{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crewe scorefred sponsored by let’s win and go top

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crewe scorefred sponsored by let’s win and go top

Postby SelstonStag88 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:33 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:Well...what can you say, I'm not angry but stunned.

After sloppy play giving them the opener, still not sure if it was a pass or a shot from where we sit?

We have everything and pinned them back but very little cohesive play due to the mystifying tactics and substitutions!!
Reed and Brunt still doesn't work, it's one or the other and take one off instead of Maris for first substitution!
Flint flicking on for Akins is basic desperation that will never ever work!!
Swan comes on and sums his season up as he air kicks tap in, woeful!!!
A ref once again that gives innocuous tugs and pushes except on Akins or in the penalty area, talk about consistently inconsistent!!

I disagree about Crewe, well organised yes but probably the least created all season by an away side as they had nothing but the goal we handed them.
Fair play for defending resolutely but our awful game management\substitutions at home once again played into their hands!!

I don't think Crewe were great but saying they had nothing but the goal is incorrect. They missed from 5 yards out after McLaughlins mistake for one.
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tomwh » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:34 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:I disagree about Crewe, well organised yes but probably the least created all season by an away side as they had nothing but the goal we handed them.
Fair play for defending resolutely but our awful game management\substitutions at home once again played into their hands!!

They didn't need to create because of the early gift we gave them. They also could have had another goal or two on the counter, one in particular when Macca made a bad mistake trying to shield the ball out for a goal kick.

We had enough chances first half, dkd missed a couple good chances, but second half we were devoid of ideas, and I agree the substitutions etc were bizzare at best.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Ralphy » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:34 pm

Well that was typical Mansfield!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:37 pm

Wow that was poor…desperate tactics. Putting Flint up front so early doesn’t help at all. Brunt at fault for the goal too, just kick the ball forward. I’m scratching my head with Clough playing 2 holding midfield players and only Akins up top. It’s negative at home! Crewe were average but defensively good…we were just all round embarrassing imo. Flints face at times said it all.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:37 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Well done Crewe best side I’ve seen here in a while ..

Really? We gave them their goal and totally dominated the 2nd half, i wouldnt at all say they were the best side ive seen, Clough just got his tactics wrong for me today. Akins is back to his old self and why push Flint upfront with Swan sat on the bench? We need two strikers in this month for me
Stephen
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:38 pm

Stephen wrote:

Really? We gave them their goal and totally dominated the 2nd half, i wouldnt at all say they were the best side ive seen, Clough just got his tactics wrong for me today. Akins is back to his old self and why push Flint upfront with Swan sat on the bench? We need two strikers in this month for me

Because Swan is useless
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:40 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
mhs wrote:We can’t play on that pitch.
It’ll cost us more points.

Agree. Said it earlier, it’s a massive, massive hindrance to us when we need to break teams down who are sat deep.

So what do you suggest we do this season then?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:41 pm

Stephen wrote:

We dominated the ball in the second half but they managed 5 shots before we managed one, and the two best chances of the half. We didn’t have a shot on goal in the second half for 26 minutes.

Overall though we did more than enough to draw the game, but the finishing wasn’t there. Akins had o w of his trampoline touch games, Maris had a bad one too.

Thought Lewis did well when he came on.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:41 pm

The pitch has nothing to do with it!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Ad » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:45 pm

Ralphy wrote:Well that was typical Mansfield!!

There's the easy way, the hard way and the Mansfield Town way.

I am baffled by the performance considering the win on Monday unless we are just exhausted after the Christmas period. We did look much better when switching to the diamond rather than two holding and Akins on his own up front. I know Swan air kicked his chance but the lad has no confidence and as Oates will be out I'd give Swan longer than the last 5 to 10 minutes.

First league defeat at home though this season and we move onto next week and to League 1 next season! COYS!!
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:48 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Stephen wrote:

We dominated the ball in the second half but they managed 5 shots before we managed one, and the two best chances of the half. We didn’t have a shot on goal in the second half for 26 minutes.

Overall though we did more than enough to draw the game, but the finishing wasn’t there. Akins had o w of his trampoline touch games, Maris had a bad one too.

Never thought I'd say this but he has to get Lewis back in the side, at the expense of the Brunt/Reed negative tactic
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stag324 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:51 pm

If Clough had lost faith in Swann we need to bringing in two strikers this window

Akins is running on empty and needs a rest as does, Brunt, Reed and DKD

We still have a game in hand but how many times over the years have we seen this.

For whatever reason when the pressure is on, we just cant deliver when it matters
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:52 pm

Vintage Mansfield that. Could have gone top. We don't play to the whistle and concede a daft goal within 90 seconds. Then throw the kitchen sink at them and can't finish.

At least those over the other side of the M1 lose in the 95 minute!
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:54 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Never thought I'd say this but he has to get Lewis back in the side, at the expense of the Brunt/Reed negative tactic

Reed is unbelievably negative and offers us no creativity yet we give the ball to him time and time again. His reluctance to get the ball in the box particularly when we have Flint up front is so frustrating, to me he just seems to shirk any responsibility.
Last edited by pemill on Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:55 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:Well...what can you say, I'm not angry but stunned.

After sloppy play giving them the opener, still not sure if it was a pass or a shot from where we sit?

We have everything and pinned them back but very little cohesive play due to the mystifying tactics and substitutions!!
Reed and Brunt still doesn't work, it's one or the other and take one off instead of Maris for first substitution!
Flint flicking on for Akins is basic desperation that will never ever work!!
Swan comes on and sums his season up as he air kicks tap in, woeful!!!
A ref once again that gives innocuous tugs and pushes except on Akins or in the penalty area, talk about consistently inconsistent!!

I disagree about Crewe, well organised yes but probably the least created all season by an away side as they had nothing but the goal we handed them.

Have to agree, tippy tappy football in your owen 6 yard box is suicide, even in schoolboy football.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Bit difficult to not look toothless when we have 2 holding midfielders and akins leading the line
Stephen
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:59 pm

Least said about that performance the better.

We could have played till midnight& wouldn't have scored.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:59 pm

Bottled it, hoping that's not a sign of things to come.

But Crewe at Field Mill is a bogey team, we've rectified a few bogey team situations this season but not this one :(
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:11 pm

pemill wrote:Bottled it, hoping that's not a sign of things to come.

But Crewe at Field Mill is a bogey team, we've rectified a few bogey team situations this season but not this one :(

Well known for our 2nd half of season struggles arent we
Stephen
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PostmanPat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:15 pm

Just please stop putting Flint up front
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:16 pm

Let's not dwell on this. As fans we need a mindset shift. It's one game, let's bounce back and be happy again next week
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:17 pm

this is the way !

the opportunity to go top & we blow it Grrrrrr
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:18 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:this is the way !

the opportunity to go top & we blow it Grrrrrr

easy tiger
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:21 pm

Yet again, let down by a complete lack of striker instinct in the penalty area. Flint isn't the answer. Aikens is picked too readily and Swan must be wondering what he is doing here. Possession not worth it if nothing to show for it.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum