{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough & Lewis press conference, Tue 27 Feb

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough & Lewis press conference, Tue 27 Feb

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:33 pm

now on iFollow
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Clough & Lewis press conference, Tue 27 Feb

Postby broomo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:07 pm

Good listen.

I particularly enjoyed the new Ozzie (Kiwi?) lad at the end. Some different ways of asking the same questions. Thought he was very good even though Nige pretty much straight batted them all back.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby mhs » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:37 pm

I never like to hear a manager advocating cheating and I’m surprised that Nigel has done so.
mhs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:21 pm

mhs wrote:I never like to hear a manager advocating cheating and I’m surprised that Nigel has done so.

He didn't.

He did say that if they couldn't tackle Luamba for the goal, then they should have fouled him. That is not cheating.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:16 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
mhs wrote:I never like to hear a manager advocating cheating and I’m surprised that Nigel has done so.

He didn't.

He did say that if they couldn't tackle Luamba for the goal, then they should have fouled him. That is not cheating.

I said exactly the same during the game - should’ve took him down like they did to quinn on the halfway line, similar to the winner tranmere got the other season on the friday night.

Folk like to call it gamesmanship, which for me is a dolled up word for cheating :lol:

Everyone does it so it’s hardly like there’s one specific team benefitting from it.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:24 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

He didn't.

Isn't deliberately breaking the rules cheating?

cheat
verb
act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

It's obviously part of the game and always has been, but it's still cheating. Nevertheless, I agree with Nigel that Luamba should have been taken down :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby mhs » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
He didn't.

What’s the reasoning that intentionally committing a foul is not cheating?
mhs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:47 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

He didn't.

cheat
verb

It's obviously part of the game and always has been, but it's still cheating. Nevertheless, I agree with Nigel that Luamba should have been taken down :lol:

it's part of the game and you get booked or sent off for it. I've been watching the game for 54 years and I've never heard committing a foul called cheating.

To me cheating is trying to con the ref, so for example diving to get a penalty I would describe as cheating. Not committing a foul.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:50 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:19 pm

I was advocating kicking Luamba over the Bishop Street stand after about 10 minutes, so I’m fine with it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:21 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

He didn't.

Oh I see Martin, so the players should have accidentally tripped him over by genuinely trying to play the ball? That's ok.

Because if they'd attempted to play the man, not the ball, that would be cheating. It's called a tactical foul where the perpetrator gains a competitive advantage through not playing to the rules of the game, same as shrit pulling or diving.

Just to be clear....
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:32 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

He didn't.

Oh I see Martin, so the players should have accidentally tripped him over by genuinely trying to play the ball? That's ok.

Because if they'd attempted to play the man, not the ball, that would be cheating. It's called a tactical foul where the perpetrator gains a competitive advantage through not playing to the rules of the game, same as shrit pulling or diving.

Just to be clear....

nonsense. Fouling a player and getting booked is not the same as diving in the area to try to win a penalty. Diving is plainly cheating.

I defy anybody to find any edition of Match of the Day over the last 30 years, just for example, where any pundit calls fouling a player "cheating".

I can think of many occasions where diving in the area has been described as cheating on that programme.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Gruff » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:37 pm

Surely, a foul is identified in the rules of football... so is recognised and not cheating.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:50 pm

Nonsense to you. An unlawful competitive advantage through fouling is as much cheating as an unlawful competitive advantage being gained by any other means anywhere else on the pitch.

Why isn't stopping a goal illegally viewed the same as trying to score a goal illegally.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:53 pm

I wonder if we miss out on promotion by a goal people have the same thoughts on 'cheating'
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:54 pm

I get it's not all black and white. We've never been any good at the dark arts like time wasting, going down easily under minimal contact to con the ref, or feigning injury.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:12 pm

Its simple to me you see a player going to score a goal and you take him out ,then you get booked or sent off thats not cheating
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Ralphy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:25 pm

Jeez we must be winning if this is stagsnet at the moment :D :D
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Elkesley Stag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:49 pm

broomo wrote:Good listen.

I particularly enjoyed the new Ozzie (Kiwi?) lad at the end. Some different ways of asking the same questions. Thought he was very good even though Nige pretty much straight batted them all back.

Who was the Ozzie / kiwi and who was he working for ?
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:54 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

He didn't.

cheat
verb

it's part of the game and you get booked or sent off for it. I've been watching the game for 54 years and I've never heard committing a foul called cheating.

To me cheating is trying to con the ref, so for example diving to get a penalty I would describe as cheating. Not committing a foul.

I'm sure you've been following the blue card debate, had Luamba been taken out under those rules that's what would have happened. If you look at why the blue card has been suggested it is to eliminate cheating. I'll add I am opposed to the blue card but do understand why they want to do something about it. For me the difference between a cynical foul like this and diving is very minimal - though let's be honest if we gain from either most won't bat an eyelid :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:59 pm

Gruff wrote:Surely, a foul is identified in the rules of football... so is recognised and not cheating.

Diving is too, so by your definition diving isn't cheating either. It's a very subjective argument and I don't think either side is wrong, it basically depends on how you define what constitutes cheating
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:05 pm

Could it be said that it is only cheating if the ref doesn’t spot the foul or diving and therefore doesn't give a free kick.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:53 pm

What a ridiculous debate this is :lol:

I would wager every player ‘cheats’ at least once a game by some peoples definition.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:59 pm

How can committing a foul be cheating?

Martin has said exactly how it is. Why do people insist
On trying to be controversial. Fouling someone is not
Cheating. If most fouls are given as cheating then god help us
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:45 pm

Is this thread really happening?

If taking him out is cheating then I would advocate cheating. There that’s clear
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum