{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Extend Clough's Contract

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Extend Clough's Contract

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:16 pm

I’d have Clough here as long as he wanted to be here, we wouldn’t get any better than him. My only concern with him not having a contract further than the end of the season is what it says to any potential new signings, would you come and sign for a club if you knew the manager that wanted you only has a contract for another 4 months? I don’t know if that kind of thing enters players thoughts though.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:23 pm

broomo wrote:
Herts Stag wrote:A simple answer to the thread question - Yes without a doubt.

Broomo gets a load of unwarranted stick on this board but every word he said on his post when Nigel was appointed has come true. We all have our weaknesses but Nigel's strengths and above all his honesty far outweigh them. Like may he reign at Field Mill.

Thanks Herts, gives me the chance to repost it and feel a little bit smug :coys:

My second ever post also predicted the abuse!!

"What can you expect if he comes?

First of all he'll simplify the instructions to the players, they'll be in no doubt what their jobs are and if they don't follow instructions they won't last long.

Anyone from the academy who shows signs of promise should be licking their lips. They WILL be given an opportunity. He puts huge trust in the young lads.

He'll sign players you've never heard of and who will probably leave you underwhelmed at first but who will then win player of the season.

He'll freeze out one or two who will have you scratching your head but he'll have done it for a reason.

He'll have you playing pragmatic football at first until or unless you already have the players here to play one and two touch pass and move football.

He'll eventually build a side that has a centre forward who can hold the ball and bring others into the game, there'll be at least one central midfield runner who bombs on and gets double figures goals wise.

He'll build a squad of good characters and he'll do it for buttons.

He'll turn around the career of someone in the squad who is already here and us under rated.

There will be cup upsets, his record when playing teams from a higher level us unreal. He takes every game seriously and expects the players to so the same. 3 major cup semi finals as a League One side shows that.

The Academy will produce talent but that talent will need to be sold until you're at a certain level.

He'll build a side and a team you can be proud of."

Wow! That was impressive Broomo. Lottery numbers please!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:25 pm

Sorry Pear but he was at Derby County four and a half years, and is the longest serving Manager Since Jim Smith left in 2001.
As David Sharpe said he did a fantastic job at Derby and they had a squad capable of reaching the Championship play off final .
The C-E-O who gave him the job Tom Glick always said Nigel is our man, just before the take over he left for Manchester City.
The new C-E-O Sam Rush with the owners wanted a Director of Football and a Head Coach but this role was not for Nigel Clough.
He was sacked after a Defeat away at Forest 1-0.
Since then Derby County have been on a role all the way to liquidation and now play in League 1, with Mel Morris the new owner losing over 250 million quid..
The club was rescued from administration by David Clowes when he swooped in to save the club
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:32 pm

Fair play Broomo.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:37 pm

Sorry Pear.
It was Paris i was replying to about losing your job quickly at big clubs
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:39 pm

I was looking back through posts then to see what i had said :D
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:03 pm

Bradders wrote:
pemill wrote:
If Clough is pragmatic then the pitch won't even be a consideration, it's a good playing surface and a couple of postponements a year isn't a major deal.
JR has made it clear about the development of the ground, promotion to L1 would trigger some developments.
So all we are waiting for is promotion. There's no guarantee's that Clough is the man to take us to the next level, and if it ends up being another 'nearly did it' season then it's time to change.

Looking at the current situation we have a squad hungry for promotion, it is looking extremely promising :D

I can't agree with that. The pitch is poor, considering all the spending on drainage and re-laying. It's good compared to a 1990s pitch, but we're in a different era. And this team benefits from a good surface, not a muddy and bobbly one.

Blah, blah, blah about the pitch, moaning for moaning's sake. It's a bit contradictory to say this team benefits from a good surface yet we could be top of the league come 5pm on Saturday and the only league game we have lost was away - using your logic we must have a good pitch. Of course, anything can be improved.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:12 pm

ParisStag wrote:
pemill wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Clough has done what Sharpe and the Radfords wanted put Mansfield Town into a better position than it was, , and gates have improved, with another all ticket game on Sat.
Clough is pragmatic and knows Money is vital to a league campaign, and Mansfield have many problems with the Pitch and a new stand required to fulfil potential. a mid table League 1.
So money on players, money on the ground and a new stand, So a pound goes 3 ways, while other clubs can spend the whole pound on players.
Clough is the man to take Mansfield to the next level, but the word, some on Stagsnet cannot understand patience.

If Clough is pragmatic then the pitch won't even be a consideration, it's a good playing surface and a couple of postponements a year isn't a major deal.
JR has made it clear about the development of the ground, promotion to L1 would trigger some developments.
So all we are waiting for is promotion. There's no guarantee's that Clough is the man to take us to the next level, and if it ends up being another 'nearly did it' season then it's time to change.

Looking at the current situation we have a squad hungry for promotion, it is looking extremely promising :D

So at the end of a season in which we narrowly miss out, but have shown great promise, you'd sack the proven manager and roll the dice again, risking another Dempster or Coughlan that could set us back another 3 years?

I'm not interested in narrowly missing out again thank you very much, not interested in showing great promise - 3 seasons and 6 transfer windows is plenty of time for a 'proven manager' there are plenty of managers who can keep us in L2
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:55 pm

And that's where someone like you completely misses the point Pemill.

Yes success drives a club, but so does stability and continual improvement.

Ask FGR fans how they feel they benefitted from romping the league eighteen months ago. What was the point in that one season of success if you don't back it up by creating a firm foundation and lay down the roots to stabilise your progress?
Will sound weird to someone like you but give me Mansfield Town over the last couple of years than FGR, because there's only one of those clubs looking at their precarious EFL survival.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:19 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:And that's where someone like you completely misses the point Pemill.

Yes success drives a club, but so does stability and continual improvement.

Ask FGR fans how they feel they benefitted from romping the league eighteen months ago. What was the point in that one season of success if you don't back it up by creating a firm foundation and lay down the roots to stabilise your progress?
Will sound weird to someone like you but give me Mansfield Town over the last couple of years than FGR, because there's only one of those clubs looking at their precarious EFL survival.

Good post - my thoughts exactly. When we get promoted I want to stay there
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:38 pm

In F-A cup games non-league clubs gain a big advantage when a poor surface restricts quality players from performing.
Their is no point having a talented squad if the playing surface prevents them from controlling the ball.
Plus fixture congestion can lose you valuable points, top clubs put great emphasis on a good playing surface.
League 1 will not bring the riches to bring a great development plan, players to compete in this league will eat up a much bigger budget.
We already have all ticket games, so our revenue will not increase without huge investment.
Clough has already took the club to the next level, we are in a much better place than 3 years ago. on and off the pitch.
3 seasons and 6 transfer windows and the difference shows, On the pitch.
Having plenty off Managers that can keep a club in league 2 well plenty of clubs including Mansfield have been on that slippery slope
Clough could be lining up his future with only 4 months left on his contract;
And Pemill you can look at all the good times over the last 3 years, and hope Tom Dick or Harry builds from the foundations here now Me im over the moon the club cannot keep up with the success on the field, .
And treating a Manager with your my way or highway, will certainly lead to failure
Promotion or not These are the good times.
I would guess if Clough left now for a New club, you would be the first to call him.
Loyalty works both ways, and i put my money on Nigel
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:16 pm

pemill wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
pemill wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Clough has done what Sharpe and the Radfords wanted put Mansfield Town into a better position than it was, , and gates have improved, with another all ticket game on Sat.
Clough is pragmatic and knows Money is vital to a league campaign, and Mansfield have many problems with the Pitch and a new stand required to fulfil potential. a mid table League 1.
So money on players, money on the ground and a new stand, So a pound goes 3 ways, while other clubs can spend the whole pound on players.
Clough is the man to take Mansfield to the next level, but the word, some on Stagsnet cannot understand patience.

So at the end of a season in which we narrowly miss out, but have shown great promise, you'd sack the proven manager and roll the dice again, risking another Dempster or Coughlan that could set us back another 3 years?

I'm not interested in narrowly missing out again thank you very much, not interested in showing great promise - 3 seasons and 6 transfer windows is plenty of time for a 'proven manager' there are plenty of managers who can keep us in L2

And thankfully, John Radford calls the shots, not you.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:30 pm

broomo wrote:

Broomo gets a load of unwarranted stick on this board but every word he said on his post when Nigel was appointed has come true. We all have our weaknesses but Nigel's strengths and above all his honesty far outweigh them. Like may he reign at Field Mill.

Thanks Herts, gives me the chance to repost it and feel a little bit smug :coys:

First of all he'll simplify the instructions to the players, they'll be in no doubt what their jobs are and if they don't follow instructions they won't last long.

Anyone from the academy who shows signs of promise should be licking their lips. They WILL be given an opportunity. He puts huge trust in the young lads.

He'll sign players you've never heard of and who will probably leave you underwhelmed at first but who will then win player of the season.

He'll freeze out one or two who will have you scratching your head but he'll have done it for a reason.

He'll have you playing pragmatic football at first until or unless you already have the players here to play one and two touch pass and move football.

He'll eventually build a side that has a centre forward who can hold the ball and bring others into the game, there'll be at least one central midfield runner who bombs on and gets double figures goals wise.

He'll turn around the career of someone in the squad who is already here and us under rated.

There will be cup upsets, his record when playing teams from a higher level us unreal. He takes every game seriously and expects the players to so the same. 3 major cup semi finals as a League One side shows that.

The Academy will produce talent but that talent will need to be sold until you're at a certain level.

Interesting to see who the unknown players broomo predicts are now. Some are obvious, some more opaque.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:38 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
broomo wrote:

Interesting to see who the unknown players broomo predicts are now. Some are obvious, some more opaque.

He’s been pretty much spot on tbf!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:50 pm

I don't think I've ever known a better time than right this moment to be a supporter of Mansfield in my 45ish years of supporting them. We may have got promoted a few times in the past 40 years or won the occasional thing, but every time we've been doing well in the past it's always had a sort of inevitable grey backdrop of whether the manager will be tempted away, better players will be tempted away, the owners looking to cash in on better players, the owners not pulling in the same direction or just keeping it ticking over, or just simply a dodgy owner. We've got a great, likeable squad, with a great, likeable manager - we're a great, likeable club right now and we're going in the right direction. I don't want to think of a time when Clough wont be here in the future because what he's given me as manager is the peace to just concentrate on supporting the club, without that inevitable grey backdrop, knowing that the playing side is going in the right direction - and if we lose a game or two it wont be terminal, it'll just be a small blip on an otherwise upward curve, and that combined with the peace of knowing that JR and the other Directors are supporting the club in the right direction behind the scenes is basically everything you'd want from supporting a lower league football club. We're very lucky to have what we have right now, it doesn't mean that there can't be improvements, but long may it continue.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:56 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I don't think I've ever known a better time than right this moment to be a supporter of Mansfield in my 45ish years of supporting them. We may have got promoted a few times in the past 40 years or won the occasional thing, but every time we've been doing well in the past it's always had a sort of inevitable grey backdrop of whether the manager will be tempted away, better players will be tempted away, the owners looking to cash in on better players, the owners not pulling in the same direction or just keeping it ticking over, or just simply a dodgy owner. We've got a great, likeable squad, with a great, likeable manager - we're a great, likeable club right now and we're going in the right direction. I don't want to think of a time when Clough wont be here in the future because what he's given me as manager is the peace to just concentrate on supporting the club knowing that the playing side is going in the right direction - and if we lose a game or two it wont be terminal, it'll just a small blip on an otherwise upward curve, and that combined with the peace of knowing that JR and the other Directors are supporting the club in the right direction behind the scenes is basically everything you'd want from supporting a lower league football club. We're very lucky to have what we have right now, it doesn't mean that there can't be improvements, but long may it continue.

Yes I think whilst I have the odd grumble about the stadium facilities, overall on and off the field this is a pretty much an unprecedented time for us. Clearly the overall catalyst for this period has been our owner but Clough has clearly played a very major part. So just get the Bish done, promotion to League 1 and we'll all be in football heaven :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:07 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I don't think I've ever known a better time than right this moment to be a supporter of Mansfield in my 45ish years of supporting them. We may have got promoted a few times in the past 40 years or won the occasional thing, but every time we've been doing well in the past it's always had a sort of inevitable grey backdrop of whether the manager will be tempted away, better players will be tempted away, the owners looking to cash in on better players, the owners not pulling in the same direction or just keeping it ticking over, or just simply a dodgy owner. We've got a great, likeable squad, with a great, likeable manager - we're a great, likeable club right now and we're going in the right direction. I don't want to think of a time when Clough wont be here in the future because what he's given me as manager is the peace to just concentrate on supporting the club, without that inevitable grey backdrop, knowing that the playing side is going in the right direction - and if we lose a game or two it wont be terminal, it'll just be a small blip on an otherwise upward curve, and that combined with the peace of knowing that JR and the other Directors are supporting the club in the right direction behind the scenes is basically everything you'd want from supporting a lower league football club. We're very lucky to have what we have right now, it doesn't mean that there can't be improvements, but long may it continue.

Great post Mark and I'm same as you mate. We've never been a successful club, we've often been a club with turmoil; we've always been a club that's underperformed and been treading water - not in the last three years, we've been revived as a club and anyone thinking that we haven't made great progress either hasn't lived the low moments or have selective amnesia.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:25 pm

ParisStag wrote:
pemill wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
pemill wrote:

And thankfully, John Radford calls the shots, not you.

Yes indeed, John calls the shots and he's ambitious, I doubt he'll be happy with being the nearly men of L2 no matter who is in charge.

It's looking very good so far this season, they'll be no one happier than me for us to get automatically promoted and fully demonstrate how we are progressing.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:00 pm

pemill wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
pemill wrote:

Not so many that can get us into league 1 though :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:30 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
pemill wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
pemill wrote:

That's my point, some people are happy to stay in L2, that being the case we don't necessarily need Clough to achieve that.
I really hope he doesn't raspberry up this year, by using the same criteria as most on here did/do for Flitcroft, we've had two seasons of failure.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:52 pm

pemill wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
pemill wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
pemill wrote:

That's my point, some people are happy to stay in L2, that being the case we don't necessarily need Clough to achieve that.
I really hope he doesn't raspberry up this year, by using the same criteria as most on here did/do for Flitcroft, we've had two seasons of failure.

3 seasons.

Flitcroft "failed twice" finished 8th after 12 games at the end of the season where with 12 to go Steve Evans moved to China, Peterborough and upset the morale. Then Flitcroft got 4th - losing in the play offs. Only 2 transfer windows and Lost 1 game in the first 20-odd games on 18/19 season. Most of the side he didn't even sign.

Clough succeeded finishing 16th, 7th - losing in the play offs, then 8th. The current window is his 7th transfer window.

I had better stop there before someone claims 12th and did not finish is way better

Clough has surpassed that Flitcroft season this season (I think he's about 4 points ahead, maybe more now after Stockport). So sacking Flitcroft set us back 4 years. I daresay sacking Clough may set us back further. He's finally got a good squad together with strength in depth in all areas (May need to look at defence depending upon Johnson's injury) and to then repeat 18/19 by sacking a manager on the cusp of our goals would be silly. I honestly see us in the autos at the end of the season with what I've seen so far, but if we were to fall short, even if it was last game needing 1 goal and not getting it I wouldn't want him gone.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:23 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:
Gruff wrote:That's my personal view.

I know many of you are in the "if we don't get promoted this year we should get rid" park, but in all seriousness, I am looking at the squad he has built, the way the team are playing, the absolute commitment to the shirt that they all seem to have, and I haven't seen a Stags team this good since the 70's.

It's not just the football-side that impresses me, but it's his calm manner in interviews etc., and although he occasionally calls some of the players out, it's never done in a vindictive way, and I will assume he always talks to them about it.

I've always had a a lot of respect for the Clough name, but seeing the transformation in the club since he arrived is phenomenal. We are riding high in the league, getting around 7,000 for home games (in the winter), and have only lost one league game all season (so far).

Whilst I appreciate we have won nothing under his management so far, there is nobody I would trust more with continuing to keep moving the club forward, so would chuck another 2 years at him if he wanted them.

We all have opinions about the starting XI, players in certain positions, whether the balance is right, what kind of additional striker we need etc. but despite this wealth of knowledge behind the keyboards, NC seems to be defying his critics and producing performances and results that we just don't see coming.

He will have caught to eye of some bigger clubs this season, so although loyalty is a very big thing for him (apparently), he is likely to be high on the list of a number of clubs who would like him to weave his magic there.

If you're not going to reqard a manager for going over half the season having lost only one game, when are you going to???

If the money is right he will walk.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:40 pm

five to three wrote:And it's not about promotion. It's about getting a better and better each season, in which case promotion will come and our chances of progressing in division 1 wil come. This is happening under Clough. Clough is established. He is in charge. Change nothing. Just look at Man Utd if you want to see what happens when the manager is not established. And I agree JR and NC will be talking. Honest conversation is worth more than a new contact.

It really is. Ask JR and he'll tell you the same thing. We don't go up this season and we'll be looking for a new manager in the summer.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:07 pm

That seems to have been your party line since you started following us. Burton have been exceeding their potential for circa 15/20 seasons now. If a team like that can have 2 seasons at Championship level, then given the right ingredients, I don't see why we can't have 3 or 4 at that level. Or yoyo between League One and Championship for several seasons. Especially given that is the Radfords long term aim.

I appreciate that the immediate priority is promotion and establishing ourselves at League One level, so for the next 5 seasons or so, most of us would be over the moon with mid-table League One, but why limit ourselves to that?

For the record I am 100% in the Clough in (and extend his contract) camp and have no problems with yourself and broomo.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:34 am

Dan wrote:
five to three wrote:And it's not about promotion. It's about getting a better and better each season, in which case promotion will come and our chances of progressing in division 1 wil come. This is happening under Clough. Clough is established. He is in charge. Change nothing. Just look at Man Utd if you want to see what happens when the manager is not established. And I agree JR and NC will be talking. Honest conversation is worth more than a new contact.

It really is. Ask JR and he'll tell you the same thing. We don't go up this season and we'll be looking for a new manager in the summer.

Beep
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum