{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Donny scorefred sponsored by need to score more

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Donny scorefred sponsored by need to score more

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:00 pm

could da, would da, should da tonight !

very lucky Barra & Stockport didn’t win & the Taffs lost

if we sign a striker can he play NYD ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:00 pm

northern stag wrote:i’ve never been a massive JB fan but i thought he was close to being our best player tonight, Maris,Akins and Reed however were not at it. Swan’s contribution was to commit about 4 fouls and Oates couldn’t hit a cows ass with a banjo.
overall Donny were worth a point, no dramas we didn’t lose and will surely play better at Stockport

He improved massively when he went to RB (not a patch on Johnson or Hewitt though) but at LB he was woeful.

See it's this. He was good for 20 minutes or so he spent at RB but wasn't very good at LB. Then people ignore the left back performance and focus on RB and make out he did that all game. He didn't.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:00 pm

there’s not a lot in this league when Donny are down near the bottom, Molyneux and Ironside gave us lots to think about
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby northern stag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
northern stag wrote:i’ve never been a massive JB fan but i thought he was close to being our best player tonight, Maris,Akins and Reed however were not at it. Swan’s contribution was to commit about 4 fouls and Oates couldn’t hit a cows ass with a banjo.
overall Donny were worth a point, no dramas we didn’t lose and will surely play better at Stockport

He improved massively when he went to RB (not a patch on Johnson or Hewitt though) but at LB he was woeful.

See it's this. He was good for 20 minutes or so he spent at RB but wasn't very good at LB. Then people ignore the left back performance and focus on RB and make out he did that all game. He didn't.

disagree mate he was fine at LB too, was on my LG tele anyway :-)
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny H » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:03 pm

JB has been great.......but Macca and CJ are better full backs for me.
Reed has been great...but he has been poor for weeks and weeks now.
They need replacing whilst we have players in better form for me.

My fear is over the next few months we see our best players who compliment each other and the team so well, not starting regularly. (Maris and Clarke)
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:05 pm

Johnny H wrote:JB has been great.......but Macca and CJ are better full backs for me.

My fear is over the next few months we see our best players who compliment each other and the team so well, not starting regularly. (Maris and Clarke)

Can't say someone's better than Bowery. Pear Cider will be onto you next
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:06 pm

Tonight proved we should have not started with the same 11.

A lot of tired legs out there tonight.

We move up to second but are so in need of a plan B, Swann and Oates where very poor tonight.

As for Bowery, I wouldn’t drop him
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:07 pm

It's the moving him from LB to RB to take our RB off and to put our LB on that proper frustrates me.

Just take him off.
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:08 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:could da, would da, should da tonight !

very lucky Barra & Stockport didn’t win & the Taffs lost

if we sign a striker can he play NYD ?

Why lucky Barrow and Stockport didn’t win?

I think you’ll find luck has nothing to do with it. They’ve found it as tough as us! It’s not easy to keep strolling to victory. The table looks good to me.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:10 pm

Slow and predictable
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:17 pm

I only got to watch the second half due to being late so difficult to give a truly balanced view.

From what I saw, I thought we were sloppy all over the park and our passing was generally poor either giving the ball away or leaving passes short. We looked tired and lethargic until Clarke came on and we picked up somewhat. I thought Quinn was unlucky to go off as he was a bright light in the gloom and I must agree that Bowery had a poor game from the half that I saw. That said he has been one of our most consistent so deserves a break.

I’ve thought for some time that Swan brings very little to the team and he was worse than poor tonight. He often gets caught offside when looking along the line and constantly fouls his men breaking any momentum we may be building. I thought the blatant foul on the keeper tonight was especially poor just as we were trying to get forward and exert pressure. He was rightly booked and can have no complaints. I too was surprised when DKD was substituted and thought it to be the wrong move. Perhaps Nigel was resting him for Monday or he had a knock but he is the player most likely to score out of nothing.

We didn’t lose and the other teams also dropped points so it wasn’t the disaster it could have been but we definitely need to up our game if we aren’t going to fall back from the front runners. Let’s just put it down to an average day at the office and move on.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:19 pm

stag324 wrote:Tonight proved we should have not started with the same 11.

A lot of tired legs out there tonight.

We move up to second but are so in need of a plan B, Swann and Oates where very poor tonight.

As for Bowery, I wouldn’t drop him

Agreed, you could see how much better we were when subs came on, can’t help but feel we’ve put ourselves in a poor position for the Stockport game, lots of tired legs that should’ve been rested tonight. The fact we didn’t use Clarke who was brilliant against Sutton and didn’t start against Grimsby baffles me.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 pm

PostmanPat wrote:Slow and predictable

You mean the crowd? I fully agree

Whilst the lads did look leggy and maybe a few changes were needed but for me the crowd didn't help. We're 1 nil up at home in a title fight and instead of getting behind our boys there were people shouting 'pathetic' and 'not good enough'...

Few of our fans need a reality check. We aren't going to batter everyone, sometimes the opposition do there homework, are up for it and sometimes were tired and not on best form. The way to combat that isn't shouting crap at our own players. Try encouraging them, singing a bit and getting behind them.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:22 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Johnny H wrote:JB has been great.......but Macca and CJ are better full backs for me.

When have I ever said that? Again I'm referring to you being over critical. Macca and Johnson are naturally better.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:23 pm

Donny looked sharper and shaded midfield for me, i would have started with Clarke and wouldn’t have taken DKD off as he can always pop up with a goal, i reckon he might have been tapping that head back from Johnson in whereas Rhys was stuck on his heels …. small margins
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:23 pm

SelstonStag88 wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
wink68 wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:That liability that's been an outstanding performer all season. Good one

Yep works his socks off but him and Reed are getting 90 mins tonight when neither have constantly not done their jobs.

Lmao seriously... he's played the most minutes in a team 2nd in the league with only one loss....

Why are we moving him from left back to right back though to take our right back off who's scored and Been our best player. Just take him off direct swap for McLaughlin.

That's the bit that's frustrating

Probably because the right back got a proper whack & stayed down for awhile, literally 2 minutesbefore he got subbed.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:24 pm

It’s probably worth mentioning that it’s also quite difficult to play good, incisive football on the worst pitch in the EFL. Every single pass is bobbling like mad to its intended target.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:27 pm

Did anyone think that if flint let the shot go it went well wide. Instead he stretched for a block that didn't need to be made?

For me reeds the weakest player at the moment. I also thought Akins offered almost nothing bar the odd square pass to a player in space. Oates doesn't impact the game. Swan just seems so low on confidence.

I'd rest Reed for clarke on nyd. We needed his bite, although a few of his passes went astray, it's made up by his energy.

When is Hewitt back?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:29 pm

What a wonderful point that was. Thought the manager could have delayed his substitutions for another 25 minutes or so, though.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Ralphy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:31 pm

Looked leggy and slow tonight, Reed and Brunt can’t both sit in front of the back four as it leaves us short in midfield. One has to come out on Monday and Clarke start also thought some credit should go to Donnie as they worked out how to stop us playing and made some excellent chances themselves. Hopefully we get a response on Monday should be a cracking game
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SelstonStag88 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:31 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Did anyone think that if flint let the shot go it went well wide. Instead he stretched for a block that didn't need to be made?

For me reeds the weakest player at the moment. I also thought Akins offered almost nothing bar the odd square pass to a player in space. Oates doesn't impact the game. Swan just seems so low on confidence.

I'd rest Reed for clarke on nyd. We needed his bite, although a few of his passes went astray, it's made up by his energy.

When is Hewitt back?

I've seen the replay, it's going well wide unfortunately
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wink68 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:33 pm

Didn't deserve anything more than we got tonight. NC pick an 11 and tried to fit them into our system. DKD not the same player when we try and stick him up front. Far better at the point of the diamond where he gets the ball in space 30 yards from goal and dribbles at the opposion. Reed and Brunt can not play in the same midfield. Against Grimsby Brunt was supurb in front of the back four which left Reed looking lost on the right of the diamond. Tonight they seemed to be swapping who played where. Our DM was sometimes Brut, sometimes Reed, sometimes both and sometimes neither of them which meant Donny played through too often. How Clarke does not start is bonkers. Now on to the Bowery debate. He been brilliant filling in at right back, but now Johnson is fit he rightly starts as proved by his MOM performance tonight. Last 3 games at lef back he's looked all at sea. His pace and strength get him out of trouble but the defensive nouse just isn't there. The decision to take CJ off and move JB across was just wrong. The team looked disjointed in and tired first half, but the decision to do nothing about it till they scored cost us 2 pts tonight. Don't want yo be negative, 2nd in the league love our manager to bits and think he will take us up but I think in his own mind he will know he dropped below very own high standards tonight when 3 pts would have made the Stockport game a free hit. Please prove me wrong on Monday Nigel with a win.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:35 pm

I think Nigel gambled on his team being able to despatch Donny even despite them not being at full strength and it didn’t pay off. Played his best team in an attempt to get 9/9 and then the Stockport game wouldn’t have mattered in terms of his 2pts per game target.

Unfortunately, it was evident from about 15 minutes in that we didn’t have the legs in midfield tonight. I was very surprised multiple changes weren’t made at half time, but we waited to go behind before making changes. I then wouldn’t have taken Maris or DKD off, I would’ve taken literally anyone else from the front 6 than those two.

It now puts him in a tricky position ahead of Stockport as surely he can’t use the same eleven again. I’d be interested to know how many other teams have only made one change to their team for the three festive games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:36 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

When have I ever said that? Again I'm referring to you being over critical. Macca and Johnson are naturally better.

I agree. I've said before though that I've no issue with Bowery being backup backup at full back. Macca,Macca and Cargil are better at left back. Johnson and Hewitt definitely. Maybe Lewis and Williams as well (but we've not seen much of this in league games.

Would you not agree with that?

When was the last time I "overly criticised" bowery before you claimed I am tonight? Last 3 or 4 he hasnt been at his recent standard. Pretty much since he lost the right back slot, fairly, to Callum Johnson. When Bowery picked up that knock against Tranmere.should wait his turn on the bench. Recharging before getting a raspberries later in the season. Or we just run him into the ground and increase his injury risk.

Bowery needs to be dropped to the bench for a resr and play up front and compete with Akins. 3 starts up front and scored 1.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:37 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Did anyone think that if flint let the shot go it went well wide. Instead he stretched for a block that didn't need to be made?

When is Hewitt back?

Any defender would go for the block so you can’t fault Flint, I think Akins offered a lot up top and held the ball up as well as he always does but it was the lack of runners that meant he could rarely pick up a pass. Reed was poor and has been a lot lately and I’m not sure where it’s started going wrong for him, whether it’s just the fact the opposition clearly have a player following him around every single game I don’t know because defensively he’s not been as solid either. I don’t know why Oates was brought on out wide when we needed his fresh legs to press from the front as Maris was clearly to tired to keep the intensity up. All in all very frustrating and will be interesting what side he puts out against Stockport.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum