{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Boateng

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Boateng

Postby part time pete » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:34 am

part time pete wrote:Is it just a coincidence and is there something in this?

In four of our six league defeats, Boateng has come on as a sub while we have been drawing but the Stags has lost the game.

Whereas when Clarke has come on as sub he has turned the game 5 times by finishing with a better result than when he came on. Clarke has not finished with a worse result all season when he came on as sub.

Just like Swan with five better results when coming on as sub.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:39 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:... Tranmere vs 10 men to win it, all slipped by without us really forcing the issue.

Turnbull was sent off on 90+3 with 3 minutes of stoppage time left.

OK Martin. I was just going off the top of my head. Doesn’t alter the point being made
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:58 am

Some harsh comments. Harrogate, was on fire. Saturday I thought he was excellent. His work rate for the 60mins showed, some important defensive work and some neat passing in the middle.

Some are probably writing off a full game of decent product, due to a glorious miss within 3 minutes... obviously with a lot of our players, its always the negative that stays in peoples thoughts.

We're top of the league, every player is important and we are going to need every player to get us over the line. Lets stop this unnecessary witch hunt that as a club were always so desperate to have.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:59 am

I don't mind Boateng, he does at least offer something a bit different to the other midfielders.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:15 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Some harsh comments. Harrogate, was on fire. Saturday I thought he was excellent. His work rate for the 60mins showed, some important defensive work and some neat passing in the middle.

Some are probably writing off a full game of decent product, due to a glorious miss within 3 minutes... obviously with a lot of our players, its always the negative that stays in peoples thoughts.

We're top of the league, every player is important and we are going to need every player to get us over the line. Lets stop this unnecessary witch hunt that as a club were always so desperate to have.

Like.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:03 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Some harsh comments. Harrogate, was on fire. Saturday I thought he was excellent. His work rate for the 60mins showed, some important defensive work and some neat passing in the middle.

This
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:14 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:

Like.

Spot o :coys: n
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:25 pm

Absolutely. The sad thing is, it's almost always the same players and the same posters. I fear you're pissing into the wind though.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:39 pm

On Tuesday didn't he come when we were already 2-1 down, he came on to inject some life into the midfield which he did.
We looked much better when he & DKD came on.

So, it could well be the case that we need his presence earlier in the game to stop us going behind - the link between Boateng as sub & losses is a non-starter in my opinion.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:40 pm

Whos hacked your account chander ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 pm

pemill wrote:On Tuesday didn't he come when we were already 2-1 down, he came on to inject some life into the midfield which he did.
We looked much better when he & DKD came on.

So, it could well be the case that we need his presence earlier in the game to stop us going behind - the link between Boateng as sub & losses is a non-starter in my opinion.

Wrong

Before the subsequent free-kick was taken, Hiram Boateng replaced George Maris in Stags’ first change on 55 minutes.

The omnipresent Apter eventually caused Stags’ undoing by propelling Tranmere back in front a minute later.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
broomo wrote:No team has gone behind fewer times than us all season. 14 alongside Stockport and Wrexham.

No team has a higher points per game total when going behind either.

In other words this toothless when chasing a goal thing is a bit of a myth.

Slightly surprised at that. Think we have won from behind twice this season?

We could have done more to force the issue in plenty of home games this season late on. Bradford, Wimbledon, Sutton, Crewe, MK, Doncaster, Tranmere vs 10 men to win it, all slipped by without us really forcing the issue.

I’ve openly said that we’ve done brilliantly this season and we deserve to be where we are, I just think it’s an area where we could improve.

Quite a few draws when we've gone behind will help I'd imagine. Think the larger problem seems to be we've picked up only 2 points (I think) in the final 10 minutes of games all season, and seem incapable of throwing the kitchen sink at sides. We keep our composure and our shape very well regardless of the score, which is what makes us quite hard to beat as we haven't tended to crumble and protect leads well. I think it just means when we're not at the races it's very difficult for us to get anything late on, as it's not in our nature to go all or nothing and risk losing by more / losing control.
The Tuesday night stats are interesting, and are so unusual you'd think there is a psychological reason behind it. Perhaps the focus required to play how we do (trying to keep control both on and off the ball, and cutting mistakes to a minimum) is quite hard to maintain multiple times a week, perhaps creating lapse when players think there is no danger (and therefore errors) - were all 4 goals against MK and Tranmere from outside the box?
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:05 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
broomo wrote:No team has gone behind fewer times than us all season. 14 alongside Stockport and Wrexham.

We could have done more to force the issue in plenty of home games this season late on. Bradford, Wimbledon, Sutton, Crewe, MK, Doncaster, Tranmere vs 10 men to win it, all slipped by without us really forcing the issue.

I’ve openly said that we’ve done brilliantly this season and we deserve to be where we are, I just think it’s an area where we could improve.

Quite a few draws when we've gone behind will help I'd imagine. Think the larger problem seems to be we've picked up only 2 points (I think) in the final 10 minutes of games all season, and seem incapable of throwing the kitchen sink at sides. We keep our composure and our shape very well regardless of the score, which is what makes us quite hard to beat as we haven't tended to crumble and protect leads well. I think it just means when we're not at the races it's very difficult for us to get anything late on, as it's not in our nature to go all or nothing and risk losing by more / losing control.
The Tuesday night stats are interesting, and are so unusual you'd think there is a psychological reason behind it. Perhaps the focus required to play how we do (trying to keep control both on and off the ball, and cutting mistakes to a minimum) is quite hard to maintain multiple times a week, perhaps creating lapse when players think there is no danger (and therefore errors) - were all 4 goals against MK and Tranmere from outside the box?

I had a look at at goals scored that directly led to a match resulting equaliser or winner in the last 20 minutes of games earlier. This also includes each goal where teams equalised and went on to win, and excludes goals where teams equalised and went on to lose for example. They are only goals that are result changing in the last 20 min;

Morecambe 14
Barrow 11
Crewe 10
MK 9
Crawley 9
Wrexham 8
Stockport 7
Gillingham 7
Accrington 7
Wimbledon 6
Bradford 6
Harrogate 6
Mansfield 5

Were top of the league, and have been in the lead going in to the last 20 minutes of plenty of games this season, but those where the game has been in the balance where a point or 3 have been at stake I think we could up it slightly. If we do we will go up comfortably.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:59 am

BH_Stag wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

I had a look at at goals scored that directly led to a match resulting equaliser or winner in the last 20 minutes of games earlier. This also includes each goal where teams equalised and went on to win, and excludes goals where teams equalised and went on to lose for example. They are only goals that are result changing in the last 20 min;

Morecambe 14
Barrow 11
Crewe 10
MK 9
Crawley 9
Wrexham 8
Stockport 7
Gillingham 7
Accrington 7
Wimbledon 6
Bradford 6
Harrogate 6
Mansfield 5

Were top of the league, and have been in the lead going in to the last 20 minutes of plenty of games this season, but those where the game has been in the balance where a point or 3 have been at stake I think we could up it slightly. If we do we will go up comfortably.

Being home & hosed with 20 minutes to go is surely better than chasing a result with 20 minutes to go.

I'm surprised Wrexham have only picked up 8 points which isn't that spectacular given the amount of late pens they get.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:40 am

Sneag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Morecambe 14
Barrow 11
Crewe 10
MK 9
Crawley 9
Wrexham 8
Stockport 7
Gillingham 7
Accrington 7
Wimbledon 6
Bradford 6
Harrogate 6
Mansfield 5

Being home & hosed with 20 minutes to go is surely better than chasing a result with 20 minutes to go.

I'm surprised Wrexham have only picked up 8 points which isn't that spectacular given the amount of late pens they get.

BH_Stag is referring to goals scored isn't he?
That would mean Wrexham have scored 8 goals, not gained 8 points
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:06 am

Suttonian wrote:
Sneag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Morecambe 14
Barrow 11
Crewe 10
MK 9
Crawley 9
Wrexham 8
Stockport 7
Gillingham 7
Accrington 7
Wimbledon 6
Bradford 6
Harrogate 6
Mansfield 5

BH_Stag is referring to goals scored isn't he?
That would mean Wrexham have scored 8 goals, not gained 8 points

Ah, sorry I misread that.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:08 am

So Wrexham have scored 8 goals last 20 to change games. So I assume it also mean that 8 games Wrexham have changed their result?

Or are some like say wrexham equalised in the 75th min, conceded again to be losing and then score in the 89th min.

Would be interesting how man goals were to "rescue a point" and how many were to "snatch the 3 points".
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:08 am

gazza1988 wrote:So Wrexham have scored 8 goals last 20 to change games. So I assume it also mean that 8 games Wrexham have changed their result?

Or are some like say wrexham equalised in the 75th min, conceded again to be losing and then score in the 89th min.

Would be interesting how man goals were to "rescue a point" and how many were to "snatch the 3 points".

It says it excludes goals where a team equalised and but then went on to lose.
It also says it includes goals where a team equalised and then scored again to win.
It does say result changing so I assume your scenario would also be covered.
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:35 am

gazza1988 wrote:So Wrexham have scored 8 goals last 20 to change games. So I assume it also mean that 8 games Wrexham have changed their result?

They've won 3 and drawn 3 when coming from behind. 12 points. Don't know how many of those were last 20 minute goals.

Lost 8 times in the 14 games they've gone behind.

We've won 2 and drawn 6 for the same 12 points. Lost 6 times in the 14 games we've gone behind in.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:59 pm

Boateng…best player on the pitch…class. Even some Bradford fans saying he ran the show.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Realitycheck82 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:32 pm

Boateng was outstanding today, its no coincidence that the more game's he plays the sharper he looks! His pressing of the ball and defensive work was top notch today! Quinn's game intelligence is a league above and his desire to win for us is next level!.....super stags@
Realitycheck82
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:37 pm

My 2nd after swan.

Swan denied by two excellent saves
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Realitycheck82 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 pm

The press and intensity of it allows us to win and dictate games......we didn't win a challenge in midfield against mk and tranmere all night!! We had a best starting 11 up until Xmas, now the playing surfaces are like ploughed fields we need a slightly different style of play!
Realitycheck82
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:08 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:My 2nd after swan.

Swan denied by two excellent saves

They were good saves but I think he should have given the keeper no chance with at least one of them - we were 120 yards away though! He had a very good game overall and is back to his best which is huge with just 8 games left. For me Reed was our best player, he won almost everything and is another who is back to his best. It was also one of Boatengs best games for us.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Realitycheck82 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:18 pm

Reed was outstanding for the 1st 30 minutes....he was given the freedom of west Yorkshire!...we will struggle against Colchester!
Realitycheck82
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum