{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Extend Clough's Contract

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Extend Clough's Contract

Postby Gruff » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:36 am

That's my personal view.

I know many of you are in the "if we don't get promoted this year we should get rid" park, but in all seriousness, I am looking at the squad he has built, the way the team are playing, the absolute commitment to the shirt that they all seem to have, and I haven't seen a Stags team this good since the 70's.

It's not just the football-side that impresses me, but it's his calm manner in interviews etc., and although he occasionally calls some of the players out, it's never done in a vindictive way, and I will assume he always talks to them about it.

I've always had a a lot of respect for the Clough name, but seeing the transformation in the club since he arrived is phenomenal. We are riding high in the league, getting around 7,000 for home games (in the winter), and have only lost one league game all season (so far).

Whilst I appreciate we have won nothing under his management so far, there is nobody I would trust more with continuing to keep moving the club forward, so would chuck another 2 years at him if he wanted them.

We all have opinions about the starting XI, players in certain positions, whether the balance is right, what kind of additional striker we need etc. but despite this wealth of knowledge behind the keyboards, NC seems to be defying his critics and producing performances and results that we just don't see coming.

He will have caught to eye of some bigger clubs this season, so although loyalty is a very big thing for him (apparently), he is likely to be high on the list of a number of clubs who would like him to weave his magic there.

If you're not going to reqard a manager for going over half the season having lost only one game, when are you going to???
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Extend Clough's Contract

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:06 am

Great Post.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:14 am

I agree.

I was critical of him at the end of last season especially when he made some mad decisions and his stubborness at times was beyond frustrating when he insisted we were fine with the defenders we were running with.

I think he's swallowed his pride a little bit now when defenders were signed and he realised that they were massively needed.

The big thing moving forwards for me will be the rebuild of sorts required for next season though. We need long term replacements for the likes of Akins and Quinn, and would more than likely need to be looking at someone to cover for the immense Flint as well, to manage his workload if needs be.

Having built this squad and knowing them better than anyone, it has to be Clough to be allowed to do that and not some manager who will waste JR's budget willy-nilly.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:47 am

There’s no need to do anything untill the summer.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:17 am

Should have been extended before now. We wouldn't get anyone better to replace him
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:00 am

I'm convinced that above all else, Clough is honorable and honest. So it may be that JR has already spoken to him about his future plans and shaken hands on a gentleman's agreement.

Offering a new contract right now is perhaps OK, but I'd be inclined to think that it adds an unnecessary complication at a time when Clough is coming up to the crucial part of the season and needing full focus on the job.

They'd have to agree clauses about resources for another League 2 campaign, or a League 1 campaign, pay and incentives based on what may happen this season, and various options should Clough want flexibility. It's a much simpler job to do in May, and if Clough has verbally agreed to stay on next season then that's what he'll do. No more than a quick chat needed.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:15 am

I agree with everything said by Gruff; I'd just like to think that during private conversations between the manager and the owner there's been some sort of gentleman's agreement that whilst everyone is happy then the contract will just keep rolling over.

It's there for everyone to see what a difference Nigel Clough has made to this football club - from the very first moments that he stepped through the door. Agreed, he's not everybody's cup of tea; but you tend to find that those who he isn't don't have much time for many people. Folk who are more pragmatic and forgiving will have seen the job that he's been doing and felt very comfortable with him at the helm.

Yes, he made an error in decisions in the Play Off Final; and he dropped a whopper in the summer of 2022 by taking very little care in the defensive make-up of the squad - which ultimately cost us. However, every single one of us are always on a path of evolution and learning throughout life, and Cloughie has done that throughout his tenure at Field Mill. Give me him over anyone who we've had in recent years - a likable, decent football man, who knows the game inside out and is making fundamental differences to our precious football club.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:39 am

And it's not about promotion. It's about getting a better and better each season, in which case promotion will come and our chances of progressing in division 1 wil come. This is happening under Clough. Clough is established. He is in charge. Change nothing. Just look at Man Utd if you want to see what happens when the manager is not established. And I agree JR and NC will be talking. Honest conversation is worth more than a new contact.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:14 am

For a while, we were buying and signing players that were just mercenaries; paid the highest price to do a job. We've had managers spend big money and throw muck at the wall to see what sticks, regardless of the players personality or temperament.

But it finally feels we've got our club identity back. Opposition fans and managers are praising us, we've got players that are good and honest. Players that would run through brick walls for the team.

You only have to watch the celebrations at the end of the Stockport game to see how much it means to everyone involved.

Mistakes will happen, poor choices will be made, we'll possibly might even lose a game or two but so long as the long term trajectory of the football club up is going upwards then thats all I want.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Colchester Stag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:24 am

Gruff wrote:That's my personal view.

I know many of you are in the "if we don't get promoted this year we should get rid" park, but in all seriousness, I am looking at the squad he has built, the way the team are playing, the absolute commitment to the shirt that they all seem to have, and I haven't seen a Stags team this good since the 70's.

It's not just the football-side that impresses me, but it's his calm manner in interviews etc., and although he occasionally calls some of the players out, it's never done in a vindictive way, and I will assume he always talks to them about it.

I've always had a a lot of respect for the Clough name, but seeing the transformation in the club since he arrived is phenomenal. We are riding high in the league, getting around 7,000 for home games (in the winter), and have only lost one league game all season (so far).

Whilst I appreciate we have won nothing under his management so far, there is nobody I would trust more with continuing to keep moving the club forward, so would chuck another 2 years at him if he wanted them.

We all have opinions about the starting XI, players in certain positions, whether the balance is right, what kind of additional striker we need etc. but despite this wealth of knowledge behind the keyboards, NC seems to be defying his critics and producing performances and results that we just don't see coming.

He will have caught to eye of some bigger clubs this season, so although loyalty is a very big thing for him (apparently), he is likely to be high on the list of a number of clubs who would like him to weave his magic there.

If you're not going to reqard a manager for going over half the season having lost only one game, when are you going to???

If the money is right he will walk.
Colchester Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby zod » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:27 am

Colchester Stag wrote:

Does he need the money realistically? He doesn't come across as a materialistic arsehole.
I can't think of many sides he can nip down the A38 for.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:39 am

I agree with the first post - I would extend his contract if he wants it.

I think location is important to him but whether he would walk or not is irrelevant to the debate.

Listen to Challinors interview , listen to Parkinson and ask yourself who you want to manage your club.

I’m my view we won’t get better.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:55 am

zod wrote:
Colchester Stag wrote:

Does he need the money realistically? He doesn't come across as a materialistic arsehole.

I'm not sure he's ever left a club for more money, either. And he's had a long time at the club's he's been at.

I imagine he's also quite selective; money would play a part, but the owners and infrastructure matter just as much. No point him walking into a shit-show of a club lol
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby pemill » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:57 pm

I'm sure there will be at least a 'Gentleman's Agreement' already in place between John & Nigel.

Complete the job first & foremost, then start talking formal contracts extensions if appropriate.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:43 pm

Think he was on a 'rolling contract ' at Burton
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:07 pm

Clough has done what Sharpe and the Radfords wanted put Mansfield Town into a better position than it was, , and gates have improved, with another all ticket game on Sat.
Clough is pragmatic and knows Money is vital to a league campaign, and Mansfield have many problems with the Pitch and a new stand required to fulfil potential. a mid table League 1.
So money on players, money on the ground and a new stand, So a pound goes 3 ways, while other clubs can spend the whole pound on players.
Clough is the man to take Mansfield to the next level, but the word, some on Stagsnet cannot understand patience.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:36 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:

I think he is more interested in being involved in a project and progressing that project. I hope he signs another contract with us, whether we are promoted this season or not.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:07 am

Love the sentiment of the thread. Away from the football seeing the crowds back, arguing over away tickets etc, its 100% got the town buzzing again.

However now is not the time for distraction.
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:54 am

zod wrote:
Colchester Stag wrote:

Exactly. He's never managed anyone outside the East Midlands/South Yorkshire. The ONLY club that would tempt him within that area is Forest, who aren't going to to hire him in the Premier League.

At his stage in life, he's settled and won't want instability that comes with a high pressure job. He's been there with Derby and Sheff Utd and seen that boards can be fickle and you lose your job quickly. If we go up and he's happy enough, we could potentially have him as long as we want, until he retires.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:14 pm

bear 73 wrote:Clough has done what Sharpe and the Radfords wanted put Mansfield Town into a better position than it was, , and gates have improved, with another all ticket game on Sat.
Clough is pragmatic and knows Money is vital to a league campaign, and Mansfield have many problems with the Pitch and a new stand required to fulfil potential. a mid table League 1.
So money on players, money on the ground and a new stand, So a pound goes 3 ways, while other clubs can spend the whole pound on players.
Clough is the man to take Mansfield to the next level, but the word, some on Stagsnet cannot understand patience.

If Clough is pragmatic then the pitch won't even be a consideration, it's a good playing surface and a couple of postponements a year isn't a major deal.
JR has made it clear about the development of the ground, promotion to L1 would trigger some developments.
So all we are waiting for is promotion. There's no guarantee's that Clough is the man to take us to the next level, and if it ends up being another 'nearly did it' season then it's time to change.

Looking at the current situation we have a squad hungry for promotion, it is looking extremely promising :D
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:22 pm

pemill wrote:
If Clough is pragmatic then the pitch won't even be a consideration, it's a good playing surface and a couple of postponements a year isn't a major deal.
JR has made it clear about the development of the ground, promotion to L1 would trigger some developments.
So all we are waiting for is promotion. There's no guarantee's that Clough is the man to take us to the next level, and if it ends up being another 'nearly did it' season then it's time to change.

Looking at the current situation we have a squad hungry for promotion, it is looking extremely promising :D

I can't agree with that. The pitch is poor, considering all the spending on drainage and re-laying. It's good compared to a 1990s pitch, but we're in a different era. And this team benefits from a good surface, not a muddy and bobbly one.

But more importantly, if the team fails on this promotion bid, unless Clough has clearly lost the plot then he's still the man for next season. Currently he's achieved putting together the best squad in the division, with a great team ethic, and has succeeded in making the club extremely popular at this level. Without gimmicks, and with integrity and honesty. That's no small achievement. We may have won "nothing" as far as trophies is concerned, but he has taken us to a new level.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:45 pm

pemill wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Clough has done what Sharpe and the Radfords wanted put Mansfield Town into a better position than it was, , and gates have improved, with another all ticket game on Sat.

So at the end of a season in which we narrowly miss out, but have shown great promise, you'd sack the proven manager and roll the dice again, risking another Dempster or Coughlan that could set us back another 3 years?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:57 pm

A simple answer to the thread question - Yes without a doubt.

Broomo gets a load of unwarranted stick on this board but every word he said on his post when Nigel was appointed has come true. We all have our weaknesses but Nigel's strengths and above all his honesty far outweigh them. Like may he reign at Field Mill.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:39 pm

Herts Stag wrote:A simple answer to the thread question - Yes without a doubt.

Broomo gets a load of unwarranted stick on this board but every word he said on his post when Nigel was appointed has come true. We all have our weaknesses but Nigel's strengths and above all his honesty far outweigh them. Like may he reign at Field Mill.

Agree.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:11 pm

Herts Stag wrote:A simple answer to the thread question - Yes without a doubt.

Thanks Herts, gives me the chance to repost it and feel a little bit smug :coys:

My second ever post also predicted the abuse!!

"What can you expect if he comes?

First of all he'll simplify the instructions to the players, they'll be in no doubt what their jobs are and if they don't follow instructions they won't last long.

Anyone from the academy who shows signs of promise should be licking their lips. They WILL be given an opportunity. He puts huge trust in the young lads.

He'll sign players you've never heard of and who will probably leave you underwhelmed at first but who will then win player of the season.

He'll freeze out one or two who will have you scratching your head but he'll have done it for a reason.

He'll have you playing pragmatic football at first until or unless you already have the players here to play one and two touch pass and move football.

He'll eventually build a side that has a centre forward who can hold the ball and bring others into the game, there'll be at least one central midfield runner who bombs on and gets double figures goals wise.

He'll build a squad of good characters and he'll do it for buttons.

He'll turn around the career of someone in the squad who is already here and us under rated.

There will be cup upsets, his record when playing teams from a higher level us unreal. He takes every game seriously and expects the players to so the same. 3 major cup semi finals as a League One side shows that.

The Academy will produce talent but that talent will need to be sold until you're at a certain level.

He'll build a side and a team you can be proud of."
broomo
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum