{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Jan window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Jan window

Postby part time pete » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:57 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Gregory isn't fully lost yet, although it's not likely - I'd imagine that there are clubs now looking to settle contracts with players who are leaving at the end of the season to get them off their books and leave the players as free agents. Gregory will either be happy to kick around at home on a Saturday, picking up wages for the rest of the season - or it may be better financially to come to an agreement with Wednesday then get some football in the shop window before the end of the season and essentially get paid twice for it. JJ has probably done that by getting himself in the shop window. So there is still that market available, I know Clough has spoken about free agents in the past.

LG cant become a free agent unless he ripped up his contract before 11pm last night
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:11 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Gregory isn't fully lost yet, although it's not likely - I'd imagine that there are clubs now looking to settle contracts with players who are leaving at the end of the season to get them off their books and leave the players as free agents. Gregory will either be happy to kick around at home on a Saturday, picking up wages for the rest of the season - or it may be better financially to come to an agreement with Wednesday then get some football in the shop window before the end of the season and essentially get paid twice for it. JJ has probably done that by getting himself in the shop window. So there is still that market available, I know Clough has spoken about free agents in the past.
He is to us. I think the only possibility is a loan to non league. I can’t see that happening unless Sheff Weds drop their demands. There is a scenario that’s just crossed my mind, but it is too horrible to contemplate :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:15 pm

74 pages one in , one out, well done Stagsnet now the window goes two ways and on the out mode we have been brilliant, we have kept all our main players and not been forced to sell to higher league clubs.
We have only made one signing but it is a player Clough has been looking at for quite a while, and we have not put all our eggs into the promotion basket.
The club have made a statement to the players we are happy with the squad, .
As fans once more we ride the roller coaster that could bring promotion its every clubs dream, chasing it has ruined many a club.
Promotion is often achieved or not on the last day of the season, so many games to go, and what a season when the playoffs are failure.
We all go now with what we have got, and results are not always in our hands, belt up could get shaky
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:16 pm

part time pete wrote:

LG cant become a free agent unless he ripped up his contract before 11pm last night

he is still a Sheff Wed player.

Confirmed by Sheff Wed manager today (at around 10 minutes)

So he cannot join another league club this season.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:22 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Has Nigel Clough made a statement regarding our Jan dealings Martin ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:31 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Has Nigel Clough made a statement regarding our Jan dealings Martin ?

Guess we will learn something tomorrow after the victory against County.
Wouldn't be surprised to see LG at the One Call next season if we go up?
Last edited by oldweststander on Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:36 pm

Doesn't work like that. Unless a deal was made to cancel his contract last night then he can't sign for any ither league club. Players have to be without a club as the close of the window to be able to sign outside of one.

I think national league sides can though.....
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:37 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Has Nigel Clough made a statement regarding our Jan dealings Martin ?

No, no Friday press conference.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:00 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Has Nigel Clough made a statement regarding our Jan dealings Martin ?

ok, thanks Martin.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:40 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

ok, thanks Martin.

correction - there is a Friday interview, available on iFollow
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Johnny H » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:16 pm

Really happy with the signing of Tom Nichols.

Personally.....I'm happy that Lapslie didn't sign too cos for me he he wouldn't improve our starting X1 at all, he would be 6th or 7th choice CM and 3rd or 4th choice Att Midfielder too.

Would be interested to see who we did actually try to sign (Aside from Lapslie).
Main Rumour was Lee Gregory who I think we all agree would have improved us.
Who else did we try and sign, Omari Patrick from Sutton?, Sculley from Pompey?, Mason Bennett from Burton ?

Biggest thing now the window is closed is for NC to set us up to attack and win games, something that seems to have been lacking in the 2nd half of seasons in the past.....we are a good side, we need to be on the front foot.
I just hope we revert back to two strikers soon with DKD in behind, not one up top isolated alone with players stood out wide or too far away from them.

COYS......
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:34 pm

I see Owen Mason has also left the club.
Joined Wexford FC again on loan.....Pleased to see him getting game time, he is highly rated !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:10 pm

Johnny H wrote:I see Owen Mason has also left the club.
Joined Wexford FC again on loan.....Pleased to see him getting game time, he is highly rated !

If he's on loan he hasn't left the club.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:18 pm

Lee Gregory has been left out of Wednesdays registered players for the remainder of the season. What a waste.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Lee Gregory has been left out of Wednesdays registered players for the remainder of the season. What a waste.

It really is. I genuinely believe promotion would be in the bag if we had him
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:45 pm

I really don’t get why Wednesday have behaved this way. Lee will get paid , obviously , but he can’t play for 3/4 months. He’s been treated shabbily
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:52 pm

yorkstag wrote:I really don’t get why Wednesday have behaved this way. Lee will get paid , obviously , but he can’t play for 3/4 months. He’s been treated shabbily

Seems they have cut their nose off to spite their face. Why they would rather pay 100% of his wages and not 20-25% of his wages is beyond me. I could maybe understand it if it was a fellow Championship club but it wasn't it was league one.

We aren't fully aware of the facts maybe Sheffield offered him to league on a free but Gregory wanted his full wage he was contractually due, which would indicate why it was a loan in the end.

Like Nigel says about transfers there are 3 parties involved. the 2 clubs and the player. All 3 parties have to be happy for it to go through (unless an unattached free transfer, then it is 2 parties, which is why they are largely preferred) which is why some deals for high value players can take an age to come through. I don't think Gregory is totally blameless, most of that blame goes to Sheffield Wednesday.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:40 am

After the voices of doom portrayed our window as a disappointment or worse, it does feel that something has happened as a result of bringing on one high quality player and more importantly not letting anyone go. Nichols look a really class act.
The difference to a now in form Swan and a highly motivated Boateng is really clear, Macca is looking better every game whilst Williams and Cargill are stepping up to the plate in Rolls Royce style.

In retrospect, this might be seen (and I really hope it is) as one of our better windows.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:43 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:After the voices of doom portrayed our window as a disappointment or worse, it does feel that something has happened as a result of bringing on one high quality player and more importantly not letting anyone go. Nichols look a really class act.
The difference to a now in form Swan and a highly motivated Boateng is really clear, Macca is looking better every game whilst Williams and Cargill are stepping up to the plate in Rolls Royce style.

In retrospect, this might be seen (and I really hope it is) as one of our better windows.

And on the flip side George, Wrexham have done what we did bringing in what we thought was quality and it seems to have upset the taffy apple cart
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:47 am

And we can only hope last night's win was a blip for them!
But likewise for them they got Lee and Mullin to stay in this window. Often retaining is more important than signing
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:50 am

:) Could be a masterstroke by NC , with a lot of players contracts running out.
Signing just the 1 player this window , knowing if he can get promoted with the players we have now , this will give him a chance to add a better quality player in the next window if promoted , which will be needed in league 1.

We have a good squad now & will be interesting where NC would strengthen , which players he would let go .

Lets enjoy the rest of the season & lets get promoted , IN NC we trust :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:51 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:After the voices of doom portrayed our window as a disappointment or worse, it does feel that something has happened as a result of bringing on one high quality player and more importantly not letting anyone go. Nichols look a really class act.

Swan is like a brand new signing. It was in him somewhere, just need to get his confidence back.

Look back to when we got Grant in. Really upset the dynamic of the team.

I remember when Lincoln went up, and the biggest thing they did that season was have the ability to mix up their style of play; ugly long balls or playing on the floor. They could switch that style of play very quickly with 1-2 subs. That stuck with me and it's something we're now doing this seasons.

Exciting stuff
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:54 am

2 games played already for John-Joe-O'Toole at Wimbledon . .
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:24 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:2 games played already for John-Joe-O'Toole at Wimbledon . .

he hasn't started a game. He's come on as sub after 81 and 87 minutes
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:46 pm

Took me ages to read the last 30 pages of this thread (which was entertaining) but I still don’t know who the three players were as they don’t seem to have been confirmed anywhere. We can all assume Gregory was one but where did Lapslie come from and who was the other one?
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum