacre is only a short step further...and yes, we rarely do much with set pieces. If they practice them in training, I don't know why they bother.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum