{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stockport scorefred sponsored by we can do it

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stockport scorefred sponsored by we can do it

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:53 pm

lifestags wrote:Some performance yesterday, I couldn't believe Pym managed to keep the 1st one out, that's 2 massive saves he has done for us in the last few weeks, Sutton away from Harry Smith's header and that one yesterday. He has been outstanding this season.

Also George Maris stats are improving, getting amongst the goals and assists a lot more, fair play to him!

Pym is a fantastic keeper in my view. Great save yesterday
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:13 pm

As someone who can't get to away games I eagerly anticipated the EFL Highlights programme last night for some decent coverage of the biggest League 2 game of the season......they showed both goals!!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:26 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:As someone who can't get to away games I eagerly anticipated the EFL Highlights programme last night for some decent coverage of the biggest League 2 game of the season......they showed both goals!!!

Shirley every Wrexham game is bigger than the game at Edgeley Park, even if they were playing FGR the TV guys seem to fawn all over them. God help us if they win the League, telly would have a field day.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:28 pm

it was available on Ifollow yesterday. A lot of bewilderment from Martin and Dean on the commo which i found quite entertaining. In relation Oates getting abused by their fans and the ref.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:28 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:As someone who can't get to away games I eagerly anticipated the EFL Highlights programme last night for some decent coverage of the biggest League 2 game of the season......they showed both goals!!!

Shirley every Wrexham game is bigger than the game at Edgeley Park, even if they were playing FGR the TV guys seem to fawn all over them. God help us if they win the League, telly would have a field day.

Don't call me Shirley :D :D :D :D :lol:
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:32 pm

Has anybody else spent time to look at the Stockport results of the season?

First 6 games: 1 win and 5pts.
Then the 12 games with 12 wins: 36pts.
Last 8 games: 2 wins and 10pts.

Take away the obviously tremendous 12 game winning spree and the other two chunks of games have seen a very ordinary return. Could they be the team that drops away, perhaps?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:36 pm

Sooner Stockport go up with us, nice easy trip next year. Don't fancy the trek to Barrow
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:43 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Has anybody else spent time to look at the Stockport results of the season?

Take away the obviously tremendous 12 game winning spree and the other two chunks of games have seen a very ordinary return. Could they be the team that drops away, perhaps?

Said exactly this to my dad yesterday.
Take nothing away from that 12 game run, but it's the main reason they are where they are which I'd say is a false position. They're there to fall away.

I think their fans know this, and more importantly, I think their players also know this.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:54 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Has anybody else spent time to look at the Stockport results of the season?

Said exactly this to my dad yesterday.
Take nothing away from that 12 game run, but it's the main reason they are where they are which I'd say is a false position. They're there to fall away.

I think their fans know this, and more importantly, I think their players also know this.

I’m not so sure about that. If they have taken 10 points from their last 8 games, it means they have only lost 2 (it says they’ve only won 2). If we accept they have also had an injury crisis during that period, that return may not be so bad.

It depends on how many injured players they will get back short term and how many they sign in the now open window. They are an ambitious club with good resources and we shouldn’t underestimate them.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:57 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Those of us of a certain vintage (i.e. dead old) may remember the year Stags won the old 3rd Division because this season has the same vibe.

MotD & ITV Big Match on Sundays were the only game in town if you wanted to watch footy on the telly.
During the promotion season MotD covered Brighton & Palace several times during the season & only mentioned Stags on the last day of the season in these terms (paraphasing Chinny Hill) "Congratulations to Crystal Palace & Brighton on their promotion to Div 2 after Mansfield pipped them to the title"

Yorkshire bloody telly gave no coverage at all despite YTV derbies with Sheff Wendy, Rotherham & Lincoln.

Midlands (Central in new money) covered our trip to Port Vale, unfortunately big chunks of Stagsland could only get YTV back then.

This season we could win the title by 10 clear points and they'll still be banging on about the Wrectum 'fairytale'.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:13 pm

A bit like Football Focus a few days ago Sneag?
Twenty-five years for Nigel as a manager: they spoke about his spell at Burton, they spoke about his spell at Derby, they spoke about his spell at Sheffield United. Never asked him a single question about the club he's been at for 3 years.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:18 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:A bit like Football Focus a few days ago Sneag?
Twenty-five years for Nigel as a manager: they spoke about his spell at Burton, they spoke about his spell at Derby, they spoke about his spell at Sheffield United. Never asked him a single question about the club he's been at for 3 years.

I don't watch Football Focus it's too woke. :lol:
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:24 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I’m not so sure about that. If they have taken 10 points from their last 8 games, it means they have only lost 2 (it says they’ve only won 2). If we accept they have also had an injury crisis during that period, that return may not be so bad.

It depends on how many injured players they will get back short term and how many they sign in the now open window. They are an ambitious club with good resources and we shouldn’t underestimate them.

I'm not suggesting that they should be underestimated Sandy - underestimate anyone in the league at your peril - I'm just questioning their consistency. They're clearly capable of beating teams and going on an impressive run, however, strip away that one solid block of relentless wins and it's 15pts from 14 games.

That 12 game winning streak obviously happened and stamped themselves as the team to beat, but if it was us I think that there'd be plenty of concern that the 12 game streak was a flash in the pan.
Last edited by DoomMerchant on Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:27 pm

Sneag wrote:

Neither do I, I ain't no wokey snowflake woman-lover. I eat steak for every meal, drink beer and only hang out with hard blokes who hate boats. Grrrr!
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:47 pm

Before the game a lot of tension team news comes out Akins- DKD- Quinn left out , A bizarre team selection, our top striker on the bench, poor old Bowery not a full back.
So of course Nigel got it wrong again for some.
But in the Nigel we trust corner we wait and see the game unfold, after trying to play through us Stockport go route one sending high balls into our penalty area.
I fully expected to hear air raid sirens.
Losing two players was a blow. oates and Johnson so we lost a lot of pace, But Akins and moving Bowery did not weaken us,
This win was off the scale and 2-0 did not reflect the effort put in by the Players, once more we saw the unity of the players and can understand why Clough defends them.
Once more the fans played their part and the players respect that.
Once more this season brings Highs and lows, it could be a bumpy ride, This game was one hell of a High.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:53 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Neither do I, I ain't no wokey snowflake woman-lover. I eat steak for every meal, drink beer and only hang out with hard blokes who hate boats. Grrrr!

I bet you cook your steak though ya big girls blouse.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:42 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Who's stopping us now, then?

There's only one team in the league who can stop us and that's the team in second place right now.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:43 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:An absolutely top class performance and result. Every player contributed positively and very hard to pick a mom but I think it’s probably Clarke for me. Jordan Bowery also needs a mention for changing positions so many times in one game and still keeping his concentration on mark.

We shouldn’t underestimate the disruption caused by the lengthy injuries especially the last one at a point we were really starting to turn the screw. For us to keep going in those circumstances is the sign of a very good team and showed a lot of character.

Well done to all and let’s hope the injuries aren’t too disruptive. Definitely need at least one striker now.

And yet some wouldn't even have him in their squad let alone team :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:49 pm

Stockport for me are not the same team without Louie Barry.

He's way too good for this league. Don't know why Oloafe didn't start either. Offers much more than Paddy Madden.

I thought Madden looked accomplished more whe they played us at our place in a midfield role, as he has good footballing intelligence.

They're also without Sarcevic who is also above this level on his day.

And imagine if they could get a tune out of Nick Powell. He was signed by Man United as a youngster for a reason.

I think if they had a fully fit squad, that 12 game run wouldn't look like an anomaly so much.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:35 pm

Challinor said Notts were the best team they will face this season. I said at the time he would change his mind on New Years Day, I wonder if he admitted it or was he still crying because they lost to use rather than win like they did against Notts?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:54 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Are you a lumberjack in disguise?
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zod » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:31 am

five to three wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Are you a lumberjack in disguise?

He sleeps all night and works all day
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:34 am

Does he go shopping on a Wednesday and have buttered scones for tea?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:34 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Stockport for me are not the same team without Louie Barry.

He's way too good for this league. Don't know why Oloafe didn't start either. Offers much more than Paddy Madden.

I thought Madden looked accomplished more whe they played us at our place in a midfield role, as he has good footballing intelligence.

They're also without Sarcevic who is also above this level on his day.

And imagine if they could get a tune out of Nick Powell. He was signed by Man United as a youngster for a reason.

I think if they had a fully fit squad, that 12 game run wouldn't look like an anomaly so much.

This. Stockport have a very good squad and, as someone suggested above, are a well-run, ambitious club. A play off final last year and they'll be aiming for better this.

They will sign players in January to make up for injuries. I also expect Wrexham and Notts to spend to make a push. Barrow will drop out and we may see Walsall or MK make a push for it. Tranmere and Bradford will have better 2nd halves of the season, but I think autos will be a bridge too far for them.

If Stockport, Wrexham and Notts all go out and sign players (which I doubt we will do), surely one of those teams will be unsettled by that and fail to secure an auto spot - which leaves us in a good position.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:14 pm

Mk dons will be up there l think.us Stockport and Wrexham top 3 for me.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum