{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FGR fred sponsored by GAME OFF

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: FGR fred sponsored by GAME OFF

Postby victor A block » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:42 am

Slackythestag wrote:Time for the supporters clubs and fans to ask the club what is needed to improve the care and maintenance for the pitch and donate. This is where the SSA need to stand up and ask questions, instead of sitting back. They are the main supporters club, why are they not offering to get involved with helping with this issue which is causing many games to be cancelled.

All that money spent on a fancy canopy and we can't even stand under it on a matchday with the amount of games called off :lol:

We cannot carry on with games being called off as pathetically as this one has been tonight. I pray this is not a cold and harsh winter otherwise our pitch may cost us promotion.

Also whilst I'm at it, why is the communication from the club so poor? As fans we have every right to ask questions and challenge the club if we feel something doesn't seem right, the amount of games being cancelled is raising alarm bells, why has nothing been done about it, this has been a continous issue for years (games being postponed). Yet the club almost seems to panic every home game which is cancelled and tries to justify the odd decision.

On the pitch we are superb and we are getting sell out games. But why is the club so shoddy in certain areas, who is running the club seriously? The radfords must be livid.

This. Who is actually running the club on a day to day basis?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 am

For clarity, I'm not saying they should have held the inspection earlier, but perhaps communicate that there will be an inspection sooner than they did. Waiting until 2.30 to announce an inspection planned for 3.30 seems a bit unfair to supporters who have to travel long distances or make arrangements for childcare, work, and so on. I don't see how some find this so contentious.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:11 am

gavinbrookes wrote:For clarity, I'm not saying they should have held the inspection earlier, but perhaps communicate that there will be an inspection sooner than they did. Waiting until 2.30 to announce an inspection planned for 3.30 seems a bit unfair to supporters who have to travel long distances or make arrangements for childcare, work, and so on. I don't see how some find this so contentious.

I think that the reaction of some has been so over the top that others have become defensive. There has a lot of discussion over previous months about the lack of planning within the club for how they make significant decisions. There doesn't seem to be anyone who is taking a step back and considering how things impact on all fans and the club's reputation. The timing of the initial announcements for the inspections before two out of three game postponements have all felt a bit odd and poorly thought out.

I suspect the criticism has been seen as contentious because it has been in the same thread and FB posts as those slating the club as tinpot, calling for Mez and the team to be sacked, calling for radford to start putting his hand in his pocket etc.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:42 am

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:Some on here are missing the point (points?). Okay, the weather can't be helped, but...

The late postponements contribute to the sense that supporters are being treated wirh contempt. As others have said, the facilities at the ground are awful as is (much, much better at Morecambe for example - i was embarrassed by FM when taking my partner to an away game for the first time...), and the late postponement gives me the impression the club leaves it as late as possible to announce inspections in order to cash in on ticket and ifolllow purchases on the day. Just no consideration at all for those who have to travel and make arrangements. If an inspection is scheduled, say so.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, the postponements will hurt us on the pitch. Sutton at the weekend is bound to be suspended. In isolation, FGR and Sutton are not particularly difficult games. However, they become much more challenging when they have to be fit in mid-week in the run-in (and, of course, give us a much shorter recovery time than our opposition for the following games).

So much right on the pitch, yet so, so much wrong off it.
There is plenty of time for the game to go ahead on Saturday.

Agreed, I think Saturday will be on.

I don’t know. We know by now that if there’s just a bit of doubt about the weather, we’ll be off. Hope I’m proven wrong!
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:50 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:For clarity, I'm not saying they should have held the inspection earlier, but perhaps communicate that there will be an inspection sooner than they did. Waiting until 2.30 to announce an inspection planned for 3.30 seems a bit unfair to supporters who have to travel long distances or make arrangements for childcare, work, and so on. I don't see how some find this so contentious.

I think that the reaction of some has been so over the top that others have become defensive. There has a lot of discussion over previous months about the lack of planning within the club for how they make significant decisions. There doesn't seem to be anyone who is taking a step back and considering how things impact on all fans and the club's reputation. The timing of the initial announcements for the inspections before two out of three game postponements have all felt a bit odd and poorly thought out.

I suspect the criticism has been seen as contentious because it has been in the same thread and FB posts as those slating the club as tinpot, calling for Mez and the team to be sacked, calling for radford to start putting his hand in his pocket etc.

Yes, agree on all counts!
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:53 am

Im still disappointed the game was cancelled but still only 1 game in hand and still in the top 3, it is what it is.
Mansfield Town is just a small club in Nottinghamshire that has been around the lower leagues and even non-league.
It is a well run club and is finding fans coming back , success on the field leading to a promotion is the aim.
The pitch and ground needs attention and with more fans catering and the club shop needs to be bigger.
Being a 3 sided ground Bishop St has become famous often mentioned by the fans.
The academy is also about the clubs future, and stability feels good.
With a capacity of about 9000, money has to be spent wisely, climbing the football league can be expensive.
The club needs to be self supporting and this would still need financial support by the owners.
What comes first players or the infrastructure, both go hand in hand, its a difficult one ! million on a new striker, or 1 million on Desso synthetic with underfloor heating.
And we still have a 3 sided ground, with only 9000 capacity.
Who would be a owner , i miss a game its a price to pay.
1 step at a time for the stadium, one game at a time for the players,
This is still the favourite football club for thousands
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:55 am

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:Some on here are missing the point (points?). Okay, the weather can't be helped, but...

The late postponements contribute to the sense that supporters are being treated wirh contempt. As others have said, the facilities at the ground are awful as is (much, much better at Morecambe for example - i was embarrassed by FM when taking my partner to an away game for the first time...), and the late postponement gives me the impression the club leaves it as late as possible to announce inspections in order to cash in on ticket and ifolllow purchases on the day. Just no consideration at all for those who have to travel and make arrangements. If an inspection is scheduled, say so.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, the postponements will hurt us on the pitch. Sutton at the weekend is bound to be suspended. In isolation, FGR and Sutton are not particularly difficult games. However, they become much more challenging when they have to be fit in mid-week in the run-in (and, of course, give us a much shorter recovery time than our opposition for the following games).

I hope so, but I'm doubtful. It's the night before rather than the day of which is the issue, and the inspection will likely take place in the morning / midday latest.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:58 am

gavinbrookes wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I hope so, but I'm doubtful. It's the night before rather than the day of which is the issue, and the inspection will likely take place in the morning / midday latest.

Yep. It’s going to reach 5 degrees on Saturday afternoon, but we’ll do the dreaded pitch inspection between 9:00-10:00 am won’t we, just before the temperature rises well clear of 0 degrees. It’s currently forecast to be 0 degrees through the very early hours of Saturday morning. It’s going to be off.

It was 2-3 degrees for most of yesterday and we couldn’t get it to thaw out for an evening game. Absolutely no chance that we can for a morning pitch inspection.
Last edited by Cleveland_Stag on Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:59 am

A lot of the racing this week has been postponed including meetings on Thursday and Friday
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:26 pm

It's a no win situation, damned if they do, damned if they don't.
The only people who knew the state of the pitch were those carrying out the inspection.

Some people tend to forget we are a small L2 club with limited resources, it's great to see crowds of 6000+ but it isn't that long ago they were sub 3500, maybe there will be more cash available to spend on the pitch close season but at the end of the day you can't control the weather.

Running a business isn't easy and decisions have to be made, I would take promotion to L1 any day of the week compared to a few games being postponed per season.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:45 pm

They will do everything possible to get the game on. NC will be desperate for it to be played. He won't want a week without a game or fixture back log.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:52 pm

As has been said by numerous posters, it's about communication. I was travelling from North Yorkshire and no mention of a pitch inspection meant I set off at 1.30pm. I arrive at 3pm to hear there is now a pitch inspection. It's just terrible communication.
And I'd also like to know who is running the club? After David Sharpe left, I assumed the Radfords were now more hands on? Is that the case?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Colchester Stag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
Great Post and at the risk of feeling the wrath of the same old few on here I also wonder why the SSA never challenge anything club wise.
They obviously do great work that we all see but are very passive ....

"They don't challenge anything." They sit there like nodding dogs.
Colchester Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Colchester Stag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:55 pm

1970Stag wrote:As has been said by numerous posters, it's about communication. I was travelling from North Yorkshire and no mention of a pitch inspection meant I set off at 1.30pm. I arrive at 3pm to hear there is now a pitch inspection. It's just terrible communication.
And I'd also like to know who is running the club? After David Sharpe left, I assumed the Radfords were now more hands on? Is that the case?

How can they be hands-on in Portugal?
Colchester Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Paulstag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:56 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:
Great Post and at the risk of feeling the wrath of the same old few on here I also wonder why the SSA never challenge anything club wise.

Now you are for it.
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:56 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

And your evidence of this is........?
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:57 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:As has been said by numerous posters, it's about communication. I was travelling from North Yorkshire and no mention of a pitch inspection meant I set off at 1.30pm. I arrive at 3pm to hear there is now a pitch inspection. It's just terrible communication.

tbf an interesting question, who does run the club on a day to day basis ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 pm

Officially, isn't Carolyn back doing the job that Sharpey did?

That's what it said in the press release from when he left wasn't it?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:27 pm

I think If CR doesn't go to the ground and into her office for the day regularly then shes not running the club "hands on" ....

Not sure you can "run" a football club via remote working.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:27 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Didn't know Dogs were allowed in corporate every home game....?
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:10 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:

If they match my current salary, I'll do it. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:59 pm

Sneag wrote:
Colchester Stag wrote:

If they match my current salary, I'll do it. :D

Heard they moved back from Portugal, kids in school here
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:18 pm

Radfords have never run the club day to day have they? Before Sharpe it was the Broughtons. No idea who it’s meant to be now, is it that Alex Sherriff? A name I’m sure the majority on here haven’t even heard of…
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:43 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Radfords have never run the club day to day have they? Before Sharpe it was the Broughtons. No idea who it’s meant to be now, is it that Alex Sherriff? A name I’m sure the majority on here haven’t even heard of…

I know Alex Sherriff , but I do not know her deputy.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Radfords have never run the club day to day have they? Before Sharpe it was the Broughtons. No idea who it’s meant to be now, is it that Alex Sherriff? A name I’m sure the majority on here haven’t even heard of…

I know Alex Sherriff , but I do not know her deputy.

:lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum