{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

R.I.P. Stan Bowles

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

R.I.P. Stan Bowles

Postby MOTG » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:43 am

Sadly passed away. A great talented player in his playing days.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: R.I.P. Stan Bowles

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:50 am

Just read a few of the comments regarding his playing days and the one that keeps being repeated is entertainer. Think that’s spot on .Also think being an entertainer accounts for why he only got 5 caps for England
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:13 am

Elkesley Stag wrote:Just read a few of the comments regarding his playing days and the one that keeps being repeated is entertainer. Think that’s spot on .Also think being an entertainer accounts for why he only got 5 caps for England

It was that generation and attitude to all those types who we loved as fans , Bowles, Frank Worthington, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, our own Duncan McKenzie, Rodney Marsh......they didn't fit the coaching manuals and regimens of people like Alf Ramsey, Ron Greenwood, Howard Wilkinson , Don Revie
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Upper West » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:41 am

I saw him play for Carlisle at Tottenham in the FA cup in Jan 1972 and he was by far the best player on the pitch. He scored for Carlisle and Alan Gilzean scored for Spurs. Well earned draw but Spurs won the replay.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:38 pm

I am trying to make this Stags related, did he play against the Stags?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:56 pm

part time pete wrote:I am trying to make this Stags related, did he play against the Stags?

He was in the QPR team that beat us 0-3 in the League Cup in 1979.

He scored & so did Tony Currie.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:12 pm

Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:I am trying to make this Stags related, did he play against the Stags?

that's ok then :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:51 pm

He was way before my time but falls into a category of player that my dad made sure I watched plenty of clips of when he first introduced me to football. Bowles, Currie, Worthington, Osgood and George Best. There was just something classy about them, how they’d glide past players on bogs of pitches whilst having lumps kicked out of them, it was addictive viewing.

Never realised he’d played at Field Mill. The closest I’ve seen to someone like that is when Le Tissier came here with Southampton.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:12 pm

part time pete wrote:
Sneag wrote:

that's ok then :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m waiting for Johnny Rotten to get back from his parkrun and ask if this is Stags related :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:38 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:Just read a few of the comments regarding his playing days and the one that keeps being repeated is entertainer. Think that’s spot on .Also think being an entertainer accounts for why he only got 5 caps for England

It was that generation and attitude to all those types who we loved as fans , Bowles, Frank Worthington, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, our own Duncan McKenzie, Rodney Marsh......they didn't fit the coaching manuals and regimens of people like Alf Ramsey, Ron Greenwood, Howard Wilkinson , Don Revie[/quote
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum