{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Donny scorefred sponsored by need to score more

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Donny scorefred sponsored by need to score more

Postby diablo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:29 am

wink68 wrote:Didn't deserve anything more than we got tonight. NC pick an 11 and tried to fit them into our system. DKD not the same player when we try and stick him up front. Far better at the point of the diamond where he gets the ball in space 30 yards from goal and dribbles at the opposion. Reed and Brunt can not play in the same midfield. Against Grimsby Brunt was supurb in front of the back four which left Reed looking lost on the right of the diamond. Tonight they seemed to be swapping who played where. Our DM was sometimes Brut, sometimes Reed, sometimes both and sometimes neither of them which meant Donny played through too often. How Clarke does not start is bonkers. Now on to the Bowery debate. He been brilliant filling in at right back, but now Johnson is fit he rightly starts as proved by his MOM performance tonight. Last 3 games at lef back he's looked all at sea. His pace and strength get him out of trouble but the defensive nouse just isn't there. The decision to take CJ off and move JB across was just wrong. The team looked disjointed in and tired first half, but the decision to do nothing about it till they scored cost us 2 pts tonight. Don't want yo be negative, 2nd in the league love our manager to bits and think he will take us up but I think in his own mind he will know he dropped below very own high standards tonight when 3 pts would have made the Stockport game a free hit. Please prove me wrong on Monday Nigel with a win.

Completely agree...maybe the Manager is tired too... Clarke has to start... Brunt in the defensive midfield role ..DKD in the hole behind the Strikers...Macca and Johnson left and right backs...a lot of tired legs out there..Bowery, Akins and Reed largely ineffective..last night was typical Stags performance playing against a team near bottom of the League, similar to the games in August against them, although the game after those we beat Stockport 3-2 , hopefully Deja vu...thought Pym was excellent again...We are 2nd in the Table with a game in hand, things will settle down after New Year when we hopefully get another Striker
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:31 am

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:I don't know why folk are surprised at the boos, you only need to look on here to understand there is a small but stupid undercurrent to our support who can't wait for even the slightest blip.

Apparently we're in a difficult position going into the Stockport game, christ on a bike.

Donny were very good for 70 minutes, we were under par.

If ANYONE in the world can explain how the penalty wasn't given I'd love to hear it. The ref was raspberry all evening and then has the balls to book NC presumably for pointing that out.

I detest refs who book players or managers for pointing out they made a massive, massive mistake.

Best guess is "evening it up" for a very slight push on Brunt that disallowed their goal. I'd have preferred theirs disallowed and us a penalty but it wasn't t to be.

It was offside their goal? Lino flagged
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:08 am

Sneag wrote:
broomo wrote:I don't know why folk are surprised at the boos, you only need to look on here to understand there is a small but stupid undercurrent to our support who can't wait for even the slightest blip.

Apparently we're in a difficult position going into the Stockport game, christ on a bike.

If ANYONE in the world can explain how the penalty wasn't given I'd love to hear it. The ref was raspberry all evening and then has the balls to book NC presumably for pointing that out.

I detest refs who book players or managers for pointing out they made a massive, massive mistake.

I think the ref would say that CJ moved his legs toward the defender initiating the contact, wrongly IMO but that's what the justification would be.

I looked at the lino when the ref didn't give it, as he was closer to the incident but we got nada.

As others have said the ref dropped an even bigger goolie in disallowing what seemed a good goal for them.

Fair result in the end, similar to their place.

The ref was a good distance away, and I don't think that he had an unobstructed view, so his excuse would be that he didn't see the trip. The linesman had a very good view, but it looks like assistant referees are never involved in the decision making unless it's for a red card.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:13 am

We were very poor tonight.playing reed and brunt in the same position doesn't work.macca is the best left back.bowery better at right back but cj is much better there.l would rest bowery or play him up front with akins and dkd just behind.still moved up to 2nd with probably our worst performance of the season
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:26 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Best guess is "evening it up" for a very slight push on Brunt that disallowed their goal. I'd have preferred theirs disallowed and us a penalty but it wasn't t to be.

It was offside their goal? Lino flagged

Can you be offside from a corner? From the highlights, you can see the shove on Brunt, the attempt on goal that the player has and then Flint clears against Bowery and it goes in. Ref blows and when the Doncaster players looked at the ref he made a pushing motion. The push is there but if that is what it takes to get goals disallowed then there will be so many goals disallowed and penalties given.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:27 am

Identify the dickheads behind dugout and ban them. No place this season for negative useless folk who seem to want to win every game 5 nil
Look at Arsenal against West Ham
It’s footy
Well done Nigel for popping them
Get them out
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:52 am

If one is a regular poster on here as is said.....amd just loves to abuse, get him blocked or just name him...simples
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:27 am

Rob wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:You're not allowed to point out Bowery. That one good block he does a game is plenty for some. He's been rinsed by the right winger and/or right back for the 3rd game in a row.

He tries bless him but he's been in no man's land multiple times. Just some don't want to see it.

You can if its justified. You've got a clear issue with him and don't acknowledge the positives. You've been like it for ages and it's boring.

You don't acknowledge my point made to wink either.

Try going to a game for once

Absolutely right, Bowery was far from our worst player tonight yet some just can't wait for him to have a below par game (he struggled first half but was much, much better 2nd half). For me our biggest weakness tonight was our touch, we surrendered possession far too easily and for me the main culprits were the forward players, Lucas had his worst game in ages, DKD was well off the pace and as others have mentioned both Brunt and Reed were below par - that's four of our big players having off days and that is why we did not win the game, it was nothing whatsoever to do with Bowery, Johnson or any of the defenders who generally did OK and meant Pym had very little to do again.

On the plus side I thought Macca looked very sharp and would probably start him either at Stockport or against Crewe, he's absolute class and a natural on the left. Other than that, not a great night but credit to Donny who deserved a point, League 2 is strong this season and there are few easy games (unlike the Conference).

This is how I saw the match rob.

If you look at how the other top teams performed, only Notts had a handsome win, so maybe players on a dip is not a problem unique to Mansfield at the moment.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:56 am

Another draw. We are first to 10 draws. Doncaster have drawn 50% of their games against the Stags but then again Colchester and Gillingham can say the same. Echoes of season 2018-19 under Flitcroft when we also only lost one game at the turn of the year. P24 W11 D12 L1. We lost the.next game and then started to turn the draws into defeats. Hope for better this season as we will probably need 6 more points than 2018-19 for automatic promotion.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:57 am

We just looked a little off it last night, couldn’t find our Composure, fair play to donny, I thought tactically they did well.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:03 pm

broomo wrote: The ref was raspberry all evening and then has the balls to book NC presumably for pointing that out.

Disagree completely, its after the final whistle and the ref is hardly likely to go and give us a penalty at that point, he made a mistake let it go.

After what happened in Turkey, no need to start pointing and having a go at referees after the game, this leeks into grassroots football as it seems ok to have a go.

I’d have sent him off personally.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:05 pm

Frustrating night.

No Clarke at the start. Answers on a postcard please as I just don't get it.

Bowery's selection v Stockport will divide opinion. In my view he has done nothing wrong (although he struggled first half against Molyneux, their best player) but Johnson is a better right back.
On the left Macca is clearly more experienced and works very well with Quinn in front of him, so on balance I would leave JB out for this one.

Our bigger issues are up front. Akins had a poor game for his standards and I wouldn't have taken DKD off.

Oates. So frustrating, offered little and didn't look interested to me. Swan did even less. I have no idea where his head is at. Both really really poor.

This on a night Langstaff scores 4. The top 4 are going well and MK Dons, Clownty and maybe Bradford will be closing down the gap.

If that performance up front doesn't convince Nigel to get JR to open his wallet in January for a goalscorer, I don't know what will.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:33 pm

Also just to point out, I think that’s Quinn’s 7th assists this season, impressive!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:34 pm

BigGuy wrote:
broomo wrote: The ref was raspberry all evening and then has the balls to book NC presumably for pointing that out.

Disagree completely, its after the final whistle and the ref is hardly likely to go and give us a penalty at that point, he made a mistake let it go.

After what happened in Turkey, no need to start pointing and having a go at referees after the game, this leeks into grassroots football as it seems ok to have a go.

Agreed. Broomo is happy for the manager to go over to the ref and ‘point out his mistake’ but detests fans who have a different opinion to his precious Nige.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:37 pm

ST4GS wrote:Another draw. We are first to 10 draws. Doncaster have drawn 50% of their games against the Stags but then again Colchester and Gillingham can say the same. Echoes of season 2018-19 under Flitcroft when we also only lost one game at the turn of the year. P24 W11 D12 L1. We lost the.next game and then started to turn the draws into defeats. Hope for better this season as we will probably need 6 more points than 2018-19 for automatic promotion.

Better players
Better manager
More squad depth

Of course a win and a loss is better than 2 draws but if we keep the mentality we’ve got we’d be doing just fine, exactly 2 PPG is just fine.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:56 pm

lifestags wrote:Also just to point out, I think that’s Quinn’s 7th assists this season, impressive!

Good to see the ‘Stevie Shuffle’ still going strong for the assist, an incredible bit of play.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:10 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
BigGuy wrote:

Agreed. Broomo is happy for the manager to go over to the ref and ‘point out his mistake’ but detests fans who have a different opinion to his precious Nige.

I also detest people who throw out that garbage line about "my precious Nigel".

Die you see the booking? Nigel went over, shook the officials hands said 3 or 4 words, turned away, then turned back, hands behind his back, no shouting, no aggression, yellow card.

I'd say the same about any manager or player. I hate it when they make a mistake then compound that mistake by being too precious to admit it.

He made 4 or 5 glaring errors, who if not the manager gets to point that out?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:25 pm

So by that virtue you encourage the harassment of referees then?

He didn’t get booked for telling the ref their dinner date was now off.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:26 pm

broomo wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
BigGuy wrote:

I also detest people who throw out that garbage line about "my precious Nigel".

Die you see the booking? Nigel went over, shook the officials hands said 3 or 4 words, turned away, then turned back, hands behind his back, no shouting, no aggression, yellow card.

I'd say the same about any manager or player. I hate it when they make a mistake then compound that mistake by being too precious to admit it.

He made 4 or 5 glaring errors, who if not the manager gets to point that out?

"You're a blind raspberry ref" will usually end in a booking even when accompanied by a hearty handshake. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:16 pm

BigGuy wrote:So by that virtue you encourage the harassment of referees then?

No I don't encourage the harassment of referees.

Yes I do think they should be accountable foe their mistakes.

Did you see the booking? Do you think that was harassment?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:28 pm

broomo wrote:
BigGuy wrote:So by that virtue you encourage the harassment of referees then?

No I don't encourage the harassment of referees.

Yes I do think they should be accountable foe their mistakes.

Did you see the booking? Do you think that was harassment?

So he booked him for nothing, is that what you are claiming? Big Guy is right, the sort of abuse refs get after a game is more dangerous at grass roots level than during a game. Nigel and other managers should be setting an example, it was behaviour expected of Evans, he's a lowlife, but Nigel is better than that.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:46 pm

I don't think it is controversial to say that the referee had a poor game but if he believed that what Clough said to him at the end was abusive then it was right to book him.
Managers have recourse after the end of the match to speak to the referee and that isn't on the pitch.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:22 pm

Well once more fans believe the Stags have a divine right to win, and so many fans who know how to pick a winning team.
But somehow are watching Mansfield instead of making a future for them selves, so many clubs are looking for these football icons.
Doncaster came with plan to beat the Mighty Stags and their fans came to support their club in their effort, not to watch a Mansfield team turn up and just win.
.After the final whistle they deserved a point, and Mansfield gave it a good go but could not get a winning goal.
And Barrow + Stockport failed to win proving teams do fail to win,
Oh and big spending Wrexham lost. Meaning our lads effort put us 2nd in the league, and have only lost once in 23 games.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:56 pm

wish we had won last night, oh well we move on
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:10 am