{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:52 pm

Carlisle United 3 Bolton Wanderers 3 (HT: 3-1)
Possession: 44:56%

Watched this game after the Stags. Carlisle will be kicking themselves for drawing this game. With 4 minutes to go Carlisle were 3-1 up and on top of League 2 and they should really have been been out of sight after squandering numerous chances. They had created around 15 goal scoring chances compared to two for Bolton. Josh Kayode wasted a great chance on 83 minutes when he could have put Jon Mellish clean through on goal but decided to have a go himself and blasted a shot over the bar. It all then went completely wrong in the last four minutes as a hopeless Bolton suddenly came to life and came baxk to draw the game after looking dead and buried. Both sides then hit the post in injury time.

Carlisle kicked off with the benefit of a strong wind and were 2-0 up after 7 minutes after disastrous defending by Bolton and particularly by centre half, Ricardo Santos. Firstly he pushed Lewis Alessandra over to concede a free kick 40 yards out. Matt Gilks in goal for Bolton then completely missed Callum Guy's free kick and allowed Aaron Hayden to nip in and head in the first goal. I think Alex John Baptiste was supposed to be marking Hayden. Santos then flattened Alessandra again on the edge of the area and Callum Guy squared the free kick to Alessandra for him to double the lead. Carlisle could then easily have been 5-0 up by 21 minutes. Omari Patrick's header was saved at the far post, Aaron Hayden headed over from a corner, Gilks saved a 30 yard shot from Patrick, Santos sliced a clearance over the bar and Josh Kayode blasted a shot over the bar from the edge of the area. Santos was having a nightmare and he then missed the ball completely and allowed Alessandra to run clean through on goal but he hit his shot over the bar. Ian Evatt was getting more and more frustrated and picked up a yellow card to chants of "Barrow Reject" from the home crowd. Carlisle finally made it 3-0 when Kayode picked up a second ball after a long punt down the pitch by Farman in goal. His pass forward was knocked into the path of Omari Patrick on the left by Baptiste and he calmly sidefooted the ball into the corner of the net. Bolton finally created their first chance on 44 minutes and scored. Peter Kioso was having some joy pushing up from right wing back and he crossed to the far post for the youngster, George Thomason to head home at the far post. This was after good work by Eoin Doyle who caught Joe Riley in possession. (HT: 3-1)

Bolton had the benefit of the wind in the second half and they switched from a back three to a back four after subbing Baptiste at half time and bringing on winger, Lloyd Isgrove. It was still Carlisle though who were the better side and who had further chances to score. Jon Mellish was clean through on goal and Kayode shot wide. Lewis Alessandra hit the bar from a Josh Kayode long throw and Joe Riley and Kayode both shot over the bar. Kayode then wasted a great chance to set up Mellish in the 83rd minute and 3 minutes later Doyle, Kioso and Isgrove worked the ball well on the right before Sarcevic crossed the ball for Delfouneso to tap home and make it 3-2. Two minutes later, Carlisle struggled to clear a Bolton corner and Peter Kioso headed in a Lloyd Isgrove cross from the left for the Bolton equaliser. Three goals from three attempts on goal for Bolton. George Thomason then had a great chance to win the game for Bolton in the 92nd minute but hit the post. Peter Kioso was sent off for a second yellow in the 94th minute and in the 95th minute a Carlisle corner fell to Mellish at the far post. He turned and shot but hit the post. It was a great game to watch as a neutral. Bolton eventually finished with a point after I was thinking that Ian Evatt could be sacked after their terrible first half performance when they were 3-0 down and all at sea.

Carlisle MOM: Omari Patrick and Lewis Alessandra
Bolton MOM: Peter Kioso and George Thomason.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:46 pm

First of all, I really like your posts. You and the fella from Sweden are the main reason I don't bother doing any opposition reviews, which I used to really enjoy ;-) I can't compete with the kind of stuff you two produce.

Can I ask, how do you get to watch so many games? Have you set up multiple ifollow accounts and email addresses?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Broomo - if you set up an ifollow account with other League 2 clubs you can watch the full replays of all their games from the day after the game. If you don't want to watch the full game then you can watch the extended 10 minute highlights. You just need to use a different email address for each club and you can just make up an email address. All your other details can be the same.

This is the advice that iFollow gave me when I complained that my existing Stags iFollow account would not let me pay to watch other League 2 games.

Some clubs are not members of iFollow e.g. Leyton Orient and Harrogate Town

During lockdown, I've been happy to watch two League 2 games on a Saturday and on a Tuesday as there have been staggered kick offs and it keeps me entertained. I also enjoy watching the opposition and looking for strengths and weaknesses; and seeing which players at other clubs are in form.

As said before, there is not much difference between most teams in League 2. The top sides are usually just a little better organised and consistent, have a better success rate for taking their chances and make fewer mistakes at the back. As Paul Cox used to say it's all about "fine margins in both boxes".
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks ttf enjoy your input, even got broomo scratching his head
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Broomo - if you set up an ifollow account with other League 2 clubs you can watch the full replays of all their games from the day after the game. If you don't want to watch the full game then you can watch the extended 10 minute highlights. You just need to use a different email address for each club and you can just make up an email address. All your other details can be the same.

This is the advice that iFollow gave me when I complained that my existing Stags iFollow account would not let me pay to watch other League 2 games.

Some clubs are not members of iFollow e.g. Leyton Orient and Harrogate Town

During lockdown, I've been happy to watch two League 2 games on a Saturday and on a Tuesday as there have been staggered kick offs and it keeps me entertained. I also enjoy watching the opposition and looking for strengths and weaknesses; and seeing which players at other clubs are in form.

As said before, there is not much difference between most teams in League 2. The top sides are usually just a little better organised and consistent, have a better success rate for taking their chances and make fewer mistakes at the back. As Paul Cox used to say it's all about "fine margins in both boxes".

Do you have to buy a season package (£5 per month) for each club then Tippy.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:07 pm

no, you just sign up for the "Basic pass" for any club, which is free. You can then buy a match pass for £10 for that club.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Watching Stevenage vs Cambridge on iFollow.

Stevenage take the lead against the run of play after 22 minutes.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:52 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Watching Stevenage vs Cambridge on iFollow.

Stevenage take the lead against the run of play after 22 minutes.

Can't believe I'm looking at the points per game at the moment, we are ahead of them.
I'm going for a 2-1 win to Cambridge hopefully.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:58 pm

HT: Stevenage 1 Cambridge United 0
Stevenage took the lead against the run of play on 22 minutes from a long throw by Remeao Hutton on the right. It skimmed off Charlie Carter's head to Tom Newton whose shot was blocked. It rebounded to Carter who poked a shot into the roof of the net.

Cambridge have had a couple of chances from crosses from the right by Kyle Knoyle. Joe Ironside shot wide from one of them. Adam May also had a shot from distance following a corner which Jamie Cumming in goal for Stevenage had to push away. Scott Cuthbert is keeping Paul Mullin quiet at the moment and it is Joe Ironside who is getting more space.

A poor game to date though.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Good start to evenings proceedings...
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 pm

FT: Stevenage 1 Cambridge United 0
Jack Aitchison had a shot on the turn saved by Callum Burton in goal for Cambridge and Paul Mullin had a shot into the sidenetting but that was about it in the 2nd half until the 93rd minute when the ball fell to Cambridge centre half, Sam Darling, in the Stevenage penalty area but Terence Vancooten threw himself in and made a match winning block.

A poor game. Stevenage have only won 4 games in 2020 and two were against Cambridge.

Stevenage MOM: Scott Cuthbert and Terence Vancooten (centre halfs)
Cambridge MOM: Kyle Knoyle
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:10 pm

not ideal stevenage winning
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:12 pm

What game you watching now Tippy? Still got L2 covered?

I'm going to watch United Vs Wolves.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:FT: Stevenage 1 Cambridge United 0
Jack Aitchison had a shot on the turn saved by Callum Burton in goal for Cambridge and Paul Mullin had a shot into the sidenetting but that was about it in the 2nd half until the 93rd minute when the ball fell to Cambridge centre half, Sam Darling, in the Stevenage penalty area but Terence Vancooten threw himself in and made a match winning block.

A poor game. Stevenage have only won 4 games in 2020 and two were against Cambridge.

Stevenage MOM: Scott Cuthbert and Terence Vancooten (centre halfs)
Cambridge MOM: Kyle Knoyle

a dreadful game. As Tippy says, Cambridge didn't look like equalising until the 93rd minute when Vancooton brilliantly blocked a shot over the bar.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:28 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I'm going to watch United Vs Wolves.

Who are they? :)

Bradford City v Port Vale

"Port Vale boss John Askey has made three changes to his side – and included three academy players on the bench – for tonight’s game at Bradford City. Askey has recalled Leon Legge, Shaun Brisley and David Amoo to his XI as Tom Pope, Zak Mills and Adam Crookes are dropped to the bench."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:33 pm

Walsall 0-1 Scunny
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 pm

The gap between the bottom and mid table is being squeezed. We must keep up with the others down there, starting Saturday. Unlike other seasons there's not 1 team adrift.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:00 pm

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 pm

I'm watching Barrow vs Tranmere. More entertainment in the first 15 minutes than the whole of Stevenage vs Cambridge.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:08 pm

Barrow 0-1 Tranny

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 pm

:yahoo:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:10 pm

23 mins Barrow 0-1 Tranmere. Great header from James Vaughan.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:12 pm

Orient 1-0 Southend

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager