{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Byron pub - still staying as a Stags pub

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The Byron pub - still staying as a Stags pub

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:51 pm

Just seen this on Facebook and thought I’d put it on here as lots of lads on here like a beer and use this pub

“To to let everyone know. The Byron is having new owners from tomorrow. There’s rumours that it’s not going to be a stags supporters pub anymore. This is not true. It’s being kept has it is and all memorabilia is staying up. Please let everyone know this thanks”
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: The Byron pub - still staying as a Stags pub

Postby adamstag » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:04 pm

The landlady there was ace, lovely lady especially for 10am club on a match day.

Only left as her mother skegness way was getting on and wanted to be closer to her.

The pub makes a decent profit saturday, would be daft not to keep itself mansfield town related on match days.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:37 pm

Byron Stags
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:38 pm

Lord Byron
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:10 pm

Was told she is going to a pub in Cleethorpes now.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby WorthingStag » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:27 pm

One of the pubs I frequent when I go to home games, great pub, great news.
WorthingStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:45 pm

WorthingStag wrote:One of the pubs I frequent when I go to home games, great pub, great news.

She is, as said above her mum is getting on.

She got told she couldn’t live in the flat (if she could her mum would’ve moved here) is leaving but apparently the new ones can stop in the flat.

Obviously just going off what’s been said but they’d be daft not to welcome stags patrons on match day as would lose plenty of business.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:08 pm

As a business, you'd have to be incredibly moronic and or arrogant to inherit something embraced by the local football clubs fans and think it needed to change. Looking at you, Paul and Tina Broughton.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:38 pm

I last lived in Mansfield 20 years ago and we used to have our SSC meetings in the original Byron on Quarry Lane. Where is the "new" Byron?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:06 pm

Rob wrote:I last lived in Mansfield 20 years ago and we used to have our SSC meetings in the original Byron on Quarry Lane. Where is the "new" Byron?

The original Byron Rob was further down the river towards the Stags ground on the opposite side of the river.
A ramshackle proper ancient pub that mainly served the quarrymen long before our time!
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:37 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:
Rob wrote:I last lived in Mansfield 20 years ago and we used to have our SSC meetings in the original Byron on Quarry Lane. Where is the "new" Byron?

The original Byron Rob was further down the river towards the Stags ground on the opposite side of the river.
A ramshackle proper ancient pub that mainly served the quarrymen long before our time!

Fair point :lol: Did you know Mansfield was originally called Maunsfield? A chap from Mansfield Museum used to give talks on our towns (a proper town btw) history back in the 70/80s.

So in other words, where is the "current" Byron?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:38 pm

The original byron was a class up at the bottom end of quarry lane.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:53 pm

Rob wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:

Fair point :lol: Did you know Mansfield was originally called Maunsfield? A chap from Mansfield Museum used to give talks on our towns (a proper town btw) history back in the 70/80s.

A decent site here with lots of memories Rob, don't know if you've come across it before?

This discussion has the original Byron where the big steps are now up to Matlock Ave which tallies with the old boys reminiscing when I started going drinking in The Brickyard Club at the top of my street growing up
https://www.ourmansfieldandarea.org.uk/ ... the-arches
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:40 pm

1-2 Market St, Mansfield NG18 1JQ
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby dazstag » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:10 am

The old Byron was where the apartments and houses are now right at the end of quarry lane
dazstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby nigegray » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am

The Byron is set in mansfield market place if you know the rear entrance to the swan pub its directly facing you fron there.
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby lifestags » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:27 am

Is it still cheapest pub in town?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:36 am

No, cornerhouse is. however along with the cheap pint of awful tasting ale, you get a dose of aids walking in.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:59 am

The old Byron used to put up Stags players who weren’t local too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:35 pm

Dan wrote:The old Byron used to put up Stags players who weren’t local too.

Seemed to have a bit of an Irish connection as I know both John Andrews and Gary Tallon spent time there.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:23 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:
Rob wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:

A decent site here with lots of memories Rob, don't know if you've come across it before?

This discussion has the original Byron where the big steps are now up to Matlock Ave which tallies with the old boys reminiscing when I started going drinking in The Brickyard Club at the top of my street growing up

Thanks for the link, I've enjoyed reading some of the articles on it. The chaps name, who will definitely not be with us anymore, escapes me, it was something like Patmore - he did loads of talks to schools and even tours of the Supasave caves.

If the new Byron is on Market Place and I knew all the pubs there, what did it used to be called? Did it become the Byron when the one on Quarry Lane was demolished?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:25 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:No, cornerhouse is. however along with the cheap pint of awful tasting ale, you get a dose of aids walking in.

And when did you last visit either
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:50 pm

Let's all go Corner House tomo and catch Aids...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:12 pm

lifestags wrote:Is it still cheapest pub in town?

Try going in.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:50 pm

Rob wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:
Rob wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:

It was the Bootlicker at one stage Rob, not sure after that.

Thanks for the link, I've enjoyed reading some of the articles on it. The chaps name, who will definitely not be with us anymore, escapes me, it was something like Patmore - he did loads of talks to schools and even tours of the Supasave caves.

If the new Byron is on Market Place and I knew all the pubs there, what did it used to be called? Did it become the Byron when the one on Quarry Lane was demolished?

It was the Bootlicker at one stage Rob, not sure after that.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum