{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Wrexham fred sponsored by Don't Forget Your Passport

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Wrexham fred sponsored by Don't Forget Your Passport

Postby broomo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:ok we all have watched it, and its all about opinions. Mine is that the Ref was a complete arse, but our strength in depth is not what we thought it was. We finished with two centre forwards at full backs and a young lad at centre forward who is a novice. I still maintain that we needed a goal scoring centre forward in january, happy clappers said not but Nigel tried for one. monday is massive.

Nichols was a panic buy after not securing the Gregory loan true story … but on we go these home games now are must wins so everyone in the ground need to get behind them from minute one till the final whistle coys

Nichols was signed before we finally pulled out of trying to sign Gregory. True story.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 pm

Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:The disallowed goal was the correct decision in my opinion, that video on twitter doesn't show when DKD takes it out of the keepers hands, a split second before the video starts.

How anyone can argue that the penalty decision was correct is beyond me, it's 2 yards out the area for crying out loud. There is no 'to start with' about it, it was a single contact well outside of the box.

Yep I agree, keeper clearly had the ball under control (2 hands means nothing in law) and the penalty was an appalling decision.

If the law is that the keeper has to be in control of the ball, not just having two hands momentarily placed on it, then it's clear that the goal should have stood, without a question.
The Sky commentators dismissed it quickly based on the two hand "rule".
There's no question that the penalty was wrongly awarded, and no excuse for the ref getting it wrong.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 pm

Couldn't wait to give it. That was his 5 minutes in the spotlight.We've had far to many like him this season. Think that's the only away game a I've been to this season, and I've been to most, where we capitulated in the second half, and just gave up.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Ethers1979 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 pm

Just woken up after falling asleep listening to the post match garb on Radio Nottm. Can’t see Nigel’s comments. What’s he said? If he listened to some comments on here about who not to play he’d have struggled fulfilling the fixture poor chap.
Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Looks like the mini blip is going to make it a very tense run in
We could sadly still blow it
Would NOT fancy chances in the play offs and it would mean county and the sheep all over again

Looking on the bright side, that’s 12 points already :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:Not sure I agree with others that 7 from 9 will be enough in next 3 games. I think we need to win all 3. MK have easier games than us. Think we will need 85 , maybe 86 for promotion. The game away at MK could be the clincher.

MK can only get to 85 maximum, so 85 would do it with our goal difference. They would need to win all their games to get there.

Barrow can still get to 88.

Some on here seem to underestimate Barrow. For me they are as much a threat as MK Dons. Being positive I am sure both Barrow and MK Dons would gladly swop current positions with us. Despite today we are still in a great position. Good news too about Hewitt and Swan being available for Monday.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:ok we all have watched it, and its all about opinions. Mine is that the Ref was a complete arse, but our strength in depth is not what we thought it was. We finished with two centre forwards at full backs and a young lad at centre forward who is a novice. I still maintain that we needed a goal scoring centre forward in january, happy clappers said not but Nigel tried for one. monday is massive.

Nichols was a panic buy after not securing the Gregory loan true story … but on we go these home games now are must wins so everyone in the ground need to get behind them from minute one till the final whistle coys

If he was a panic buy, why is he a player that they have tried to sign before? They only signed him as Oates was injured
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Billy the fish wrote:

We obviously wanted Gregory but think it’s unfair to say Nichols was a panic buy, we had been interested in him for a while.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 pm

Only because we have a lot of defenders currently injured. We tried hard for Lee Gregory.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 pm

disappointing today ,I thought we had more in us. Palmer still really hates us .
Roar them on , on Monday & hopefully onto a win
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 pm

so frustrated after that, we were comfortable in the first half and it was a soft goal to concede.

not seen mccleans tackle but looked a certain red card to me, refs never seem to like to send players off early. their penalty was a joke, cloughie says the ref was 100% sure it was in the area which tells you a lot. would have liked the lino to have said something but they all seem too scared to give anything other than offsides.

some horrible luck again with the defensive injuries, doesn't sound like it will be any better for Monday either

this will hopefully fire us up for Monday, us against the world again.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 pm

I really hope we don’t seen JB at centre back on Monday. If we don’t have a CB available I’d put Clarke there

Also we need a fast start and I’d have Maris, Quinn and Boateng starting with Swann and Akins up front

Bounce back please
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote: Good news too about Hewitt and Swan being available for Monday.

Just to be clear, Clough did not say Swan will be available for Monday. He said we'll have to see how he is.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Kernow » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:57 pm

Still gutted
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Tidy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 pm

Kernow wrote:Still gutted

same. Any other team but Wrexham lol...
Tidy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stag324 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 pm

Tidy wrote:
Kernow wrote:Still gutted

same. Any other team but Wrexham lol...

We are still second and in control of our own destiny, Chins up
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chacawab » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 pm

It does feel like the end of the world. We’ve had no luck today as ever with injuries and then no favours from the referee and lino (who will both look great on Netflix) :roll:

Would we swap our league position and remaining fixtures with anyone else?
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby london amber stag » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:38 pm

That loss hurts as it was such a big game and to lose key players was so annoying. That was a terrible foul on Hewitt and he was clearly targeted by McClean. We must stop these defensive lapses which have become too regular of late. Wrexham did a number on us but we have to be stronger than this and stand up to these physical battles.
A win on Monday is essential however I am concerned about our injuries and lack of fight up front over the last couple of games. If we falter now MK Dons and Barrow are waiting but both teams have to win almost all of the games left in order to overtake us. Our fate lies in home wins so it is important we get behind the team in every game and make Field Mill a fortress:coys:
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 pm

The xG was 2.30-0.55

This is our lowest xG of the season and the lowest since Col U away (0.61) and Bradford City at home (0.87)

Another worrying stat is that we have only kept 1 clean sheet in the last 10 games and 3 in the last 15 games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:13 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The xG was 2.30-0.55

This is our lowest xG of the season and the lowest since Col U away (0.61) and Bradford City at home (0.87)

Another worrying stat is that we have only kept 1 clean sheet in the last 10 games and 3 in the last 15 games.

Definitely time to panic now we've had our lowest xG, man the lifeboats, women and children first.

Utter nonsense.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:25 am

The inability to keep a clean sheet is worrying at the moment, as it puts more pressure on us to have to be more clinical in front of goal to pick up wins.

But the more worrying trend of recently is conceding first, therefore giving us a mountain to climb.

Tranmere - conceded first and played poorly.

Bradford - should have conceded first, they had two very good chances before we stuck our first away and then they capitualted (that's the anomoly)

Colchester - Conceded first, really huffed and puffed and didn't play well at all, similar to Tranmere game

Wrexham - conceded first due to a mistake, despite not seeing where Wrexham ever looked likely to score. Then we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now. Very toothless all game.

We really need to get back to starting games at a high tempo and getting that all important first goal, it opens up the opposition who have to come at us more.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags Head Stags » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:41 am

Hoping we come out firing like we did after the Wimbledon debacle

Siege mentality, smash Accy and it’s on.
Stags Head Stags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PostmanPat » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:12 am

We could still be playing now and we wouldn’t have scored.

When we lined up in the second half with Akins and Bowery at the back we might aswell have got on the bus home.
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:02 am

Sneag wrote:
robda1st wrote:lewis has played most of his career at RB, why not bring on maris and put him there? Surely he couldn't have been as bad as akins was.

The line up was wrong, then the changes at half time where just awful(even though it was due to injuries there was better options) and taking of dkd and basicaly saying don't bother lads this game is lost was just embarrassing.

Please clough just go back to basics and stop trying to be to clever and please, please, please stop playing bowery in defence, Even thoug he wasn't the worst he gets caught out time and time again every game!

Despite the penalty that never was, (following another Macca error) Bowery was our best defender today.

The fact that he's a convered striker & played 3 different slots in the back four today obviously isn't ideal but he was the least of our problems today.

Didn't think I had seem robda's name for a while so I just checked his recent posts. Prior to this, his last ones were after the losses to MK and Walsall. We are all disappointed after losing a game, but how can a Stags fan with over 3000 posts have nothing to say after the 5-1 wins over Salford and Bradford, and even the never say die 3-2 against Swindon ?

As regards Bowery, the problem is that his detractors are still judging him as a striker playing out of position. He can put in any amount of good defensive work, which he did for most of the game yesterday, but he will be judged on his errors because he is a 'square peg in a round hole'. If he was a 'natural defender' his overall game would have been given a positive reaction and people would have sympathised with him for the refereeing error that lead to the penalty.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:04 am

Teams like Wrexham and mk, we need to be at our best, unfortunately we wasn’t. We lost any idea of how to play when Akins went to right back.

Macca is no way near it, shouldn’t be starting on Monday for me.

We now need to win on Monday, no excuses.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum