{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stockport scorefred sponsored by we can do it

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stockport scorefred sponsored by we can do it

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:03 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:In our few failed attempt of leaving this division we've had real exciting attacking teams...

This year's representatives not only have this attribute but are the 1st team in my view to have a massive backbone...

Not one bottle job amongst em for me and THAT is what will see us over the line.

What a statement....

Totally agree. We finally look like we're able. Calm, composed and fully competent. No weak links.
Also, love and thanks for you words the other day, CC... "we might be a bunch of gunts but we're you're bunch of gunts" . Well put and all my love to you regarding them

Whilst I agree we have every reason to be hopeful, I have followed this club long enough to know things have a habit of going wrong. Plenty of games to be played, there will be twists and turns. However, I am enjoying watching this season and promotion would be the icing on the cake. Experience has shown me to take one game at a time, enjoy the highs and accept the lows.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:08 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Johnson's done a real tear then. He'll be.out for 6-8 weeks.

Calm down, Doc, not even walked off the pitch yet :lol:

Looked like a hamstring though didn't it, the way he pulled up.

What's that Hitchers?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:11 pm

A very stop start game which was disrupted by the injuries. Not the best of games but very very exciting and a brilliant performance and result.

My MOM was Aden Flint who was a giant at the back followed by Ollie Clarke. I was a bag of nerves after 5 minutes when Ollie Clarke was yellow carded but he restrained himself and harried and chased all afternoon. He did commit a foul on the edge of the area in the 2nd half but the ref did not have a word with him. He was also involved in both goals. He put in some good tackles and also took some decent corners.

Christy Pym made two good saves. Jordan Bowery put a great shift in for the team playing at left back/right back/left back although he was not helped by lack of cover from Stephen Quinn when he came on as a sub. George Maris was the pick of the midfield for me in the 1st half and scored a great goal. Louis Reed did well as a sub and made a few good clearing headers when Aden Flint had been caught in a more advanced position. He also nearly scored in the 1st half. Baily Cargill had a good wrestling match with Kyle Wootton and won his fair share of headers and held his own. He's not afraid to put his foot through the ball to clear it. Stephen McLaughlin was involved in some good moves. He started the move that resulted in Louis Reed's shot being deflected wide. He also blocked/cleared Callum Camps shot in the 2nd half after it had beaten Christy Pym. Lucas Akins worked his socks off up front once he came on and the ref gave him a few free kicks for a change. The Stockport commentators were not happy to see him coming on and said they would rather have Oates up front.

I thought Lewis Brunt and Aaron Lewis had quiet games although Brunt's height came in useful for winning headers.

Stockport sponsors gave MOM to Callum Camps. The commentators gave it to Akil Wright.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:13 pm

Iknownothing wrote:I believe

Excellent user name :lol:
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:31 pm

Flint and Cargill as a pairing are top drawer.

They are even better than when we had Chief and Bennett who were the last pairing who complemented each other perfectly.

So glad Ollie Clarke had plenty of rest to be able to play this game. We all knew deep down we needed an Ollie Clarke in a game like today to stand a chance of winning, and he delivered like we expected him to.

Absolutely immense.

Pym had two saves to make, but other than that we restricted them to very little - their main danger came from Wooton winning long punts, who surprisingly won his fair share against Flint. Nobody can say that so far this season.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:47 pm

BBC Radio Manchester

1st 11 minutes - Match commentary
19m-27m - Stockport fan phoning in and Phil Brown talking about the game.
50m-59m Dave Challinor interview who gets very mardy about the interviewer asking him about the enormity of the game and whether the Stockport players can cope with big games; and seems to cut the interview short.

Phil Brown and Keith Hill talk about the game. Phil Brown tries to make it all about me me me by saying Mansfield won the game with one bit of quality by Stephen McLaughlin who he managed for Southend United. He needs to go to Specsavers because he was talking about Ollie Clarke putting the cross in for George Maris' goal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gzhz34
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:30 pm

Loving their post match interview with their manager.
Seems a broken man
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:31 am

I was there, and I am so happy.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:34 am

I rarely look at other teams forums but the matchday thread on the Stockport forum makes for very interesting reading. 37 pages as well, a proper thread that!!

They think we're basically a big physical team of bullies with no flair.

That"s despite us finishing the game with Reed, Quinn, Lewis, DKD, Williams, Clarke, McLaughlin and Pym all under 6ft tall.

Despite their 10 fouls to our eight in what was a battling match but by no means a dirty game.

It also shows how little attention opposing teams fans pay to style of play as for much of this season our football has been sensational.

To be fair if I based my opinion of them on how much I've watched them, I wouldn't have a clue either.

We certainly got it spot on tactically and it was far from a typical Mansfield display, we pretty much cut out the passing amongst the defence/midfield in our own half totally. I'd say our line up and tactics caught them and their management team by surprise. We did a proper job on them.

Just a brilliant team performance.

As a footnote we are now 11 points better off than this stage last season, we've scored 10 more goals and conceded 11 fewer for a total goal difference improvement of plus 21!!

What a season it's been so far and not too shabby at all for a team of no flair bullies!
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:11 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:22 am

Their fans seem fixated on winning the title as well, you'd think automatic promotion was enough
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:35 am

Life is good in Stockport at present.
A six point double really helps. Lots of people thinking Stags are best team in the division. I have to agree.
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Stoney » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:49 am

Plenty of Stockport fans on twitter and other forums saying we are the best away fans they've seen/heard at Edgeley Park for years too.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:05 am

broomo wrote:I rarely look at other teams forums but the matchday thread on the Stockport forum makes for very interesting reading. 37 pages as well, a proper thread that!!

That"s despite us finishing the game with Reed, Quinn, Lewis, DKD, Williams, Clarke, McLaughlin and Pym all under 6ft tall.

Despite their 10 fouls to our eight in what was a battling match but by no means a dirty game.

It also shows how little attention opposing teams fans pay to style of play as for much of this season our football has been sensational.

To be fair if I based my opinion of them on how much I've watched them, I wouldn't have a clue either.

We certainly got it spot on tactically and it was far from a typical Mansfield display, we pretty much cut out the passing amongst the defence/midfield in our own half totally. I'd say our line up and tactics caught them and their management team by surprise. We did a proper job on them.

As a footnote we are now 11 points better off than this stage last season, we've scored 10 more goals and conceded 11 fewer for a total goal difference improvement of plus 21!!

What a season it's been so far and not too shabby at all for a team of no flair bullies!

Impossible to say much about opposing teams based on the one or two games fans see of them. Their reactions remind me of Stagsnet when we draw or lose.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:17 am

Watched them in their FA Cup defeat to Aldershot and thought we have nowt to fear there.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:10 am

There's more than one way to win a game of football.

You have to be good at several if you want to finish top of the pile come May.

We are effective seemingly in what game plans we employ based on the opposition.
Notts and Stockport both got pressed into playing football in the areas that they aren't comfortable with, and we beat them both on their own patch.

That's what matters.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:12 am

broomo wrote:I rarely look at other teams forums but the matchday thread on the Stockport forum makes for very interesting reading. 37 pages as well, a proper thread that!!

I always enjoy reading opposition forums both before & after the game.

It makes you realise how unexceptional Stagsnet is for hyperbole & over reaction.

Stockport & Newport's forums are a couple of the better ones in terms of pragmatist to petulant brat divides. But just like on Stagsnet after or during a poor result, the more level headed posters get shouted down by the divs.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:22 am

stagmanrob wrote:There's more than one way to win a game of football.

You have to be good at several if you want to finish top of the pile come May.

We are effective seemingly in what game plans we employ based on the opposition.
Notts and Stockport both got pressed into playing football in the areas that they aren't comfortable with, and we beat them both on their own patch.

That's what matters.

That's exactly it, from the high of 39 shots against Grimsby we had one of our lowest games for shots against Stockport (8) - the great thing about this team is that they can mix it up and find different ways to win/not lose. Just because Stockport fans saw us do a number on them and win ugly it doesn't mean that we're an ugly team - we're effective. If they're not careful Stockport could end up having a similar end of season that we did last year from January on, with injuries and cobbling together a team.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:48 am

In all honesty Broomo, I don't think the majority of football fans (throughout the country) actually have the attention span to see past their own team.
How often do we see on this very forum criticism for our own without much thought for others? Donny Rovers just four days ago were given very little credit for coming to our back yard with a thoughtful and considered game plan, which worked.

The vast majority of Stockport County fans have no idea how we largely play as a side; just as the large majority of us lot (myself included) have done little research on them. What I will say is that in the corresponding fixture at our place, we were sensational in that second half in about as good a 3-2 (beating) as you'll see.

As others have pointed out, this manager and this set of players has a whole booklet of Plan's A, B, C etc, after years of sloppy fan comments of "having no Plan B". And the biggest asset that we have is our consistency levels - probably the best over 24 games that I've seen in 40+ years an attender.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:35 am

We only had 37.7% possession and 8 attempts on goal with 3 on target.

None of our players had over 50 touches of the ball which is very rare this season.

Touches
Ollie Clarke 49 (55% Pass Success Rate)
Jordan Bowery 48 (85% PSR)
Aden Flint 48 (44% PSR)
Stephen McLaughlin 45 (68% PSR)
Aaron Lewis 40 (57% PSR)
Louis Reed 37 (75% PSR)
George Maris 36 (78% PSR)
Lewis Brunt 32 (64% PSR)
Lucas Akins 32 (80% PSR)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:44 pm

Have I missed the posts from BigAlstag congratulating the boys and commenting on a fantastic performance. No I thought not - you must have been absolutely devastated with yesterdays performance.
COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:52 pm

Some performance yesterday, I couldn't believe Pym managed to keep the 1st one out, that's 2 massive saves he has done for us in the last few weeks, Sutton away from Harry Smith's header and that one yesterday. He has been outstanding this season.

Also George Maris stats are improving, getting amongst the goals and assists a lot more, fair play to him!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:59 pm

Pym has saved some vital points throughout the first five months. I mean genuinely exceptional saves at crucial points in matches. He's also been safe as houses with his handling. Who'd have thought it?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:03 pm

Superb performance even with the disruption of the injuries.
Some great performances, notably Pym for 2 brilliant saves and Bowery for moving position 3 times. The centre half pairing looks immense too.
As for Clarke, we are just a different team with him in it when he plays like that.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:44 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Pym has saved some vital points throughout the first five months. I mean genuinely exceptional saves at crucial points in matches. He's also been safe as houses with his handling. Who'd have thought it?

Me!
He’s the steadiest keeper in league 2…I don’t mean that negatively. I said last season when the rumours were that he was about to sign permanently we couldn’t do much better…hardly makes any critical errors. I think his distribution is better this season though!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum