{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Donny scorefred sponsored by need to score more

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Donny scorefred sponsored by need to score more

Postby SelstonStag88 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:39 pm

I'd rather of seen Bowery upfront kept Johnson on and left Swan on the bench.

The pitches aren't bowling greens anymore, heavy pitches just not reeds game. Time for Clarke to start
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Yellaz » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:42 pm

Anyone know what happened mid way through the second half, noticed Clough and Andy garner seemed to be arguing with a fan?
Yellaz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 pm

Yellaz wrote:Anyone know what happened mid way through the second half, noticed Clough and Andy garner seemed to be arguing with a fan?

Yeah some idiot of a fan said something to him and clough told him to do one, those around clapped cloughs repsonse.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:45 pm

What a frustrating watch, we were poor in most areas for much of the game. Reed and Blunt looked a shadow of the Tuesday performance and in the first half, Akins couldn't keep hold of the ball which allowed Donnie to pick up far too much possession.
They had done their scouting on us and were targeting Bowery at left back for the majority of the first half and showed his frailties too often.

For me, take the point from yet another game that we would have often lost in the past and move on.

The bizarre thing for me was too see the fans of a team moving into second place, jeering players, shouting "get him off" about our players and booing at the end. The thought process behind booing this team absolutely escapes me
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:48 pm

Bowery has been excellent this season but when he plays in the left he naturally cuts inside and takes momentum out of a move, now Macca has some minutes in him he should be starting as we get down and around defences when he is on and also Johnson does the same on the other side
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:48 pm

A typical tough slog of a battle that you get in promotion chasing games. Donny came with a plan to not give us the space to play our passing game and it fragmented our success with the ball. They worked hard and deserved their point, with our lads not quite being on it - a lot of miss placed passes and the ball not sticking; the midfield looking a completely different set of lads to three days ago, and nothing working for Akins, Keillor-Dunn or Oates; so an indifferent nights work. Although significantly better than the dreadful home support who offered absolutely nothing but negativity. Even the odd boo at full time - some proper weapons amongst us.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 pm

Yes, it was a below par performance, but ultimately an OK result. No histrionics required.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:50 pm

Well....totally outplayed yet still managed a point.

Looked unbalanced with Reed and Brunt chasing shadows and Bowery on the "wrong" side, as soon as he went RB he put a wonderful cross in rather than turning back.inside at LB.

Let's get back to basics with Reed or Brunt in front of back four, either Mac at LB, Maris, Lewis, Clarke in the middle with DKD behind Gregory :lol:

The subs baffled me tonight, Quinn the only one creating but subbed, then bring Oate's on to RW and have a knackered Maris still chasing their CHs until subbed too and bring on Swan who once again needs a partner as he's weak as wass and contributed needless fouls to take any pressure off them.

A poor night but a point somehow won
Last edited by The Hoffmeister on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:52 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:What a frustrating watch, we were poor in most areas for much of the game. Reed and Blunt looked a shadow of the Tuesday performance and in the first half, Akins couldn't keep hold of the ball which allowed Donnie to pick up far too much possession.
They had done their scouting on us and were targeting Bowery at left back for the majority of the first half and showed his frailties too often.

For me, take the point from yet another game that we would have often lost in the past and move on.

The bizarre thing for me was too see the fans of a team moving into second place, jeering players, shouting "get him off" about our players and booing at the end. The thought process behind booing this team absolutely escapes me

Interesting George that Radio 5 reported Ipswich fans booing their team off tonight too, after an incredible eighteen months.
We've gone half a season losing a single league game and you have to listen to morons getting agitated because things haven't gone our way.

Is it a modern football fan thing or a society thing, because I genuinely don't get it.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:54 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:A typical tough slog of a battle that you get in promotion chasing games. Donny came with a plan to not give us the space to play our passing game and it fragmented our success with the ball. They worked hard and deserved their point, with our lads not quite being on it - a lot of miss placed passes and the ball not sticking; the midfield looking a completely different set of lads to three days ago, and nothing working for Akins, Keillor-Dunn or Oates; so an indifferent nights work. Although significantly better than the dreadful home support who offered absolutely nothing but negativity. Even the odd boo at full time - some proper weapons amongst us.

Have just written the same thing, appears that Garner called a steward over due to the behaviour of one fan, some of the comments tonight were embarrassing and, as you say, the FIs were out in small numbers booing which totally baffles me.

I am a bit worried about how out of sorts, Will Swan looks when he comes on at the moment. He is not even able to judge onside / offside at present. Hopefully he will clear his head soon as there is a good player in there
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:55 pm

Clough’s had a pop at a few fans behind the dugout in his post match interview. Rightly so. We do have some brainless morons supporting us.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:58 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Clough’s had a pop at a few fans behind the dugout in his post match interview. Rightly so. We do have some brainless morons supporting us.

It's a damn shame as all around where we sit there was lots of support, encouragement and spurring on
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:59 pm

SelstonStag88 wrote:I'd rather of seen Bowery upfront kept Johnson on and left Swan on the bench.

The pitches aren't bowling greens anymore, heavy pitches just not reeds game. Time for Clarke to start
Johnson got a whack and was down for a fair bit of time. That's why he went off. Bowery was not the worst player, that was Maris, he was poor tonight. Doncaster missed three easy chances first half. We deserved what we got, a point. Luckily that's all Barrow and Stockport got and Wrexham got nowt. I will take that and move on.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:00 pm

Think quite a few were surprised he kept the same side as boxing day, even more so at halftime when it was blatantly obvious changes were made.

However, wins at crawley, sutton on boxing day and a draw today is a good return especially as the top sides didn’t win either, just a massive missed chance.

Surprised by the criticism of bowery, seemingly the one to go for.

Massively surprised to hear some boos also, like what?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Ad » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:01 pm

Frustating performance but ultimately still a point and up to second. Would start Clarke on NYD in place of Reed and Macca at LB, no criticism of Bowery but I'd prefer him as a forward option against Stockport. COYS!!
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:05 pm

As frustrating as tonight's game was, booing player off that have lost 1 in 23 is insane.

Reed/Brunt partnership just didn't work tonight & I think that had a knock on effect all over the pitch. Too often they seemed to have a player spare when attacking & by our high standards we created little.

On the positive side we didn't lose & if we are in the top 3 at the end of the season no one will give this game a seconds thought.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Ad » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:18 pm

Sneag wrote:As frustrating as tonight's game was, booing player off that have lost 1 in 23 is insane.

Reed/Brunt partnership just didn't work tonight & I think that had a knock on effect all over the pitch. Too often they seemed to have a player spare when attacking & by our high standards we created little.

On the positive side we didn't lose & if we are in the top 3 at the end of the season no one will give this game a seconds thought.

Agreed, having them both covering meant we lost some creativity and gave them a bit more space.
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:21 pm

I don't know why folk are surprised at the boos, you only need to look on here to understand there is a small but stupid undercurrent to our support who can't wait for even the slightest blip.

Apparently we're in a difficult position going into the Stockport game, christ on a bike.

Donny were very good for 70 minutes, we were under par.

If ANYONE in the world can explain how the penalty wasn't given I'd love to hear it. The ref was raspberry all evening and then has the balls to book NC presumably for pointing that out.

I detest refs who book players or managers for pointing out they made a massive, massive mistake.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:26 pm

broomo wrote:I don't know why folk are surprised at the boos, you only need to look on here to understand there is a small but stupid undercurrent to our support who can't wait for even the slightest blip.

Apparently we're in a difficult position going into the Stockport game, christ on a bike.

If ANYONE in the world can explain how the penalty wasn't given I'd love to hear it. The ref was raspberry all evening and then has the balls to book NC presumably for pointing that out.

I detest refs who book players or managers for pointing out they made a massive, massive mistake.

Best guess is "evening it up" for a very slight push on Brunt that disallowed their goal. I'd have preferred theirs disallowed and us a penalty but it wasn't t to be.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:28 pm

We've always had offensive term removed behind the dugout for many a year. I've seen and heard them in the past and it was a contributing factor to me moving to the upper tier the season before this.
They are proper whoppers who look and act like they are on day release to come to games.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:32 pm

Couldn’t make the game tonight but reading through the comments it seems like we lost the game, the players were rubbish and the manager doesn’t have a clue. I just looked at the table and my team Mansfield are in 2nd place with games in hand over some very good teams and we’ve only lost 1 game. Not seen that much in the last 50 odd years . Up the stags
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:51 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Couldn’t make the game tonight but reading through the comments it seems like we lost the game, the players were rubbish and the manager doesn’t have a clue. I just looked at the table and my team Mansfield are in 2nd place with games in hand over some very good teams and we’ve only lost 1 game. Not seen that much in the last 50 odd years . Up the stags

We were so flat and made lots of mistakes and all three results could have happened.
The, difference is that we got a point and we move on
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:31 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:You're not allowed to point out Bowery. That one good block he does a game is plenty for some. He's been rinsed by the right winger and/or right back for the 3rd game in a row.

He tries bless him but he's been in no man's land multiple times. Just some don't want to see it.

You can if its justified. You've got a clear issue with him and don't acknowledge the positives. You've been like it for ages and it's boring.

You don't acknowledge my point made to wink either.

Try going to a game for once

Absolutely right, Bowery was far from our worst player tonight yet some just can't wait for him to have a below par game (he struggled first half but was much, much better 2nd half). For me our biggest weakness tonight was our touch, we surrendered possession far too easily and for me the main culprits were the forward players, Lucas had his worst game in ages, DKD was well off the pace and as others have mentioned both Brunt and Reed were below par - that's four of our big players having off days and that is why we did not win the game, it was nothing whatsoever to do with Bowery, Johnson or any of the defenders who generally did OK and meant Pym had very little to do again.

On the plus side I thought Macca looked very sharp and would probably start him either at Stockport or against Crewe, he's absolute class and a natural on the left. Other than that, not a great night but credit to Donny who deserved a point, League 2 is strong this season and there are few easy games (unlike the Conference).
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:53 am

broomo wrote:I don't know why folk are surprised at the boos, you only need to look on here to understand there is a small but stupid undercurrent to our support who can't wait for even the slightest blip.

I think the ref would say that CJ moved his legs toward the defender initiating the contact, wrongly IMO but that's what the justification would be.

I looked at the lino when the ref didn't give it, as he was closer to the incident but we got nada.

As others have said the ref dropped an even bigger goolie in disallowing what seemed a good goal for them.

Fair result in the end, similar to their place.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum