{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FGR scorefred sponsored by Making Vince-meat out of them

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: FGR scorefred sponsored by Making Vince-meat out of them

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:59 pm

A great win for the Stags and my first win at the New Lawn in five visits. 4-0 flattered us though as Nigel Clough said in his post match interview. It was a very tight game until Tom Nichols scored our 2nd goal in the 69th minute and he was just about to be subbed.

Ollie Clarke gave us a great start with a shot from the edge of the after a corner was initially cleared. FGR were then the best side and were unlucky not to be level at half time. I thought Mansfield needed to change it at half time and I would have brought on Lucas Akins on to hold the ball up and occupy their centre halfs although Will Swan and Tom Nichols did not have much service up front. Jordan Bowery was struggling a little at left back against the tricky Dabo and our midfield were being out pressed and were struggling to get on the ball. We were letting their No 5 Ryan Innis advance too far up the pitch on the right. We were sitting too deep and needed to push up the pitch. Steve Cotterill was constantly urging FGR to push up and squeeze the space and they were hustling us off the ball.

Emmanuel Osadebe had a good chance to score just before we broke away and Tom Nichols scored the crucial second goal. Lucas Akins then came on and destroyed the FGR defence to get two assists for the 3rd and 4th goals. He should have had three assists but Hiram Boateng blasted a great chance over the bar.

The former Bristol Rovers and Bristol City players had a good day back in the South West with Ollie Clarke scoring two goals and Tom Nichols scoring on his first league start for the Stags. Ollie Clarke has now scored 15 league goals in 92(30) league starts. He scored 20 league goals for Bristol Rovers in 201(34) league starts.

Aden Flint was immense in defence again and kept a 12th clean sheet. Lewis Brunt was quietly very effective next to him

George Williams had another good game at right back. Jordan Bowery struggled a little in the 1st half against the tricky Dabo but was very good in the 2nd half and so was Lewis Reed.

George Maris had a bit of an off day and could have been ill. He went straight to the dressing room after he was subbed. Davis Keillor Dunn worked very hard. I thought Nigel Clough was a little harsh on him saying that he dropped too deep because he had to drop back and help out in defence in the 1st half when FGR were on top.

Will Swan had a very good game up front and it was good to see him score again. Tom Nichols did not not do a great deal until he scored. I would have brought Lucas Akins on at half time but Nigel Clough was more patient although he was just about to sub him when he scored. Lucas Akins then came on and ran the FGR defence ragged.

If FGR play like they did in the first 60 minutes then they will hopefully take points off our promotion/play off rivals. They have some very good players (McAllister, Doidge, Stevens, Dabo, McCann, Bernard etc) and are a much better football side than Sutton United. It will be a big ask for them to stay up though being effectively 10 points off safety. They will need promotion form.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 pm

All games now are crucial teams fighting for promotion or against relegation, and points will be like gold dust.
we move on from team selection and who plays where, i find it easy leave it to Clough and co.
FGR were tough opposition and our striking ability was clinical it was never a 4=0.
Putting DKD- Swan- Nichols up front was brave but worked and when Akins came on well he was awesome.
Fans looking at team selection its old hat, today its about the squad 19 players in a team not the starting 11.
A lot can change during a game with 5 players available from the bench..
3 points away from home is a very good result, Clough shows a lot of faith in his players, and its nice when they show respect to the fans, even the negatives.
Strange some fans planning for League 1 already no wonder disappointment stains their lives, One Game At A Time.
Pragmatic If We Fail This Season We Go Again Next,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Half time ifollow stats. We've had 0/0 successful crosses. 0/0 successful dribbles. 2 shots, 1 on target and 0 clear cut chances. 3 corners and 1 offside.

FGR though. 3/15 successful crosses, 4/6 successful dribbles. 9 shots, 1 on target and 0 clear cut chances. 7 corners and 0 offsides.

What’s classed as a successful cross? Surely a cross coming in being headed down by Flint for Clarke to score is successful?!

I thought a defender headed the ball to Clarke and not Flint.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby WorthingStag » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:48 pm

part time pete wrote:
Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Half time ifollow stats. We've had 0/0 successful crosses. 0/0 successful dribbles. 2 shots, 1 on target and 0 clear cut chances. 3 corners and 1 offside.

FGR though. 3/15 successful crosses, 4/6 successful dribbles. 9 shots, 1 on target and 0 clear cut chances. 7 corners and 0 offsides.

What’s classed as a successful cross? Surely a cross coming in being headed down by Flint for Clarke to score is successful?!

And that’s exactly what I saw, Flint didn’t win that header.
WorthingStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:53 pm

part time pete wrote:
Dan wrote:

Either way it still came from a cross.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:43 pm

Dan wrote:
part time pete wrote:
Dan wrote:

I had a good view of this - it was Flint who headed it down.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:
part time pete wrote:
Dan wrote:

I thought it was too as I’d got him in my viewfinder!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:29 pm

broomo wrote:If someone had asked me a year ago if I'd prefer to sign Flint or Keogh I'd probably have picked Keogh. I'd have been badly wrong.

I'm not sure he's going to be the signing they think he is.

Thought he was pretty poor yesterday at fault for at least Swans goal and looked unbelievably slow. Perhaps down to lack of games but more likely time has caught up with him.

Remember we've got no pace in our side according to most on here as well.

I think Keogh’s birth certificate is suspect he looked a really old 37 .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:31 pm

He’s looked about 50 for the past ten years :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:39 pm

Dan wrote:

From "opta event definitions" they define a cross as "A ball played from a wide position targeting a teammate(s) in a central area within proximity to the Goal. The delivery must have an element of lateral movement from a wider position to (a) more central area in front of (the) Goal." Successful crosses must find a teammate. So a good ball in the defender/keeper gets to it by a hairs breadth is "failed" and the overhit cross that is collected by a player running to stop it going out on the left wing is "successful"???

Not sure if our low balls in that hit the first defender count though? I guess not because it isn't into a "central" area because it is blocked before it gets central?

https://www.statsperform.com/opta-event-definitions/ there's the link if you want it. just don't go down to the bottom..... :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:08 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:

From "opta event definitions" they define a cross as "A ball played from a wide position targeting a teammate(s) in a central area within proximity to the Goal. The delivery must have an element of lateral movement from a wider position to (a) more central area in front of (the) Goal." Successful crosses must find a teammate. So a good ball in the defender/keeper gets to it by a hairs breadth is "failed" and the overhit cross that is collected by a player running to stop it going out on the left wing is "successful"???

Not sure if our low balls in that hit the first defender count though? I guess not because it isn't into a "central" area because it is blocked before it gets central?

https://www.statsperform.com/opta-event-definitions/ there's the link if you want it. just don't go down to the bottom..... :lol:

So with this above and Musings post about us losing on xG yesterday having won 4-0 we can safely ignore these types of opinionated stats!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:21 am

Johnny H wrote:He looks unwell........

He needs to be less liberal with the hair gel. Is it plant free?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:24 pm

Superb from Clarke on Saturday. Is he out of contract in the summer?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:21 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:

So with this above and Musings post about us losing on xG yesterday having won 4-0 we can safely ignore these types of opinionated stats!

You can ignore the xG stat if you wish, or you could acknowledge that it accurately reflects what both managers, and most posters have said about the way the game panned out…. :D
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:

You can ignore the xG stat if you wish, or you could acknowledge that it accurately reflects what both managers, and most posters have said about the way the game panned out…. :D

The website I looked at
https://footystats.org/england/mansfiel ... ts#6582497

We won on xG 1.81 to 1.66.
part time pete

Postby Vinnie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:51 pm

victor A block wrote:Superb from Clarke on Saturday. Is he out of contract in the summer?

Only behind Flint in POTS for me. Been brilliant for us.
Vinnie
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:52 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:
part time pete wrote:
Dan wrote:

Why didn’t Flint get an assist?

part time pete

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:19 pm

part time pete wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I had a good view of this - it was Flint who headed it down.

Why didn’t Flint get an assist?

he did here https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1266

The PA reporter said Flint knocked it down (see the main report on this link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68190174 )
But from the live text by the OPTA reporter, (see the same BBC link, text commentary), he doesn't mention it, hence no assist in the OPTA stats.
A simple error.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:28 pm

This is the opta that bookies rely on, they go hand in hand.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:33 pm

Conker wrote:This is the opta that bookies rely on, they go hand in hand.

Last season when Alan Wilson credited a James Gale goal to George Maris and corrected it during the game. The goal was recorded by opta incorrectly and bookies paid out on the wrong goal scorer. The bet is effectively for who the person sat in the stands records as scorer or providing the assist and not what actually happened.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:

:lol: I’ll bring you some straws to clutch tomorrow mate. You said we ‘lost’ on xG yet we won the game 4-0. I think that’s self explanatory just how much raspberrys xG really is ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:28 pm

I’ve been debating this with you long enough now to be sure that you’re deliberately ignoring what the stat is meant to show so I won’t push it any further :D
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve been debating this with you long enough now to be sure that you’re deliberately ignoring what the stat is meant to show so I won’t push it any further :D

Oh go on I love it :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:38 am

Dan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve been debating this with you long enough now to be sure that you’re deliberately ignoring what the stat is meant to show so I won’t push it any further :D

Oh go on I love it :lol: :lol:

I think the next one Dan would be average xG, xG divided by the number of shots.

Maybe they could come up with xG on target and xG off target. xG off target would be my favourite I think. Expected goals from shots off target. Sound right up stat websites street. To show how wasteful a side is.

To be honest I can read Dan's reaction to those stats now :D
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:37 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Conker wrote:This is the opta that bookies rely on, they go hand in hand.

Last season when Alan Wilson credited a James Gale goal to George Maris and corrected it during the game. The goal was recorded by opta incorrectly and bookies paid out on the wrong goal scorer. The bet is effectively for who the person sat in the stands records as scorer or providing the assist and not what actually happened.

They make ridiculous mistakes every weekend, it’s a nightmare getting it overturned and making the bookies pay out on a correct decision.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum