{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Plea To Florist!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: A Plea To Florist!

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:09 am

Vice President wrote:Our strikers haven't been good enough for a few years now.

It's a shame that we are relying on untried youth players from a championship side to provide the answer.

Gone are the days when, as an average league 2 side we could sign proven goal scorers at this level. Players such as Frank Wignall, Ernie Moss, Kevin Randall, Jim Lumby, Neil Whatmore, Keith Cassellls, Trevor Christie, Phil Stant, Tony Lormor, Richard Barker, Stallard - all players who were experienced and had scored for fun at this level (and higher) before signing for us. The days of players like that being available appear to be long gone. Is it due to fitness levels, or money, or something else? Either way - proven goal scorers are gold dust now.

It's true that it feels like we have a striker drought at the moment. I do think perhaps we skew history though to cloud our perception.

Greenacre was easily our last best striker, but came untried from Man City in the Prem, Barker was largely unproven and came from championship club Rotherham, as did Boulding on his return.

Stallard was in his twilight years when with us in the BSP, and Green was hardly proven before assuring his place in our hall of fame.

There perhaps was a golden era for Strikers, but some of our great names have been punts that came off. Either it was luck or game of averages, or there is some trait we recently overlook?

Either way, I'd be trialing players and scouting teams above and below us. No disrespect to Walker, but he could do with a chat with Forest's attacking coach, and for our fans to give him a bit more support to build his confidence on match days.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:12 am

yorkshire stag wrote:come on Wack bag a hat trick tonight
smash it back at us lad

Low confidence in front of goal, Yorke. As it is with lots of our lads I reckon.

I know fans are entitled to their opinions, but giving these guys our full support for 90 mins can only help
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:16 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:come on Wack bag a hat trick tonight
smash it back at us lad

Low confidence in front of goal, Yorke. As it is with lots of our lads I reckon.

I know fans are entitled to their opinions, but giving these guys our full support for 90 mins can only help

problem is fans want to see effort & goals

if they are struggling to hit the net they want to see 100% effort and that’s not his game
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:24 am

Walker is not lazy. What a ridiculous comment that is to make.

He needs a goal, and looks like he’s beating himself up with every chance he misses.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:30 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

It's a shame that we are relying on untried youth players from a championship side to provide the answer.

Gone are the days when, as an average league 2 side we could sign proven goal scorers at this level. Players such as Frank Wignall, Ernie Moss, Kevin Randall, Jim Lumby, Neil Whatmore, Keith Cassellls, Trevor Christie, Phil Stant, Tony Lormor, Richard Barker, Stallard - all players who were experienced and had scored for fun at this level (and higher) before signing for us. The days of players like that being available appear to be long gone. Is it due to fitness levels, or money, or something else? Either way - proven goal scorers are gold dust now.

It's true that it feels like we have a striker drought at the moment. I do think perhaps we skew history though to cloud our perception.

Greenacre was easily our last best striker, but came untried from Man City in the Prem, Barker was largely unproven and came from championship club Rotherham, as did Boulding on his return.

Stallard was in his twilight years when with us in the BSP, and Green was hardly proven before assuring his place in our hall of fame.

There perhaps was a golden era for Strikers, but some of our great names have been punts that came off. Either it was luck or game of averages, or there is some trait we recently overlook?

Either way, I'd be trialing players and scouting teams above and below us. No disrespect to Walker, but he could do with a chat with Forest's attacking coach, and for our fans to give him a bit more support to build his confidence on match days.

Barker wasn't unproven, he was loved at Rotherham even having the Fanzine named after him ....Richie Barkers Magic Hat, I think it was called.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 am

James wrote:Walker is not lazy. What a ridiculous comment that is to make.

He needs a goal, and looks like he’s beating himself up with every chance he misses.

who said lazy Jimmy ?

i said he looks like he dosent give 100% which i stand by!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Barker wasn't unproven, he was loved at Rotherham even having the Fanzine named after him ....Richie Barkers Magic Hat, I think it was called.

Hmmm, I always remember it as he was struggling to get a game at the time? And the fans loved his effort and commitment but he was lacking an end product.

Maybe I'm wrong in my recollection though
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:29 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Hmmm, I always remember it as he was struggling to get a game at the time? And the fans loved his effort and commitment but he was lacking an end product.

Maybe I'm wrong in my recollection though

Not that it really matters of course.....I missed the striker that burned brightly for a relatively short time, Steve Whitehall.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

who said lazy Jimmy ?

I don’t see that at all. I see a player who’s low on confidence who just needs a goal, and our support. I think he’s put in 100% every game.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:54 am

Its a funny one with him, he does not seem to want to get involved, he could make so many more runs and attempts to try and get on the end of things.

I have also noticed he does not seem to ''get at'' defenders when he has a chance too, he has a bit of pace but does not seem to want to use it, probably a confidence thing.

His better performances for me have been when he has had to hold the ball up and play as a target man.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:33 am

Its unlikely the forward line will change much this season so think we will have to go with the flow with what we have got and hope that Rose and walker with Davies close behind can start scoring at least 2 goals every now and then.
Still time to turn it around but looks like we wont be doing many 3 4 or 5 nils etc at the moment.
Agree with Mutiny lets give full support to what we have got and liked the attitude of Walker when he came here and Forest would not have him on the books for fun or out of loyalty to his Dad.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:53 am

James wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

who said lazy Jimmy ?

I don’t see that at all. I see a player who’s low on confidence who just needs a goal, and our support. I think he’s put in 100% every game.

I don't think that he puts in 100% in most games.
If there's a half chance but it doesn't immediately fall nicely for him, then he'll give up. If it looks a bit of a lost cause he'll stop and take a rest rather than gamble that he might get lucky. Rose will run himself into the ground trying to create a half chance from nothing, and sometimes it works (although at present he rarely turns a half chance into a goal).
Walker seems to need a bit of space before he can look the part, and appears to lose confidence if constantly crowded. Yes, he does need encouragement, but he might help get himself more support from the crowd if he gives a better impression.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:13 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

who said lazy Jimmy ?

Palmer used to run himself silly mainly after lost causes.

Doesn't mean he was a good striker.

We don't want Walker turning into a headless chicken Yorkshire Stag.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 am

Bradders wrote:
James wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

who said lazy Jimmy ?

If there's a half chance but it doesn't immediately fall nicely for him, then he'll give up. If it looks a bit of a lost cause he'll stop and take a rest rather than gamble that he might get lucky. Rose will run himself into the ground trying to create a half chance from nothing, and sometimes it works (although at present he rarely turns a half chance into a goal).
Walker seems to need a bit of space before he can look the part, and appears to lose confidence if constantly crowded. Yes, he does need encouragement, but he might help get himself more support from the crowd if he gives a better impression.

It's how I see it too, I have been pretty disappointed with him to be honest.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:53 am

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:
James wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

who said lazy Jimmy ?

It's how I see it too, I have been pretty disappointed with him to be honest.

Precisely. He's a classic loanee who thinks his future lies elsewhere. Why bother?

Bother mate, because if you can't deliver for MTFC you ain't getting anywhere near the forest bench let alone the first team.

He needs to produce something very soon.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Said it before and Ill say it again. Walker has scored some lovely goals for other clubs on loan and even in the championship for Forest. He knows how much hes on, and that its alot for this level/club. He knows if he doesn't bag 25 goals in this league he'll have no chance elsewhere.

Things aren't falling for him and the crowd isnt helping him, hes only 22 fgs the kid needs the fans on his side. In a new side, with massive pressure on him hes manager 7 goals in 17 appearances, not a bad start. But this team as a whole isnt scoring enough goals so its not just down to him. Hes an alright player on the ball and its not the worse player in the side by a long way. Hes played really well after hes scored and seems to get the extra bounce in his step, thats confidence..

Support him, Get a chant about him going, and hope he scores more than anyone in the side. Make him feel wanted and make him enjoy his time here.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Said it before and Ill say it again. Walker has scored some lovely goals for other clubs on loan and even in the championship for Forest. He knows how much hes on, and that its alot for this level/club. He knows if he doesn't bag 25 goals in this league he'll have no chance elsewhere.

Things aren't falling for him and the crowd isnt helping him, hes only 22 fgs the kid needs the fans on his side. In a new side, with massive pressure on him hes manager 7 goals in 17 appearances, not a bad start. But this team as a whole isnt scoring enough goals so its not just down to him. Hes an alright player on the ball and its not the worse player in the side by a long way. Hes played really well after hes scored and seems to get the extra bounce in his step, thats confidence..

Support him, Get a chant about him going, and hope he scores more than anyone in the side. Make him feel wanted and make him enjoy his time here.

Exactly, "an alright player" in the lowest tier of league football, you'd think he'd standout.
"Things aren't falling for him", I take it you missed the chances like Saturday's where he's "in" but can't finish, the one at Tranmere in front of us was criminal, he doesn't even make the GK work.

He looks very average and that's probably being generous
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Bradders wrote:
James wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

who said lazy Jimmy ?

Spot on, But IMO he IS lazy and at times appears totally uninterested if things aren't going his way.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Hemmings had his critics last season, then towards the end of the season most people wanted to sign him.

Funny how some people on this thread will defend DF by saying 'its only October, judge him in May' but then write off Walker in exactly the same month... funny right?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Said it before and Ill say it again. Walker has scored some lovely goals for other clubs on loan and even in the championship for Forest. He knows how much hes on, and that its alot for this level/club. He knows if he doesn't bag 25 goals in this league he'll have no chance elsewhere.

Exactly, "an alright player" in the lowest tier of league football, you'd think he'd standout.
"Things aren't falling for him", I take it you missed the chances like Saturday's where he's "in" but can't finish, the one at Tranmere in front of us was criminal, he doesn't even make the GK work.

Its confidence.... wouldn't hurt to support him would it? Classical Mansfield fans would rather moan and have a boo boy to blame being an average league two side on then have a go supporting a player.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Its confidence.... wouldn't hurt to support him would it? Classical Mansfield fans would rather moan and have a boo boy to blame being an average league two side on then have a go supporting a player.

It's an opinion, on match day he gets my full support but every chance he misses the support wanes.

If he'd come from non league he'd probably get more leeway as we wouldn't be expecting too much.
However he comes from a higher league and doesnt/hasnt shown anything that makes you think eyup this lad has something about him, his all round game is poor which you wouldn't mind if he just stuck the ball in the net.

Let's hope by 10 tonight I'm tucking in to some humble pie
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

I'd love to see him get some more encouragement, and then who knows what would happen. He missed a couple on Saturday which could have had a huge impact on the game for sure, and you can see he beats himself up about it. Slaughtering the lad every time he looks like messing up isn't going to help.
What he does do is get himself into the scoring positions and that for me is a positive. As is said above, he is 22, with limited experience. Lets give him a chance.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amberheart » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Bradders wrote:
James wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

who said lazy Jimmy ?

I'm not sure how true it is but I heard when Tyler was at Forest he fell out of love with the game & stopped playing for a while & then returned? Maybe he's under pressure to keep playing
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

I'd love to see him get some more encouragement, and then who knows what would happen. He missed a couple on Saturday which could have had a huge impact on the game for sure, and you can see he beats himself up about it. Slaughtering the lad every time he looks like messing up isn't going to help.
What he does do is get himself into the scoring positions and that for me is a positive. As is said above, he is 22, with limited experience. Lets give him a chance.

Limited experience? What?

He's 22 and made 80 odd appearances so far, evenly split between Championship and L2. He has appeared for 6 professional clubs and England U20 where he played 7 times. He has scored 20 league goals, 2 of which were away at St.James' park while playing for Forest.

Lack of experience? Behave.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Walker is a tidy player on the ball but I suspect Forest under 21's and other reserve teams is a different ball game to the rough and tumble hairy arsed centre halves he is up against now.
I suspect Flitcroft imagined he would be troubling the top scorer charts when we loaned him and it clearly isn't going to be the case.
Has he been that bad..... No, but could we have expected more for what we are supposedly laying out....yes.
As in previous seasons we are still looking for a striker better than Green.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum