{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tranmere scorefred sponsored by let’s go again again

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tranmere scorefred sponsored by let’s go again again

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:40 pm

Agree, Akins has proved his worth. I do sometimes feel he is better utlised from the bench now and then, but he's certainly no cart horse.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:47 pm

There are certain games with Akins where he's an absolute handful and does so much for us in terms of allowing us to get up the field quickly, with his hold up play being second to none in the division.

On other occasions (rare now but when he first came they were more often than not) he can look like he's forgotten how to play football.

It's on those rare occasions he needs to be taken off sooner, or perhaps is a little jaded at his age and needs more of a rest

I don't think he was particularly bad at all last night, everyone was poor with the stand out players only being a little better than just plain average.

We can't perform like that on Saturday (if it's on) that's for certain.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:33 pm

Disagree with people on Nichols, thought he played well, although agree that Clough is being harsh on Swan. Thought both goals conceded were good strikes although we made it to easy for them to cut in and get the shot off. We weren’t at our best but don’t think we were anywhere near as bad as some people are making out. Onto a big game Saturday if it goes ahead!
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby diablo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:48 pm

broomo wrote:
pemill wrote:DKD on the bench, cart horse always in the starting XI up front. Swan is the real deal but scored last night so will be on the bench come Saturday.

Cloughie has mentioned on a couple of occasions that performances aren't important at this stage of the season, last night just goes to show they are, keep performing like that we won't make the autos. That's the 3rd game in a row that the opposition have sliced through our midfield and got in on goal, either we've been sussed or the system we are playing is too open

The obvious things from last night. we were second to virtually everything, Tranmere were up for it and all over us like a rash, their right winger had the beating of Cargill from the KO the game was crying out for Macca's pace, we missed DKD badly, Maris was off his game very unusual for him, Nicholls was like a fish out of water in the position he played and Reed with his frustrating slowing down the game was driving me to distraction and set the tone for our inept performance.

Arguably we were beaten by the better team, we were on the night but the league position suggests we beat ourselves.

One amusing thing after the game was the little kiddies from Tranmere singing 'top of the league your having a laugh' especially as they are a bottom half table team in 16th position.

Cart horse?

I really do despair over some fans of this club.

LOL...the sad thing is everyone knows who he is referring to....thought Pemills summing up was pretty accurate ...this continual tinkering about with the side is frustrating for many fans and probably for the players as well...why not start with the perceived best team or perhaps in Mr Clough's eyes that is what he is doing..but the plain fact is we are currently not playing as well as we have been or should be..I still think we'll be in League one next year...its the squeaky bum end of the Season
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Roger_Sausage » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:35 pm

MTFC Man wrote:Thought both goals conceded were good strikes although we made it to easy for them to cut in and get the shot off.

The most frustrating thing for me about their second goal was that Apter had already cut inside twice from the right hand side and got a shot in - we'd literally had 2 warnings in close succession before his 3rd attempt hit the net. Deflection or otherwise, we should've been a bit more proactive in dealing with that threat.

I didn't think Nichols was that bad either in fairness to him. He's played in that number 10 role just behind the strikers at previous clubs, so it wasn't like Clough was clutching at straws sticking him there. Some of his runs and movements are really good, it's just others aren't always on the same page. My only criticism of him really would be that he seems to lack strength and gets pushed off the ball really easily, similar to Lewis.
Roger_Sausage
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kernow » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:47 pm

Worst team performance of the season and yes Niholls was very poor
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:07 pm

I hope Stags players don’t read these pages , anyone calling a professional footballer a cart horse should try their training regime, diet and lifestyle before passing a stupid comment like that.I doubt They ever kicked a ball in their life.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:20 pm

CassellsCap wrote:I hope Stags players don’t read these pages , anyone calling a professional footballer a cart horse should try their training regime, diet and lifestyle before passing a stupid comment like that.I doubt They ever kicked a ball in their life.

Well said, it's a stupid thing to say about one of our own players. By all means constructively criticise, but this isn't constructive. If you read this forum over the past 20 hours you'd think we were mid table. It was a poor performance but this scapegoating and singling out the same players by the same "fans" is pathetic.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:30 pm

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
pemill wrote:DKD on the bench, cart horse always in the starting XI up front. Swan is the real deal but scored last night so will be on the bench come Saturday.

Cloughie has mentioned on a couple of occasions that performances aren't important at this stage of the season, last night just goes to show they are, keep performing like that we won't make the autos. That's the 3rd game in a row that the opposition have sliced through our midfield and got in on goal, either we've been sussed or the system we are playing is too open

The obvious things from last night. we were second to virtually everything, Tranmere were up for it and all over us like a rash, their right winger had the beating of Cargill from the KO the game was crying out for Macca's pace, we missed DKD badly, Maris was off his game very unusual for him, Nicholls was like a fish out of water in the position he played and Reed with his frustrating slowing down the game was driving me to distraction and set the tone for our inept performance.

Arguably we were beaten by the better team, we were on the night but the league position suggests we beat ourselves.

One amusing thing after the game was the little kiddies from Tranmere singing 'top of the league your having a laugh' especially as they are a bottom half table team in 16th position.

Cart horse?

LOL...the sad thing is everyone knows who he is referring to....thought Pemills summing up was pretty accurate ...this continual tinkering about with the side is frustrating for many fans and probably for the players as well...why not start with the perceived best team or perhaps in Mr Clough's eyes that is what he is doing..but the plain fact is we are currently not playing as well as we have been or should be..I still think we'll be in League one next year...its the squeaky bum end of the Season

Considering he mentioned DKD and Swan in the same sentence, Nichols has only been here 2 minutes, Oates is injured and Gale doesn't usually make the bench, even an idiot would know who he meant.

Doesn't make him any less nasty with his comment.

Akins is one of the key components of the squad that has us sitting top with 9 games to go.

You still haven't told me where your irrational dislike of Nigel comes from, not even in your DM telling me your reliable source said he was retiring in the Summer no matter what.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:09 pm

Well frustrated at the result but games coming thick and fast, well done to all the fans that travelled it would be a long ride home,.
Looking at Pym both goals were from the edge of the box and again players cutting inside into traffic and getting a shot off.
We had better chances with Maris and DKD both golden chance we did not take, i might have judged Pym harshly as a deflection was made, but did not show on camera.
Team selection easy if we win its right, if we lose its wrong.
Clough said anyone can beat anyone in this league on their day, and some strange results happening,
I thought we might nick a draw but not to be, so we get ready for another hard game.
10 games to go 5 points clear of 4th place, after a bad day at the office 9 games to go 5 points of 4th place,
We need to find form as a team to sustain the pressure coming our way, only nine games to go every one could be vital to our aim of promotion
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:36 am

broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:

Cart horse?

Considering he mentioned DKD and Swan in the same sentence, Nichols has only been here 2 minutes, Oates is injured and Gale doesn't usually make the bench, even an idiot would know who he meant.

Akins is one of the key components of the squad that has us sitting top with 9 games to go.

You still haven't told me where your irrational dislike of Nigel comes from, not even in your DM telling me your reliable source said he was retiring in the Summer no matter what.

Irrational dislike?...I cannot remember saying I disliked Nigel..I find his management style frustrating sometimes with his constant tinkering around of playing players out of position, I don't think I'm alone in that either..other than that, he is what he is i.e. a Manager applying his skills at tier 4 with an excellent Chairman and board supporting him
AS for my contact..it's for me to know and you to wonder at..Closer to the action than you might think and if what he says proves not to be true then fair enough
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:47 am

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:

Cart horse?

Irrational dislike?...I cannot remember saying I disliked Nigel..I find his management style frustrating sometimes with his constant tinkering around of playing players out of position, I don't think I'm alone in that either..other than that, he is what he is i.e. a Manager applying his skills at tier 4 with an excellent Chairman and board supporting him
AS for my contact..it's for me to know and you to wonder at..Closer to the action than you might think and if what he says proves not to be true then fair enough

If he's the same contact who told you Gregory had signed on a free that might give you some kind of idea how close to the action he really is.

NC is NOT retiring.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:14 pm

Thank goodness for that :o
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:47 pm

diablo wrote:AS for my contact..it's for me to know and you to wonder at.

Are we back at school?
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:46 pm

zod wrote:
diablo wrote:AS for my contact..it's for me to know and you to wonder at.

Are we back at school?

No I think he’s just a politician. Please note I haven’t attributed this comment to any political party or persuasion.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:40 pm

Half Time Thoughts

Mansfield made a slow start to the game and Regan Hendry gave Tranmere the lead with a great shot from the left edge of the area in the 12th minute. Will Swan headed Aaron Lewis' cross from the right over the bar. Brad Walker's free kick was tipped over the bar by Christy Pym in the 26th minute. Tranmere should have made it 2-0 in the 27th minute when George Maris was caught in possession in the area when he should have cleared the bar. Fortunately Kieran Morris shot wide.

Mansfield were struggling with two many players giving possession away or losing 50/50 challenges. Rob Apter is causing Baily Cargill plenty of problems down the right and he needs some back up.

However Mansfield raised their game in the last 12 minutes of the half. Aaron Lewis pulled a ball back from the right of the area to George Maris but his shot was blocked on the line. Louis Reed then played one of the assists of the season passing a ball over the right side of the Tranmere defence to Will Swan who beat the onrushing Luke McGee to the ball and knocked it into the corner of the net.

Tom Nichols had probably been the best of the attacking players until Will Swan scored his goal.

Mansfield need to regroup and play a lot better in the 2nd half if they are going to get anything out of this game.

Post Match Thoughts

A disappointing 6th defeat of the season (4 away and 2 at home). Mansfield never really got firing on all cylinders. The Stags did not deserve to win but they had enough chances to come away with a point. Both Tranmere goals were shots from the edge of the area.

I thought at half time that Rob Apter was causing Baily Cargill loads of problems and Jordan Bowery needed to come on to replace Baily Cargill at left back or as part of a back five. Davis Keillor Dunn should also have started. I do not understand the logic of resting your top scorer when you have 9 games left to win promotion.

Mansfield made a slow start to the 2nd half just like at Walsall and Newport and Tranmere could have added to their lead as Rob Aptor continued to have joy down the right. George Maris had been conceding plenty of free kicks and he eventually picked up a yellow card which was followed by another one for Louis Reed. This resulted in George Maris being replaced by Hiram Boateng. Maris never seems to play as well on the left side of midfield.

Rob Apter inevitably cut inside from the right and shot from the edge of the area into the corner of the net to give Tranmere the lead. Nigel Clough said after the game that Christy Pym had it covered but it took a deflection.

Mansfield were now chasing the game and top scorer Davis Keillor Dunn was finally brought on for Aaron Lewis who had given too many balls away and lost the 50/50 challenges. Jordan Bowery also came on for George Williams at right back.

Lewis Brunt looked like a Rolls Royce in the 2nd half as he stormed forward and carried the ball out of defence. He's a quality player.

Mansfield had chances to equalise but did not take them. DKD had a great chance from a counter attack but he shot straight at the keeper. He then had another shot blocked. Will Swan was played in on the left but he shot past the far post. The Stags brought on Stephen Quinn and Stephen McLaughlin in.the 82nd minute and Stephen Quinn had a shot tipped over the bar by keeper Luke McGee.

Mansfield kept coming forward but seemed to run out of ideas on the edge of the area and gave the ball away with poor passing or not controlling the ball. The set pieces and crosses were also poor. We had three corners on the trot with DKD running side to side and they were all scooped to high into the air. Set pieces have not been as good this season as the last two seasons.

A frustrating night. Nigel Clough said afterwards that Mansfield controlled the game. I disagree. It was a fairly even game but we did not control it. I just think he doubled down because he was angry with himself about the changes he made that did not work out.

My MOM was Lewis Brunt again followed by Louis Reed again.

The Tranmere sponsors deservedly gave MOM to Rob Apter. I also thought Connor Jennings played well for them. Jordan Turnbull was strong at the back. He literally picked up and carried Lucas Akins at one point.

We move on to Bradford which will be a tough game on a muddy pitch.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:54 pm

I don't understand the criticism of resting players and "tinkering". With barely chance to take breath between fixtures, players need breaks to keep fresh for the final run-in. Part of that is shuffling formations to suit different setups. It won't always work out, but starting the same eleven every four days is guaranteed disaster.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:28 pm

Hes keeping em fresh for the Play Offs Bradders...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:40 pm

If you are going to rest DKD would it be better to play him against Tranmere on a decent pitch and then rest him against Bradford on a mud heap?

Hopefully DKD will play well tomorrow and bang in a hat trick to prove Nigel Clough right.

All to play for and ours to win.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:03 am

Bradders wrote:I don't understand the criticism of resting players and "tinkering". With barely chance to take breath between fixtures, players need breaks to keep fresh for the final run-in. Part of that is shuffling formations to suit different setups. It won't always work out, but starting the same eleven every four days is guaranteed disaster.

In previous seasons we've given players time off from training and it hurt us.

Notice how we've really cut back on injuries since we started rotating and we've gone from 2nd/3rd and a handful of points off top to being 2 or 3 points clear at the top. The only real injury we've had is Clarke took a whack to his knee and Boateng took a whack to the ribs. We've seen players such as Akins benefit from the rest, not a dig at him but to me there is a huge difference to the quantity of the quality he shows when you compare AKins after 3 starts in a row and Akins after not having to play a full game. Similar with Quinn as well.

Yes we've lost a couple recently. We are still top though.

Could be related to his injury against Wimbledon but Flint has started to falter a bit. Still streets ahead of this league but noticed he's not performing as highly (still very high just not as high)

Edit - forgot to add: THis could be down to Stockport turning rubbish, however we have increased the gap of 4th.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum