{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Quarry Lane Rd Closure - All home matches from today

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Quarry Lane Rd Closure

Postby stagtastic1 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:58 pm

Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
Dan wrote:What businesses are there on Quarry Lane?

The gate isn’t done on a lawful footing either.

The gym, Milk place, car valet place, loads of units just off it, the lake access by the bridge and the houses

As Dave says the others won’t be affected which they won’t be anyway as they’re all shut at 5pm on a Saturday apart from the gym and people can wait to go in there. It’s the same for Tuesday night games too. So it won’t affect any of the businesses on there apart from a few gym users having to wait 10 minutes. A small price to pay for saving someone’s life/lives.

You are correct regards the businesses being closed on a Tuesday night, however the sea cadets operate on a Tuesday and Thursday evening and parents will be wanting to collect their children.
They do, though finish at 9 so it would depend on the timing of the road closure and the location of the closure to see if it would have any impact on them coming in from Sheepbidge Lane.
stagtastic1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:32 pm

stagtastic1 wrote:
Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:

The gym, Milk place, car valet place, loads of units just off it, the lake access by the bridge and the houses

As Dave says the others won’t be affected which they won’t be anyway as they’re all shut at 5pm on a Saturday apart from the gym and people can wait to go in there. It’s the same for Tuesday night games too. So it won’t affect any of the businesses on there apart from a few gym users having to wait 10 minutes. A small price to pay for saving someone’s life/lives.

You are correct regards the businesses being closed on a Tuesday night, however the sea cadets operate on a Tuesday and Thursday evening and parents will be wanting to collect their children.
They do, though finish at 9 so it would depend on the timing of the road closure and the location of the closure to see if it would have any impact on them coming in from Sheepbidge Lane.

As I have said earlier in the thread, the closure point on Saturday was in the narrow section in front of the houses, after the industrial areas. As long as they come in from the Sheepbridge Lane end it will have no impact.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby stagtastic1 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:00 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
stagtastic1 wrote:
Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:

As I have said earlier in the thread, the closure point on Saturday was in the narrow section in front of the houses, after the industrial areas. As long as they come in from the Sheepbridge Lane end it will have no impact.

Thank you.
stagtastic1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby eggy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:58 am

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2024 ... ad-closed/

Supporters should be aware that a Temporary Traffic Restriction Order (TTRO) will be applied to Quarry Lane from today’s home game against Salford and for all future home matches following a successful application.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:00 pm

This means that Quarry Lane will be closed from Portland Street to Highfield Way (entrance to the Industrial Estate) from 4:15pm until approximately 5:15pm.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Re: Quarry Lane Rd Closure - All home matches from today

Postby Amber Ad » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:23 pm

Good call
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm

And I still nearly got run over by cars coming out of the quarry lane track and then having to stop at the barrier at Highfield Way.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Stoney » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:28 pm

part time pete wrote:And I still nearly got run over by cars coming out of the quarry lane track and then having to stop at the barrier at Highfield Way.

I didn't go today but I had the same issue a few games back when they closed it. I was walking slightly into the road as it was fully closed off but then cars started driving into fans coming out of the gym at the end of Quarry Lane.

I think it's needed and it's great that it's closed but vehicles should be stopped from coming out of the gym for 10 to 15 minutes whilst the Field Mill crowd has fully cleared.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:20 am

part time pete wrote:And I still nearly got run over by cars coming out of the quarry lane track and then having to stop at the barrier at Highfield Way.

Where's the Quarry Lane track?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:56 am

Dan wrote:

I think he means the old unmade road that serviced the old stone quarry at the other side of the dam.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:01 am

Closing the gym isn't really viable. The issue is the people parking right outside, which is now resolved.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:19 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:

I think he means the old unmade road that serviced the old stone quarry at the other side of the dam.

Yes - it is covered by Stags fans' cars on match days
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:29 am

I commented on this at the previous match, but what made it worse this time is that rather than just driving the same direction as people walking up to the barrier heading towards Sheepbridge, one couple in a big 4x4 were driving towards town so into the face of everyone on foot. One guy actually walked right up to the front of the car and stopped it, and the woman driving had a look of "what have I done wrong?" on her face.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:59 am

Needs to have barriers to stop them parking there. Did stop them a few years ago
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:05 am

yellowstagsfan wrote:Needs to have barriers to stop them parking there. Did stop them a few years ago

Yup, as you said it had them a few years ago. Until the idiot removed them and cleared the quarry site to try and force planning permission. Hopefully they get replaced.

There was a female driver of a Range Rover driving slowly, towards supporters, from that direction. She seemed incredibly embarrassed.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:36 am

The club should put "road closed" signs to stop the Gregory Quarry lane drivers from attempting to drive down the closed road. It caused obvious embarrassment for the carload yesterday, but it seems to happen every match. Ideally they'd prevent parking there, but I guess that it's complicated. Maybe they could ask the council to declare the bridge unsafe for vehicles.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:57 am

Like they have put up barriers at the end of quarry lane, why can’t they put up barriers on the entrance to the quarry track and remove them at approximately 5.15pm
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:30 am

part time pete wrote:Like they have put up barriers at the end of quarry lane, why can’t they put up barriers on the entrance to the quarry track and remove them at approximately 5.15pm

Without reading the traffic order we can only speculate but my best guess is that they haven’t made a very good job of wording the order. The track is a separate road which probably has Ancient Highway status. That basically means it’s still a public road for access but isn’t maintained to the same level by the highway authority (Notts CC). To be able to close it you would either need to include it into the new order or make a separate order for the Quarry road. If it was indeed included in the new order it could simply be closed with barriers during the relevant hours with no further legislation. If it wasn’t then I suspect it will need either an amendment or a new order. Of course they could just wait and see what develops as I’m pretty sure those who currently park there won’t in the future as they won’t want to wait until the road opens to get out and forcing their way through crowds probably put them off.

Some may argue that it could be closed without legislation as Quarry Lane is closed because of the new order but I wouldn’t agree. Most orders have standard exemptions if there is no alternative route which would be the case here. The exemption argument could also be made for cars leaving the gym if there was no specific clause in the order and possibly for users travelling into the gym during closure times.

Of course this is only opinion and the ultimate decision would be made by a court. The bottom line is of course that it’s dangerous and cars shouldn’t drive through the crowds irrespective of an order being in place.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Upper West » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 am

Like they have put up barriers at the end of quarry lane, why can’t they put up barriers on the entrance to the quarry track and remove them at approximately 5.15pm

There was a road closed sign outside the gym and no cars were coming out.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:58 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:Like they have put up barriers at the end of quarry lane, why can’t they put up barriers on the entrance to the quarry track and remove them at approximately 5.15pm

Without reading the traffic order we can only speculate but my best guess is that they haven’t made a very good job of wording the order. The track is a separate road which probably has Ancient Highway status. That basically means it’s still a public road for access but isn’t maintained to the same level by the highway authority (Notts CC). To be able to close it you would either need to include it into the new order or make a separate order for the Quarry road. If it was indeed included in the new order it could simply be closed with barriers during the relevant hours with no further legislation. If it wasn’t then I suspect it will need either an amendment or a new order. Of course they could just wait and see what develops as I’m pretty sure those who currently park there won’t in the future as they won’t want to wait until the road opens to get out and forcing their way through crowds probably put them off.

Some may argue that it could be closed without legislation as Quarry Lane is closed because of the new order but I wouldn’t agree. Most orders have standard exemptions if there is no alternative route which would be the case here. The exemption argument could also be made for cars leaving the gym if there was no specific clause in the order and possibly for users travelling into the gym during closure times.

Of course this is only opinion and the ultimate decision would be made by a court. The bottom line is of course that it’s dangerous and cars shouldn’t drive through the crowds irrespective of an order being in place.

There was one sensible person who had started to move their car then realised at the end of the lane, and was patiently sat waiting till the crowds cleared. Sadly, not everyone is blessed with the same common sense.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:00 pm

Scothie the Stag wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:Needs to have barriers to stop them parking there. Did stop them a few years ago

Yup, as you said it had them a few years ago. Until the idiot removed them and cleared the quarry site to try and force planning permission. Hopefully they get replaced.

There was a female driver of a Range Rover driving slowly, towards supporters, from that direction. She seemed incredibly embarrassed.

That's the one I was talking about. She may have looked incredibly embarassed, but seemed to lack the brain power to realise that stopping was the obvious best option !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum