{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Swindon scorefred sponsored by let’s go again

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Swindon scorefred sponsored by let’s go again

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:54 pm

Now that was a win!

Though the best player of the first half by a mile was boateng, absolutely legend but tired 2nd half which probably adds value as to why brunt got MOM.

Surprised clarke didn’t start but made a massive difference when he did.

We needed to win that game and the grit by the players and also the fans when the ridiculous number of 8 minutes went up was just an example of invested we all were.

Feel it’s 3 from 4 with crewe losing at doncaster
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:55 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:Deserved the win but got it the hard way, reminded me more of previous seasons instead of the efficiency in which we have dispatched teams and managed games this term. Still, it’s the business end of the season now and it’s all about the results.

Brunt deserved his man of the match, he got us out a trouble a few times with some great last ditch blocks and challenges. Akins was excellent and his finish was so composed. DKD is starting to remind me of Iyseden Christie, he’s not quite the mystery wrapped inside a riddle inside an enigma as Iyseden was but he can go from the infuriatingly frustrating to the sublime. He certainly seems to get on Clough’s nerves more than any other player. He copped for a right roasting again today.

The midfield looked much improved when Clarke and Maris came on. Their second goal stared from a misplaced cross by Akins and from that moment Boateng just didn’t have the legs to get back and the had a huge amount of space to operate in without anyone getting a challenge in.

Great character though to be pegged back twice and still find the win. We have a real chance to pile the pressure on Stockport now who don’t play until Thursday when the visit Salford, then no Saturday game for them as they travel to Crawley on the Monday and then finally the are back at home the following Saturday against MK Dons with a 5:15 kick off. Do our job and they will be playing a demoralising game of catch up.

A great summary, absolutely bang on, saved me a job so I can concentrate on my Pinot Noir :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:57 pm

adamstag wrote:Now that was a win!

Though the best player of the first half by a mile was boateng, absolutely legend but tired 2nd half which probably adds value as to why brunt got MOM.

We needed to win that game and the grit by the players and also the fans when the ridiculous number of 8 minutes went up was just an example of invested we all were.

Said after 15 minutes that Boateng knew he was off after 60 minutes . He was everywhere first half and it was obvious he was pacing himself to play for an hour or so. You can’t keep up that work rate and still be effective for 90 + minutes.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:03 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
adamstag wrote:Now that was a win!

Said after 15 minutes that Boateng knew he was off after 60 minutes . He was everywhere first half and it was obvious he was pacing himself to play for an hour or so. You can’t keep up that work rate and still be effective for 90 + minutes.

And did he, he was everywhere!

Shows the quality of depth we’ve got currently
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:20 pm

Great win. Very happy to see our resiliency in scoring twice after being pegged back. Thought Swindon had a bit about them going forwards to be fair to them but they was to be expected - they’ve scored a lot of goals this season! We had an xG of 3.60 today, which must be one of our highest of the season so far.

Thought DKD and Brunt were very good today and Boateng in the first half in particular was fantastic, especially off of the ball - he made several really good challenges, as well as one really good sliding interception in our penalty box in the first half when Swindon got to the byline and cut one back to their player. Seen quite a few fans say that Boateng is lazy/doesn’t tackle which I’ve always thought was wrong and unfair. Glad he’s proving those people wrong.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:23 am

gazza1988 wrote:Maris Clarke and Swan replace Boateng, Quinn and Nichols

And this is why we will win the league.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagstown » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:15 am

A very valuable 3 points,like a few have already said we should have been out of sight after the first half.Swindon were so passive in the first half they must have had a rocket at half time as they caused us lots of problems 2nd half ,particularly there no 7.Nigel again surprised people with his line up and Hiram had a really good first Half.Id never start without at least one of Maris or Clarke,there everything you want in a midfielder they get up and down the park, they can pick a pass,they can tackle and get you a goal,They also have the hunger and desire which in particular Ollie has in bucket loads.plenty of character shown by the whole team yesterday to get the job done.
Stagstown
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:23 am

Thought the weak link in the defence yesterday was Cargill. Yes he linked well with Quinn when attacking down the left in the first half but second half his defending was poor.
However during the warm up before the first half I thought he was limping and had hurt himself. I can see him being rested on Tuesday.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:23 am

Clarke is always the first name on my teamsheet but the Manager must know what he's doing.....just grind out the results Mr Clough and we will get there. There may be only 9 games left but everyone else is running out of games to catch us too
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:24 am

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Maris Clarke and Swan replace Boateng, Quinn and Nichols

And this is why we will win the league.

I have been saying for a while now that if you look at the 18 we are naming for each match, any of those on the bench could start without weakening the eleven on the pitch. Any of our subs would get a start in most other L2 clubs. We don't have a first XI and some backups, we have a squad that is quality throughout.
This is why it makes me laugh when the experts on here pull apart the starting lineup week after week as soon as it is announced. Clough is seeing these players all week in training and has all their fitness data. He knows who has a knock or a strain, and who is tired and only at 75% or 90%. His teams are based on that, and in cases like this week, his planned team for tuesday as well.
He isn't the messiah (yet) but he is an experienced football manager and has built the best squad Mansfield has ever had, which is now sitting top of the league. One day, even our most stubborn self-righteous fans might acknowledge that he knows what he is doing.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:27 am

part time pete wrote:Thought the weak link in the defence yesterday was Cargill. Yes he linked well with Quinn when attacking down the left in the first half but second half his defending was poor.
However during the warm up before the first half I thought he was limping and had hurt himself. I can see him being rested on Tuesday.

I agree, Cargill was off the pace when defending. Swindon must have spotted his lack of pace and directed most of their second half moves down their right side, I expected to see Macca on at the 60 mine mark and was surprised we didn't. Bowery came on and moved Cargill more centrally.

Mom, most certainly Brunt.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am

part time pete wrote:Thought the weak link in the defence yesterday was Cargill. Yes he linked well with Quinn when attacking down the left in the first half but second half his defending was poor.

Gunning said in his interview (which I thought was one of the best I've heard this season btw) that they knew Cargill was a CB playing at left back so Swindon targetted their attacks down his flank.

Once we shifted to a back 5 the threat did seem greatly diminished.

If Bowery has been yargetted in the same way by other managers it only goes to show what an excellent job he's done as RB & LB.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:23 am

broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:Much more anxious for us than it needed to be. We should have been out of sight after the first 20 minutes.

Slightly unfortunate with their 1st but credit to them, they never stopped playing and looked a threat for most of the last 70 minutes.

We wasted too many chances and none clearer than George Maris's effort to put us 4-2 up.

Thought Clarke and Maris did really well when they came on, especially as by then the game was frantic.

Massive 3 points, lovely to bounce back, we've now scored 27 in the last 10 games, 12 more than any of the top 6 but blimey we make it difficult for ourselves at times.

We pulled that one out of the bag just...Manager playing tinker man again...he could have started Maris and/or Clarke instead of Boetang and he just can't resist bringing Bowery on to go defensive near the end..although I was surprised he made the change at 66 minutes instead of 60...a tough 3 points that should have been easier ,Swindon a very average side, very slow out of the blocks but we let them back into the game but fortunately they didn't take full advantage.. good 3 points

Nice to get your thoughts. As one of our longer standing fans I enjoyed reading that ;)

See you at the promotion party....thought the build up for our goals was excellent by the way
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby TheMyTStags » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:31 am

Sneag wrote:

Gunning said in his interview (which I thought was one of the best I've heard this season btw) that they knew Cargill was a CB playing at left back so Swindon targetted their attacks down his flank.

Once we shifted to a back 5 the threat did seem greatly diminished.

If Bowery has been yargetted in the same way by other managers it only goes to show what an excellent job he's done as RB & LB.

It's good logic from their manager. CBs tend to be much poorer at 1v1 defending than wing backs. However Cargills quality means not many can take advantage of it, can only remember Peterborough and Swindon doing so. I was confused watching them during the game as I thought their LWB looked their best player yet they never gave him the ball
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stagstown » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:32 am

There 7 Elbouzedi gave Cargill a torrid time 2nd half and Baily is a very good player.Hopefully if we go up he’d be a quality signing for us if we could get him from Swindon,obviously I can’t see that happening but you never know in football
Stagstown
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:38 am

SelstonStag88 wrote:I firmly stand behind last weeks comments, Williams plays far far far to deep when we have possession. There left sided player had acres to turn and run at us before the ball was played out for the cross and goal. Subs now please

It was Elbozoudi on the right hand side that caused the problems for Baily Cargill which was why Jordan Bowery had to come on to help him out. Stephen Quinn is great building attacks and provided some lovely crosses but he's not as good on the defensive cover side.

Overall I thought George Williams had a good game. He's not as good as Jordan Bowery in getting up and down the pitch but he's a better defender although Jordan's pace at the back and height is very useful. George Williams can also deliver a good cross. He's also very positive and is always talking to the other players and trying to organise. We have three good right backs.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:05 pm

A great 3 points for the Stags who made hard work of it. We should have had the game wrapped up in the 1st half but did not take our chances. Similar to Walsall away. I think it was around 5-2 on chances. It was not pretty towards the end but we got the job done.

My MOM was Lewis Brunt for the third match running. Aden Flint also played well after having a below average game for him on Tuesday night. He possibly should have been marking Drinan for the 2nd Swindon goal although he seemed to think Baily Cargill should have headed Elbozoudi's cross it before it reached Drinan.

George Williams played well at right back. Baily Cargill had a very good 1st half down the left but Elbouzedi caused him a few more problems in the 2nd half and created both Swindon goals. Jordan Bowery had to come on and help him out.

Lewis Reed was very good in front of the back four against his former club and got his foot in to break up the Swindon attacks. He was involved in the 1st goal and it was his interception that resulted in the winning goal.

Stephen Quinn delivered some lovely crosses from the left in the 1st half that would have resulted in more goals if Tom Nichols was a foot taller .Hiram Boateng missed a good chance early on but made a couple of good defensive interceptions in the 1st half.

George Maris was very good as a 2nd half sub. He looked after the ball and calmed things down when required. He was unlucky not to get a 10th goal of the season when his shot was cleared off the line. Ollie Clarke added some much needed drive and aggression and delivered a great left footed cross for the winner. He's delivered a few good left footed crosses that have resulted in goals in the last few seasons.

DKD scored a great 18th goal of the season and also had an assist but frustratingly gave the ball away at times. You can never knock his work rate though and he's always likely to get you a goal or set one up. Lucas Akins was very good up front and answered his Tuesday critics with a great goal. He could have had a hat trick. He's now on 13 goals for the season. Unfortunately his pull back from the left resulted in Swindon's 2nd goal.

Tom Nichols did not seem to involved as much as the other forwards but he was involved in the build up to the 1st goal and got the assist for DKD's goal. He had one snap shot at goal in the 1st half. I thought Will Swan's winner was a magnificent header into the corner despite him saying he did not catch it right. He's now on 8 goals for the season and he hardly featured before January.

Always nice to beat Swindon who have proved to be difficult opponents over the years. We should have beaten them at the County Ground but Aaron Lewis, DKD and Lucas Akins missed good chances that day when Lewis Brunt was my MOM again.

Enjoy the weekend.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:12 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Clarke is always the first name on my teamsheet but the Manager must know what he's doing.....just grind out the results Mr Clough and we will get there. There may be only 9 games left but everyone else is running out of games to catch us too

Think its 10
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:16 pm

The One wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Clarke is always the first name on my teamsheet but the Manager must know what he's doing.....just grind out the results Mr Clough and we will get there. There may be only 9 games left but everyone else is running out of games to catch us too

Think its 10

Yes you're right of course, I had 37 in my head.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:57 pm

This is what I said leaving Field Mill yesterday, every time we win it's another game where nobody is gaining ground on us. Results didn't go for us but we are a little bit closer to the finish line with each 3 points regardless.

Agree on Clarke too, he should be starting as should Maris. I would be starting with the team we had on the pitch after we made the triple substitution.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:59 pm

Bradders wrote:It's great that we managed 3 points, but the league table is painful to study. With a win last Tuesday we could have been 11 points clear of 4th place, rather than a measly 5.

I agree. Even a point last Tuesday would have kept them well adrift. (8 points ) Really hope it doesn't come back to bite us.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags Head Stags » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:22 pm

It’s effectively 6 with the goal difference we have over the others.
Stags Head Stags
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm

Glad to see Boateng involved
When he first came he oozed quality but seem to fall away a bit till recently
Good player fir us and hope he stays and becomes a regular
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:53 pm

Louis Reed has been very good in recent weeks, his role seems to have changed from playmaker to breaking up the oppositions attacks.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:22 pm

Thought Tom Nichols wasn’t quite good enough yesterday but when watching the highlights noticed he was integral in both our first two goals by providing a brilliant pass to DKD for both goals.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum