{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Exeter Scorefred sponsored by bone idle Adam

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Exeter Scorefred sponsored by bone idle Adam

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:40 pm

Dan wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:How anybody can suggest Cooper after the Dempser debacle, is beyond me.

Same but the guy suggesting it also thinks 4th was a failure

Grow up. I don’t think 4th is a failure I think the manager who had the most resources ever given to a Stags manager who STILL couldn’t get us promoted is a failure. And a double one at that.

Regarding Coops, so because Dempster didn’t work we don’t bother giving any other young coach a chance then? This place is incredible honestly. Thank God you pair have got nothing to do with these decisions.

Dan it's you who should grow up as I would imagine you've managed jacksh$it from a people perspective.

It was very disappointing to finish 4th but you don't demand heads you take a calm and calculated but not emotional view. In my view DF should have been given to Oct/Nov and them sacked if things weren't looking good.

Does anybody really believe if DF had continued we would be 2nd bottom?

Dan - this is what you voted for. Be a big boy and acknowledge that you called it wrong/
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Just watched the game back on iFollow. The best side won as after a tight 1st half Exeter were far stronger in the 2nd half and the Stags were just hanging on for a point when Exeter scored the winner which was due to Ryan Burke getting caught out of position yet again and then not stopping the cross. We are in deep trouble if we are going to have to rely on him at left back. Poor recruitment is letting us down. However the Stags could have won it if they had been more clinical. The Stags scored against the run of play with a great Oli Hawkins header from Stephen Quinn’s free kick but Jordan Bowery then missed a great chance after being set up by a Rhys Oates interception and pass. Jordan Bowery and Ryan Burke were then marking nobody for Exeter’s equaliser. Jordan Bowery also should have scored in the 1st half from a great cross to the back post by Harry Charsley and Rhys Oates also sliced a shot badly wide at 1-1.

I thought Farrend Rawson and Oli Hawkins were tremendous at centre half. I gave Rawson MOM.

Rawson 8.5 - Had a very good game at centre half including a great double block. Made another vital last ditch tackle at the end.
Oli Hawkins 8 – Very strong in the air at the back (13 aerials won) and a great header from the free kick for the goal.
James Clarke 7 – Gave it his best shot as always. 92 touches of the ball. Gave the ball away far too much in the 1st half (10 times) but kept going and made some good tackles on the dangerous Onura Edwards and made some good defensive clearances in the 2nd half. Made 10 clearances in total. It was a shame he was beaten in the air by Matt Jay for the winning goal as it was not deserved based on his overall performance. He does tend to get beaten in the air at the back post or let the ball float over his head.
Ollie Clarke 6.5 – Had a very good 1st half. I thought he was our best player along with Rawson. Not as effective 2nd half. Highest number of accurate passes (37)
Stephen Quinn 6.5 – Reasonable 1st half and great free kick for the goal but then struggled to make an impact as he was having to spend a lot of time dealing with Exeter’s attacks down the right. 36 accurate passes. He missed not having McLaughlin behind him.
Harry Charsley 6.5 – Worked hard down the right. Had a good shooting chance in the 1st half and put in a great cross for Jordan Bowery which Bowery should have headed in.
George Lapslie 6 – Reasonable 1st half but not as involved and as influential 2nd half.
Nathan Bishop 5.5 – Made one great save and another vital tackle at the end to stop a goal. Should have saved Matt Jay’s header. It’s the second time he has been beaten from a tight angle by a header. We also mainly gave away possession from his kicks and clearances.
Rhys Oates 5.5 – Ran his socks off up front with little support. Great interception, run and pass to put Jordan Bowery through on goal. Should have done better with his chance in 2nd half.
Jordan Bowery 5 – Worked hard as always but missed two great chances and then caught ball watching for Exeter’s 1st goal. He was looking tired when he was subbed. He has all the right attributes to make a good forward but just does not make enough impact on games on a regular basis. A massively frustrating player. You can see why managers give up on him and he has drifted down the leagues. I don't think he will be here next season. I can even see him leaving in January.
Ryan Burke 4.5 – Made a few good tackles but gave the ball away too much (11 times in 1st half) and was constantly caught out of position. Should have stopped the cross for Exeter’s 2nd goal. Not good enough for the 1st team which Nigel Clough admits but he recruited him. Perhaps we should have signed Junior Daniel as a back up left back. He would have done a better job.

Clough In.

A very good and accurate report Tippy, and as you said a very accurate description of the game that young Nige said on air to Stevo.

The big question is 'should young Nige say the truth on air'.

It all depends how the lads on the receiving end take the public criticism.

If they take it the wrong way and down tools then perhaps they should be here anyway but if they learn then great.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:30 pm

part time pete wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Just watched the game back on iFollow. The best side won as after a tight 1st half Exeter were far stronger in the 2nd half and the Stags were just hanging on for a point when Exeter scored the winner which was due to Ryan Burke getting caught out of position yet again and then not stopping the cross. We are in deep trouble if we are going to have to rely on him at left back. Poor recruitment is letting us down. However the Stags could have won it if they had been more clinical. The Stags scored against the run of play with a great Oli Hawkins header from Stephen Quinn’s free kick but Jordan Bowery then missed a great chance after being set up by a Rhys Oates interception and pass. Jordan Bowery and Ryan Burke were then marking nobody for Exeter’s equaliser. Jordan Bowery also should have scored in the 1st half from a great cross to the back post by Harry Charsley and Rhys Oates also sliced a shot badly wide at 1-1.

I thought Farrend Rawson and Oli Hawkins were tremendous at centre half. I gave Rawson MOM.

Rawson 8.5 - Had a very good game at centre half including a great double block. Made another vital last ditch tackle at the end.
Oli Hawkins 8 – Very strong in the air at the back (13 aerials won) and a great header from the free kick for the goal.
James Clarke 7 – Gave it his best shot as always. 92 touches of the ball. Gave the ball away far too much in the 1st half (10 times) but kept going and made some good tackles on the dangerous Onura Edwards and made some good defensive clearances in the 2nd half. Made 10 clearances in total. It was a shame he was beaten in the air by Matt Jay for the winning goal as it was not deserved based on his overall performance. He does tend to get beaten in the air at the back post or let the ball float over his head.
Ollie Clarke 6.5 – Had a very good 1st half. I thought he was our best player along with Rawson. Not as effective 2nd half. Highest number of accurate passes (37)
Stephen Quinn 6.5 – Reasonable 1st half and great free kick for the goal but then struggled to make an impact as he was having to spend a lot of time dealing with Exeter’s attacks down the right. 36 accurate passes. He missed not having McLaughlin behind him.
Harry Charsley 6.5 – Worked hard down the right. Had a good shooting chance in the 1st half and put in a great cross for Jordan Bowery which Bowery should have headed in.
George Lapslie 6 – Reasonable 1st half but not as involved and as influential 2nd half.
Nathan Bishop 5.5 – Made one great save and another vital tackle at the end to stop a goal. Should have saved Matt Jay’s header. It’s the second time he has been beaten from a tight angle by a header. We also mainly gave away possession from his kicks and clearances.
Rhys Oates 5.5 – Ran his socks off up front with little support. Great interception, run and pass to put Jordan Bowery through on goal. Should have done better with his chance in 2nd half.
Jordan Bowery 5 – Worked hard as always but missed two great chances and then caught ball watching for Exeter’s 1st goal. He was looking tired when he was subbed. He has all the right attributes to make a good forward but just does not make enough impact on games on a regular basis. A massively frustrating player. You can see why managers give up on him and he has drifted down the leagues. I don't think he will be here next season. I can even see him leaving in January.
Ryan Burke 4.5 – Made a few good tackles but gave the ball away too much (11 times in 1st half) and was constantly caught out of position. Should have stopped the cross for Exeter’s 2nd goal. Not good enough for the 1st team which Nigel Clough admits but he recruited him. Perhaps we should have signed Junior Daniel as a back up left back. He would have done a better job.

Clough In.

A very good and accurate report Tippy, and as you said a very accurate description of the game that young Nige said on air to Stevo.

The big question is 'should young Nige say the truth on air'.

It all depends how the lads on the receiving end take the public criticism.

If they take it the wrong way and down tools then perhaps they should be here anyway but if they learn then great.

Have a look at the majority of performances this season and that will tell you that the ‘say it how it is’ approach hasn’t worked.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Dan wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:How anybody can suggest Cooper after the Dempser debacle, is beyond me.

Same but the guy suggesting it also thinks 4th was a failure

Grow up. I don’t think 4th is a failure I think the manager who had the most resources ever given to a Stags manager who STILL couldn’t get us promoted is a failure. And a double one at that.

Regarding Coops, so because Dempster didn’t work we don’t bother giving any other young coach a chance then? This place is incredible honestly. Thank God you pair have got nothing to do with these decisions.

Dan it's you who should grow up as I would imagine you've managed jacksh$it from a people perspective.

It was very disappointing to finish 4th but you don't demand heads you take a calm and calculated but not emotional view. In my view DF should have been given to Oct/Nov and them sacked if things weren't looking good.

Does anybody really believe if DF had continued we would be 2nd bottom?

Dan - this is what you voted for. Be a big boy and acknowledge that you called it wrong/

That doesn’t even make sense. Have you been on the beer?! What have I voted for?!

There’s probably a maximum of ten of you on here that are deluded enough to think he did a good job & deserved to stay (& half of you at the time were calling for his head :lol: ). Everyone else including the chairman and directors saw it for what it was - a double failure. Finishing 4th and not winning the play offs is the same as finishing 19th. But when you’ve been given the most expensive budget ever in the clubs history and you don’t go up then you’ve failed. Even more so when you only needed one point from the last 3 games. I only saw ONE player say they were gutted he went. A few others liked the tweets from the club saying he was sacked. That tells me everything. I know for a fact he’d lost the dressing room. You won’t want to believe that but the results don’t lie, just look at the last 12 games. I think we would’ve had a hangover which is what I think happened without Flitcroft. There are lots of examples of teams who have lost in the play offs then got relegated or carried on the same the following season. The latest example of that is Lamouchi at Forest. They were flying a lot of the season like we were. Then he started to bottle it like Flitcroft. Then he started tinkering and playing players out of position like Flitcroft did. Then he got really desperate when it started to crumble the same as Flitcroft and he completely bottled it like Flitcroft. You can cry all you like about the decision and we’ll never know what might’ve been, but I prefer to deal in facts and the above facts tell me it was the right decision to get rid of him. What has happened since then is completely irrelevant because hindsight is a wonderful thing and is a different discussion.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:51 am

Well said Dan

Some posters really do distort things when looking back. Yes we had a very good spell but the majority of his tenure was mediocre at best.

Some of the same posters need to actually look at the games this season and not just the results. Many of the performances have been streets ahead of Flitcroft’s efforts and haven’t brought the rewards they deserved. We really aren’t that far off and results will come if we don’t hound the manager and players out. It takes very little ability to find fault.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:24 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Well said Dan

Some posters really do distort things when looking back. Yes we had a very good spell but the majority of his tenure was mediocre at best.

Some of the same posters need to actually look at the games this season and not just the results. Many of the performances have been streets ahead of Flitcroft’s efforts and haven’t brought the rewards they deserved. We really aren’t that far off and results will come if we don’t hound the manager and players out. It takes very little ability to find fault.

This team hasnt produced anything near what flitcrofts squad did... What have you been watching?!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 am

No chance Sandy. The performances this season have been poor in the most part. Dempster and Coughlan produced better than we have this season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:51 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

No chance Sandy. The performances this season have been poor in the most part. Dempster and Coughlan produced better than we have this season.

I’m not talking about the football under Flitcroft’s purple patch but the less than average dross in most of his other games. Anyone who witnessed the gutless, inept ‘performance’ at County (along with plenty more) will know exactly what I mean. Poor teams made us look ordinary and also took the points when we should have been pushing through. That was the reality not the rose tinted version we read on here.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:00 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I’m not talking about the football under Flitcroft’s purple patch but the less than average dross in most of his other games. Anyone who witnessed the gutless, inept ‘performance’ at County (along with plenty more) will know exactly what I mean. Poor teams made us look ordinary and also took the points when we should have been pushing through. That was the reality not the rose tinted version we read on here.

As I've said before, I'm not a Flitcroft fan boy, but the performances under him were light years away from where we have been this season. He never had a spell as bad as the one we're having now over 12 games, even outside the 'purple patch' you mention.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:16 am

broomo wrote:A long way to go to come home gutted.

I thought both full backs struggle all afternoon, both on and off the ball. Clarke is definitely the tidier of the two but both left their men in acres of space all afternoon and were careless with a lot of their passing.

I don't think enough is made of Faz's lack of conviction from attacking set pieces. His chance in the first 5 minutes was as good as any and he goes with such weak desire.

Bowery's lack of getting a shot off to put us 2 up is unforgivable but he had a similar chance first half and dallied just as much.

The equaliser is a touch unfortunate in that both centre backs end up on their arse but just about sums us up when we come under any kind of intense pressure.

The winner? Burke had to do better to stop the first cross, Clarke has to do better and simply cannot let the ball float over his head. He did that 3 or 4 times yesterday, he has to learn and learn quickly.

NC getting stick for "hanging the full backs out to dry" but there isn't one part of what he said that wasn't spot on. Macca wouldn't have played the way Burke did and although I still think Clarke will make a good player, he has to start winning his far post headers. Personally I'd be more worried if NC hadn't spotted it.

Such a shame to lose it like that as for the first 65 minutes we had by far the better of the opportunities, aside from a couple of balls flashed across our box, again caused by the left back being nowhere near stopping the cross.

Undoubtedly worrying times and the pressure on NC rightly increases but yet again individual mistakes and bad decisions at both ends of the pitch cost us.

Think thats a fair summary although you will get pelters on here for any criticism of the younger players as some seem to think we should play them regardless of their ability to do so. Neither Clarke or Burke should start the next game IMO.
What did you think of his decision to isolate Oates on his own and effectively hand Exeter 30 minutes of constant attack v defence?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

As I've said before, I'm not a Flitcroft fan boy, but the performances under him were light years away from where we have been this season. He never had a spell as bad as the one we're having now over 12 games, even outside the 'purple patch' you mention.

We obviously watched different matches as my opinion is the opposite to that. Some Flitcroft matches were relegation standard. Yes we’ve had a couple of poor performances this term but not many when we were well short of a point at least.

We will have to agree to disagree as I’m sure other posters don’t want another Flitcroft debate. I certainly wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club particularly at a time of crisis.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:19 am

If Stephen McLaughlin is not available then we should play Jason Law at left back. He will do a better job than Ryan Burke. He's played left back before in B Team Trophy games and in friendlies.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:21 am

I really wish people on here would stop idolising Flitcroft, he failed…………twice! We need to concentrate on the here and now and Clough needs to step up because we have failed spectacularly again this season despite all the early promise. A win is vital to reset our season and maybe with the injured players returning, we may be lucky. We need to start on the front front and defend for our lives.
Clough and the team need to deliver three points on Saturday.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am

Love how DF lives in Dan’s head rent free.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:25 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
chip63 wrote:Where is all this money coming from to sack Clough and his back room staff and pay for another manager and all his back room staff.
He's been through it before and come good, stability is needed both on and off the pitch, I'm sure if Macca and Hewitt could of started we wouldn't be talking about this again.

Money, interesting...

Insurance industry rolled in cash throughout the covid crisis. No one was driving, there were very few accidents or need for legal recourse etc. That was a massive opportunity for Radford to wade in against the consensus. I said it then but we should have ploughed money in, the competitive advantage over clubs reducing budget would have been enormous, and better players could have been attracted by paying better than some L1 clubs.

Instead Radford proposed a salary cap! Granted I don't know anything about their finances or the clubs running, but that's what it looked like from the outside.

Radford is the legal owner, but it's not his club. It's our club and he needs to what's best for us, not him. If he starts looking out for his own interest then we'll soon start going wrong.

We'll still all be here when they sell up, they won't attend games once they've offloaded it. They barely do now.

He did well to take the club back from Haslam, but we've spent the last few years stuck in reverse and Radford has to take the bulk of that blame in my opinion. It's unpopular on here, but frankly I know how business works and can plainly see our club is without coherent leadership or strategy.

If/when he sacks Clough we HAVE to get this next appointment absolutely spot on. Once we're safe, we HAVE to sort this out. A full postmortem, Lessons learned, etc. We can't keep doing this.

I’d disagree. This time last year, I’d just been made redundant by The AA. Two days after the lockdown started, they announced an end to bonuses for 2 years, and no pay rises. The company almost went bust.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:46 am

london amber stag wrote:I really wish people on here would stop idolising Flitcroft, he failed…………twice! We need to concentrate on the here and now and Clough needs to step up because we have failed spectacularly again this season despite all the early promise. A win is vital to reset our season and maybe with the injured players returning, we may be lucky. We need to start on the front front and defend for our lives.
Clough and the team need to deliver three points on Saturday.

We will finish 5th, win the playoffs and people will still talk about him and how he shouldn't have been sacked. :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Perch. Nartey, Hewitt, Forrester, Maris, Gordon, Mclaughlin, Stirk, 8 players out of a 24 man squad.
Leaving 16 to cover a 16 match day squad, leaves us a bit short i think,
3 or 4 out would be bad, but 8 and we only lost 1-2 away to a team inform,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
chip63 wrote:Where is all this money coming from to sack Clough and his back room staff and pay for another manager and all his back room staff.
He's been through it before and come good, stability is needed both on and off the pitch, I'm sure if Macca and Hewitt could of started we wouldn't be talking about this again.

Money, interesting...

Insurance industry rolled in cash throughout the covid crisis. No one was driving, there were very few accidents or need for legal recourse etc. That was a massive opportunity for Radford to wade in against the consensus. I said it then but we should have ploughed money in, the competitive advantage over clubs reducing budget would have been enormous, and better players could have been attracted by paying better than some L1 clubs.

Instead Radford proposed a salary cap! Granted I don't know anything about their finances or the clubs running, but that's what it looked like from the outside.

Radford is the legal owner, but it's not his club. It's our club and he needs to what's best for us, not him. If he starts looking out for his own interest then we'll soon start going wrong.

We'll still all be here when they sell up, they won't attend games once they've offloaded it. They barely do now.

He did well to take the club back from Haslam, but we've spent the last few years stuck in reverse and Radford has to take the bulk of that blame in my opinion. It's unpopular on here, but frankly I know how business works and can plainly see our club is without coherent leadership or strategy.

If/when he sacks Clough we HAVE to get this next appointment absolutely spot on. Once we're safe, we HAVE to sort this out. A full postmortem, Lessons learned, etc. We can't keep doing this.

I’d disagree. This time last year, I’d just been made redundant by The AA. Two days after the lockdown started, they announced an end to bonuses for 2 years, and no pay rises. The company almost went bust.

Pretty sure it was widely covered at the time Belly. One Call Insurance posted an £8m increase earnings/profit for 2020 when compared to 2019. Statement available on companies House. Granted it's the companies money and Radford has a board and can't just chuck money at whatever he wants.

... If I read them right, which I might not...
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum