{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Colchester fred sponsored by It's In Our Hands

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Colchester fred sponsored by It's In Our Hands

Postby Costastag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:14 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Costastag wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:Big second half required…

Very poor.

This is dire

Never mind Costa, we could have not won in six and conceded 18 goals like, erm, Scotland :D

Or we could have sold our flag to the highest bidder better to have integrity in my eyes just sayin :lol:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:22 pm

Costastag wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Very poor.

This is dire

Never mind Costa, we could have not won in six and conceded 18 goals like, erm, Scotland :D

Or we could have sold our flag to the highest bidder better to have integrity in my eyes just sayin :lol:

Think the idiots at the FA decided on it with no "bidders" were involved then Nike just implemented it, not certain tho.
Either way I hate it, some things are just best left alone..
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:31 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Costastag wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Very poor.

This is dire

Think the idiots at the FA decided on it with no "bidders" were involved then Nike just implemented it, not certain tho.
Either way I hate it, some things are just best left alone..
Nope england have shown they are a money machine ,No integrity you can spout all you want but the fa and by virtue engerlund are all about money ,christ the replica shirts price shows it wake up
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:36 pm

So tell me oh wise one, who exactly paid for the rights to change the colours on the St George flag??
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:37 pm

Nike probably thinking if a punter is dumb enough to pay £125 for a shirt made in a Bangladeshi sweat shop for £2.50. Then they won't be that fussed abouta tiny cross on the collar.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:40 pm

1970Stag wrote:I’ll also mention that Bowery seemed to get no help from midfield ever today. He just seems to be the latest boo boy, he does a bad pass some if the crowd moan and grumble, other players do a bad pass, they don’t grumble! Saying that people were moaning at DKD, the guy that’s scored us 19 goals this season? Think people believe real life football is like championship manager or fifa where you just win every game?
Conditions were terrible but Colchester seemed to use them better.
As for the time wasting, officials have to get a grip on it earlier, and when they dont they will carry on doing it!
Horrible team Colchester, which is a shame as they seemed to have some pacy players that were a danger to us!
Onto Wrexham which I have a bad feeling about!

Bowery isn't the latest boo boy as you put it, just except, after many good games, he was very poor today both going forward and particularly when defending and getting wrong side.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:45 pm

Sneag wrote:Nike probably thinking if a punter is dumb enough to pay £125 for a shirt made in a Bangladeshi sweat shop for £2.50. Then they won't be that fussed abouta tiny cross on the collar.

Exactly, that's the point missed by outraged 30p et al. Yes the flag should not have been changed (can't say it really bothers me though) but the cost is outrageous, more so the kids ones.

Costa and the huge chip on his shoulder making big deal of it for his own sad nationalistic reasons :lol:

Anyway would love a Stags kit in the same design, it's one of our best kits.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:46 pm

Bowery and DKD were well below par today. I felt sorry for JB, he just didn’t seem to get to grips with the conditions or the left winger…made to look like a pub player today I’m afraid. Brunt was awesome. Also, what does Akins need to do to get a referee to blow for a foul against him…Colchester were ridiculous at times. The FA have got to put and end to players feigning injury just so the Cowleys can conduct a few team talks…terrible officiating again today!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:11 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Bowery and DKD were well below par today. I felt sorry for JB, he just didn’t seem to get to grips with the conditions or the left winger…made to look like a pub player today I’m afraid. Brunt was awesome. Also, what does Akins need to do to get a referee to blow for a foul against him…Colchester were ridiculous at times. The FA have got to put and end to players feigning injury just so the Cowleys can conduct a few team talks…terrible officiating again today!

What really annoys me is the fact that at the start of the season, it was trumpeted that the new focus for referees would be time wasting and professional fouls.
At the start of the season, we saw referees adding 9 or 10 minutes and McDonald booked for kicking the ball away. Suddenly, we saw the amount of time the ball was in play rising and play acting dealt with. Fast forward seven months and we saw that excuse for a performance from the officials today.
There are so many questions about the Cowleys refusing to obey the rules over one person in the technical box, time wasting, feigning injury, tactical team talks, slowing down play etc.
I don't blame the Cowleys at all but the four officials today were not applying the rules as set out at the start of the season and should be stood down for a week
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:47 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Bowery and DKD were well below par today. I felt sorry for JB, he just didn’t seem to get to grips with the conditions or the left winger…made to look like a pub player today I’m afraid. Brunt was awesome. Also, what does Akins need to do to get a referee to blow for a foul against him…Colchester were ridiculous at times. The FA have got to put and end to players feigning injury just so the Cowleys can conduct a few team talks…terrible officiating again today!

What really annoys me is the fact that at the start of the season, it was trumpeted that the new focus for referees would be time wasting and professional fouls.
At the start of the season, we saw referees adding 9 or 10 minutes and McDonald booked for kicking the ball away. Suddenly, we saw the amount of time the ball was in play rising and play acting dealt with. Fast forward seven months and we saw that excuse for a performance from the officials today.
There are so many questions about the Cowleys refusing to obey the rules over one person in the technical box, time wasting, feigning injury, tactical team talks, slowing down play etc.
I don't blame the Cowleys at all but the four officials today were not applying the rules as set out at the start of the season and should be stood down for a week

Really quick answer as to why that's changed is the premier league. They kicked off early season cos apparently it'll put them at a disadvantage in Europe where those rules aren't applied. So as per usual, the FA backed down
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:52 pm

We played just like we did at Tranmere.

At Tranmere we got what we deserved (bugger all)

Today we got away with nicking a point.

That's twice Colchester could and should have beaten us this season.

Hopefully Wrexham make more of a football game of it on Friday, because that was an awful watch.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:05 pm

stagmanrob wrote:We played just like we did at Tranmere.

Hopefully Wrexham make more of a football game of it on Friday, because that was an awful watch.

It was an awful watch in the wind and with Colchester's tactics, but come off it, we didn't nick a point. Both keepers made good saves. And we should have had a penalty on the stroke of 90 minutes when Swan was clearly brought down from behind by Smith.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

It was an awful watch in the wind and with Colchester's tactics, but come off it, we didn't nick a point. Both keepers made good saves. And we should have had a penalty on the stroke of 90 minutes when Swan was clearly brought down from behind by Smith.

We didn't play anywhere near good enough to win that game.

Nigel agreed too. He said we could have easily lost that game, and I agree. We weren't at the races at all - as I said just like we were at Tranmere. Too many players all having off days at the same time.

Only Brunty performed to a high standard really.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:13 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Nigel agreed too. He said we could have easily lost that game, and I agree. We weren't at the races at all - as I said just like we were at Tranmere. Too many players all having off days at the same time.

true, but that's completely different to saying "we nicked a point". Both sides could have won it, and a draw was probably about right.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:18 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

true, but that's completely different to saying "we nicked a point". Both sides could have won it, and a draw was probably about right.

I think we nicked one, as it was playing out exactly like Crewe at home.
Didn't look like opening them up and creating anything of note. Luckily we had Quinn putting some great crosses in today, of which the one save from Cargill's header was a worldy. Other than that I couldn't see what the fuss was that gave their keeper the MOM award. Everything else was routine, and his kicking made Pilko look like Ederson.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:05 am

Not seen, heard or read a transcript of the post match interviews. Any news on Cargill having gone off injured? On the telebox when sat on the floor he seemed to suggest with his hand something 'popped'?
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:56 am

A really frustrating game hampered by the weather, the ref, Cowley and several of our players off form.

Really surprised Clough didn't start with Clarke. That was just not a Boetang type of game. Still hard to escape the feeling our most combative midfield has Clarke, Maris and Quinn in it after all this time.

Clarke also offers more protection for Bowery who had a couple of bad touches early on and just never recovered. If Hewitt is fit next week or Williams they just have to start against Wrexham at right back.

Friday will be tough, particularly as we seem to have lost the art of a clean sheet. Would take a draw now.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:40 am

victor A block wrote:A really frustrating game hampered by the weather, the ref, Cowley and several of our players off form.

Really surprised Clough didn't start with Clarke. That was just not a Boetang type of game. Still hard to escape the feeling our most combative midfield has Clarke, Maris and Quinn in it after all this time.

Clarke also offers more protection for Bowery who had a couple of bad touches early on and just never recovered. If Hewitt is fit next week or Williams they just have to start against Wrexham at right back.

Friday will be tough, particularly as we seem to have lost the art of a clean sheet. Would take a draw now.

Regarding Friday we seem to be better away especially after a disappointment or loss.

At this stage of the season with him having been out for so long why would you risk Hewitt yet. Its great to see him back but I'd rather have him fit , well and fully recovered for the League 1 campaign than see him clogged by our Welsh brethren
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:45 am

Shame the match fred had to go off topic with some subtle political references from the usual boring tribe.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:58 am

I’m nervous, simply because we can’t afford to play like that many times over the next 7 games.

We have some tough games coming up to. A win on Friday would be huge.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:27 am

Colchester came with a game plan and executed it perfectly. Lump the ball up in the air, create confusion in the wind and outmuscle our small players. Get an early goal and wind the fans up. They diffused and switched us off. We need to find a way around teams like this.

Pantomime on their bench, and the fans behind the away dugout fell for it fuming about the little winks and gesture from the Cowleys. All good fun though and I have a begrudging admiration with the way they grind these results out.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:29 am

It was the perfect conditions for their style of play, poor weather conditions, a shambolic (and bordering embarrassing) playing surface and an early goal

Thing is with the cowleys is that whereas we know what’s coming with them we still seemingly never beat them.

It’s another point on the board and another point further away from 4th, a scenario we’d have all taken before the day started. :)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 am

Another point toward promotion.

The Cowleys are the biggest shithouses in League 2. Timewasting and cheating extraordinaire. The keeper and players going down injured as instructed to break up play and stop the Stags building up momentum. Worse than Sutton United or Evans.

It was like being at a Panto with the Cowleys ignoring the 4th official and winding up the crowd with their constant clapping and blowing kisses.

I remember when the Cowleys might have been on the list of potential Mansfield managers for a lot of Stags fans but I now hope they go back to non-league for good along with Sutton United.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:47 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Another point toward promotion.

The Cowleys are the biggest shithouses in League 2. Timewasting and cheating extraordinaire. The keeper and players going down injured as instructed to break up play and stop the Stags building up momentum. Worse than Sutton United or Evans.

It was like being at a Panto with the Cowleys ignoring the 4th official and winding up the crowd with their constant clapping and blowing kisses.

I remember when the Cowleys might have been on the list of potential Mansfield managers for a lot of Stags fans but I now hope they go back to non-league for good along with Sutton United.

I’d have to question attending if they were ever appointed, wouldn’t want them anywhere near us and living off what they did with lincoln 5-6 years ago
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum